Foreign Youngster Interest Level

I'm having some issues signing foreign youngsters to the Premier League.

It seems as though 3-star 16-year-olds playing for anonymous clubs in South America have no interest in joining a top English side. I can't even get them to negotiate contracts.

I'm reading between the lines here, but is the issue work permits? If so, am I just to assume that I basically can't even begin the process of signing any young players from foreign leagues?

If this is the case, is this realistic? I feel like that's not how work permits actually function post-Brexit. You can't tell me if that Man City want to sign a 17-year-old from Timbuktu FC they're getting told the player isn't interested or the work permit can't be arranged.

I'd be ok with this if the game didnt have a hard coded Endrick transfer as a 16 yr old to Madrid already in there. It is clearly possible, but to be more realistic with how clubs prefer to wait to see how a player develops before making transfer offers they prevent any transfers. In real life if a 16 yr old in brazil gets told he will be offered a transfer at European wage levels in 2 years, he wouldnt care about his development at his current club. The money would save his family and the guarantee would mean development. He'd sign the contract because it guarantees a higher salary than he would get at the same level at his current club.

7 hours ago, Lampard4King said:

I'd be ok with this if the game didnt have a hard coded Endrick transfer as a 16 yr old to Madrid already in there. It is clearly possible, but to be more realistic with how clubs prefer to wait to see how a player develops before making transfer offers they prevent any transfers. In real life if a 16 yr old in brazil gets told he will be offered a transfer at European wage levels in 2 years, he wouldnt care about his development at his current club. The money would save his family and the guarantee would mean development. He'd sign the contract because it guarantees a higher salary than he would get at the same level at his current club.

Spain has different work rules for youngsters compared to the UK.

All perfectly realistic.  The issue here is people not understanding/knowing real life rules and perhaps more importantly, it's terribly implemented within FM.  If Fm gave more context, reasons as to why they refuse to talk to you, there would be far less confusion.

Edited by Maviarab

9 hours ago, Maviarab said:

The issue here is people not understanding/knowing real life rules and perhaps more importantly, it's terribly implemented within FM.  If Fm gave more context, reasons as to why they refuse to talk to you, there would be far less confusion.

I agree, the reason for the lack of interest is because of the FIFA laws regarding players under 18 and transfers. The game should be clearer on this point imo.

The fact that Real Madrid are using loopholes in the law to sign players occasionally does not mean it should be allowed. And FM tries to replicate the laws in place and I don't really want FM to be a place where we look for loopholes in FIFA regulations.

• 2 weeks later...

My issue with it isn't simply that player interest ought to be higher, but as far as I'm aware these are imaginary obstacles.

In relatively recent versions of the game, you could agree a contract when a player was 16 to bring them to the UK when they turned 18. No real reason that couldn't be how these signings work now as far as I can tell.

Also, I don't really believe the work permit rules are as strict as all that. Knowing dear old Blighty as I do, there's no way football clubs are being prevented from signing as many 18-year-olds from Timbuktu as they like regardless of their wage, caps or league quality. Our immigration laws are not that strict, there's no way we're preventing top-flight clubs from bringing young footballers here on temporary visas. 

It seems like a hangover from FM19, where the game included best and worst-case scenarios of what Brexit might look like in practice. Let's get it in line with reality, there is absolutely no way these rules function like this in practice.

4 minutes ago, du Garbandier said:

Jeez, you been watching the Life & Times of Colonel Blimp? Current UK immigration law is draconian, and not exeptional either

If they were, we wouldn't have leagues awash with foreign-born players. There's a tinge of the political in the work permit rules I daresay. No, I've never seen that film.

31 minutes ago, Chooxen said:

Let's get it in line with reality, there is absolutely no way these rules function like this in practice.

The reality is in the UK you can't bring foreign under 18's to the UK.  Just accept that is the LAW....want to smuggle and hoard 16 year old Brazillians then start a save in Spain.

Again, the problem is with FM not explaining things properly, and in REALITY, very, very, very few 16 year olds would sign pre contracts for 2 years later.  Also now under Brexit (whether you like it or not is quite frankly not relvent), is that the vast majority of those kids would never get a work permit now anyway.  Kids who are already here don't matter, and many will not get that work permit extended.

Edited by Maviarab