Game 7: Serbia vs England from the Arena AufSchalke LIVE on BBC1 8pm

What will be the result?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/06/24 at 18:59

1 minute ago, Bootador said:

Kane wins so many free kicks, there's no way you can ever take him off defending a lead.

And if you're chasing a lead you can't take him off either.

Southgate is right here.

Yeah he took some great long balls down too, which Watkins is not good enough for technically

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO Palmer or Eze (or both if Bellingham's going deeper) have to play so we can keep the ball in the final third. Southgate won't see this though.

Saka has to play as many minutes as possible also.

@skybluedave @Pukey this is what I mean.

Edited by Baptista_8

Few too many loose balls overall, don't always need to make the risky pass especially when leading.

Pickford going long a bit was a bit baffling but can see the idea once Kane started winning his 1v1s with the defender

Kane's post match comments illuminating. Talking about how Serbia was marking man to man, so the plan was for him to drop deep and draw them onto him. Except you then need runners behind him. Except we left those runners in behind at home (Rashford and Sterling)

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

IMO Palmer or Eze (or both if Bellingham's going deeper) have to play so we can keep the ball in the final third. Southgate won't see this though.

Saka has to play as many minutes as possible also.

@skybluedave @Pukey this is what I mean.

I agree in principal with Saka but I'm not sure Saka had 90 mins in him at moment tbf. He needs to be managed throughout the group stage, he picked up a knock recently didn't he and off back of a slog of a season

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

Kane's post match comments illuminating. Talking about how Serbia was marking man to man, so the plan was for him to drop deep and draw them onto him. Except you then need runners behind him. Except we left those runners in behind at home (Rashford and Sterling)

Course they were left at home, they've been **** for ages, Rashford a whole season.

Gordon and Saka would have been fine to do that job.

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Bowen gave it a go tbf. Did alright when he came on

Just now, aiston said:

Course they were left at home, they've been **** for ages, Rashford a whole season.

Gordon and Saka would have been fine to do that job.

They both like ball to feet. So it didn't work did it. Which we literally watched with Saka

Just now, skybluedave said:

Bowen gave it a go tbf. Did alright when he came on

Yeah he did give it a decent crack, but we needed more (not Bowen's fault). Wary of us getting one dimensional. Need Shaw back down the left flank

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

I honestly don't think I've seen a England player play like Bellingham. We've not come close to having a player like him. 

Rooney in Euro 2004 surpassed even Bellingham.

I honestly don't think I've seen a England player play like Bellingham. We've not come close to having a player like him. 

Gerrard, Lampard and er, Hargreaves rolled into one

I'm a bit too young to have seen him at his peak but going from highlights alone, Gazza was probably the closest. But he was his own worst enemy, while Bellingham seems to have his head on straight.

Rooney in Euro 2004 surpassed even Bellingham.

Maybe yeah. But Bellingham, being midfielder, just controls games like I've not seen before from an England player. Like the opposition are terrified of him

2 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Cesc agrees we need Palmer, enough for me

Who in place of? Saka was our best player tonight and why would you drop Foden? He can come on as sub fine, but starting no.

5 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

I'm a bit too young to have seen him at his peak but going from highlights alone, Gazza was probably the closest. But he was his own worst enemy, while Bellingham seems to have his head on straight.

Gazza was a different level altogether.  One of a kind.  Bellingham is going to have a great career though,  He'll make a real name for himself soon, if he hasn't already.  Great goal tonight.

I know I’m biased but the second half was made for Gordon on the left, especially given Foden’s struggles. Give him the ball and he either wins a foul or gets you at least 30 yards further up the pitch.

Edited by Smallen

3 minutes ago, Darren Moores Mum said:

Guehi is soothing to listen to. I feel really calm.

My local side are already milking the fact they were his first team when he was 6 years old:

3 minutes ago, Rebs said:

Who in place of? Saka was our best player tonight and why would you drop Foden? He can come on as sub fine, but starting no.

Yes. Foden has been ineffective for England for far too long. We need Palmer's composure and ability to keep the ball. Gareth won't drop him though, could even play Jude deeper and bring Palmer in for TAA. We definitely need him either way.

Yes. Foden has been ineffective for England for far too long. We need Palmer's composure and ability to keep the ball. Gareth won't drop him though, could even play Jude deeper and bring Palmer in for TAA. We definitely need him either way.

No.

I think Trent in midfield needs to learn when to go for the Hollywood and when to keep it simple. Felt like when we were playing well he was good but when we under pressure he kinda panicked and went for the speculative when it wasn't needed. I think that'll come more he plays in midfield but whether that's this tournament I'm not sure

4 minutes ago, Constantine said:

Gordon in for Foden would've killed us. It's weird Gareth haven't went for it.

Gudelj has no place in the team if you're already playing with three CBs.
Rather have Ilić or someone more mobile.
Samadržić not getting any minutes is also really questionable.
He's the only midfielder with enough dribbling and strength to constantly run at his marker and be a threat from around the area.

I don't agree that Palmer is levels above Foden. Or Gordon is above him. Foden is one of the best 11 players in the England squad.

But I do wonder at what point Southgate, or any other England coach, starts to question his place in the XI. He has had a string of pretty nothing performances for England. And it's not a small sample either. For whatever reason he just doesn't seem to do it in the international scene, and imo international football is about finding the players that do well for you and sticking with it.

Like Pickford, Maguire et al.