Game 14: Germany vs Hungary live from the Stuttgart Arena. BBC1 5pm

What will be the result?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result

• German win
    • Draw
    • Hungary win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/06/24 at 15:59

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, JJ72 said:

Shaky? He nearly hit the post. Had to move backwards else he'd be unconscious 

If you can touch it you can grab it. (OK, that's another sport but still). Or at least bend it past the post. OK, maybe I'm being too critical. 

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Good recovery from Hungary, they're back in the game.

Germany not looking that impressive.

Yes. I think Scotland made them look much better than they are. This is more the Germany I'm used to. Mittelstätt is a bit of a liability, and better teams should be able to exploit that.

Would not have been surprised at all if that clear shoulder-barge into the defender's back had caused that goal to be ruled out. Does it count as shoulder to shoulder if you just knock them over from behind? Pretty dubious. If that happens in the course of a defender shepherding it out of play or an attacker wasting time keeping it in the corner, I feel like that is almost always a free kick, even if they obviously go down deliberately easily, which the defender in this case didn't. I'd feel pretty hard done by if I were them. "There was contact..." said the co-commentator. No sh*t

Also looked like a handball at the other end, but no replay yet... Certainly a pen by the standards of today's plague of crappy, soft VAR handball penalties. Hands were most certainly not down by sides

Edited by ceefax the cat

3 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

Would not have been surprised at all if that clear shoulderbarge into the defender's back had caused that goal to be ruled out. Does it count as shoulder to shoulder if you just knock them over from behind? Pretty dubious. If that happens in the course of a defender shepherding it out of play or an attacker wasting time keeping it in the corner, I feel like that is almost always a free kick

Also looked like a handball at the other end, but no replay yet... Certainly a pen by the standards of today's plague of crappy, soft VAR handball penalties. Hands were most certainly not down by sides

It's the defender who runs across Gundogan with more speed/force though, all Gundogan does is brace for the impact really.

1 minute ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

If Musiala goes down there it's a penalty

And probably a red card in the PL too, the way they've been judging that sort of accidental contact above the ankle.

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Someone needs to stop Kroos retiring. 

Looks like he could still dictate play for another 5 years.

Better to retire a few years too early than embarrass yourself like Modrić.

I could shut down my work laptop and move myself into the living room and onto the sofa to watch this in comfort, but then my wife would know what i'm doing and be grumpy that I am neither helping her in the garden nor prepping something to eat.

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

He only does that by demanding to start for Croatia tbf. If he did a Modric for Madrid and played as an impact sub he could go on for a while yet.

All-time great players shouldn't reduce themselves to the role of 15-20 minutes impact sub, imo.

Unless it's something for their enjoyment like going back to their childhood club.

Modrić is getting those minutes at real only because of his legacy.

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

All-time great players shouldn't reduce themselves to the role of 15-20 minutes impact sub, imo.

Unless it's something for their enjoyment like going back to their childhood club.

Modrić is getting those minutes at real only because of his legacy.

I can see your point about first and second part, but Modric looked good in his limited minutes at Madrid I think.

Edited by EnterUsernameHere

19 minutes ago, m_fenton said:

It's the defender who runs across Gundogan with more speed/force though, all Gundogan does is brace for the impact really.

yeah, last replay I saw it looked more like that. Orban steaming in and bouncing off Gundogan. Could do with seeing it one more time though

14 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I can see your point about first and second part, but Modric looked good in his limited minutes at Madrid I think.

Don't think he can opt to be an impact player for a country with limited squad depth when he's arguably their GOAT player  (even if the rest of the midfield is one of Croatia's stronger areas). It's retire or be the team leader 

(Also Modric has better support around him at Madrid I guess)

Whereas if Kroos was still kicking around in 4 years time Germany could quite happily bench him or even decide not to call him up if they didn't think he offered as much as he used to

6 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Don't think he can opt to be an impact player for a country with limited squad depth when he's arguably their GOAT player  (even if the rest of the midfield is one of Croatia's stronger areas). It's retire or be the team leader 

Whereas if Kroos was still kicking around in 4 years time Germany could quite happily bench him or even decide not to call him up if they didn't think he offered as much as he used to

He could most definitely accept a weaker role because right now Pašalić and Sučić are better players than him and Brozović.

Or he could at least allow the coach to sub him out so he doesn't walk around the pitch in the final minutes and offers nothing in transition.

Portugal has the same issue with Cristiano, despite their stacked squad.

Just because a player is less known, it doesn't mean he can't be better than almost 40 year old legend that's beyond washed.

Even Neuer is somewhat of an issue, MATS is one of the best goalkeepers in the world, at his peak and can't ever get a chance while Neuer is obviously falling off rapidly.

Edited by GunmaN1905

7 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Yeah, I'm not criticising Modric's decision. Just think it's a shame when he's still this good that Kroos is retiring.

Germany been most impressive for me so far this tournament in their ball control around the box, moving it, probing and creating openings against sides that have packed men back.

Not sold on their transitions and defensive play, but if Rudiger is on it for that one game, it can be mitigated.

BBC still saying they might not be through if there are “incredibly unlikely” results elsewhere. Incorrect. They are through if they win. At worst they will be a best third place team.