Game 9: Belgium vs Slovakia live from the Frankfurt Arena. ITV1 5pm

What will be the result?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result

• Belgium win
    • Draw
    • Slovakia win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/06/24 at 15:59

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, titchuk said:

The mic is in the ball is it?

Mic's in the ball but they're not checking every single bounce all game.

It's just a check for situations like that when there's a handball appeal but the ball direction change isn't totally obvious

• Administrators

Looking back at the handball, I don't have a problem with it because of the positioning of the arm, but at the same time my problem with handball calls is so often you're left wondering whether people should have arms at all. 

Openda should have come on earlier. They looked much more threatening and he has been brilliant a in a 2 man partnership this season. Slovakia were brilliant. Lobokta in particular was brilliant. Skrinjar too. KDB was well below par. Belgium look so vulnerable defensively. No surprise there.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

God i hate Pougatch

Worst presenter I've seen in all my time watching football broadcasts, I think. 

6 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

God i hate Pougatch

With any luck they are quietly sidelining him.

Interesting that Laura Woods is about to do the France game, with all the A-list pundits.  While Pougatch has been on duty today with Lescott and Aluko.

Just now, Lucas said:

Worst presenter I've seen in all my time watching football broadcasts, I think. 

ITV football as a whole is on a Gizzy level shambles footing

2 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Use it for all fouls that look like dives imo

Inject snickometer juice into their veins to monitor contact. Contact under x decibels does not constitute a foul.

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Looking back at the handball, I don't have a problem with it because of the positioning of the arm, but at the same time my problem with handball calls is so often you're left wondering whether people should have arms at all. 

That's my problem with VAR in general. We can keep adding more technical aids for more and more precision, but that doesn't really improve the game. We're already at the point where the naked eye can't make out if something is offside, and I'm not sure why that's necessary. 

11 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

With any luck they are quietly sidelining him.

Interesting that Laura Woods is about to do the France game, with all the A-list pundits.  While Pougatch has been on duty today with Lescott and Aluko.

Yep, noticed that as well. Be interesting to see if its rotational or not going forwards

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

On that note - what the **** is this England VT? And why are we showing this in France vs Austria?

Because the casuals want England I'm guessing. The BBC is often quite bad for this too, I much prefer the style of 5 Live during tournaments where they focus on the teams involved and get knowledgeable people on.

1 minute ago, The_jagster said:

Because the casuals want England I'm guessing. The BBC is often quite bad for this too, I much prefer the style of 5 Live during tournaments where they focus on the teams involved and get knowledgeable people on.

They've already done it earlier today though. So it feels like their coverage isnt joined up. Personally i dont think its good TV making. You've got two interesting teams in France and Austria, both camps filled with interesting managers or players. Should be doing pieces in their camps. 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

They've already done it earlier today though. So it feels like their coverage isnt joined up. Personally i dont think its good TV making. You've got two interesting teams in France and Austria, both camps filled with interesting managers or players. Should be doing pieces in their camps. 

The angle would likely be all about their superstar player if they have one, and English based stars. I'm not convinced even if they approached it differently it would be much better. 

I'd much prefer profiles on the squads they've selected though - who are they, what kinds of players are they. 

What kind of systems have the teams been playing in the run up, etc? 

22 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

That's my problem with VAR in general. We can keep adding more technical aids for more and more precision, but that doesn't really improve the game. We're already at the point where the naked eye can't make out if something is offside, and I'm not sure why that's necessary. 

My position on VAR is that slow motion stuff should be outlawed. Should be at natural pace the ref might have saw it with his own eyes. If it meets the level needed to make a change in call then so be it.

I didn't like Slovakian players exaggerating the effects of fouls suffered. Happened a lot in the second half. But they defended tenaciously. Kucka and Pekarik should be retired when looking at age alone, yet played well, Kucka in particular broke up Belgian attacks like possessed. A certain legend of Real Madrid and a DMF playing in Saudi Arabia should feel ashamed two relative "no-marks" showed more fight than them.

Belgium just looked like a side with a few good players and a few mediocre ones. For a relatively small country they do seem to find a number of very good players, but the Golden Generation is done and dusted. De Bruyne seemed on the periphery to me. Doku is fine but always seems to make one decision too many. Lukaku is just a big old goal-hanger now.

27 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Belgium just looked like a side with a few good players and a few mediocre ones. For a relatively small country they do seem to find a number of very good players, but the Golden Generation is done and dusted. De Bruyne seemed on the periphery to me. Doku is fine but always seems to make one decision too many. Lukaku is just a big old goal-hanger now.

The problem I saw with Belgium today was De Bruyne started to get frustrated and he's not great when that happens. He spent a lot of time complaining at his team mates and trying to force the play but it didn't come off. Lukaku is very immobile. Openda did more (good and bad) in his cameo than Doku did all game. 

Overall, too many individuals in the Belgium side right now I think.