FM24 - Need help setting up. Playable / Playable-View Only / View Only

Yes it's that old chestnut again, I'm essentially looking to create an environment that will be good for long term saves whilst at the same time, not bringing my machine to a grinding halt. Processor is AMD Ryzen 5 78000 with 16GB Memory. So not a bad spec.

I've selected leagues from 16 different countries, although in many instances I've only selected the top league - done this in all of them apart from the English league. Using Large Database my player count is 79,140. Does that sound decent? The issue though is it says this spec is 2 out of 5 stars which worries me how slow it will run.

So I'm thinking, perhaps I can set some to view only. But I see 'Playable-View Only' - what exactly is the difference between all 3?

Also, is the star system to be believed in this FM? I saw a video from Zealand where he was setting up an environment that equated to 2 and a half stars. Is FM24 harsh when dealing with info like this and perhaps 2 stars is nothing to worry about?

i.e. If I select Serie B and above for Italy and apply 'Playable/View Only below' - does it mean I can manage a team in Serie B and above but it's view only from C downwards?

Looking at this link (https://www.footballmanagerblog.org/2022/10/best-way-to-set-up-football-manager-2023-save-fm23.html) too it says to add players from all continents at the beginning. tbh is this worth it though as all it will do is increase the initial player pool, but I'm more looking to adding the necessary leagues to ensure regens come through - whilst at the same time, ensuring it runs decent

Edited by Steve1977beyond

It's not all about the player count. It's at least as important to consider how many active leagues you want and how detailed the simulation you will choose for those leagues. The more leagues you sim on full detail, the slower your game will run, but full detail is really nice to keep your most important leagues feeling as realistic as possible.

And yes, playable/view only below is exactly as you described it. Generally speaking, view only leagues aren't going to slow you game down much at all, so when I add a playable league I will also add the leagues below it as view only. It's the number of playable leagues, the amount on full sim detail, and the player count that really affect speed.

For a European save based in England, I would usually go with the following playable leagues:

1. ENG - top 6 levels (full sim at least the top 2 levels)
  2. GER - top 2 levels (full sim the top level)
  3. ESP - top 2 levels (full sim the top level)
  4. ITA - top 2 levels (full sim the top level)
  5. FRA - top 2 levels (full sim the top level)
  6. NED - top level
  7. POR - top level
  8. AUT - top level
  9. SUI - top level
  10. BEL - top level
  11. GRE - top level
  12. TUR - top level
  13. CZE - top level
  14. CRO - top level
  15. DEN - top level
  16. NOR - top level

You might also consider loading the top league as playable in Serbia, Sweden, Poland, Romania, Ukraine, Russia, Slovakia, Hungary etc., if your system is fast. Some might want to load Brazil and Argentina's top leagues as playable, though I find there are still plenty of South American wonderkids available for scouting without loading those leagues.

One extra thing I do, though, is to add players from every continent who possess a continental reputation.

As I recently wrote here:

The issue with this is what you consider fast vs what I consider fast might not be the same. So recommending setups is very tricky. If you want more details, see my posts in that thread.

11 hours ago, Steve1977beyond said:

Also, is the star system to be believed in this FM? I saw a video from Zealand where he was setting up an environment that equated to 2 and a half stars. Is FM24 harsh when dealing with info like this and perhaps 2 stars is nothing to worry about?

Worth reading @XaWresponse.

Ultimately, its what you are comfortable with.  on Fm24 the same save which has 120k players loaded and 40 leagues takes me 48% less time to process than on FM23. To me it translates to taking 50 secs to go from one week to the next while on Fm23 it would have taken me more than a 1 min.  You will find that on FM24 leagues with more detail are now processing more effectively than on FM23. And my rig shows this as 1 star. That one star is merely a recommendation, what you need to do on your end is to assess whether that speed is fine for you. When I am testing tactics only I only load one league and it takes me 10 mins to sim a season, but thats not how I play the game. What do you want to do with the game? Check out the benchmarking threads on the forum from FM23, they will give you an indication of how things run for people on different rigs.

Thank you both :)

So just to make 110% sure, if I select English League from League 2 and above, then the following will occur:

view only: viewable only

Playable: playable from league 2 and above

playable/view only: same as playable, but will be able to see Conference leagues and below. North and South etc

I’ve started a save with 41 countries, 55 leagues and 180k players. I’ve increased the detail in major comps too. Ramped things up massively vs my FM23 save and it's running at the same speed. I'm blown away. Laptop ain't that great i7 6700Q 8GB ram. Acceptable speed is subjective but I would just say be ambitious. 

Exactly.

Personally i do like the Big 5 playabe first amd second division (more in the one i manage in), Top division for like 5-7 more in europe, brasil, argentina, us, mexico, Japan. Everything else view only for Top division.

All a bit different when i manage outside Europe or a smaller european league.

Database all international players and all top clubs, first division for South America as well as like a few more in europe that aren't playable (leagues like norway or Austria)

Overall that's like 125k players for Original mode (170k for Your World). The difference between those modes with the extra 45k players was roughly 10% when i tested btw. 

Aside from everything else: Many players will spend a lot more time in menus and actual games than processing. So rather than a difference between, say, 2 and 4 hours for a season the difference really is more like between 12 and 14 (Just spitballing numbers).

Edited by Marinho

• 1 month later...
On 27/11/2023 at 07:02, oi_oi_ginger_roy said:

Maybe its just me being thick but what is the difference between continental and nation reputation when adding in the players from that menu?

Continental reputation players are more widely known and are generally better. National reputation includes a lot more players.