Games 33 & 34: Ukraine vs Belgium live from the Stuttgart Arena BBC1 5pm AND Slovakia vs Romania live from the Frankfurt Arena BBC2 5pm

Coulthard's Jaw

What will be the result?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result

2. 2. What will be the result

• Slovakia win
    • Draw
    • Romania win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/06/24 at 15:59

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Coulthard's Jaw said:

What is Lineker on about :D how is the system flawed :D teams going through with different points a fundamental part of group stages since forever, no matter how many teams there are :D 

People lose their minds so much because of the Ukraine/Russia war,

Just now, Haguey said:

What a group :D

PERMUTATIONS AND LAST 16 FIXTURES ROB

Belgium v France is a go.

Apart from that, we still don't know how any of the group winners and third place teams are going to get matched up.  Not until after the final group plays out.

these final group matches have been drawfests

Switzerland 1 Germany 1

Croatia 1 Italy 1

Denmark 0 Serbia 0

England 0 Slovenia 0

France 1 Poland 1

Slovakia 1 Romania 1

Ukraine 0 Belgium 0

Only 3 matches not:

Netherlands 2 Austria 3

Spain 1 Albania 0

Scotland 0 Hungary 1

70% of these final group matches draws. 30% not.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, "I suspect they will need to look at the format" :D

The 16-team and 32-team format literally has the same scenario where groups can finish 9-3-3-3 and 4-4-4-4, and teams with four points can go out and teams with three points can go through.

Just now, Lermon said:

Switzerland 1 Germany 1

Croatia 1 Italy 1

Denmark 0 Serbia 0

England 0 Slovenia 0

France 1 Poland 1

Slovakia 1 Romania 1

Ukraine 0 Belgium 0

Only 3 matches not:

Netherlands 2 Austria 3

Spain 1 Albania 0

Scotland 0 Hungary 1

The 3 that weren't were so dramatic though it makes up for it imo

Can't imagine Turkey's match tonight will be calm either :D

Just now, Rob1981 said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, "I suspect they will need to look at the format" :D

The 16-team and 32-team format literally has the same scenario where groups can finish 9-3-3-3 and 4-4-4-4, and teams with four points can go out and teams with three points can go through.

Or even 9-2-2-2 if one team wins all three of their matches and the other three teams draw with each other.

But yeah, of course the system's flawed, Gary.

1 minute ago, Lermon said:

Switzerland 1 Germany 1

Croatia 1 Italy 1

Denmark 0 Serbia 0

England 0 Slovenia 0

France 1 Poland 1

Slovakia 1 Romania 1

Ukraine 0 Belgium 0

Only 3 matches not:

Netherlands 2 Austria 3

Spain 1 Albania 0

Scotland 0 Hungary 1

The only exciting match was Netherlands vs Austria. The rest were all snooze fests, and not just for their lack of scoring.

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

If France or other favourite went out with 4 it'd be "lol that's the way it goes" so no idea why they're acting like this some great injustice. It's unfortunate but they finished bottom, it is what it is.

If Ukraine really cared about their fans and going through, they simply shouldn't have lost 3-0 to Romania imo

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Two draws, just as we expected.

Congrats to @Marius_R and @Muttley84, massive result.

We didnt expect it either. Nobody believed we can qualify, let alone top the group. Might sneak another in if we get paired with Slovenia, a bit harder with Netherlands... 

What I like the most is the fans in the stadium, havent watched all games but believe we have one of the best fans support in the competition (in chants, numbers and color).

5 minutes ago, Haguey said:

We deserve much better pundits and comms in this country. Or maybe this is what the masses actually want?

Well when people choose what podcast to download, it's the Lineker one and not the actually decent ones.

We have twice as much of the **** third matches in the World Cup, oh great

Just now, The_jagster said:

And you think he was good I take it? :D

He ran past players, it's what Shearer and the BBC/ITV lot are screaming at England to do. Gordon came on and did 1 run and England were somehow better in those 5 minutes 

Whereas KDB barely moved 2nd half and they're saying how amazing he was, it's the complete opposite 

5 minutes ago, Muttley84 said:

We didnt expect it either. Nobody believed we can qualify, let alone top the group. Might sneak another in if we get paired with Slovenia, a bit harder with Netherlands... 

What I like the most is the fans in the stadium, havent watched all games but believe we have one of the best fans support in the competition (in chants, numbers and color).

This. I predicted us to finish bottom, with 1 point. Been some brilliant 2 weeks though, in my life, I only caught us do well in 1998 and 2000, so after so many years, it's fantastic to finally have something to celebrate about our national team again. 

1 minute ago, Marius_R said:

This. I predicted us to finish bottom, with 1 point. Been some brilliant 2 weeks though, in my life, I only caught us do well in 1998 and 2000, so after so many years, it's fantastic to finally have something to celebrate about our national team again. 

Why the pessimism? I expected Romania to be the second-strongest team in that group based on their qualifying performance.

4 minutes ago, Marius_R said:

I only caught us do well in 1998 and 2000

I am so lucky I caught the 1994 one (arguably our best one). I was just 10 but man it was magic.

Not the same engagement emotionally from me at this one, but still nice tournament. Cheers!

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the current format either. I could imagine an experiment with four groups of six teams, with only the top two advancing straight to the quarterfinals. There would be more games for TV, two more guaranteed matches for each team, and only one extra match until the final. It would result in a whole bunch of meaningless matches in the last group round, though, so it would probably not be popular with the neutrals, but fans might appreciate seeing their team more often. Most importantly, big teams wouldn't stumble through to the next round with one win and a bunch of draws. You'd actually have to play for wins in order to make it. 

4 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Why the pessimism? I expected Romania to be the second-strongest team in that group based on their qualifying performance.

Because I have seen all our qualifying games. :D

I had far greater expectations for Euro 2016 than for this. 

2 minutes ago, Muttley84 said:

I am so lucky I caught the 1994 one (arguably our best one). I was just 10 but man it was magic.

Not the same engagement emotionally from me at this one, but still nice tournament. Cheers!

Same for me, I was 9 in 1998, so I obviously put a lot more emotion into it, I was so sad when we lost to Croatia. 

29 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the current format either. I could imagine an experiment with four groups of six teams, with only the top two advancing straight to the quarterfinals. There would be more games for TV, two more guaranteed matches for each team, and only one extra match until the final. It would result in a whole bunch of meaningless matches in the last group round, though, so it would probably not be popular with the neutrals, but fans might appreciate seeing their team more often. Most importantly, big teams wouldn't stumble through to the next round with one win and a bunch of draws. You'd actually have to play for wins in order to make it. 

Was thinking similar to your idea, but the top 4 from each group go through to the last 16.

That way there would be far more resting on the last few games than just the top 2 going through.