Switching Nationalities Ruling

Rub Me

Can anybody explain to me the new rules for players switching national allegiances, in layman's terms. I'm trying to build a lowly nation up but some of my players are wanting to switch nationalities despipte them being capped. I should add these caps are either in friendlies, qualifiers or nations league games. 

4 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

It only counts games in major tournaments now I believe.

Yeah, international friendlies does not remove the option to change national teams, but all competitive matches does. I think the only possibility to change (in real life) is if a new country is created (like when Sudan split and created South Sudan), and that's not something that happens in FM.

17 minutes ago, XaW said:

Yeah, international friendlies does not remove the option to change national teams, but all competitive matches does. I think the only possibility to change (in real life) is if a new country is created (like when Sudan split and created South Sudan), and that's not something that happens in FM.

Wasn’t there something about qualifiers not counting now? Maybe that’s for U21s…

It was talked about here:

Edited by gunner86

8 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

Wasn’t there something about qualifiers not counting now? Maybe that’s for U21s…

It was talked about here:

Hmm... my understanding was that qualifiers and nations league and the like counts as a competitive match.

1 minute ago, XaW said:

Hmm... my understanding was that qualifiers and nations league and the like counts as a competitive match.

Nuts right?

I’m managing England and can still call up a 22yo Nigerian striker with 12 caps, some of which are qualifiers, but might be less than 3 cos I don’t have all the match details.

This is set up incorrectly in the game at the moment. Hopefully it is fixed for FM24.

Once you play 4 games you are tied to that country, even if they are friendlies. However the 3 games played now can be qualifiers / nations league matches (whereas previously 1 competitive game made you ineligible to switch).

This has been a big topic here in Ireland recently due to (incorrect) speculation about Evan Ferguson still being eligible for England.

https://theathletic.com/4837533/2023/09/07/evan-ferguson-england-ireland-fifa-nationality-change/

Does that mean he’s unable to switch nations?

Previously, the lines regarding international eligibility were blurred. However, in September 2020, FIFA Congress approved new regulations that stated that if a player made more than three appearances at “A” international level (or senior level), “whether in an official competition or non-official competition”, they could not change association.

Some Ireland supporters were unsure whether that included friendlies which, as Ferguson has only made three competitive appearances (as well as three friendlies), prompted concern.

However, as friendlies count as “non-official competition”, they have nothing to panic about — he is no longer eligible to represent England.

Edited by holidaysong

• 4 months later...