Southgate: Episode IV - A New Hope

Rob1981

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

He's been like that all season. It's maddening how his mistakes are overlooked.

He's definitely dropped a level last 12-18 months, turned up in the big games but been generally poor for a while now. Beginning to think we should consider Trent at RB, I'm worried :D

1 minute ago, arenaross said:

Feel like you probably want to be playing Trent seeing as Walker is cooked at this level now? 

It weakens the defence a lot on paper, but if Walker isn't going to bother defending then why not?

Not entirely serious but would a new manager right now really be a negative for England :D

Players looked like they hadn't trained together once, one shot on target :D

The defence looks poor, yet going forward we look even worse.

It is definitely a concern that Iceland managed to both restrict our chances with a very well organised defensive display, but they also caused us problems on the rare occasions when they got into our half.

Astute expectation management from Southgate. I hope Bellingham rests well, he has got his work cut out.

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Pleased with that.

72 hours or so when people weren’t relentlessly negative and I found it quite unsettling.

Rob Jnr: Daddy, why have you got a big smile after that? 
Rob: OTF thinks Gareth’s a **** again, my faith in human nature is restored

Just now, Bootador said:

I don't know what we learned today.

Trent the only real positive IMO

Gordon looked decent, lost all threat on the left the moment he went off as well.

We Icelanders were talking about how much England would trash us tonight since we had some important players missing, this was a pleasant surprise and gave the same warm memories of 2016, although it was just a friendly. Do keep in mind we have a population of just 400.000, that's 0.7% of England's population FYI :D

5 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

This isn’t all on Southgate. The players have been ***** 

Absolutely agree. Definitely some warranted criticism of Southgate but a lot of those performances were incredibly mediocre. But I would say that there'll be elements of self preservation and not wanting to get injured before the tournament.

Just now, Tyler42 said:

We Icelanders were talking about how much England would trash us tonight since we had some important players missing, this was a pleasant surprise and gave the same warm memories of 2016, although it was just a friendly. Do keep in mind we have a population of just 400.000, that's 0.7% of England's population FYI :D

your guys played really well!

If we play as bad as this against Serbia then we got problems. But I'm not really gonna read too much into this game. Last WC we were proper bad going into it too, and then looked a better side once tournament started. 

Just now, skybluedave said:

It wouldn't be a tournament if we weren't called for Southgate's head on the eve of it. He's gone after this tournament anyone. Everyone chill out and enjoy the ride

Trying to :D

Just now, skybluedave said:

It wouldn't be a tournament if we weren't called for Southgate's head on the eve of it. He's gone after this tournament anyone. Everyone chill out and enjoy the ride

Exactly, just keep thinking, only three games of his reign left. 

8 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

What you mean? You only pop up when we are playing bad or lose. You'd be miserable if we won 3-0

Last time we played well was probably October, bit hard to pop up any other time :D

19 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

He's gone after this tournament anyone. Everyone chill out and enjoy the ride

Thought that after the last one. Beginning to think he may actually stay forever.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Thought that after the last one. Beginning to think he may actually stay forever.

He was close to leaving last time. I think because it was only 18 months till next tournament with busy qualifiers coming straight up and it being mid season so hard to find new manager, the FA pushed for him to stay on. 

But saying that, even though I'm Rob Jr apparently, I do think he should have moved on after the WC. I think 3 tournaments is enough. Just no idea who would be a good replacement or who was available January last year

Edited by skybluedave

Think if Southgate was undecided on his future, those boos at FT will hopefully have cemented in his mind it’s time to leave this summer regardless how the tournament plays out.

Fully expect a story on his future to come out over weekend. 

There's a glaring lack of international goals in this side (Kane aside) you know. In the preliminary squad Maguire was our third top international scorer with 7 (Saka second with 11).

I know you can't judge those with a handful of caps like Palmer but still, compared to the likes of France who have Giroud, Griezmann and Mbappe all with 40 plus.

Could this be a problem if Kane doesn't perform? Rashford has 17 btw.

15 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

It's probably why we could do with Foden turning up in an England shirt at some point soon. 

iirc we just need to play him centrally instead of out wide, and then he will dictate the game

6 hours ago, Bootador said:

It weakens the defence a lot on paper, but if Walker isn't going to bother defending then why not?

Only for the casuals who judge defending by 1v1 and not by awareness and positional sense etc, which are far more important.

Walker reminds me of Clyne playing for us years ago, an absolute dead end. Why bother moving from defence? Said it for ages, get him up against Mbappe and the runners and don't let him move from that position, and then have the midfield defend the cut inside. Other than that, literally play anybody else. 

On the other hand, Rice is so good. He never doesn't impress me. On another day Gordon gets a goal after some good play. He's really dangerous, and Palmer missed some chances unusually. Think England will be fine, tbh, can't see this being a reflection of their Euro campaign. 

48 minutes ago, kopsy101 said:

Only for the casuals who judge defending by 1v1 and not by awareness and positional sense etc, which are far more important.

You think Trent’s strengths are defensive awareness and positional sense?

I can get on board with Trent starting at RB but it certainly wouldn’t be for those reasons. :D 

The worst thing about Southgate's England is reading comments from people who STILL CAN'T ****ING SPELL HARRY MAGUIRE'S NAME RIGHT!

itsbeen84years.gif

1 minute ago, arenaross said:

Tweet got deleted so I hid it so that wouldn't happen :D

No worries thought I'd gone mad.