Is FM enjoyable with a very limited amout of time available to play it?

Hello everybody,

I am opening this thread since I would like your opinion on the matter ...

After having spent roughly one year away from FM I am considering the idea of getting back with FM23. I enjoy football and management games and I have seen that the overall explanations of the online manual have improved a lot, I therefore hope FM23 will be enjoyable (my last FM was 2020) and over all, playable with satisfaction without investing tons of hours. To get some interesting results with FM20 and understand decently game mechanics I have roughly spent 600+hrs on the game, which would definitely be too much for me in 2023 (If I can spend roughly 2 hrs per week on games is really a win) and I fear that FM23 will require a similar amount of dedication to obtain something decent... is there a way to enjoy FM with a very limited time availability? I fear that purchasing the game and not being able to basically see the results of my actions because of the lack of time would be really frustrating. Have you got any suggestion? Is the touch version more "affordable"?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Why not download the demo and start playing it and see? It gives you 6 months of in-game play time, and if you find you like it, you can continue the save if you buy it. It could at the very least give you a view as to how much time you need to put into it.

With limited time though, the Touch version is much more streamlined and perhaps will give you more games to play than the full version.

That is the strategy.. and the post comes out after having downloaded and tested the demo. Very good game but, with a casual approach I just found myself losing against basically anyone.

Is touch version available for PC? Cannot find it on steam...

10 minutes ago, Stobby84 said:

That is the strategy.. and the post comes out after having downloaded and tested the demo. Very good game but, with a casual approach I just found myself losing against basically anyone.

Is touch version available for PC? Cannot find it on steam...

I thought it was, but looking at https://www.footballmanager.com/compare-games it doesn't seem so anymore. Only Apple and Switch it seems. The Console version is though. I don't know how those two compare, so I can't comment on that, sorry.

Yes, but if you want to get through multiple seasons then offloading a lot of the day-to-day tasks to your backroom staff is the way to go. Training, scouting, and press conferences can all be offloaded. That would leave you managing matches, setting up tactics, and overseeing the transfer market. I would also recommend managing in a nation with short seasons (ex. Sweden).

I've found it way more enjoyable by using a skin that has an instant result button. I simply dont have the time to play through game after game. May seems a shortcut but it works for me. I enjoy the squad building part of the game so this allows me to get through a number of seasons far more quickly than I could by playing each game. Still surprises me that SI havent implimented this as an option (unless a edited skin is used). 

Il y a 3 heures, jimbo22 a dit :

I've found it way more enjoyable by using a skin that has an instant result button. I simply dont have the time to play through game after game. May seems a shortcut but it works for me. I enjoy the squad building part of the game so this allows me to get through a number of seasons far more quickly than I could by playing each game. Still surprises me that SI havent implimented this as an option (unless a edited skin is used). 

Interesting idea the one of the skin, have you got a link to it? I would like to make a small test to see how it works.  But, if you do not see matches how do you set up a tactic?

Edited by Stobby84

9 hours ago, jimbo22 said:

I do commentary only nowadays (like the old days) as I don't have the time to play through matches with highlights or actually watch it in 3D.

8 hours ago, Stobby84 said:

Interesting idea the one of the skin, have you got a link to it? I would like to make a small test to see how it works.  But, if you do not see matches how do you set up a tactic?

The majority of downloadable skins have the instant result button.  Pick one you like the look of.

If you happen to have a Switch.. I really like Touch on that. Goes by faster than the PC version on my Steam Deck. Played A LOT of FM that way last year, even though I didn't have a lot of time. Portability does it for me :)