Southgate: Episode IV - A New Hope

Rob1981

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

That's a phrase/saying that's been used for a while now in EPL isn't it? Hmsure I heard Peter Crouch talking about it on his podcast

Yeah the lionesses been using it for quite a while now.

I thought Foden had more than 4! How does that compare to other top nations? We've got a young squad and a fair few players that haven't been around the team for long.

You can't take a goalscoring heavyweight like Harry Maguire out of the squad and not take a hit. :D

It is what it is.  You lose Maguire to injury, and you dump Sterling and Rashford and take younger in-form players... you aren't going to have a lot of previous goals in the side.

Those three have bagged about another 45 goals between them.

Could be worse... at least we have Kane.  Italy don't have anyone even in double figures :D

Posted (edited)

If I was a betting man, I would put a cheeky fiver on Konsa and/or Guehi to score a goal during the tournament.

So much emphasis on set pieces at international tournaments when the teams are pretty well matched.  We have had a lot of CBs chipping in with goals in the past.  Maguire and Stones recently, but also the likes of Lescott and Upson and Ferdinand and Campbell and Mark Wright down the years.

Edited by Rob1981

1 hour ago, skybluedave said:

That's a phrase/saying that's been used for a while now in EPL isn't it? Hmsure I heard Peter Crouch talking about it on his podcast

Been in sport a while now. Eddie Jones was doing that for the England rugby team back in 2016

1 hour ago, Darren Moores Mum said:

I thought Foden had more than 4! How does that compare to other top nations?

Oh go on then...

PREVIOUS INTERNATIONAL GOALS IN EACH SQUAD:

Portugal       229
France         192
Belgium        180
Poland         156
Croatia        149
Netherlands    141
Denmark        138
Germany        135
Serbia         132
Switzerland    126
Ukraine        118
ENGLAND        100
Spain          100
Austria         96
Czech Rep       74
Turkey          72
Slovakia        70
Slovenia        70
Scotland        69
Georgia         67
Hungary         63
Romania         63
Italy           60
Albania         41

But then if you take each country's top scorer out we are right down the bottom:

France         135 without Giroud
Croatia        116 without Perisic
Portugal        99 without Ronaldo
Denmark         97 without Eriksen
Netherlands     96 without Depay
Belgium         95 without Lukaku
Switzerland     95 without Shaqiri
Germany         90 without Muller
Poland          74 without Lewandowski
Serbia          74 without Mitrovic
Ukraine         72 without Yarmolenko
Spain           65 without Morata
Austria         60 without Arnautovic
Slovakia        56 without Kucka
Czech Rep       55 without Schick
Slovenia        53 without Ilisic
Turkey          52 without Tosun
Georgia         52 without Kvaratskhelia
Scotland        51 without McGinn
Italy           51 without Barella
Hungary         50 without Sallai
Romania         49 without Stanciu
ENGLAND         37 WITHOUT KANE
Albania         33 without Manaj

Stats really reveal how much of a dominant force Kane has been for the past 8 years in an England shirt, AND, the lack of anyone being near his standard to compete with, AND, his lack of injury proneness. 

Also shows just how much of a sneaky transitional team we have out there this time.  

Could really do with some good number 9's coming through the youth ranks. Kane's invaluable, of course, but England is built around his skillset first (for better or worse). 

I've heard a lot of "transition" from serious journalists, and given that 2018 was a "transition" that leaves only 2 tournaments which we were supposedly a decent force. That's not exactly great.

I don't really agree, we just have a few glaring weak points at the back and just in front

Kane only had 15 goals going into World Cup 2018 and finished to scorer so I don't think it matters that much, they all have to start somewhere.

If you look at the number of club goals the England players have then it doesn't seem so bad either.

Oh I thought Southgate would be here, but it's just Mainoo.

Why? :D

Part of his media training I guess, maybe he volunteered for this. 

7 hours ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Oh I thought Southgate would be here, but it's just Mainoo.

Why? :D

Part of his media training I guess, maybe he volunteered for this. 

Probably first guy eliminated in Werewolf, everyone else still playing.

MEME RATING: 2/10

A wholly unsubstantiated claim here, and a criticism of Gareth’s use of his phone ffs. This is not even anything to do with football. Plus they’re abroad for a month here lads. Have a heart. Everyone knows you have to conserve your phone battery when you’re on holiday and you are out all day.

1 hour ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I think including Shaw was pretty dumb if they had an idea he wouldn’t start 2 of the 3 group games. 

He’s not good enough that he warrants inclusion over a fully fit Mitchell or Colwill surely. 

I didn't realise he'd not played a game for 4 months (yesterday), feels like a mad decision. You either acknowledge you need a left-footed left back and bring one into the squad that's fit... or you don't bother. A guy who's not played for 4 months isn't gonna be the guy is he.

Mitchell is crap though. 

Shaw is hands down the best LB we have, even at 80% he’s far better than many others so was worth a gamble.

Lewis Hall I feel would’ve been in squad had he been giving the chance by Howe few months earlier. 

28 minutes ago, Bootador said:

I didn't realise he'd not played a game for 4 months (yesterday), feels like a mad decision. You either acknowledge you need a left-footed left back and bring one into the squad that's fit... or you don't bother. A guy who's not played for 4 months isn't gonna be the guy is he.

Yeah I thought he’d been in squads as a sub or played 10-15 minutes here and there or something. 

Seems mental when you factor in other positions where the likes of Grealish, Rashford and Maguire have been dropped despite being as integral to England in some of the last few tournaments. 

18 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Mitchell isn't the answer if the problem is not offering an attacking threat on the left wing

The problem is having a left back that’s fit and can play :D 

Whether it’s Mitchell, Colwill or Hall/Burn, anyone is better than having Shaw who I presume now at best will play 25-30 minutes by the 3rd group game if he’s even fit enough for that. 

You can’t then throw him into the knockout stage games really where he could have to play 120 minutes. 

Colwill is great and I would 100% have taken him as a left footed centre back, but he is limited offensively (obviously) and probably less useful on that side as a wing back than Trippier is

31 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

The importance of Shaw is that he's an attacking left back. None of the suggested alternatives are that. Thats why he's been called up

Exactly this. We can be defensively solid without a left footed left back, what we miss is the attacking play. If the fitter left footed options aren't great going forward then they don't really solve the problem.

It doesn't matter what type of player he is. He's not fit and isn't going to be anywhere near match fit for this tournament. He's not even in group training if that tweet is anything to go by. 

Pretty interesting quote from Southgate here:

.....when ­discussing Bellingham. “He definitely got 90 minutes of running into 45; I think the occasion, the emotion, scoring …” Southgate said. It was as though he felt Bellingham had been too all‑action in some of the wrong areas.

“I mean, he had a phenomenal impact on the game and the great thing is that he is really coachable,” Southgate said. “We can sit and talk things through. We’ve got to get the right balance of not losing what he’s already bringing. And also, can we sow one or two things – as with all the players – that we can refine and get even more from him? That’s always the challenge.”

Seems pretty clear that Bellingham is seen to have been doing too much and (arguably) getting in other players' way.

2 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Seems pretty clear that Bellingham is seen to have been doing too much and (arguably) getting in other players' way.

He's your best player, if Southgate thinks that's a problem, then, he needs to, you know, manage it. :D

1 hour ago, RTHerringbone said:

He's 100% right and is what we said in here

Rice definitely has the potential to be as good as a Rodri or Kroos, no disrespect to Moyes, Southgate or any of the other coaches he had at West Ham or at youth level, but I think his biggest problem is he hasn’t had proper elite tactical coaching as a younger player and hasn’t played in sides that have the ball all the time against better opposition. 

I think he’s very good as a 6 or an 8, but he’s not truly elite at either yet. I think his general tackling ability, physicality, pace, stamina etc mean he’s always going to be Top 5 in the league, but to become the best in the league or the world he needs a few more years of coaching/training. 

If he’d signed for say City or Liverpool 4-5 years ago I think he’s already better than Rodri or Kroos. 

Edited by PaulHartman71

3 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Rice definitely has the potential to be as good as a Rodri or Kroos, no disrespect to Moyes, Southgate or any of the other coaches he had at West Ham or at youth level, but I think his biggest problem is he hasn’t had proper elite tactical coaching as a younger player and hasn’t played in sides that have the ball all the time against better opposition. 

I think he’s very good as a 6 or an 8, but he’s not truly elite at either yet. I think his general tackling ability, physicality, pace, stamina etc mean he’s always going to be Top 5 in the league, but to become the best in the league or the world he needs a few more years of coaching/training. 

If he’d signed for say City or Liverpool 4-5 years ago I think he’s already better than Rodri or Kroos. 

I think he just needs to not be English for someone like james McClean to rate him higher.

Not watched the video so don't know what was actually said but I've never heard Rice being rated higher than the two players mentioned.