FM23 - In match stadiums?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, QPRSteve said:

One new thing I noticed when playing a save in Germany is flares going off in the stands.  First time I noticed one I thought a fire had broken out!

Flares have been there for an eternity - whether they disappeared for a while after the FM18 change I can't remember.

Yeah, flares in the crowd are another one of those small things FM17 had that added to the immersion.  Eastern European crowds and South American crowds had them in the main for the big games, mirroring real life to some extent (you wouldn't see them in the British leagues for example, but the Bucharest derby, or Boca Juniors v River Plate etc, you'd often see them).  I think they were removed in FM18 and onwards.

Edited by Erimus1876

On 09/11/2022 at 20:07, Druid DR said:

A stadium editor would be a headline feature worthy of the name "headline feature!  Heck, SI could even release it as a paid for DLC and it'd still be massively popular imo.  But failing that, the very least they could do is give us back the wealth of different stadiums we had back in Fm17.  After 17 they replaced them all with the garbage looking generic ones we've had for the past 6 years.

Every time this kind of topic comes up, I'll continue to post screenshots of what we once had... for nostalgia. and to show new players to FM (and SI) how great this game once looked and how a growing number of players wish it'd look like again someday..

A small selection of FM17 Stadiums in all their glory.  Please bring them back SI, ... we've been waiting 6 years now.

20220115203535_1.thumb.jpg.a5cad61404d0f3eacdd477ead9386c9b.jpg20221016165449_1.thumb.jpg.2471ee0e3419199a14b16faba15ca5ad.jpg20220129133155_1.thumb.jpg.8a73b85b5ea136f19fa3957b82b52e8a.jpg20220130145302_1.thumb.jpg.7a361f3cd32bd19f01e70e9409bbdc6a.jpg20220111121455_1.thumb.jpg.693d0f3d1786052e575950638ae04f88.jpg20221016165528_1.thumb.jpg.a4e86a8e656718e672c3a492c1618eb6.jpg20220124223552_1.thumb.jpg.a29856633dbeda3016a2a9a8d8710db0.jpg20221017185502_1.thumb.jpg.cea333280dc7dfce7333976da477b805.jpg20220109230740_1.thumb.jpg.84653ab7b538eb032e8b27ce833197da.jpg20220216195415_1.thumb.jpg.6b7ae58a2162f5e5c498c49ba561c72c.jpg20221017185457_1.thumb.jpg.1a83596f8348751c710833f11e988466.jpg20221016165413_1.thumb.jpg.ade94752749782ad4160135c67a50ffc.jpg20220113183030_1.thumb.jpg.e613ed66c3c3fb810a765fe96e62e92b.jpg20210930095453_1.thumb.jpg.17c120ba929db995bbae984f6e9cf5aa.jpg

Gees, if they just re-released these next year it would be a better "headline feature" than anything in the past 2-3 games.

I think it would be impossible for SI to construct tens of thousands of stadiums/fields. So I think the best solution would be to open the possibility to users to mod and share stadiums like in flight simulator communities.

I tried the resource archiver method of changing the xmf file but I can't for the life of me get the damn archiver to extract the edited comp data file back to the game files. 

When I extract the resource via the archiver it turns it into a regular folder so when I use the resource archiver to try and return it back I end up going down a blind ally because it's not a single fmf file anymore. 

What have I missed? 

Only thing the OOTP community does better then FM is the stadiums. They have less then a dozen employees if they can do it SI can do it. Should do their top 5 leagues with license then release a mod editing tool so the community can do the rest of them. 

I spend much more time in the stadiums in FM then in OOTP and it is kind of a killer disappointed. Not just the actual building but even the atmosphere is just completely off. While OOTP and baseball have a much easier time at doing baseball atmosphere cause 90% of the games/teams/stadiums there isnt much of one. But football  and FM atmosphere is huge in that world. 

So the actual infrastructure and atmosphere of stadiums need huge work. Not squad planner

8 hours ago, Matt_no_7 said:

I tried the resource archiver method of changing the xmf file but I can't for the life of me get the damn archiver to extract the edited comp data file back to the game files. 

When I extract the resource via the archiver it turns it into a regular folder so when I use the resource archiver to try and return it back I end up going down a blind ally because it's not a single fmf file anymore. 

What have I missed? 

Did you get it to work?  If not replace your comp editor file with this one.

comp editor.fmf

On 12/11/2022 at 05:27, rp1966 said:

I wouldn't be as bothered about time spent on the manager avatar if it was actually used somewhere - you see it in full on the start screen and nowhere else.  In the match graphics it's too small to see any detail - why no cut scene manager reactions; that might justify it (maybe there's a special internal build with MilesCam so that he can gaze lovingly at his own avatar throughout every game).  Or on the profile page - why not show a full scale avatar there with body language reflecting recent team performance.  Just why does it exist?

Anyway, that digresses from the subject at hand.  If half the effort put into the avatar had been put into the stadium and surrounds the match visulisation would be in a much better place.

It is even the 3d newgens. you cant see their faces on the pitch anyway so why waste resources on 3d modeling the faces for profile pics????? better off using high quality 2d pics and just some kind of links to have the 3d model in match engine use same skin, hair etc.

if you are going to do 3d modeling then you better do it right. SI has great ideas but a lot of failed implementation in the real world. ive only been playing fm since fm19 but exactly the same graphics, atmosphere, stadiums, newgen pics etc and it is starting to be really annoying.

SI time to step up for fm24. 

On 12/11/2022 at 16:21, Choi seung won said:

I wish Miles didn't care about this useless 3d manager's face, but only about the stadium.

If you don't like that, I'd like to at least make a stadium editor.

Again, customizing the manager's appearance is a really, really, really useless feature.

캡처.PNG

Especially customizing it as horrifically as that. 

The ever-increasing cartoonization of FM's graphics has been a blight on the game for years.

7 hours ago, alian62 said:

First two are 10000 with various ages . The third is 8000 with no roof

bays 10000.png

bays.png

cockburn no roof 8000.png

Nice job, yours look better than the ones that come as standard.  They have a little more 'character' at least .  But your screenshots highlight just how bad the lighting is in the latest FM... as in its non existent.  Compare that to the lighting in the FM17 screenshots posted earlier in the thread.  Its like night and day (pun intended).   Sadly FM23 graphics look like they're from a game made in the early 2000's.  

Edited by Erimus1876

In terms of development of stadiums, it really shows, that Adding more variety to stadiums or making a stadium visual editor is a low priority for SI Dev team.

Not sure if this related, but personally it is tied to what Miles said, almost a decade ago, that they do not want FIFA graphics... :seagull: I don't like this comment, because, people say its lack of competition, SI is not pushing things forward in Football Manager. No its comments like this. And promote features that are ugly like Miles did with faces, as okay quality feature. No dammit, I demand more and better from SI. (demand  is strong word, I know but I think SI can do much, much more and better). The Evolution should be more evolutionary then we have today. Its okay to do small evolution of features in FM, because the fans will buy it regardless what they do (yes I'm part of that demographic). They have no incentive to change their ways (developing and communicating with us), if the current way it is a success for them.

My only hope, is actually women's football will be a revolution in Football Manager, then the small evolution of fluff we had in recent years. But even that I expect more of the same evolution we have in recent years.

PS: I for one would be okay, if they say: "We have developing a new graphic engine with Unreal or Unity or a new in house Miles Graphics Evolution Engine, so expect little progress in upcoming few releases." I for one would understand, not complain about that. I would be eager to see what they would develop (and time to time they make a Dev diary video and share with us how progress is coming along, much like Paradox is doing). However what we currently have, of leaving us blind, doesn't help either.

57 minutes ago, grade said:

In terms of development of stadiums, it really shows, that Adding more variety to stadiums or making a stadium visual editor is a low priority for SI Dev team.

Not sure if this related, but personally it is tied to what Miles said, almost a decade ago, that they do not want FIFA graphics... :seagull: I don't like this comment, because, people say its lack of competition, SI is not pushing things forward in Football Manager. No its comments like this. And promote features that are ugly like Miles did with faces, as okay quality feature. No dammit, I demand more and better from SI. (demand  is strong word, I know but I think SI can do much, much more and better). The Evolution should be more evolutionary then we have today. Its okay to do small evolution of features in FM, because the fans will buy it regardless what they do (yes I'm part of that demographic). They have no incentive to change their ways (developing and communicating with us), if the current way it is a success for them.

My only hope, is actually women's football will be a revolution in Football Manager, then the small evolution of fluff we had in recent years. But even that I expect more of the same evolution we have in recent years.

PS: I for one would be okay, if they say: "We have developing a new graphic engine with Unreal or Unity or a new in house Miles Graphics Evolution Engine, so expect little progress in upcoming few releases." I for one would understand, not complain about that. I would be eager to see what they would develop (and time to time they make a Dev diary video and share with us how progress is coming along, much like Paradox is doing). However what we currently have, of leaving us blind, doesn't help either.

Until I see a development plan that states otherwise, Womens football will completely dominate the headline features of this game for the next edition IMO. I’m not against having womens football in the game, it’s a good thing for sure, but the audience is limited. Or people will play it for a season and then move straight back to the mens game. It is what it is. 

All I can see is everything else being put on hold to accommodate the inclusion of womens football…and everyone loses that way.

The stadiums in this game are horrifically bad and no one from SI ever engages in a conversation about it. As someone stated above, the match day experience is the pinnacle of a football manager simulation - this game massively let’s it down. 

Edited by Just4Downloads

1 hour ago, el_manayer said:

This is to me the worst part. The forum is supposed to be a contact between players and the company, but the developers never really answer what, I feel, they are ashamed of answering. In the feedback thread you only see answers to specific selected topics, always the same ones, while every other thing is just ignored or never acknowledged. I don't mean that they should share their internal conversations or plans, but if you want to be transparent you better explain why something that annoyed the playerbase for years is still in the same state. It might be because different priorities, it might be because of limitations of the current graphics module, it might be because there will be a big overhaul of the whole module in the future and it is not worthy to expand the current obsolete system... I don't know, all speculations because we only get silence. Sad, really sad.

They use to come on here a lot but found they were getting abused to much . Unfortunatly a few ruined it for the many 

26 minutes ago, alian62 said:

They use to come on here a lot but found they were getting abused to much . Unfortunatly a few ruined it for the many 

Then the few should have been fined or expelled, if they were too abusing to others.

The forums have fines, and stuff like that. I got fined last year for unfortunate things I written that weren't ok for the forums.

Edited by grade

They always talk about immersion. In fm22 i managed valencia when they moved to the new stadium, playing granada at home there was 60odd granada fans according to the match details and they are put slap bang front and centre in a massive stand behind the goal. Things like that and even away fans in teams decades long home sections kill immersion for me and im sure others

2 hours ago, alian62 said:

I don't think that's an excuse, abusers can be handled and, anyway, devs still come and answer some stuff sometimes, which I very much appreciate, but only about certain topics while some other topics are always ignored even if the majority of people ask for them. Maybe if they would face the questions the players have, acknowledge what does not work properly in the game and clarify why some stuff got priority over some others, players would be more relax and abusers would abuse less (not trying to justify here bad behaviour or disrespect by any means!). Part of the reason why the ambient here is this salty is because of the curtain of silence that they hide behind, but hiding does not solve the problems, it only creates frustration, and problems are still there and are noticeable even if the company just ignore them because sales are still good.

Things can be done better in regards of communication, and the frustration along the community is not new, the difference is that this year some content creators have spoken, but the frustration come from earlier and it only increases when expectations are not met even in very simple things like tuning a bit the broken modules or reworking things that make the game annoying (hello press conferences and player interactions). Even if almost everyone agrees that the game is still very good, for what I see, not only here but everywhere else, there is also general consensus that we are in sad times regarding the saga due to the lack of evolution, bugs that are carried over from year to year and not enough sincere communication. People just keep buying the game, you see steam reviews and they are still positive, but we all know this is all because the base game (ME) is very good, but the discontent in the community, specially if you have played the game before, is huge.

Edited by el_manayer
Spelling

It seems Miles is going to be at the Apple Store in Regent Street at 6:30pm today for Q&A of FM Touch and Arcade.

Too bad, it was such short notice. The tweet was posted only 2 hours ago. :(

Good opportunity to ask him about Stadium editor and downgrade in graphics since FM17.

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

So, whilst applying for a few jobs in my journeyman save, I found this club in Norway, and its a team who play in an indoor stadium. The facilities page even say the stadium has a roof, so naturally I wanted to attend their next home game to see how the game looks with a side playing indoors...

Er...

image.thumb.png.59159e70c4f0b6c8b0464a3448b2899b.png

I think it is the same situation in Sweden with Djurgarden

2 hours ago, JimmysTheBestCop said:

All of the content creators are calling for graphic updates. it isnt really the graphics per se. It is the STADIUM, ATMOSPHERE, LIGHTING, and even SOUND. You should not have a game where the vast majority of the user base turns off sounds. That means your sounds are trash and need improvement.

Not to keep comparing to OOTP (out of the park baseball) but it does stadium, atmosphere and sound much better. Of course it is a little easier in american baseball. But SI is about 100x a bigger company. OOTP released a stadium editor too. They released the 32 stadiums for the MLB but the modders did international stadiums, minor league stadiums all kinds of historical and fictional stadiums.

I dont need the player models updated. I need the stadium, pitch, lighting, atmosphere and sound improved for FM24. It is just so trash. And improving those things wont require dedicated gpu's like updating the player models while it will make the game look 5x as better as it does now.

Even if SI just created stadiums for 2 leagues fully and had a tool for modders it would be huge. But the lighting is just too simplistic for 2022. The sound we know is trash and it shouldnt be. Sound should be like being a an actual match. And the atmosphere needs to be like we are at a match. The fan graphics are awful. 

I think there is so much room for improvement without needing gaming gpus. It is the little things, the over looked things that SI needs focus on,

This sound too much like a headline feature. We need a timeline instead!

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

6 hours ago, JimmysTheBestCop said:

All of the content creators are calling for graphic updates. it isnt really the graphics per se. It is the STADIUM, ATMOSPHERE, LIGHTING, and even SOUND. You should not have a game where the vast majority of the user base turns off sounds. That means your sounds are trash and need improvement.

Not to keep comparing to OOTP (out of the park baseball) but it does stadium, atmosphere and sound much better. Of course it is a little easier in american baseball. But SI is about 100x a bigger company. OOTP released a stadium editor too. They released the 32 stadiums for the MLB but the modders did international stadiums, minor league stadiums all kinds of historical and fictional stadiums.

I dont need the player models updated. I need the stadium, pitch, lighting, atmosphere and sound improved for FM24. It is just so trash. And improving those things wont require dedicated gpu's like updating the player models while it will make the game look 5x as better as it does now.

Even if SI just created stadiums for 2 leagues fully and had a tool for modders it would be huge. But the lighting is just too simplistic for 2022. The sound we know is trash and it shouldnt be. Sound should be like being a an actual match. And the atmosphere needs to be like we are at a match. The fan graphics are awful. 

I think there is so much room for improvement without needing gaming gpus. It is the little things, the over looked things that SI needs focus on,

I've stuck with fm22 and recently found a commentary sound pack. I would prefer no commentary but have now got used to it. But what really enhances the match atmosphere is the improved crowd sounds that have been used. Lots of chants, improved cheers, better referee whistling, and even tannoy announcements. I smiled warmly the first time i heard "Your support is f***ing s**t" bring sung during a match. It really does make a difference 

Wish I hadn't read this thread. I came here hoping for some glimmer of hope but nope. In fact I'm more aware than ever of these horrendous shortcomings. 

In addition to the terrible stadiums, the godawful copy and paste crowds and the exact same trophy celebration scenes are depressing. The fact these haven't changed since FM22 is beyond a joke. 

1 hour ago, potbellypigs said:

Are there any teams in the game where their stadium does resemble what it looks like in real life?

I think Sevilla is an okay representation- big stadium with no roof on certain areas. 

Most stadiums are just a mess though and don’t reflect the capacity, country or common sense (fill in the corners, don’t just build upwards!)

Plus how about when you can see outside the stadiums? Like trees or roads etc. It literally looks like graphics out of Paper Boy. SI can focus all they want on the match engine but it will only be incremental improvements every year unless they created an entire new engine.

that is why SI needs to focus on stadiums, atmosphere, sound, fans/crowds, the pitch, weather, and lighting. that will make the game so much better. I mean even the weather is garbage graphical speaking. 

14 hours ago, BuryBlade said:

I think Sevilla is an okay representation- big stadium with no roof on certain areas. 

Most stadiums are just a mess though and don’t reflect the capacity, country or common sense (fill in the corners, don’t just build upwards!)

They even banned the modded adboards . Lucky I still have it and can do my own adboards which ads to the stadium immersion 

• 3 months later...

Glad I found this thread as it alludes to valid points in a few others I've seen and on issues that, frankly, are really winding me up now when I see how things were in versions long passed.

The 3D engine this year is excellent, a country mile better than previous versions, but the stadiums and pitches are ridiculous in terms of their lack of variety and I'm struggling to understand why SI don't respond on this. If other studios continually ignored key areas of gameplay/realism/immersion like this in top games they'd have no future. 

Why waste so many resources on vanity things like what the manager looks like and the rubbish outside the ground, rather than on actual gameplay issues that make a difference. The pitches are pretty much ALL the same, no matter what level you're at, with little variation aside from a few mud patches in goalmouths here and there, no effect on the game itself no matter what the conditions, and no visual difference whether it's 3G, non-league, Wembley or whatever, This never used to be the case so why is it now?

Edited by Lord Duffucus

What I have never properly understood (and forgive me as this has probably been asked and explained many times) is why SI cant provide a model like PES does, where users can upload their own custom stadiums built offline (to be able to insert real stadiums). For example - this is what is possible in PES - https://www.pesmodding.com/search/label/PES 2021 Stadiums. I acknowledge the graphics may not be able to be matched in FM but surely the same thoery of giving players the ability to upload stadium assets can apply?

They dont even need to provide or go to the trouble of creating a stadium editor - simply give us the ability to be insert new Stadium assets like we do with Logos, Backgrounds, Skins etc. and the community will do all the work! I am sure there is a very good reason why this isnt possible in FM but is in PES but it seems like such an obvious solution to me.

Edited by alex.s

On 20/11/2022 at 12:45, JimmysTheBestCop said:

Apologies for bringing up an old post, but I've really got to disagree with you about the OOTP sounds.  OOTP's out of the box sounds are extremely annoying (particularly the "let's go" chant), and user modifications keep resetting with each update.  I found myself turning them off completely in the end.

OOTP's user created stadiums are also problematic.  The Astrodome model has natural grass for some strange reason, and the 1977-1984 version of the Kingdome in Seattle was programmed to be an open air stadium with natural grass.  Modifying those ballparks is anything but easy: I can attest to that.

I hope that Football Manager can develop a stadium editor that is actually simple to use, and not something like what OOTP has created.

You should also know that OOTP's history with the modding community is completely different.  Remember that OOTP was 100% reliant on modders for real life and historic statistics up until it finally got the MLB and MLBPA licenses a few years back.  OOTP actually did a huge disservice to the community by removing the ability to modify the database altogether once it got those licenses, which eventually rendered interesting experiments like the Spritze high school database completely useless.  The embarrassing end result for OOTP was having to extend a general ban on all NPB (Japanese) teams a few months ago when it realized that it didn't have official licenses: those teams and logos were largely a holdover from the old days of user-created mods.  I would hate to see SI eventually go down that road in the future.

On 12/11/2022 at 03:21, Choi seung won said:

I wish Miles didn't care about this useless 3d manager's face, but only about the stadium.

I've got a funny story about this one.  I had FM loaded up to the start screen yesterday while I was getting ready to play another game.  My 12-year-old daughter looked at my avatar and started laughing.  She told me that it looks really strange.

I guess I'm glad that Miles is so excited about the manager's face.  I think it looks horrendous.

On 23/03/2023 at 10:04, alex.s said:

What I have never properly understood (and forgive me as this has probably been asked and explained many times) is why SI cant provide a model like PES does, where users can upload their own custom stadiums built offline (to be able to insert real stadiums). For example - this is what is possible in PES - https://www.pesmodding.com/search/label/PES 2021 Stadiums.

Man, those stadiums look absolutely beautiful.  Yes, I also wonder why we can't have things like that.

And why can't we have skins that change depending on where you are managing in the world?  I'd like to see more immersion, something that actually takes me to China when I manage there, or to Egypt when I manage there.  If I can't speak the language, I should see the impact of that in my interaction with players or the local media.  If I do a hexagon challenge save and wind up managing in Ethiopia again after spending a season in Kiribati, I shouldn't be able to come out gaining the trust of all my players and winning right away.  I should be a complete unknown who has difficulty adapting to the language, who can't really digest the food properly, and who has to figure out how to wrest control of the club away from the most influential players.

I've said this before, but the truth is that Football Manager is an RPG in disguise.  SI needs to acknowledge this and pay much more attention to NPC interactions and immersion.  I shouldn't be able to dominate press conferences by choosing the second option from the left every time, nor should I be able to convince my players to do better in team meetings by just repeating whatever the board told me to do.  I should also have more options for dealing with upset players: most of the time I can't even talk with them about whatever makes them upset, nor can I ask my captain to go have a talk with the upset player again.  It's not necessarily game breaking, and there are ways to work around grumpy players and their stupid issues, but it really would be nice to have more choice and more immersion options.

And I'm not talking about throwing the water bottle during halftime, lol.

On 26/03/2023 at 14:10, Daniel Evensen said:

who can't really digest the food properly

Oof, it takes me long enough as it is to get through a season, without having to worry about in game stomach troubles. In your mind, how do you see this being implemented in game?

This is the first year I've used 3D regularly and the stadium models are terrible. Player animations are better and more varied but the stadium models are always the same, huge clubs have medium sized stadiums with poor surroundings. Also the crowds look bad as well.