QF3: Morocco vs Portugal, 3PM GMT, Al Thumana Stadium

Darius1998

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Sanel said:

Strange comment like some others here, hopping on the CR7 hate-boat.

Hate-boat :D

It's a team game.  If you're a senior player with his experience, you should put the team before yourself.  Be there to support the youngsters in defeat, not storm off on your own for a sulk.

Not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Edited by Rob1981

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

It's a team game.  If you're a senior player with his experience, you should put the team before yourself.  Be there to support the youngsters in defeat, not storm on on your own for a sulk.

It's a bit of both. He was looking for the fairy tale ending, so he will be devastated. But he hasn't shown leadership skills around the situation of being a sub, when seeing for instance the Switzerland match.

I'll have to defend Ronaldo on this one, and I don't even like him that much

Bloke is clearly going through some tough times - I think somethings a bit off with him emotionally - and he knows the cameras will all be on him. It's also the end of pretty much the last dream of his career. I can't blame him for wanting a private moment.

The perfect thing to do is stay on the pitch, thank the fans, support your teammates etc, but in moments of high emotions it's okay not to act perfectly 

5 minutes ago, noikeee said:

The perfect thing to do is stay on the pitch, thank the fans, support your teammates etc, but in moments of high emotions it's okay not to act perfectly 

This, and that's why I see the respons after the Switzerland differently than after the Morroco game.

5 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Sorry that we had to put you through that ;)

13 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Hate-boat :D

It's a team game.  If you're a senior player with his experience, you should put the team before yourself.  Be there to support the youngsters in defeat, not storm off on your own for a sulk.

Not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Losing my dream, I would do the same. I would have no emotional energy to support anyone. Imagine him crying on the pitch knowing all the cameras are aimed towards you. I actually feel gutted for him, and others too. Not choosing any sides here, however Messi did the same numerous times at Barca. Maradona was actually the player that was loved in every squad he played in. Players and even opponnents claim he cheered up everyone, as well in good times as bad times. It's just about characteristics.

Edited by Sanel

3 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

I think its you that needs to let it go and stop fangirling over somebody that doesn't deserve your adulation. 

I'm not fan of anyone here.

I feel frustrated because football lost against a side that refuses to play. Again. That's a bigger issue.

1 minute ago, Sanel said:

I feel frustrated because football lost against a side that refuses to play. Again. That's a bigger issue.

What do you mean refused to play? Refused to play would be standing on the sidelines refusing to join the field.

Morocco were the only team that put the ball in the net. Morocco did what they needed to get a result. Morocco won the game. 

Put some respect on their name. 

2 minutes ago, Sanel said:

:D 

shots: 9-9

on target: 3-3

The only side not playing was Portugal, who had three-quarters of the ball and couldn't score a goal. 

I hate this rubbish about sides refusing to play.

Morocco obviously can't go toe to toe with Portugal, especially with most of their best defenders injured. Every time they had the ball they tried to get forward. Even after taking the lead, they had one chance in the first half that could have led to a goal with a square pass and then should have scored again at the end.

1 minute ago, Darius1998 said:

I hate this rubbish about sides refusing to play.

Morocco obviously can't go toe to toe with Portugal, especially with most of their best defenders injured. Every time they had the ball they tried to get forward. Even after taking the lead, they had one chance in the first half that could have led to a goal with a square pass and then should have scored again at the end.

That's the thing though, they did go toe-to-toe with them. They didn't have as much possession but they had as many shots, in total and on target, and they were just as dangerous if not more so than Portugal. Possession isn't everything and it definitely isn't an indicator of a team's willingness to attack/play football. 

I'd love to see the xG, because other than Pepe's free header, i don't recall a good chance for Portugal. 

Just now, Confused Clarity said:

What do you mean refused to play? Refused to play would be standing on the sidelines refusing to join the field.

Morocco were the only team that put the ball in the net. Morocco did what they needed to get a result. Morocco won the game. 

Put some respect on their name. 

Reminds me a bit of Greece at EC 2004, where they actually played shambolic and had all the luck in the world. People are still talking about that when it's 18 years ago.

I don't care about this particular game either. It's the whlole tournament. I find it worrying that top nations have no answer against sides that sit back. Even top nations start every game very passive. It's hurting the entertainment factor of football. This game won't be remembered by beautiful football or whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, decapitated said:

image.png.081620640aac6a6bdf3f8b4e7ff34044.png

Not sure there will be many takers for this.

"A wonderful story about teamwork"

"Once upon a time, the captain of the national team stormed off for being subbed. He later cried when his inability to work in a team cost his nation. Don't be like Ronaldo"

Just now, Sanel said:

Reminds me a bit of Greece at EC 2004, where they actually played shambolic and had all the luck in the world. People are still talking about that when it's 18 years ago.

Luck? That Greek team is probably the best defensive performance in history of football.

I don't care about this particular game either. It's the whlole tournament. I find it worrying that top nations have no answer against sides that sit back. Even top nations start every game very passive.

There is an answer. It's called actually having strikers who can hold the ball up and get physical against teams defending deep.

Why do you think Giroud is still playing?

It's hurting the entertainment factor of football. This game won't be remembered by beautiful football or whatsoever.

Entertainment factor?

How do you expect a team like Morocco to play against a team like Portugal?

Did you see their striker who got sent off? He plays for a Serie B team that hasn't played in Serie A for a decade.

On the Ronaldo thing, I personally find it possible to think he’s a piece of **** for storming off down the tunnel and not consoling team mates or shaking hands etc, whilst at the same time find the pictures of him crying in the tunnel to be somewhat disturbing. The guy was clearly distraught. 

I also find it completely reasonable and indeed understandable for people to find it hilarious. So I’m not having a go at anybody for doing so. I just personally found it uncomfortable to see what he clearly needed to be a private moment.  I have always thought this when they follow players down the tunnel. They go down there to get away from the cauldron, not for intimate shots

And it’s ok by the way before people get annoyed that I found it disturbing. I’m not saying anyone who didn’t is bad. I know the internet likes to be binary but not everything has to be right and wrong. 

Edited by Mr Adam

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

There is an answer. It's called actually having strikers who can hold the ball up and get physical against teams defending deep.

Maybe in 2004.

Nowadays teams play 4231 and leave no space by crowding the middle. Your Inter side does kinda the same. ;)

Hurting the entertainment factor :D

Brazil scores in the ET, Croatia equalizes incredibly and wins on penalties.

Argentina 2-0 up, Netherlands scores a great header and equalizes in the 100. minute with a ridiculous free kick combination.

Morocco outplays a huge favourite and run their hearts to the ground for their country.

Thats proper entertainment, something only football can deliver out of all sports. Have your skill moves and useless tricks at club football level.

44 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Bloke is clearly going through some tough times - I think somethings a bit off with him emotionally - and he knows the cameras will all be on him. It's also the end of pretty much the last dream of his career. I can't blame him for wanting a private moment.

I see it both ways. Don't think walking off for a cry after a top level career-ending away defeat is a particularly terrible thing to do, not sure it's that unusual (most players don't have a cam following them), and I'm not sure him hanging around would have helped the younger players in any way

On the other hand the reason the hate exists and he got his own cam following him is because he's made a habit of storming off down tunnels recently for much less reason.

19 minutes ago, kpain16 said:

Hurting the entertainment factor :D

Brazil scores in the ET, Croatia equalizes incredibly and wins on penalties.

Argentina 2-0 up, Netherlands scores a great header and equalizes in the 100. minute with a ridiculous free kick combination.

Morocco outplays a huge favourite and run their hearts to the ground for their country.

Thats proper entertainment, something only football can deliver out of all sports. Have your skill moves and useless tricks at club football level.

I agree. But I blame Portugal for not showing enough courage, they started very passive as well. I just think a lot of nations aren't showing their best football now. I find it worrying.

2 minutes ago, Ackter said:

Nah **** Rinaldo's tears. He's crying for himself and himself alone. He couldn't give a **** about how anyone else there is feeling. Everything he does, every single thing, is about him.

He's not very good at handling being refused anything he wants.

Probably mostly upset that he couldn't just take it anyway.

Edited by Confused Clarity

1 hour ago, Mr Adam said:

On the Ronaldo thing, I personally find it possible to think he’s a piece of **** for storming off down the tunnel and not consoling team mates or shaking hands etc, whilst at the same time find the pictures of him crying in the tunnel to be somewhat disturbing. The guy was clearly distraught. 

I also find it completely reasonable and indeed understandable for people to find it hilarious. So I’m not having a go at anybody for doing so. I just personally found it uncomfortable to see what he clearly needed to be a private moment.  I have always thought this when they follow players down the tunnel. They go down there to get away from the cauldron, not for intimate shots

And it’s ok by the way before people get annoyed that I found it disturbing. I’m not saying anyone who didn’t is bad. I know the internet likes to be binary but not everything has to be right and wrong. 

For probably almost any other player you would feel some compassion for those tears

Cristiano?

Nah

4 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Luck? That Greek team is probably the best defensive performance in history of football.

Why do you think Giroud is still playing?

Entertainment factor?

How do you expect a team like Morocco to play against a team like Portugal?

Did you see their striker who got sent off? He plays for a Serie B team that hasn't played in Serie A for a decade.

Best poster on the forum 

Fair enough if you want to see teams playing defensive football go out imo

But Portugal and Morocco would both play with the same ambition against France. And one of those scenarios doesn't have Ronaldo crying today.

Caught up with this after the England game, I was expecting a bit more from Portugal in the second half.

Morocco have a good defence combined with players in Boufal and Ziyech who can get past people on the counter even if isolated. They are going to struggle if they concede first but they are a solid team.

Edited by The_jagster

6 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Once Caldas in Libertadores 2004, they beat Santos, São Paulo and Boca to win the title, then lost to Porto on penalties in the Intercontinental Cup.

The way they were so often defending and defending was nerve-wrecking. :D 

Edited by PMLF

One thing that seems to have been slightly lost in all the Ronaldo talk and all other talking points is this is the first ever African side to reach a semi final. It would've been Ghana in 2010 if not for Suárez, no other team has been this close for a while. 

An amazing achievement by an actually pretty talented generation of Moroccan players.

7 minutes ago, noikeee said:

One thing that seems to have been slightly lost in all the Ronaldo talk and all other talking points is this is the first ever African side to reach a semi final. It would've been Ghana in 2010 if not for Suárez, no other team has been this close for a while. 

An amazing achievement by an actually pretty talented generation of Moroccan players.

Too bad they're not actually African, footballing wise.

Just a handful of them have any senior football minutes in Moroccan clubs, most were at European clubs from the earliest age, even the ones not born in Europe.

If anything, this is just detrimental for African football. Team full of imported players doing way better than teams with domestically developed players.

Edited by GunmaN1905

9 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Too bad they're not actually African, footballing wise.

Just a handful of them have any senior football minutes in Moroccan clubs, most were at European clubs from the earliest age, even the ones not born in Europe.

If anything, this is just detrimental for African football. Team full of imported players doing way better than teams with domestically developed players.

As opposed to all the other competitive African teams with a core of players from African leagues

Like, for example.....?

1 minute ago, noikeee said:

competitive African teams

That's exactly the problem.

Ghana also started recruiting players from Europe who can't make the NTs they wanted to play for.

Nothing wrong with getting a player or two, Croatia also has them, but if your entire NT philosophy is based on getting scraps from Europe, long-term it's going to be bad.

This is Morocco's golden generation, but a generation they recruited from Europe. When all of your best players are products of Spanish, Netherlands and French football youth system, I'm not sure it can be called Africa's success, unfortunately.

And this result will only make more teams go all in on recruitment from Europe.