FM 25 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

There's a lot of doom and gloom. I will probably skip FM 25 but believe SI will eventually get this right. So I am not worried on that front. 

What is worrying me is there is an entire roadmap section devoted to 'your manager'. I can't think what about this feature deserves an entire chapter. My fear is they will introduce something akin to fortnite skins to make your managers look better. 

If anything like this happens then for me this will be the end of an era.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, SPE3D said:

There's a lot of doom and gloom. I will probably skip FM 25 but believe SI will eventually get this right. So I am not worried on that front. 

What is worrying me is there is an entire roadmap section devoted to 'your manager'. I can't think what about this feature deserves an entire chapter. My fear is they will introduce something akin to fortnite skins to make your managers look better. 

If anything like this happens then for me this will be the end of an era.

They did that before with manager timeline i believe

10 minutes ago, SPE3D said:

I'll keep banging this drum, as a minimum I expect a 'Big Mal' fur coat.

I know it's very disappointing that not as much was revealed as any of us would have liked but I think it's too early to write it off as a failure. We know too little to say either way which is part of the problem. No one is forcing you to preorder the title. I have as I had already saved the money up to do so, and if I'm honest with myself I know I'm going to want to play it as soon as it's released to see for myself. If some of the things SI are promising in the very brief released text regarding tactical and match day-graphics upgrades turn out to be real improvements I can see some of you guys who claim its the worst thing to ever happen in the history of the series, either pre-ordering the game or buying it after release. If I'm honest today's launch has been underwhelming especially the trailer and the sloppiness in the screenshot heights and positions but there's enough to mean I'm still quite hopeful and excited that FM25 will be worth playing in November. 

Sat having breakfast, opened the socials.......read the announcement. 

Went full Mourinho........

Watching streamer reactions is not helping me. 

There's a lot I could say but I won't.

What I will say to Miles is please stop using X to discuss this game I care so much about. No company (or individual representing one) with an ounce of social awareness should be associating itself with the dumpster fire of a platform. 

Moving set pieces into it's own grouped space on this screen is a good move though IMO, but I'm struggling to understand the colour scheme they've got set, they've got Flair 9 (green), Agility 9 (yellow) and 14 on Penalties is grey, but yellow on long shots, for example. Presumably it's a bad Photoshop or a bug as it looks okay on Fran Kirby :D 

image.thumb.png.258b5a7a5c4467876192cda04fa2ef03.png

As every year so far, I'm going to buy newest FM. It's either going to be best ever, or worst ever in my opinion. And the impressions now are not really good. However, trying to be optimistic and give SI benefit of the doubt since we don't have much information (which is concerning at this stage). Also, youtube likes vs dislikes is hilarious.

Spoiler

bLd8sRH.png

I really hope that someone else didn't notice this right away. :rolleyes: That it's not a volleyball, or a weird brain symbol, or a walnut. That it's crumpled letters FM. Like a ball, a concept, all that stuff.

I was so shocked by the interface that I just didn't pay enough attention, I guess. Now I see F3 in graffiti style. No longer walnut, but not yet FM :D 

Подсветка логотипа FM

Edited by Novem9

2 minutes ago, LucasBR said:

Do we have something related to minimum and recommended settings already?

35 minutes ago, PatrickReynolds said:

Found these on Steam:

• Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Desktop: Intel Core i3-530 or AMD FX-4100 Laptop: Intel Core i3-330M or AMD A6-5200
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Desktop: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 or AMD Radeon R9 380 or Intel HD 530 Laptop: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M or AMD Radeon R9 M375 or Intel HD 530 512MiB VRAM
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 20 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: These spcs allow for the game to be played in 1080p with graphics settings at "Low". 64-bit processor and operation system are required.
  • Recommended:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Desktop: Intel Core i5-9600 or AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Laptop: Intel Core i5-1035G7 or AMD Ryzen 7 3750H
    • Memory: 12 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Desktop: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 or AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Laptop: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Mobile or AMD Radeon RX 6600M 1GiB VRAM
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 20 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: These spcs allow for the game to be played in 1080p with graphics settings at "High". 64-bit processor and operation system are required.

14 minutes ago, janrzm said:

What I will say to Miles is please stop using X to discuss this game I care so much about. No company (or individual representing one) with an ounce of social awareness should be associating itself with the dumpster fire of a platform. 

Unlike most i actually like the screenshots, but i totally agree with your comment. I find it incredibly unprofessional for Miles to post specific information about the game/roadmap on X. Why not have all the information coming from the official channels?

Just now, Novem9 said:

I really hope that someone else didn't notice this right away. :rolleyes: That it's not a volleyball, or a weird brain symbol, or a walnut. That it's crumpled letters FM. Like a ball, a concept, all that stuff.

I was so shocked by the interface that I just didn't pay enough attention, I guess. Now I see F3 in graffiti style. Not a nuts already, but still not FM :D 

Подсветка логотипа FM

I see two hands rubbing. Probably Sega's shareholders.

With this influx of star power, FM25 has more playable leagues and nations than ever – football gaming’s biggest player database has been propelled to new heights.

From Steam. Here, I primarily expect continued expansion into the Asian market (Saudi Arabia, UAE), but maybe SI will surprise us, though I’m not sure how likely that is.

2 minutes ago, LingLing said:

Thanks, just saw it on the previous page

Man, I guess my time playing FM is coming to an end, pretty much we'll need a pc gamer to play it. 

1 hour ago, filip_croatia said:

How women's football can be bigger news than new match engine !? Are they that afraid of "international woke brigade" ?? :(

What’s the “international woke brigade”? Are they against new match engines?

5 minutes ago, Robbie Hood said:

Unlike most i actually like the screenshots, but i totally agree with your comment. I find it incredibly unprofessional for Miles to post specific information about the game/roadmap on X. Why not have all the information coming from the official channels?

And above all, Miles is keen to state that his twitter account is his personal account. I don't think it's right for him and the studio to be releasing information about the game/roadmap on such a channel. It should be one or the other - official account or personal account.

2 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

And above all, Miles is keen to state that his twitter account is his personal account. I don't think it's right for him and the studio to be releasing information about the game/roadmap on such a channel. It should be one or the other - official account or personal account.

It should be coming from the official account. I don`t have Twitter/X so if Miles posts any additional info there i have to wait for someone on this forum to copy/paste it. Of course he can post about the game as much as he wants, but it should never be info that is not also easily available from the official channels.

11 минут назад, autohoratio сказал:

And above all, Miles is keen to state that his twitter account is his personal account. I don't think it's right for him and the studio to be releasing information about the game/roadmap on such a channel. It should be one or the other - official account or personal account.

I think FM has been stagnant for a few years now. That's why I felt SI needed a fresh vision. Current methods are not up to date (which doesn't stop from bragging about record sales on half-personal Twitter). The events that began with the announcement of the FM24 version and that continued this year dispelled all doubts for me. It will be great if SI transforms sooner than later

Edited by Novem9

Customisation will be key on the UI. If we can choose what we see where, lock things in place and perhaps even resize a few things (even select things to a limited number of options) in an intuitive way without relying on skins then that would be a big step in the right direction. With the UI being overhauled and tiling introduced it would be a good time to do this… but I’m not holding my breath.

If it’s static and somewhat locked then that will be a massive F.

20 minutes ago, jmlima said:

Has there been any confirmation 2d will be available?

no 2d would be a real game changer for me....

I can accept everything so far  and its first year since fm 07 im not going to pre-order....but that would make not buy the game.

5 hours ago, ForTheLoveOfTheGame said:

I know custom skins will save this, but is this really optimal for a squad screen? How many extra clicks do we now need to make to reach a certain players profile for example? It’s always been on one screen before. 

or have i missed something? Are we hiding information to make the game look easier for casual players? It’s such a shame.

IMG_0730.jpeg

I'd love to know the thinking behind ''Lets whack a widget for squad numbers on there so they know how many they have assigned, that's incredibly important information people want on their squad page''.

It just seems a very odd thing to want to place there. So really hoping these ''tiles'' are customisable to fit the user.

Edited by Domoboy23

3 hours ago, davehanson said:

Just been watching a youtube post, and the creator comes up with a really good point, maybe someone here can answer.

Obviously the roadmap has Introducing Women's Football as the first topic. Fine, okay. 

But, the new UI interface as the second. 

So, how are they going to show us Women's football next week without showing us the new UI?

They'll show us the JSON

21 minutes ago, Craigus89 said:

Customisation will be key on the UI. If we can choose what we see where, lock things in place and perhaps even resize a few things (even select things to a limited number of options) in an intuitive way without relying on skins then that would be a big step in the right direction. With the UI being overhauled and tiling introduced it would be a good time to do this… but I’m not holding my breath.

If it’s static and somewhat locked then that will be a massive F.

I've said the same as well. The key to achieving success with the UI is flexibility, flexibility and flexibility. Let people tailor it to their preferences. 

Of all the unknows the thing I fear most is reduced or removed skinning/modding ability. 

Edited by janrzm

This is the first time SI as a studio have developed a substantially new game, rather than a step-upgrade on the previous iteration, since Football Manager 2009, which was sixteen years ago now.

Only a small fraction of the studio will be veterans with experience of that. This is largely a new endeavour for them.

And FM09 itself was... maybe not quite a disaster, but very far from being a highlight of the series. It was literally unplayable for most on its supposed launch day after a ****-up with the compulsory DRM. The shiny new 3D match engine more closely resembled ice hockey than football, and many immediately turned it off and dismissed it as a gimmick. And other parts of the game had been allowed to stagnate in order for this to be developed - to the point where the previous version had also not introduced much and was in many ways a step back from FM07, by far the best title of that era.

In the long-term of course, this was for the best. The 3D gradually improved to the point where it was nearly universally used ahead of the old dots, and allowed for a much more realistic simulation of the game and it's physicality in particular. (This is seemingly the hardest bit to simulate and still the most in need of further improvement). Sales to casual players excited by the change were still good, and allowed development to continue and the series to succeed.

I would assume we're on a similar trajectory here. I think there will be some major improvements in FM25, but some serious steps back and half-baked inclusions too - all of which are likely to be iterated on very successfully over the next couple of years.

I hope I’m wrong but from the screenshots it feels a bit like a pale imitation of the fan-made FIFA Manager mods.

I’ve played since CM2, been part of the research team in the very distant past, and everything feels so disappointing and drab about the chain of information and look of this game.

The pr and marketing for this game also feels so outdated, and convoluted. If you’re refreshing the look of your brand, especially in line with a revolutionary new game engine, you need simplicity and an easy customer journey.

The obfuscated different strands of information being put out on different platforms, or by individuals on personal accounts, should have been the first thing that was tidied up. Even using X as an official/unofficial source of information, considering what the site stands for now, surely that goes completely against the inclusivity and equality that’s being promoted? 

Also, is no one proofing the articles on the Football Manager site? You get a 404 error when you click the FMFC link in the latest news article

Edited by Wag
Typo

Our community must be one of the most self-destructive I have ever seen.

I really don't understand how the game still exists after decades of "disappointments and underachieving".

It is a new ME, and I guess that if it were easy, there would be playable alternatives to the game. And man, I am totally critical of a new game every year, but this year is the leap forward everyone was asking for...

So... this announcement is telling two stories and both of them are failing to convince me to part way with 54 euros.

The first is pretty much underwhelming even for my pretty low expectations. A trailer, that isn't very convincing with no gameplay. Screenshot that I find lacklustre in terms of design, that I'm missing the dreadful purple. The roadmap is all over the place with no concrete dates for said announcements (not even Women's football has a concrete date, just sometime next week, with the release date of the next feature announced with the announcement... The release date... Can we say it is a release date? The "from" word next to the release date doesn't sound very promising. This year is the worst marketing strategy to date...

The second story that is telling is that the production of FM25 is not going well, even at this point. With this announcement, if we get the game this year it is going to be a miracle.

Very undecided, On one hand, I would like to support SI, on another I'm not exactly rich enough to be a charity.

Edited by grade

Won't buy i'm done with Football Manager thank you very much for the tens of thousands of hours enjoyment i've had over the years but I won't be buying any further games.

21 minutes ago, joaocm said:

I really don't understand how the game still exists after decades of "disappointments and underachieving".

It is a new ME, and I guess that if it were easy, there would be playable alternatives to the game. And man, I am totally critical of a new game every year, but this year is the leap forward everyone was asking for...

How do you know it is?

3 hours ago, AI-brahimovic said:

As someone who was part of the research-team a decade ago and loves this game, defended devs many times, and as a marketer I have to say:

The marketing for this game has been among the most disappointing I have seen in several decades of video game history. What we got was a super PC-friendly ad that tells us people of every ethnicity can play the game on their smartphones. Even women, apparently. Politically correct and soulless advertising without an ounce of meaning or any actual valuable information.

The very definition of the word "trailer" implies that it would consist of a series of selected shots from the product being advertised. There was not a single shot of the match engine.

I don't know who on planet earth would watch this video and decide to buy your game, SI. It's mindblowing that we have to assume, this has been somebody's full-time job for the past few months at a company of that size. Mindblowing.

This isn't a coincidence I think. 

They really are trying to appeal to as many people as possible now, and are actually probably looking to go "mainstream", rather than being a somewhat niche game.

4 minutes ago, joaocm said:

It's not a new ME. ME = Match Engine, which is not the same as new game engine that is Unity.

-------------------

I want to like the new UI, or at least what we've seen so far, but I have very mixed feelings.

We get 5 "screenshots" in total, 3 of which are pretty much the same screen?
The first two look great, modern, and then we get the player report screen which looks...bad? Like I can see the potential and the idea, but it just looks not great at the moment.

Anyways, the only thing I'm excited for is to see how the rest of the game looks, the UI showcase, and tactics showcase - which I honestly didn't expect, but I'm really excited for.

We only have women's football roadmap date, which tells me the rest of the stuff is very much not ready yet, and they don't know when it will be ready to showcase. Which absolutely worries me.

We know women's football was coming for years now, so I don't even know what the showcase will be about, and if it is even going to contain in-game screenshots/footage. I personally can't care less about it, but I get why it would be the first thing to talk about, because it's the only thing that is close to being ready probably...

Besides that, I'm sure the match graphics will improve, the overall UX should improve, so we are getting a new game and not just a re-skin, for the first time in a while.

But again, I'm worried about the fact that the game seems nowhere near ready yet.

19 minutes ago, joaocm said:

I'm not sure I agree with that. I think you could make a case to say it has the survival instincts of a shark.....no matter what is thrown at us we just continue to exist. 

17 minutes ago, joaocm said:

But you don't know if this year is the leap forward everyone has been asking for!? It's the switch to the unity engine, not a new match engine. As far as I'm aware, and I may be wrong here, but one of the biggest benefits to unity is it will make it easier for SI to work on future games across multiple platforms. Nothing wrong with that but I shouldn't think that was top of most people's lists of things that needed doing. 

The community isnt self destructive, for the most part it's passionate about FM and just want the best version of it. Not that everyone always goes the best way about voicing this mind you!

In other news, those recommend specs 😂...

29 минут назад, joaocm сказал:

Why? This community welcomes releases with minimal improvements. Completes missing content. Work for free that should actually be done by QA department. Fills databases. Makes league updates, or improves everything it can reach.

This community self-destructive only if love this game too much. Because that wasted time could have been spent on something more... complete.

So this will undoubtely be interpreted as misogynistic by the moderators, but to me its completly bonkers you kick off your long awaited reveals by starting with womens football.

The main selling point of this edition is the unity match engine. (SI words, not mine). and two months before release we still havent seen anything of it...