SF1: Argentina vs Croatia, 7PM GMT, Lusail Iconic Stadium

Darius1998

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, TM said:

don't think Argentina deserve their lead but that's how the game goes sometimes, the 2nd goal was like watching something you rage quit in a FIFA game to, trying to clear the ball and it just keeps coming back to the striker

They  deserve their lead, it's just that I've seen so much sh*t from Orsato over the years it's impossible not to hate these decisions when he's the expert for favoring teams in matches without being too blatant most of the time. From not giving any yellows to the penalty.

Argentina capitalized on two ridiculous mistakes that created 1v1 situations with the keeper. Inexcusable at this level.

The same way Brazil can't complain for their mistake and conceding like they did, Croatia can't, either. Football is a game of mistakes, you get punished at this level.

Argentina team is nothing special, but they're winning games alongside favorable refereeing as in being immune to bookings and soft penalties whenever there's an opportunity for it.

I said before the tournament, this Croatian team can reach QF at the most, so this is a step up above expectations. Despite solid defense and class midfield, this is by far the worst attack Croatia has ever had on any tournament. Including the ones we didn't qualify for.

Lovren starting was always a scandalous decision, but he managed since we played so deep. Team pushes up for 10 minutes, and he's just gone, completely lost his man and the line for offside trap.

And the worst thing of all is that general public will blame Orsato for the loss instead of clown on the bench who's literally even worse tactician than Southgate and has even more luck.

I can't see how Argentina copes with pace France have, but we'll leave that for Sunday.

Edited by GunmaN1905

Interesting. The Croatian ref expert in the studio, ex FIFA ref, says it's not a pen. Livakovic had both feet on the ground and was guarding his space, so by the rules it's considered a clash, not a foul.

Kinda not that relevant. They completely nullified us and would make it count one way or the other.

Edited by kpain16

Alvarez gets his shot away and doesn’t get enough on it, he then runs in to the keeper.

He gets a double advantage of getting his shot and when he doesn’t score getting the penalty.

I think it probably is a pen but don’t think it’s as clear as others do.

Edited by Harryseaess

1 minute ago, HOORAY HENRIK said:

3 actual footballers know it’s not a penalty.

People can't make a difference between a goalkeeper sliding and holding his position.

What's Livaković supposed to do there? If he doesn't make a save, it's always a penalty even if Alvarez hoofed the ball to row Z?

How are you supposed to make a save if the forward is barging into you?

1 minute ago, kpain16 said:

Livakovic had both feet on the ground and was guarding his space

That's literally how basketball rules work.

If the defender is standing in his spot, has it established and isn't sliding around, contact from the offensive player can't be defense foul, only offense.

Just now, SouthCoastRed said:

I accept is a 50/50 call but those screaming penalty, what’s the keeper meant to do, message the USS Enterprise to beam him up so he’s out of the way, he’s doing his job ffs

Not rush out. He's put in no man's land by his defence but you can't rush out, miss the ball and then be surprised when a penalty is given for the contact.

1 minute ago, SouthCoastRed said:

I accept is a 50/50 call but those screaming penalty, what’s the keeper meant to do, message the USS Enterprise to beam him up so he’s out of the way, he’s doing his job ffs

He should’ve gotten to the ball earlier, or not gone into the challenge.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

People can't make a difference between a goalkeeper sliding and holding his position.

What's Livaković supposed to do there? If he doesn't make a save, it's always a penalty even if Alvarez hoofed the ball to row Z?

He missed the ball and impeded the striker, being unable to get out of the way is a shame for Croatia and the keeper but it's hardly the fault of the attacker is it

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

If Alvarez had hit the ball off him it apparently wouldn’t have been a foul because it was a “save”. 

I'm just not understanding the "he stands his ground" argument, he charges out to the ball and doesn't get there. Yeah he stops after Alvarez gets the ball but people saying "what's he meant to do" what's Alvarez meant to do as well? Magically pass through him? He's absolutely nowhere near the ball and clearly impedes Alvarez.

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

Not rush out. He's put in no man's land by his defence but you can't rush out, miss the ball and then be surprised when a penalty is given for the contact.

See there I’d agree, if he comes sliding out at pace and cleans Alvarez out I’m with you. Stood up planted like he is, it’s obstruction at worst imo

1 minute ago, aiston said:

Not sure we can take ITV pundits word for it when they don't know how a spherical ball works :D

I think the woman in that My Diesel Claim ad would give better punditry than ITV's pundits.

Just now, Haguey said:

He missed the ball and impeded the striker, being unable to get out of the way is a shame for Croatia and the keeper but it's hardly the fault of the attacker is it

Our expert said someone might say that, and explained why it doesn't matter, but I forgot :D

Just now, Pukey said:

I'm just not understanding the "he stands his ground" argument, he charges out to the ball and doesn't get there. Yeah he stops after Alvarez gets the ball but people saying "what's he meant to do" what's

Hmm, I'll try to put it this way, let's ignore this specific situation.

Defender: stands still, doesn't move.

Attacker: smashes the ball past him, isn't in direct control of it anymore and then smashes into the defender not moving.

Is that a foul? Like what's the defender supposed to do.

Alvarez meant to do as well? Magically pass through him? He's absolutely nowhere near the ball and clearly impedes Alvarez.

Alvarez also impedes the goalkeeper who could've turned around because he didn't fall to the ground and maybe caught up with the ball.

Alvarez didn't dribble the ball past him, he wasn't in control of it anymore, he just took a shot. He's not entitled to the ball anymore and he is the one initiation the contact.

Alvarez moved towards the keeper, not the other way around.

That's the best I can come up with for the explanation, it's about who initiated the contact.

Because like this, if we go with your logic, any forward can just try to chip the ball past the keeper and smash into him, to get a penalty if he doesn't score. Doesn't make sense to me at all.