Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

16 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Add "r-" before the newgens UID so that each line looks like this:

<record from="SpanMed/BAS33" to="graphics/pictures/person/r-12077778/portrait"/>

No luck for me, sigh. Before that, 4 out of 22 of my players weren't working post-patch. Now 19 of them don't work. :(

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, steve.battisti said:

No luck for me, sigh. Before that, 4 out of 22 of my players weren't working post-patch. Now 19 of them don't work. :(

You say 4 out of 22 weren't working. I'm guessing that most of your players are real people. The change only related to regens for whom the UIDs have been changed to have a prefix of "r-" . It doesn't relate to real players where that has been no change to the UIDs so your original config files for real players will still work and should not be changed.

44 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

You say 4 out of 22 weren't working. I'm guessing that most of your players are real people. The change only related to regens for whom the UIDs have been changed to have a prefix of "r-" . It doesn't relate to real players where that has been no change to the UIDs so your original config files for real players will still work and should not be changed.

OK, so I think I have it. If I am using custom faces for a variety of players, some of whom are newgen, and some of whom aren't, then the rows for the newgens need "r-" and the rows that are NOT newgens do NOT need "r-". Is that correct?

(This is now working for me doing it like I just mentioned, but just thought I'd confirm for anyone else dealing with this.)

Thanks very much!

Il 1/12/2023 in 19:06 , lightworker ha scritto:

Il 1/12/2023 in 09:12 , RealRed ha scritto:

FM is a game that's supposed to be fun and not IRL Football Simulator.

I don't understand why people complain about the large amount of goals scored and now it's "fixed". It's a game, it's supposed to be fun to beat R. Madrid 5-0. What's the fun in all games ending 0-0, 1-1, 0-1, 1-0, 2-1?

Imho fun is to be nearest to reality as possibile both with scores and with the respect of the players value

I mean i accept you can defeat Real Madrid 5-0 maybe in 2040 if you've been able to develop your young players to great ones and they have not

Now if you win 5-0 against Real because Modric Kroos Vini Rodrigo Valverde and so on play as crap or your middle team play as the best version of City is not funny, it is totally disappointing, i want a real challenge not an arcade for teenagers

Widget blockquote

Edited by steve.bs69

On 01/12/2023 at 12:07, Muja said:

I agree completely.
At the moment, the central attacking midfielder just... sits there in the middle, or makes forward runs if you ask him to.
But there are zero horizontal movements, even if you give him the instructions "move into channel" and "free roam". 
Golden age Dybala was all around the pitch, he was basically everywhere, and that's what you'd expect from someone with the free roam PI.

This issue is somewhat solved by positional play since you can make him move to more lateral areas of the field where he can be more effective. But it would be great to see a lot more movement from the team's main creative player.

I haven’t found this to be true pre or post patch. I play a number 10 slightly off centre (on the left). I see him moving across the line and into both channels. Let him be expressive 

10 minuti fa, FM Addick ha scritto:

I haven’t found this to be true pre or post patch. I play a number 10 slightly off centre (on the left). I see him moving across the line and into both channels. Let him be expressive 

Yeah, it's possible if you use an asymmetric formation (I just can't, I'm too obsessive for that kind of stuff) or with positional play (if you use a forward who comes deep, or a midfielder who makes forward runs). 

BUT this means the AMC will only play on THAT flank, left or right. He won't move from one flank to the other, to make himself a pass option wherever the game develops, as a ten irl would. 

And without positional play or an asymmetric formation, he'd behave as I said, no matter how expressive you let him be. 

43 minutes ago, steve.battisti said:

OK, so I think I have it. If I am using custom faces for a variety of players, some of whom are newgen, and some of whom aren't, then the rows for the newgens need "r-" and the rows that are NOT newgens do NOT need "r-". Is that correct?

(This is now working for me doing it like I just mentioned, but just thought I'd confirm for anyone else dealing with this.)

Thanks very much!

Exactly … you’re very welcome

8 minutes ago, smithy20 said:

The defending is so bad since the patch :lol: Might be time to get FM22 or 23 loaded back up.

Bad? ****. I was the top scoring team in the league thru 12 games pre patch, and in the 8 games since ive tied 5 of them 1-1. Im struggling to break down teams I was previously dominating. Loving it tho

19 minutes ago, smithy20 said:

The defending is so bad since the patch :lol: Might be time to get FM22 or 23 loaded back up.

Pre-patch the defending was incredibly passive. To me, it's had major improvements. Still passive in some instances sure, but it's a lot better.

AlvercaSADvFCPorto_Review-3.thumb.png.e44efb61754d404cf68820f58139641e.png

Think this game from todays session was a perfect example of most things I'm finding frustrating at the moment. Far too many chances for the dominant team, which leads to silly amounts of missed chances, followed up by a poor team (in this case very bottom) being stupidly clinical in response to balance out the spanking they've been on the end of. The cherry on top is the 5 woodworks that happened on top of everything else in this game. 

Surely DFKs goals shouldn't be this rare? 30 games into the season and only 4 teams managed to score a single one.

afbeelding.png.ace761cd9c2552d9a43a7be85ac5dfac.png

afbeelding.thumb.png.a6c2700c83be1965d93e58564814e15b.png

I haven't scored a single one, despite having some very solid takers for Danish Superliga standards.

afbeelding.png.b0033de3583ae33f5527a2731101fcb8.png

Considering how many DFK highlights I get, it's also not due to a lack of trying either! According to my stats my players took 42 free kick shots. While DFK goals aren't that common, surely it shouldn't be so bad that 2/3rds of the teams in the league don't score a single one in almost an entire season?

On 01/12/2023 at 18:01, wazzaflow10 said:

Its maybe a bug or something that could potentially be looked at if they raised it as a bug with what they think the issue is in the bug forum. They would have gotten a completely different response and a message from someone at SI if 95% of the post wasn't a childish tirade. But calling the game "the worst ever" and a bunch of hard work "********" is a poor way to get meaningful attention.

But who's to say a manager would never ever do that if they had youth prospect they wanted to play? I've done it when I've been strong favorites on the first match of a season. And it seems the only issue is really that the AI rotated and lost a game. If they won would OP have cared? The AI gambled and it didn't work out. Its amazing how many people think that the game has to follow real life 1:1 at every moment in time or do exactly what the player would do. Rare events still need to happen otherwise we'd all be playing the same save.

It's good that the AI will rotate their squad and give playing time to youngsters but it needs to be tweaked so that it's used sensibly. City or Liverpool wouldn't leave out 5 of their star players in the opening match of the season vs. Luton. That would just be bizarre. Rotating youngsters in should be used more often if they have a tight schedule, or if the match doesn't have a big importance. Let's say City are leading the league comfortably and are playing Real Madrid in the UCL mid-week, it would absolutely make sense to rest many star players.

23 hours ago, Iakovenko said:

Just finished 2nd season as Palace, Arsenal have loan listed Saka and let him come to me for just 200k a month and 30% of his wages, loving the improved AI transfers 

And I should add that not a single other club was interested in that bargain 

Managed to extend Saka's loan for another season but because Arsenal are looking to give this promising youngster a chance in the first team,  I've had to pay 500k a month and 100% of his wages. Still a ridiculous bargain 

16 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

Anyone else find there are basically no 5 star coaches in any training category? 

According to FM Scout there is one 5 star defensive coach in the entire game, who is a scout IRL.  

There are zero 5 star attacking coaches and one coach who gets 5 stars for possession but is actually a goalkeeping coach IRL. :D 

There is an actual 5 star GK coach though, and a handful of fitness coaches, but yeah, yet another area of the game that desperately needs improved and has done for at least a decade.  

1 minute ago, celtic_fc said:

According to FM Scout there is one 5 star defensive coach in the entire game, who is a scout IRL.  

There are zero 5 star attacking coaches and one coach who gets 5 stars for possession but is actually a goalkeeping coach IRL. :D 

There is an actual 5 star GK coach though, and a handful of fitness coaches, but yeah, yet another area of the game that desperately needs improved and has done for at least a decade.  

Bizarre stuff! There are some pretty good coaches around.... Will post a bug report and quote your post. 

Played 2 games so far and about AI substitutions:   poor rating defensive players substitude most after first half playing against better reputation teams when in high score disadvantage.  They don't prioritize first to score. Maybe it is different  with similar reputation teams and squads. Other than that game  all fine to watch with animations and how the goals scored.

42 minutes ago, Steve1977beyond said:

has the new update fixed players getting unhappy when speaking to them?

The conversations mostly (9/10 options, sometimes 10/10) end negatively. 

Players are becoming unhappy less often / more reasonably though. 

Edited by whatsupdoc

6 hours ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Are people finding partnerships developing between their players?  I'm just starting season 2, and while I've changed formation a bit I've played ten of the eleven players pretty consistently, including the CD pairing in every match in the same positions/roles.  I haven't had any partnerships develop yet.

Haven't played this update long enough but in the previous one... 4+ years with virtually the same squad and identical tactics... Only one partnership and role knowledge fluctuating fairly wildly sometimes down to 50%

23 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Bizarre stuff! There are some pretty good coaches around.... Will post a bug report and quote your post. 

I mean, should 5* coaches be a common thing? Assuming that the current top teams have some of the best coaches in the world instead of just sleeping on their backroom staff, like the AI does, and almost none of these coaches are 5*, then surely SI intends for these coaches to be incredibly uncommon.

34 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

I mean, should 5* coaches be a common thing? Assuming that the current top teams have some of the best coaches in the world instead of just sleeping on their backroom staff, like the AI does, and almost none of these coaches are 5*, then surely SI intends for these coaches to be incredibly uncommon.

Yes, they should be. Coaching courses are extremely advanced as is theory and even the scientific evidence/research available. 

Not many of the top "coaches" actually coach their their players on the pitch for even half of the sessions. Ferguson, Mourinho do/did barely any coaching. Guys like Guardiola who lead the majority of sessions are not the norm.

How common? Well, there should definitely be more than 3 on the planet. 

Fitness coaches I'd say there should be of 25-50. There is a relatively low knowledge ceiling that almost anyone can reach, the differentiating factor in a great fitness coach is mainly personality. The "knowledge" side of fitness coaching is far more collaborative anyway, with physios, sports scientists and sports doctors all working together. 

Then in each category I'd say around 10 five star coaches. 

Like players they should peak and fall, but at any one time those feel like reasonable ballpark figures.

Also, some of the best coaches in the world are at youth level and happy to be there. FM could add a youth / senior aptitude stat to make things more realistic. A lot of senior coaches would destroy a junior team and some of the best junior coaches wouldn't work well with senior players...

Edited by whatsupdoc

10 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Who said they should be common?. 

In game there are a grand total of three 5* staff members across 8 coaching categories.  That's not just uncommon or even incredibly uncommon, it's non existent.  Especially when you consider two of those three don't even perform the job they get 5* for IRL.  

58 minutes ago, mpfm said:

It's good that the AI will rotate their squad and give playing time to youngsters but it needs to be tweaked so that it's used sensibly. City or Liverpool wouldn't leave out 5 of their star players in the opening match of the season vs. Luton. That would just be bizarre. Rotating youngsters in should be used more often if they have a tight schedule, or if the match doesn't have a big importance. Let's say City are leading the league comfortably and are playing Real Madrid in the UCL mid-week, it would absolutely make sense to rest many star players.

First match of the year is just an arbitrary game though. Game 1 counts the same as game 20. Could it be tweaked? Sure, I won't argue with it if we can find evidence that it has never happened or that more people have evidence of it happening frequently. But just because something has never happened doesn't mean it shouldn't be possible. That would mean a team like Luton would never be able to win the Premier League or San Marino win the World Cup simply because it's never happened.

Finally and this is always the suggested path, if someone is convinced they found a bug (and not just a result they're unhappy with) then raise it in the forums. Calling the game the "worst FM ever" over such a minor incident is childish at best.

7 minutes ago, wazzaflow10 said:

First match of the year is just an arbitrary game though. Game 1 counts the same as game 20. Could it be tweaked? Sure, I won't argue with it if we can find evidence that it has never happened or that more people have evidence of it happening frequently. But just because something has never happened doesn't mean it shouldn't be possible. That would mean a team like Luton would never be able to win the Premier League or San Marino win the World Cup simply because it's never happened.

Finally and this is always the suggested path, if someone is convinced they found a bug (and not just a result they're unhappy with) then raise it in the forums. Calling the game the "worst FM ever" over such a minor incident is childish at best.

AI leaving out 5 senior stars with no good reason needs a major "tweak". 

Sure rotate, give prospects a run... But 5 at the same time?

Edited by whatsupdoc

Again, not necessarily a bug report, but:

In my last 5 games, the AI goalkeepers have had the following exact ratings: 7.1, 8.5, 7.4, 7.8, 8.0

I wouldn't mind it every once in a while, to be honest. Except...the highest my keeper has had all season is a 7.5. Once. His current average is 6.32, despite being rated as 'good' for my division.

It's a bit boring that the only thing stopping me storming the division is Manuel Neuer clones every week. Unless this was the solution to the high-scoring matches...?

11 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

AI leaving out 5 senior stars with no good reason needs a major "tweak". 

Sure rotate, give prospects a run... But 5 at the same time?

The reason was it was a game the AI manager expected to win handily. The question shouldn't be this should never happen but rather has it happened too frequently. Its not as black and white as SI saying if(first game of season = True) {don't rotate players} else {rotate}. Only the devs know if this was the extreme end of an extreme event or if its the norm which is why the OP should raise it as a bug with the save game attached so they can look at the conditions in which it happened.

3 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I wish we had the option of giving our PA a custom picture, or at least changing their look.  Mine has hair like an exploding mattress and looks terrifying.  

image.png.6c31d393db53282f3d19581be5ba2c18.png

Give the girl a rest some time, mate! She looks like she haven't had a good nights sleep for years! :D 

1 hour ago, kevaggel said:

It would be nice to be able to do it without third party apps.

Either way, I've tried using this software and I can't get it to work.  Thanks for the link though.

Edit:  It worked - thank you.  First few times I tried using it it wouldn't find Zara Wallace.  Now it has and she has a much less terrifying picture.

image.png.071ca5b3865c40c637119bde24897377.png

Edited by kevhamster

7 hours ago, craiigman said:

2-0 up but under a bit of pressure, use the "encourage" shout, almost all the players "frustrated with the feedback"? How does encourage cause that..

If you are winning only praise will cause green reactions.

Encourage when losing or drawing.

Berate when losing.

If you use any of them at any other times you'll just frustrate the players these are also the only ones I've managed to shout at my whole squad and not frustrate them too.

These are the unwritten rules of shout club.

8 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I'm guessing it's the blowing a 3 goal lead whilst dominating possession.  It's frustrating, but sometimes you need to improve your own game management.  This sort of thing has happened to most of us, and it does happen in football.

Without a doubt.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

5 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I'm guessing it's the blowing a 3 goal lead whilst dominating possession.  It's frustrating, but sometimes you need to improve your own game management.  This sort of thing has happened to most of us, and it does happen in football.

It's the frequency in which it happens. 

Plus I've never seen a team come back from 3 down with only 26% possession. 

The issue is that the opposition AI shoot and score from wherever they like. They didn't even have a clear cut chance 

14 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Sunderland beat Southampton 5-0 with only 31% possession.  It happens.

image.png.e16f252106695f5297065c6a6f092464.png

They were playing at home.

Had plenty of chances, whereas Southampton created very little with the possession they had.

And Southampton weren't 3 nil up with half an hour to play. 

Also it didn't repeat the following week(s).

43 minutes ago, The About Average Jake said:

The issue is that the opposition AI shoot and score from wherever they like. They didn't even have a clear cut chance 

My team have been winning 2-0 this season a few times before ending up drawing the game!. 

1 hour ago, kiwityke1983 said:

If you are winning only praise will cause green reactions.

Encourage when losing or drawing.

Berate when losing.

If you use any of them at any other times you'll just frustrate the players these are also the only ones I've managed to shout at my whole squad and not frustrate them too.

These are the unwritten rules of shout club.

Demand more is good if your team is under performing 

1 hour ago, The About Average Jake said:

Possession doesn't mean you should win .