Please - don't let FM 24's tactics to stop working out of nowhere

For me, the most traumatic experience is when tactics inexplicably stop working. No, it's not that I want to play with the same tactics all the time and win, it's that the game doesn't give clear enough signals in which direction to change settings. 

And it creates a terrible sense of frustration when randomly changing instructions. I know some of you will say that these signals exist, but I don't see them, and I believe most other players do.

Sometimes I literally have to give up my preferred formation to accommodate this SI scheme.

think it would be ideal if this didn't happen, while the game is still kept harder in some other way. Or if it were to happen, but with clear signals of what needs to change. If it's like now, I'm skeptical about FM 24.

Basically, I hope that it will be worked on before the new installment of the game. That, as well as the possibility of selling players and effective youth development are, in my opinion, the most important aspects of the game.

P.S.

And please, don't make tactics with DM's more effective than ones with MC's. 

Edited by flauta kicma

I'm not sure what you are asking for here? I've used the same tactic since FM17 and it still works fine. Of course, I have to slightly tweak it to make sure I'm not being exploited by the opponents if their tactic works better against mine, but 99% of it is the same, and has been the same ever since then.

So if you start to suddenly lose, that might not be the tactic, or it might be that your opponents are changing how they play against you. And I don't think anyone wants opponents who don't react in the game?

There are no "let's break the tactic" functionality in the game, you just need to pay close attention to it. As you say, I will point out that the signals are there, but you also need to pay attention to notice it. Then you need to figure out if it's a tactical issue, or a player issue. And not just player skill, but also player motivation and mental state. These things can be gauged by body language (which you are told, rather than have to pay attention to notice).

What I do agree on, is that the assistant should be better at nudging you towards what the issue is. This would at least give users an inkling as to why things are happening if they don't see the signals themselves.

That said, in the game, as in football in general, you can do everything perfect, but still lose. Equally, you can do everything wrong and still win. That's why I tell people not to look at any match in isolation, but look at trends and more how things work or don't in a longer term view. A blimp happens to everyone, Man City or Arsenal can lose to a bottom half team, but if they do often, then it's time to react.

I agree with XaW here.

I've been playing this game since CM days, and never once experienced tactics suddenly not working. It always bemused me after patches to hear the same argument year after year. The match engine gets a minor patch and the forums were full of people posting how their team is losing every game. Normally followed by dozens of replies saying "it's your tactics!".

I have always just played fairly common sense tactics with constant tweaking and it has always worked for me.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

What I do agree on, is that the assistant should be better at nudging you towards what the issue is

I don't think it's as easy as that. How many times have people come on here to complain that their team's numbers are very low for tackles and interceptions and they are worried about it but when you dig deeper you find out that they have more possession than any team so of course their defensive numbers will be lower. The point of bringing up this example is to show that sometimes the players themselves don't even understand what they are trying to do so how is the AI supposed to understand and guide you. The game already tries to do that to an extent but because the AI is terrible at understanding what you are asking your team so you end up with stupid messages like "you're a man down so switch mentality from positive to defensive".

Better tutorial might be the answer but I also don't want them to go in and explain every single thing in the game because if they did that then I don't see the point of playing 

1 minute ago, DarJ said:

I don't think it's as easy as that. How many times have people come on here to complain that their team's numbers are very low for tackles and interceptions and they are worried about it but when you dig deeper you find out that they have more possession than any team so of course their defensive numbers will be lower. The point of bringing up this example is to show that sometimes the players themselves don't even understand what they are trying to do so how is the AI supposed to understand and guide you. The game already tries to do that to an extent but because the AI is terrible at understanding what you are asking your team so you end up with stupid messages like "you're a man down so switch mentality from positive to defensive".

Better tutorial might be the answer but I also don't want them to go in and explain every single thing in the game because if they did that then I don't see the point of playing 

Oh I certainly don't want the assistant to give everything away, but slight nudges that actually make sense would be nice. "We are conceding a lot from crosses recently, perhaps we should look at why that is" is a good way of doing it, not "change instruction x to y", that's not good.

I do think there are advantages to letting the game help you when you are struggling though, but I would want that to be optional anyway.

To be fair, I experienced this on 23 after a patch. After a break from the game to get over the frustration and some adjustments to a couple of things I got it back though, even went on to have an undefeated league season the season after. My conclusion was that I’d accidentally stumbled on a midfield combination that shouldn’t have worked but for some reason was working in the older ME version.

I can understand the frustration, but in the strive for constant improvement of the ME, these things are going to happen. Not to everyone, and not every update. Variety is the spice of life.