Iran v USA - Al Thumama Stadium, Cymru v England - Ahmad bin Ali Stadium, 7PM UK time.

git2thachoppa

https://media.mehrnews.com/d/2016/06/21/4/2115083.jpg?ts=1486462047399

image.png.4e75bb82a476bb1086d632e34ea418a8.png

Winner qualifies. Iran qualify with a draw, unless...

Chance of rigging shenanigans: ~7.7%

Shenanigans required: Wales take surprise lead

Wales would need to win by 4 goals to qualify for sure. So they'd be better off taking the lead and defending it for most of the game, hoping this game ends in a draw, even if Iran or USA are winning 2-0 or 3-1 or 4-2.

England got the draw they needed and came for against USA to effectively qualify (unless they somehow lose by 4 goals to Wales), so Iranians' hope is they have some fun now and get a goal or 2. Though historically England's fringe squad players in no-risk competitive games have been awful.

Tactics

I don't know about the USA, but obviously they need to win, which plays into Iran's counter-attacking. Iran have put all their training XP into 'passing' and 'speed', so we've seen when they counter attack that they launch pinpoint through balls. They move forward so fast that they can be patient even as they surge forward, passing it around as they approach like it's online FIFA before walking it into the net. As we saw against Wales with their disallowed goal and their 2nd goal.

That didn't stop their DEFENDER doing a NO-LOOK LONG-RANGE WINNER in the 98th minute last time though.

If I was USA, I'd keep a decent amount of men back and try to score via attrition or a set-piece. Or dive for penalties of course. Do a little Vardy 'run toward the corner flag, kick ball away, make defender trip over me, fall, penalty, party' shtick.

Slow News Day Drama

USA's twitter posted a shot of the table but with the Islamic symbol missing from Iran's flag. This was probably an 'Irish flag for Ivory Coast' type mistake, but Iran's dictatorship are trying to jump on it and get people mad, as dictatorships do - removing this symbol (and using a blank or the previous 'golden lion' flag) is a popular protest flag used by Iranians, so yeah the conservatives are gonna be pretty pissed off.

Otherwise there isn't much needle in the game, as with 1998. It's more England v Scotland than Serbia v Albania. But with qualification at stake and Queiroz turning Iran from friendly sporting chaps to gamesmanship battlers, expect the players and coaches to get wound up yet again.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I strongly disagree with FIFA then :D 

Interesting though, and @Rob1981 might know the answer to this, but looks like maybe originally group B was meant to finish with the early kick offs today but it's swapped to get England and USA in the better TV slot?

And USA in their much better domestic slot

1 hour ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Interesting though, and @Rob1981 might know the answer to this, but looks like maybe originally group B was meant to finish with the early kick offs today but it's swapped to get England and USA in the better TV slot?

It's definitely happened at previous World Cups where Group B finished before Group A or whatever and they didn't go alphabetically.  They don't usually change the times once the draw has been made, but this year I don't think they released any kickoff times at all.  Left themselves some wiggle room to move things around.  I think because all the grounds are so close together then this time they were also selling 'double tickets' for the days with four kickoffs so people could do more than one match and have time to travel in between.

In a way I'm surprised they've not got Qatar in the later slot as the hosts... but as you say, probably wanted big US TV audience to be able to watch in their afternoon and not at the crack of dawn.

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

@git2thachoppa Stick Wales v England in the thread title as well pal :thup:

4 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

*Cymru v England

@git2thachoppa

Then it'll just be 500 posts per hour about England 😫

I mean... I don't know if anyone else here is watching USA v Iran... but if they are it'd be nice to see 'em!

Edited by git2thachoppa

Just now, git2thachoppa said:

I mean... I don't know if anyone else here is watching USA v Iran... but if they are it'd be nice to see 'em!

I will watch Iran's game since it's basically a playoff game.

1 minute ago, git2thachoppa said:

We've always had the final two group games for each group in the same thread for tournaments for as long as I can remember.

• themadsheep2001 changed the title to Iran v USA - Al Thumama Stadium, Cymru v England - Ahmad bin Ali Stadium, 7PM UK time.
32 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Let us be clear.

Wales are losing this game tonight. We're going to get a bit humiliated.

I'm watching it because it's cheaper than hiring a dominatrix for the night.

Ackter will do anything, for not much money

Wish people would do some research and use the official names given to FIFA. Really disrespectful putting Cymru in the title when they are currently wanting to be known as Wales. Like all the people still using Turkey. :thdn:

Someone needs to apologise to Confused Clarity. Bet it was those English scum as usual.

4 minutes ago, Tony85 said:

Wish people would do some research and use the official names given to FIFA. Really disrespectful putting Cymru in the title when they are currently wanting to be known as Wales.

It's the other way around, isn't it? They are still officially called Wales but want to be called by the local name Cymru.

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Rob Page has let his squad change the formation per the rumours.

Heard someone argue quite convincingly that actually Bale should be left on the bench.

Realistically if Wales aren't going to win 4-0, their best hope is a narrow win... maybe 1-0 or 2-1... and then hope that the other game is a draw.  So you could bring Bale on for the last half hour if it's opening up and if they can nick a late goal.  Instead of that now he runs around all game... but if it's still level on 70 minutes and the other game is in Wales's favour he is shagged out by the time it's getting interesting.

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Heard someone argue quite convincingly that actually Bale should be left on the bench.

Realistically if Wales aren't going to win 4-0, their best hope is a narrow win... maybe 1-0 or 2-1... and then hope that the other game is a draw.  So you could bring Bale on for the last half hour if it's opening up and if they can nick a late goal.  Instead of that now he runs around all game... but if it's still level on 70 minutes and the other game is in Wales's favour he is shagged out by the time it's getting interesting.

He would be far more effective for us for 20 minutes than 70 minutes/90 minutes.

As an England fan, but as someone who wants to see all the Home Nations go as far as possible, I'm in a weird situation where I want England to lose. Just not by 4 goals. And just as long as Iran don't beat the USA and make us play Gakpo next. :D

So, I'm hoping for a narrow Wales win, and a draw in the other game.

Sadly, I don't think it'll happen. :( Predicting a couple of draws to send England and Iran through.

8 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Last game.. Period, I suspect 

Yeah, I think Bale retires straight after this World Cup. I doubt he'll stick around in MLS after winning the league in his first (half-)season and then living all his international dreams.