FM 25 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

Sounds like FM25 will be a rough launch, hopefully this isn't just another Cyberpunk doing a token delay when there are major problems.

International Management I don't care too much about. I used to enjoy it when you could fly through a CM03/04 save in a week but in modern FM it isn't hugely compelling. It needs a major rethink.

I don't think I ever paid attention to the weight of the player and I don't even know how it effects the game/match engine, so I'm not that bothered about not seeing the value on the player profile.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love people on twitter are whining about international management being removed when everyone screams it's awful and needs revamping. But then they also complain about the addition of women's football saying it's replacing international management :D

I'm disappointed but not surprised about the development delay. I'm a supporter of womans football and trying to help them in the real world of football. SI have made it there main priority to integrate womans football in the ecosystem when womans football is still at a very low level. If people were honest I doubt managing in the female league would be there main focus and I'm hopeful SI will release the playing figures percentage wise every year for transparency to judge this fact. One day womans football will be globally relevant. Today is not that day. Keep supporting it behind the scenes etc but not at the expense of what is relevant now.

Also it's not a drama for me they removed international managment for FM 25..

It needed a serios rework so it's better if they take it off for a season or two...

I wouldnt say that what they removed so far makes FM25 a half game..

I dont think that Touchline shouts, international management or show the weight in the players profile was half of Football manager :D

1 minute ago, davehanson said:

But you must see revamping and removing are two completely seperate points?

Does it need to be revamped - yes. But would I rather have had it in FM25 even in its current state - again yes

Unless I misread things, Miles said they are low on time, and thus they didn't want to port a poorly implemented feature into the new engine and rather spend time on getting the rest of hte game correct, and then readd it in a later version. Would you rather they spent time getting the same in FM25 and having other features missing or not done right? I fail to see how this is a bad thing, unless you are a die hard international manager?

This just has the feelings of launch, and FM25 being a bit of a disaster and a mess. I hope im wrong but nothing stated or shown so far leads me to see it in any other light, especially with the track record of recent years. Strong links back to CM4.

Edited by harrycarrie

Everything that has been removed so far (only things confirmed by SI):
Touchline Shouts
Social Media
Create a Club
Versus Mode
Challenge Mode (only touch, mobile and console)
Fantasy Draft (coming mid-cycle)
International management

weight shown in profile

1 minute ago, XaW said:

Unless I misread things, Miles said they are low on time, and thus they didn't want to port a poorly implemented feature into the new engine and rather spend time on getting the rest of hte game correct, and then readd it in a later version. Would you rather they spent time getting the same in FM25 and having other features missing or not done right? I fail to see how this is a bad thing, unless you are a die hard international manager?

I said what I did in the post above, but for the record yes I usually started off as an international manager before moving to a club role. So for me this is quite a big feature of the game removed.

And I can’t see why - maybe someone can explain in easy to understand terms - why the international side could just not have stayed the same as it is now? It wasn’t great I accept that, but yes, I would much rather have had it in as it was in FM 24/23/22/21/20 etc than not in at all

Just now, KrvakForLife said:

Everything that has been removed so far (only things confirmed by SI):
Touchline Shouts
Social Media
Create a Club
Versus Mode
Challenge Mode (only touch, mobile and console)
Fantasy Draft (coming mid-cycle)
International management

weight shown in profile

Nothing that is part of the core gameplay so far.. To me some of those were unnecessary bloat like social media or touchline shouts ( never used them )

Just now, davehanson said:

I said what I did in the post above, but for the record yes I usually started off as an international manager before moving to a club role. So for me this is quite a big feature of the game removed.

And I can’t see why - maybe someone can explain in easy to understand terms - why the international side could just not have stayed the same as it is now? It wasn’t great I accept that, but yes, I would much rather have had it in as it was in FM 24/23/22/21/20 etc than not in at all

Because of the switch to unity, I imagine. So they would have spent apparently a significant amount of time to port (make sure the old code used is compatible with Unity) it over, and instead of doing that, they can just remove it and spend the same time getting the rest of game ported over and hopefully improved too.

I don't mind international management being removed for now, as it properly needs revamping anyway, so long as the country screens are still available to view and players get called up etc

Sounds like FM25 might worth a skip until FM26 though, when hopefully most of the teething issues are resolved by.

Initial Thoughts on that dev blog are:

• It's clear that development is behind so we will likely experience bugs.
  • I doubt the women's game will have more of a game mode share than all removed features altogether, and therefore should have been the mode pushed back.
  • I suspect that this delay will mean an even later release each year from now on which is crazy really in comparison to other sports games.
  • Removing weight is a bad decision and makes it harder to profile a player at a glance.

This has not been a good look so far. I'm keeping my mind open until I see more but I can see this being a disaster for various reasons.

1 minute ago, andu1 said:

Nothing that is part of the core gameplay so far.. To me some of those were unnecessary bloat like social media or touchline shouts ( never used them )

Most of those are fluff to me, and I've seen a gazillion posts in here asking SI to remove fluff, so guess a large portion of people will get their wish (thought I think I see some of the same names now complaining about them being removed....?)

hace 3 minutos, XaW dijo:

I don't think we are able to answer that after the game were delivered. If it fulfills the expectations they have already raised, then it might be understandable. If not, the answer is obvious.

Just now, we88y said:

Removing weight is a bad decision and makes it harder to profile a player at a glance.

Honest question; What impact do you think weight actually have in the game? Other than as a number on the profile?

5 minutes ago, davehanson said:

maybe someone can explain in easy to understand terms - why the international side could just not have stayed the same as it is now? It wasn’t great I accept that, but yes, I would much rather have had it in as it was in FM 24/23/22/21/20 etc than not in at all

At a guess, they've been spending time on it, changed it up and now dont have time to finish it and have gone to a point where it cant be "left as it was". Could be wrong but that would seem to be the reason why they can leave it as it was. 

30 minutes ago, XaW said:

This is in the game already....Here is a gif from FM23...

The gif doesn't work but the comments underneath suggest it was for a handball, which is not what I am asking

Edit;- Got it to open - yeh that's for handball, they can't foul people.

Edited by jcw163

Just now, jcw163 said:

The gif doesn't work but the comments underneath suggest it was for a handball, which is not what I am asking

Then you need to be specific, it was a foul and a red card. The gif works, but it's big, so you have to wait a bit...

I'm still going to buy the game because Leicester are back in the premier league and I'm a loyal customer, I will be honest, I am disappointed as I've enjoyed International Management a lot previously. I think it will be worth it provided a much-improved version of International Management is ready for FM26. As much as I enjoyed it, it's a shadow of the experience of managing a club in a FM game.

I'm interested/excited to watch the new in-match graphics in 3 weeks time. 

3 minutes ago, XaW said:

Honest question; What impact do you think weight actually have in the game? Other than as a number on the profile?

I believe it takes a good part.
I will expand the explanation:

The weight is the mass a player needs to "transport" when moving/running...I do believe that, if physics in the game is expressed properly, between two players with same acceleration and pace the one who weights less will be fastest.
Same thing for the height.

Unless physical attributes are completely disconnected by the body characteristics of each player...   

hace 2 minutos, davehanson dijo:

Secondly - and I strongly supported this last year - we were effectively told last year we were getting a more polished version of FM23 for FM24. No real features added (I think the ability to transfer a saved game file from FM23 to FM24 was the only one)

Set pieces editor was a quite good addition.

Edited by Micho21

5 minutes ago, XaW said:

My question is, can we infer from this that it actually has zero bearing on anything in the match engine? If so, great don't tell us, I don't care. But if it does have an impact and were tied into the strength attribute somehow for instance, then removing it is just another thing to add to the list of stuff that goes on under-the-hood that we have no knowledge of, which collectively add to the frustration due to the deliberate obfuscation of information for no good reason.  

2 minutes ago, XaW said:

Then you need to be specific, it was a foul and a red card. The gif works, but it's big, so you have to wait a bit...

My original comment said:- "still no talk about whether or not keepers will be allowed to commit a foul for the first time since like 2012" so i suggest you read a bit more carefully going forward friend. Pleased to see the mods on here are as polite as ever

Edited by jcw163

6 minutes ago, davehanson said:

Like XaW said, they have to rewrite the source code of the game for Unity, therefor they either had to rewrite it and push the delay further, or remove it to completely revamp it and hopefully comes back in FM26 fancy. 
But to justify the data of only 5.6% playing it, is something that bugs me, like you said it has been neglected for years, and if they revamped it sooner, more people would have played it. 

33 minutes ago, XaW said:

This is in the game already....Here is a gif from FM23...

Hmm, not sure if a handball counts as a foul. I think the op was talking about keepers making fouls on the opposition players which is quite common source of penalties in real life. 

Just now, ForTheLoveOfTheGame said:

It’s important for immersion. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if height is removed next year now…

Fair enough. Though height actually have an impact on the match, as a taller player wouldn't need to jump to reach a ball for instance, so I see no need for that to be removed. But I guess this was just hyperbole to make a point...

Just now, davehanson said:

So, 2 things - the first I can't answer. How much time would it take to make international management playable? There are no real 'added' features in and around it - that's the point people have been making for years anyway. You might know more than me, I now nothing about game coding etc - freely happy to admit it, but this doesn't seem like something that should take a long time.

Secondly - and I strongly supported this last year - we were effectively told last year we were getting a more polished version of FM23 for FM24. No real features added (I think the ability to transfer a saved game file from FM23 to FM24 was the only one) as the team were fully concentrating on making FM25 the best it can be. Now we are being told that there is not the time to do that. We have 'put up' with by and large the same game for 2 years - and SI have said FM24 was their best selling game ever - and now we are being told there just isn't the time to even keep features that we in the last 20 years worth of FM. Do you not see how shockingly bad that looks?

I don't know how much time, I have no background knowledge other than working in software development myself and knowing the game. Moving code from framework to framework can be a quick job or a horrible mess, everything depending on what you move between and how your code is written. It appears to me that it would be a massive job, so it seems the return on the investment is not worth it for SI.

I agree, I think SI should spend much more time fixing features than adding new ones, so no complaints on the other point.

2 minutes ago, Micho21 said:

In any case, it would be appreciated if they publish a development update on adding new features rather than another one about removing the old ones. Just for keeping a bit of optimism alive :D

The worry is that a "big" feature for this is the Premier League license that lets be honest people fix before they even open the game. So the only thing, so far, to look forward to is a new game engine and look. The game will sell because its the only option if you want to play this type of game but if that is the only feature they are willing to talk about they need new people with new ideas in high positions at SI.

35 minutes ago, XaW said:

Quick recap:

- Release date is late November
- FM25 will remove international management (to be brought back in FM26)
- Weight will be removed from player profiles
- Those FMFC members who have offered to come to SI Towers and test the game will be contacted shortly, but the times will be a bit later than previously thought.

More info will come late September, that will include more details about the game.

As one of the 5.6% of people who played international management my disappointment knows no bounds and my day is ruined!

On a more serious note to be fair international management is so hilariously under baked it may as well not exist.

As for the weight being removed I don't particularly care, I just assumed it was just a cosmetic stat anyway.

The delay is fair enough I'd rather wait for a playable game than a bug riddled one.

It is however another negative and disappointing update for FM25, a delay and more things being removed.

So let's hope the gameplay reveal in September is a good one, because I'd be lying if I said I wasn't more than slightly worried for FM25 at this point.

I've owned every version of CM/FM so I hope this isn't the first one to break my 32 year streak!

It's as unthinkable to me as supporting the massives!

Just now, XaW said:

Nothing in terms of gameplay. Personally, it helps me visualise the type of player, especially with regens where there is no real life knowledge.

Height enables me to know if the players are short or tall at a glance and weight allows me to understand the physicality of the player. Without the weight information, I would need to judge between height, jumping reach and strength to get an overall feeling of their physical presence. For example, if I told you about a tall forward with great strength and incredible jumping reach attributes you wouldn't necessarily think of a player with Cristiano Ronaldo's physique but more likely more of a target forward type player whereas seeing their weight gives me additional clues to the overall picture.

Personally the only 3 things I really care about are the ME, the AI and scouting. The graphics have never been what FM is about.

Is pressing with an unsuitable team still going to be OP?

Is off the ball movement going to impacted more by attributes like stamina, work rate, off the ball etc?

Are DoF's and other staff still going to have strange decision making?

Will managers with non-meta styles like Pep work better?

etc etc

Edited by whatsupdoc

5 minutes ago, Costav said:

The weight is the mass a player needs to "transport" when moving/running...I do believe that, if physics in the game is expressed properly, between two players with same acceleration and pace the one who weights less will be fastest.

I'd argue that Agility (how quickly a player can change direction) and Balance, which is used in quite a few areas, covers that.