[FM24] Stuniverse's FM24 Adventure - Norway (Scandinavian / Nordics) adventure

Stuniverse

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Should be enough. If Vidar fail to win that match in hand, you'll be safe without kicking a ball.

That’s what I thought, @phnompenhandy but…

6 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

Episode 12b - September 2023 | "Down to the wire!"

--

Wire1.png.25dc974db0e5346ad161e3e39f5e9a4b.png

Wire2.png.ddf84fc7c567680187e9b7292240ba90.png

Wire3.png.acf004b4f17b94258c29a22d5af1dd39.png

8 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

With your habit of drawing, is it going to come down to goal difference????  :eek:

I hope not.

Both Vidar and us are at home.

I’m expecting Vidar to beat already relegated Bremnes which would take them one point above us so we have to get something from our home game with 5th placed Einer.

With only a two goal advantage in goal difference (assuming goal difference is the next deciding element if points are level, I haven’t checked the rules on that one) I’ll be going with the recent 4-1-2-3 which, at least, has seen an improvement in possession and chances created.

No doubt about it, we have the tougher game. Also, Vidar could slip up but I’m not counting on it as they will be confident after beating top-half Sandnes Ulf 2 in their game-in-hand in midweek.

At least the dressing room are happy again, and our star player Marius Bildoy is all smiles again so…

Come on, Loddefjord!

Edited by Stuniverse

1 hour ago, warlock said:

Good luck :thup:

Thank you, @warlock I think I'm going to need it.

Wire2.png.a02cf15a3cf903854838820346664202.png

Quite! A draw might be enough but I think you'll need a win.

I agree with you.

full_lg_table_after25.thumb.png.e8dac963fad176eb8d3e05486b5e9126.png

Just checked the league sorting rules.

lg_sorting_rules.png.22cebc66512cf16d9d1aff4b7f8c4b15.png

Our goal difference is -10, Vidar's is -12.

We've scored 41 goals, Vidar only 28.

And we won 5-3 on aggregate over the two league matches.

game1_vidar2-2loddefjord.png.71589d3712f7260dd4b7384405222af4.png

game2_loddefjord3-1vidar.png.0bcc5c3baf3ec211a995e2c1aae67d7c.png

Squeaky bum time :eek:

I hate that expression but... yes... absolutely.

9 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Cool heads won the day. I wonder if those 2 matches counted as "Important Games" re the hidden attribute.

That's a very good question that, @phnompenhandy.

I'm not sure, to be honest, but we had team meetings and players rallying the troops before those last two matches so FM obviously saw them as important matches.

Or it could have been my change of tactics...

Form.png.8a3a34f09596de1ecaf563b25f910644.png

... as we played much better and created a lot more chances in the Viking 2 and Sandnes Ulf 2 defeats, before going onto back-to-back victories against Bremnes and Eiger.

18 minutes ago, warlock said:

Job done, and done in style :applause:

Thank you, @warlock. Vidar beat Bremnes as expected so we needed the win over Eiger.

18 minutes ago, warlock said:

Hopefully, you can find some player upgrades and push on next season.

That's the plan, but with a... (no, hang on, that'll be a spoiler for an upcoming "Until Next Time" post).

Edited by Stuniverse

Until Next Time

Phew! That was a relief, it felt like we kind of limped over the survival line after seven straight defeats but to then turn it around and end the season with two back-to-back victories when it really mattered, whilst winning round a dressing room it looked like I was on the verge of losing, was very satisfying. I don't feel like celebrating 11th place, it doesn't feel like success but, hey, we over-achieved the Board's objective of "attempt to avoid relegation" whilst delivering Loddefjord's highest ever league finish in their history.

Things can only get better next season, right?

Let's take a look at My Profile:

MyProfile.thumb.png.a37472b2decd56ff51f6e584dcd4302f.png

--

So what have I learnt from this first season?

1. I was probably too impatient and tried to change things too quickly.

2. When the team was performing well going into the mid-season (summer) break, and heading towards mid-table, it was almost certainly a mistake to make so many changes.

3. What little scouting budget there is at this level soon gets spent, far better to bring players in on trial and assess them here in Loddefjord at the Alvoen Stadion.

4. My squad was too large for the majority of the season which over-burden's my limited coaching team and dilates any development for individual players.

5. Do my players really need to be learning three different formations / systems when we only train Tuesdays and Thursdays?

Hegrenes_AM0.png.1ccac0ead1844c862e1959091f33b969.png

6. My players appear to respond better to my Assistant Manager's soft, good cop  "you were unlucky, I'm proud of you" approach rather than my bad cop "you were rubbish, I didn't like what I just saw" approach.

If there's anything else you've picked up about my performance as manager, that I've not mentioned, please do give me constructive feedback... (please, anyone can respond, but I'm tagging: @phnompenhandy, @warlock, @XaW, @I have nothing to say, @samboing@JaytheGreat and @Punch).

--

Job Status

Apparently my job is secure.

ClubVision.thumb.png.a488706dc92dde774eaeb44eb67df9a6.png

So I'm going to ask my Chaiperson, Petter Bjerke, for a new contract and a coaching badge.

--

Any questions...

Thoughts, comments, general feedback appreciated.

Any questions, just ask and I'll answer them if I can.

Thank you for reading and following.

Until next time...

Stuniverse_Loddefjord_bg.png.d220fb894e75093345a79a63eb70c98a.png

Stuni Stuniverse

Edited by Stuniverse

11 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

I don't feel like celebrating 11th place

You achieved their highest ever league position so you should. That surely makes you a Loddefjord legend!

The "what you've learnt" seems fine to me, mid-table next season? 

Edited by I have nothing to say

13 minutes ago, I have nothing to say said:

You achieved their highest ever league position so you should. That surely makes you a Loddefjord legend!

Loddefjord legend :D sounds good to me, @I have nothing to say

Edited by Stuniverse

19 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

4. My squad was too large for the majority of the season which over-burden's my limited coaching team and dilates any development for individual players.

How big is your squad, exactly? I discussed with you earlier, there is a "sweetspot" where coaches' workload jumps from light > average > heavy. I think I detected in my last season the workload was sub-optimal when I had c 30 players, then when some got poached and the number went to about 27 or 28 the workload decreased. The exact number might depend on coach and facility quality - not sure. If you go over, I think it's best to dump some of them in the Under 18s or whatever you have that trains separately. I have what I consider to be a maximum size of 33 right now (3 for each position, including academy intake kids in the Under 18 squad) which I expect to reduce to maybe 25 over time.

4 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

How big is your squad, exactly?

I have what I consider to be a maximum size of 33 right now (3 for each position, including academy intake kids in the Under 18 squad) which I expect to reduce to maybe 25 over time.

Well, spookily @phnompenhandy, if I've counted correctly (see screenshots below), I also have a first team squad size of 33 players (it was as high as 46 at one stage of the season). There's three U19 players I plan to promote to the first team squad so that I can involve them in friendly matches next pre-season, even though they are nowhere near first team standard yet. Two of them have one star current ability and the third doesn't register any stars yet.

There are three or four players I'm thinking of releasing and, overall, I'd like to have a first team squad of less than 30 going into the 2024 season.

squad_size1.thumb.png.2247578d11d04ea3537fe3b766e4eecb.png

squad_size2.thumb.png.8ba1300952cd889f7c62ee1212f3c53f.png

Congratulations on survival in season one! I think I would agree with all of your points, I know it’s difficult to do probably because it’s too easy just to add players to the squad but I think maybe the approach for this coming season would be only sign players that are better than what you already have. It’s clear you have goals in the team, it’s just stopping the goals going in the other end! Amazing result to end the campaign, I was scrolling down the page not sure how the final game would pan out but brilliant result! Looking forward to season 2

6 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

5. Do my players really need to be learning three different formations / systems when we only train Tuesdays and Thursdays?

Glad you asked :D. No, they don't. And, I'd suggest, they probably can't. If they could they wouldn't be playing for Loddefjord.

I'd generally agree with your "other lessons", particularly regarding morale-boosting team talks. These aren't entitled superstars, they're postmen and butchers and call-centre-operators who are playing for fun. So make it fun.

A good season; hopefully next year will be even better.

23 minutes ago, samboing said:

Congratulations on survival in season one!

Thank you, @samboing.

23 minutes ago, samboing said:

I think I would agree with all of your points, I know it’s difficult to do probably because it’s too easy just to add players to the squad but I think maybe the approach for this coming season would be only sign players that are better than what you already have.

That's the thing though, the players I signed in the mid-season (summer) break I took on trial, had my coaching team assess them, played them in friendly matches and they were better (at least my coaches thought they were) than what I already had in the building. They just didn't play like it... until the last two matches of the season.

26 minutes ago, samboing said:

It’s clear you have goals in the team, it’s just stopping the goals going in the other end!

I totally agree. I could do with some better players in defence, but I also think going with a Balanced mentality, and a defensive midfielder in a 4-1-2-3, will help in that respect; it's how we finished the season and I liked the way it was coming together.

28 minutes ago, samboing said:

Amazing result to end the campaign, I was scrolling down the page not sure how the final game would pan out but brilliant result!

I was very nervous going into that final game of the season, I can tell you.

29 minutes ago, samboing said:

Looking forward to season 2

Me too. I'm loving managing in Norway to be honest.

19 minutes ago, warlock said:

Glad you asked :D. No, they don't. And, I'd suggest, they probably can't. If they could they wouldn't be playing for Loddefjord.

Good point, well made.

19 minutes ago, warlock said:

I'd generally agree with your "other lessons", particularly regarding morale-boosting team talks. These aren't entitled superstars, they're postmen and butchers and call-centre-operators who are playing for fun. So make it fun.

I'll try but, in my defence, losing seven matches on the spin was pretty exasperating.

20 minutes ago, warlock said:

A good season; hopefully next year will be even better.

Thank you, @warlock. I hope next season will be even better as well. I think we have the core of a team and squad that can be competitive in the Norsk Tipping-ligaen Avdeling 3. The way we finished the season gives me confidence and Eiger, who we beat 4-0 on the last day of the season, were 5th going into that game and finished 6th.

Board and Supporter Expectations for the 2024 season will be coming soon in Episode 13.

Episode 13 - End of Season | "We're looking for a scout"

--

Scout_offered_HamKat_ChSc2.png.c64e7e93881361357dff86fa9a561397.png

We lost our scout Eivind Sundet to Eliteserian football club Hamarkameratene, although HamKam have been relegated so will play in OBOS-ligaen (Tier 2) next season.

HamKam offered him a job as Chief Scout so I can't blame him for going.

Spoiler

Scout_offered_HamKat_ChSc4.thumb.png.c5b2af4933b216f77954f0813aed3614.png

--

We've placed an advert for a new scout.

Scout_offered_HamKat_ChSc3.png.284ec207d711989a126454310fa51bbf.png

Episode 13 - End of Season | "Youth Intake"

--

U19_Elite_Top_Talents.thumb.png.da540732b22892f5268c13937b6c0542.png

With the new youth intake due to join us in January, I've promoted Fredrik ThomassenThomas Granli and Sivert Hansson to the first team squad so that I can assess them in pre-season.

Spoiler

YthIntake6_Fredrik_Thomassen.thumb.png.c2f58aba5f67dbc4719f52359dd2b13d.png

YthIntake5_Thomas_Granli.thumb.png.97b285e739d2588545000753857fa244.png

YthIntake7_Sivert_Hansson.thumb.png.afbf3e72f4aea324ab447effb06cb72d.png

--

January's Youth Intake Preview

YthIntake1.png.897a23e12fa87499419b1ec87a98e42c.png

YthIntake2.png.855e4acb82867fc963b3f15765bf4bc2.png

YthIntake3.png.1bbd79366b31023348ea3fac047b94d1.png

YthIntake4.png.121bd39e857c0d49dc03dfa572d04fb3.png

Episode 13 - End of Season | "One in and one out"

--

Leaving Loddefjord

I'll be looking to trim the squad going into pre-season so that I can, hopefully, bring in some new players to strengthen us in key areas. I haven't fully made decisions on who we'll be releasing but three, possibly four, maybe as many as half-a-dozen players will be let go in early pre-season.

One player who will definitely be leaving us is Stord's Jens Aaserud Hystad who was unable to break into the first team during his loan here at Alvoen.

LOAN_finishes_Hystad2.thumb.png.b55ca7f4a3a80aaac924494392fcf795.png

Spoiler

LOAN_finishes_Hystad.thumb.png.3cf213770f1530d9d6137c0670077e05.png

--

Joining us at the Alvoen Stadion

We've already made one signing and I'm delighted to announce that striker Hans-Martin Michaelsen will be joining us from Vidar when the transfer window opens in January.

IN_Michaelson1.png.3893a5c703aa8fa127bf4f0fcdaf7c44.png

Spoiler

IN_Michaelson2.thumb.png.82280192c5111ef8fe3ed7b64420e4a7.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Episode 13 - End of Season | "Expectations for 2024 Season"

--

Board Expectations

Board1.png.020c9998be968ff087c6a7dc4d5a0f90.png

My Chairperson, Petter Bjerke, has informed me that the Board expect a top-half finish next season.

Board2.png.0af5dd4bf23ae5efa6ec8317782831e9.png

--

Supporter Profile

SupporterProfile.png.0391c94bba240f4e7a82e18c9c8811f0.png

--

End of Season Team Meeting

I held a Team Meeting with the players where I congratulated them on avoiding relegation and achieving the highest league finish in Loddefjord's history, which dates back to 1961.

I told them to enjoy their holiday and come back in January ready to work hard towards a mid-table finish.

EoS_Meeting_mid-table_finish.png.53af3fbe06fc3162047eda4db49a8ab7.png

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the players response and that gives me confidence that we can not only achieve a mid-table finish, but break into the top half of the division which would satisfy the Board.

Edited by Stuniverse

Until Next Time

date.png.76b6ff56c215b92b1cde0983b89008ac.png

CoachingBadge1.png.9b18139b369ef9d89e435ba08977a15c.png

For the record, my Chairperson, Petter Bjerke, rejected my request for a Coaching Course.

CoachingBadge2.png.290b5961baa4c6ba3d19e6fab483bf12.png

I'm not sure when I'll be back with my next update as the Loddefjord players aren't due to report for pre-season until Monday 15th January 2024.

Holiday_15-01-2024.png.9188db5b927ac04ea92f34b8fcadf3d2.png

--

Any questions...

Until next time...

Stuniverse_unemployed_stadium_background.png.54bcc57eca8646cf3e9135ae4727851d.png

Stuni Stuniverse

Edited by Stuniverse

10 minutes ago, warlock said:

Oh yeah, always is. And no criticism was intended. 

I found your comments insightful and helpful as always, @warlock. I didn't take it as a criticism.

What I meant by my comment "I'll try but, in my defence, losing seven matches on the spin was pretty exasperating" was that I don't find it easy to be all nicey nice to my players when they put in a sub-standard performance, and when it's seven consecutive sub-standard performances, well...

Hegrenes_AM0.png.26e91e9c355bf965b1423e9991695853.png

My Assistant Manager, on the other hand, finds it very easy to tell the players they were "unlucky" and that he's "proud" of them, 

Edited by Stuniverse

1 hour ago, Stuniverse said:

I don't find it easy to be all nicey nice to my players when they put in a sub-standard performance

Understood, but as one of those between-game tips that pops up during background processing says, if you're on a poor run, harsh team talks are unlikely to help. A timely morale boost can work wonders.

Hopefully, you'll avoid 7-game losing streaks in future and all this will be theoretical :D

4 hours ago, warlock said:

Understood, but as one of those between-game tips that pops up during background processing says, if you're on a poor run, harsh team talks are unlikely to help. A timely morale boost can work wonders.

Yep, you’re spot on, @warlock. Which is why I have noted it as a learning point. It also, probably explains why two of my players were confused by my team talks and demanded a showdown meeting with me. During that poor end of season run of defeats, at least two of my post-match team talks saw the whole matchday squad react badly.

4 hours ago, warlock said:

Hopefully, you'll avoid 7-game losing streaks in future and all this will be theoretical :D

Hopefully, yes. I think with the top-half finish Board expectation for the 2024 season, my Chairperson, Petter Bjerke, would sack me before the losing streak reached seven.

Edited by Stuniverse

1 hour ago, Punch said:

You over achieved compared to what the board wanted, take the positive, move on, and aim for higher next season.

That’s the plan, @Punch. I’m just disappointed because going into the mid-season (summer) break, I had Loddefjord heading towards mid-table.

1 hour ago, Punch said:

Good job :applause:

Thank you.

Episode 14 - December 2023 | "A quiet month, AND THEN..."

--

*** BREAKING NEWS ***

Board_go_semi-pro.png.c934648647fa25761d652d7bc6125ceb.png

Now this came out of the blue and was a complete surprise to me. I wasn't even asked if I thought it was a good idea.

Elections0_Bjerke_wins.png.59cebcb4661c85b6d9f35d54ae983ac6.png

I'm not sure how that aligns with Petter Bjerke, the Chairperson's message to me about  not providing any investment but, hey, I'll take it.

Elections0_Bjerke_message.png.eb5d457a49a1df9a3a0713f91c68f893.png

Although I'm not sure how we'll pay for it on our current ticket pricing and home attendances of between 230 and 250 at the Alvoen Stadion.

Ticket_Prices.thumb.png.d8c9fc99188e004f54f5a919093294f5.png

--

Budgets

Budgets_wage_transfer.png.1b5736419fe62d93fc1f0e4dd9d85b8e.png

Scouting_budget.png.bcf628a4ab53536e006bf9f8fcac466b.png

--

More Backroom Staff

That has to be good news, right?

FT_staff.thumb.png.e92859d16e309bb0514c97cf441808a3.png

U19_staff.thumb.png.23ebb512130a607c5ef99e5835d0126c.png

So, as I see it, we can hire one more Scout and an additional coach for the U19s.

We're already recruiting scouts after our scout left to be Chief Scout at a club higher up the pyramid but we'll place an advert for an U19 Assistant Manager.

Edited by Stuniverse

Episode 14 - December 2023 | "Doing the maths"

--

Budgets_wage_transfer.png.6f51714de838fb7b7cbcefd406f3f156.png

We have a wage budget of £2.4K per week of which we're currently spending £7.00 per wek.

Finances2.thumb.png.d88caff933fdd5a67e56ad3a70dc906e.png

--

Averaging out the wage budget

OK, let's see. If I went for a first team squad of, say, 30 players, that would average out at £80.00 per week per player but, obviously, I'll look to pay better players more and the not-so-good players less although I'm not sure I'll offer all of my players anything like £80.00 per week.

I'd also like to come in considerably under budget if possible as I'm not sure how the Board are planning to fund the player wages.

--

What are other semi-pro football clubs at our level splashing out?

Let's look at how that compares to our semi-professional rivals in Norsk Tipping-ligaen Avdeling 3.

Well Bjarg, who won promotion by winning our division, are semi-professional but don't appear to be paying anybody, not even Joachim Westrheim who they poached from us during the last transfer window. Maybe they've only just gone semi-pro like us?

Contracts_Bjarg.thumb.png.4f169449cebe9c6f60672d32c1497525.png

Staal appear to have more playing contracts than anybody else in our division but they only have six players on anything better than an amateur contract.

Contracts_Staal.thumb.png.cc953d013400740c7506ea9cf4cbe5b2.png

And Brodd, for example, only have three players not on an amateur contact.

Contracts_Brodd.thumb.png.c32190f655008794d8d06e280165c8a7.png

Ha ha, it gets you, doesn't it? Same thing happened with me - turn semi-pro at least two seasons too early - and everyone else too. As far as wages go, just give non-contracts and appearance money. That way, you're only paying 11 players per match, plus £1 for each benchie. And those weeks without a competitive game - no expenses.

Episode 14 - December 2023 | "Two players leaving us"

--

Ahead of the players returning to the Alvoen Stadion for pre-season, two players will definitely be leaving us.

--

Jens Aaserud Hystad's loan from Stord expires and we have no interest in bringing him back. Jens is a nice guy, a wonderful human being, and we wish him well.

LOAN-ENDS_Hystad.png.b4cba1ffd5963e9a4904d9c2d5ca345b.png

Spoiler

LOAN-ENDS_Hystad2.thumb.png.439059b59a52ac1df542d0ae3ec55ab6.png

--

Noa Fjelddahl has opted to drop down a level in pursuit of regular first team football and will be joining Klepp. We like Noa a lot, think he has a good future in the game, but he's some way off being a regular first team player for us. We wish Noa all the very best for the future.

OUT_Fjelddahl1.png.156a539929ee0213a2406ebbc2d8e64f.png

Spoiler

OUT_Fjelddahl2.thumb.png.4a1aa0ddfe8569077dc5d0e7bf0f26ec.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Ha ha, it gets you, doesn't it? Same thing happened with me - turn semi-pro at least two seasons too early - and everyone else too. As far as wages go, just give non-contracts and appearance money. That way, you're only paying 11 players per match, plus £1 for each benchie. And those weeks without a competitive game - no expenses.

Good tip, @phnompenhandy. I like your thinking...

Episode 14 - December 2023 | "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year"

--

I hope everybody had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...

--

Board Confidence

Board.png.5055c5302cdd6ca5e03e822a0ab9f76e.png

--

Supporter Confidence

Supporter.png.e9b17c423128c8c9eed155c95cdaba57.png

--

Finances

Finances1.png.ef6e0f01bf38d6a8a625b89cf5cb6099.png

--

Dynamics

Dynamics1.png.84e5be7c525b2a395223e3f023662f02.png

Dynamics2.png.9a2c10320980696707fe56c5365d495e.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Until Next Time

14-01-2024.png.e636120b8a13469618d9a68f4418d0a7.png

I'm not sure when I'll be back with updates (currently waiting for FM24 to reset for the new season) but definitely before our pre-season friendly matches get underway. 

--Holiday_15-01-2024.png.598c1bc46ddd56b3aa331cdb4438aaa9.png

The players are due back week commencing 15th January although a handful of them will be in for a surprise as I'll be releasing them. I'm 99% sure on one, for definite, but I haven't completely made my mind up on the others yet.

--

Any questions...

Until next time...

Stuniverse_unemployed_stadium_background.png.4d847b5179a400de153105a2331189b3.png

Stuni Stuniverse

Edited by Stuniverse

5 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Wasn't me. I'm just a coach. The board and DoF controls the purse strings and handed out those contracts.

:lol:

And I've just taken that responsibility off my Director of Football as I didn't want him blowing the wages.

10 minutes ago, Punch said:

Another option with semi pro, is just continue with not paying players, and offer them a contract if other clubs come chasing them.

Depends how much risk you want to take.

Thanks for the tip, @Punch.

I’m pretty risk averse to be honest. Still not got over losing Joachim Westrheim to Bjarg. I will probably look to offer my better players something and then see how we go with the rest of the squad.