Darius1998

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

I think Southgate goes but with thanks.

Not a sacking. More a time for different ideas. Maybe a new senior role for Southgate created at the FA. 

Agree. I’m not a fan of his, but this World Cup, by large his decisions been fine, stuck with 4-3-3, and today just the wrong side of a 50/50 game.

Feel that a 4th cycle is one too many, and this team needs a fresh approach now with likely with a few of the senior guys on the fringes over the next 18 months.

Just now, ginnybob said:

Genuinely hope Kane doesn't get backlash from our fans. Literally become joint top scorer. It was a terrible pen but he's normally an elite taker. 

Might be asking too much from the media fannies.

He had an amazing game, but there's always something missing with him.

When did he decide a big match for NT with a goal? Especially a goal from open play.

And we all know he's had plenty of chances in big matches.

In these matches, strikers are separated by mentality.

Giroud is a tier below if it comes to ability, but he somehow scores whenever he's needed the most.

Kane doesn't.

Can't be the scapegoat, but can't act like he's not just a flat track bully.

Just now, git2thachoppa said:

Critics would be FUMING if they were managing England in FM23 and got sacked by the game, after getting easily out the groups with loads of goals, walloped the next one 3-0, then lost 2-1 to the defending champions and favourites after dominating.

And already with a record of a semi and final.

They'd rant here and if someone said "it's your tactics", they'd be bashing that keyboard with a strongly worded retort. :lol:

I do understand and agree, which is why I don’t want him “sacked”.

Id like a mutual discussion about whether we are progressing tho, seeing this is our worst performance in a major tournament since 2016. Even if the other two were thanks to him :D 

Just now, Mr Adam said:

Was by far our best player in the tournament as well 

Agreed

It's ****ing galling because if there's one player you'd put money on to bury a pen he'd be up there. Another what could have been moment, but he's not a villain for missing.

And he might have only got 2 goals this tournament but he was at the heart of other chances and goals. 

1 minute ago, Harryseaess said:

But we still had a chance to equalise from a penalty and didn’t score. Only person to blame is the penalty taker.

Maybe if the team had stopped protesting the Saka 'foul' and instead reorganised to defend, France couldn't have played all the way up the other end of the pitch and scored it.

Just now, ginnybob said:

Agreed

It's ****ing galling because if there's one player you'd put money on to bury a pen he'd be up there. Another what could have been moment, but he's not a villain for missing.

And he might have only got 2 goals this tournament but he was at the heart of other chances and goals. 

If we’d got a third one I wouldn’t have wanted another to take it 

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

He had an amazing game, but there's always something missing with him.

When did he decide a big match for NT with a goal? Especially a goal from open play.

And we all know he's had plenty of chances in big matches.

In these matches, strikers are separated by mentality.

Giroud is a tier below if it comes to ability, but he somehow scores whenever he's needed the most.

Kane doesn't.

Can't be the scapegoat, but can't act like he's not just a flat track bully.

Kane scores a hell of a lot for a midfielder tbf

Just now, pearcey_90 said:

Agree. I’m not a fan of his, but this World Cup, by large his decisions been fine, stuck with 4-3-3, and today just the wrong side of a 50/50 game.

Feel that a 4th cycle is one too many, and this team needs a fresh approach now with likely with a few of the senior guys on the fringes over the next 18 months.

Imo, his issue was not having at least one starting CB with pace.

Was too late to change a few months ago, but he should've tried to change it up after the EURO.

And for all the quality you have, there's no proper playmaker. Foden has to be one of the three in the middle.

This match was 50-50, but when too many 50-50 matches go the other way, it's not a coincidence.

4 minutes ago, Bootador said:

I think Southgate's subs were poor, but you can't be right all the time. Taking off all creators is just weird, one of Sterling/Rashford and AT LEAST one of Foden/Saka/Grealish sure

Tbh taking off Saka, the best attacking player on the pitch and bringing on Mount (have more time for him than most England fans but he's not a go to player for winning goals) infuriated me

Two minutes later Mount wins what should have been the equalising penalty. Don't think we can call that a Southgate screw up...

Reality was a game of fine margins against on paper the best side in the competition. 

From a French side, i was cursing about Deschamps low block during all the game . 

We were a bit lucky on this, but mental is a huge part of this success.

Best team dont always win, i have see France loose in Sevilla 82, we were the best but the mental wasn't here. 

Edited by yann

Just now, enigmatic said:

Tbh taking off Saka, the best attacking player on the pitch and bringing on Mount (have more time for him than most England fans but he's not a go to player for winning goals) infuriated me

Two minutes later Mount wins what should have been the equalising penalty. Don't think we can call that a Southgate screw up...

Reality was a game of fine margins against on paper the best side in the competition. 

Mount came on for Henderson, which was a step up in quality. 

59 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

I wouldn’t go that far, there’s no penetration.

Sorry mate, just saw this. Considering the expectation, they'd  restricted France to one long shot whereas England had a blatant pen and Kane through on goal by this point. Decent going, if a bit conservative!

Anyway, that was then. Very unlucky I think, players can hold their heads high.

1 minute ago, silentwars said:

All those saying Southgate should go who would you replace him with? Can't see the FA buying Howe or Potter out of their contracts and that would mean going down the foreign route, which personally I'm not a huge fan of. 

As we've seen, NT football doesn't need top tier managers.

From the team spirit and atmosphere side, Southgate was perfect.

You just need a Southgate who's not scared to play for the win instead of play not to lose against good teams.

7 minutes ago, JJ72 said:

Just get rid of Southgate please and employ someone who knows how to attack

Did we not attack? Looked to me like we were one of the best attacking teams at the WC. Top scorers?

Okay, 6 were against Iran, but we looked so different to the NL England

I've always been for Southgate, just not sure who's better. Howe maybe.

Just now, georginho_juventusygr said:

The next generation of French kids will look at Giroud as their idol, top scorer of all time.

Instead of looking at Thierry Henry.

What a sad state of affairs. I refuse to believe that.

Well, Giroud is a textbook example of someone who has made the most of his talent. Never been the star player but he's always there when he is needed.

When Kane stepped up i did think maybe he should have let someone else take it. Obviously that was never going to happen, but the mental gymnastics he would have been going through - "do i do the same thing, do i go opposite where he went?" etc - would have put too much pressure on him. 

I love Southgate and by and large I think he's done a decent job this tournament but I think a new approach under a different manager could be a good thing. Saying that I would also be happy for him to continue for Euro 24.

I also don't really see any managers out there that are both A) and improvement on Southgate and B) realistic. Dyche maybe?

Edited by AM99

Gutted, but we're a proper top team at international level now, pushed the favourites all the way and looked the better team for a while at 1-1. No more of this plucky England tag needed.

Southgate's tactics at key moments with subs, etc is always a bit questionable but I think the lineup and setup was right, Mbappe was mostly quiet and it was just moments that did us in. Bringing off Saka and not replacing with Grealish maybe a bad move, but ultimately Sir Gareth leaves who comes in who can do everything just as well, including the man management which is absolutely key in international football. Poch maybe, but I doubt he's interested tbh.

1 minute ago, JD nawrat said:

When Kane stepped up i did think maybe he should have let someone else take it. Obviously that was never going to happen, but the mental gymnastics he would have been going through - "do i do the same thing, do i go opposite where he went?" etc - would have put too much pressure on him. 

I thought that before he took it, but then if the other player missed everyone would be raging that Kane didn't take it.