FM 25 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

1 hour ago, Muja said:

I understand what you mean.
The problem is not that there's nothing out there to judge yet.
It's precisely that there’s STILL nothing to judge just a few months before release.

This is a 'trailer' released alongside the option to pre-order the game... and it shows NOTHING about the game itself.

I'm not sure if that can be considered 'normal.'

It's like asking the consumer to buy blindly.

And there's nothing different about this and the release schedule of other years.

The game normally releases early November.

We normally get details about the game in September.

Other than the fact we're a month behind, nothing has changed.

It's like asking the consumer to buy blindly.

I'm pretty sure other FMs have had preorders up before we knew everything about the game. Many, many other games do, for certain.

No one is forcing you to preorder.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Federico said:

a better marketing policy would benefit the community.

It would not benefit the community at all. The amount of noise would be the same. It would only benefit them and their sales numbers. They know that, but here is the "bargaining friction" - are they playing 4D chess like some of you want to believe? Or is the game lacking in too many aspects, like most of us believe? 

Edited by Bahoi

56 minutes ago, oi_oi_ginger_roy said:

I'm not bothered about the womens game being in FM - to me it's no different to them adding, say, the Japan league... some will like it some won't but we don't have to play with them loaded.

For me it's how basic the game is starting to look - from what we've seen it looks like its tailored more to the console/mobile. I've always hated the base skin and used some superb community made ones for years. Why hasn't SI used one of these skinners and come up with something quite spectacular looking? 

Look at these skins from FM24 compared to the one we're getting in FM25

image.thumb.png.bc435fe1c1c3eb9b4e8f13109cb7f4f0.png

image.thumb.png.2c43b7aa72f0dfe75767fb7ad854215d.png

image.png.f42bf5f48fc4ae9802cb339fc62255ef.png

image.png.709264be479011449dec4b1e51b96800.png

The above is key.

In the FM24 skins how much on each player's profile do you really look at in one scan?

I admit I love the skins, but as long as the information is available then who really needs the fluff.

Agains...it's still... image.png.c78c6c1c000f5a5c008299252238597d.png

56 minuti fa, oi_oi_ginger_roy ha scritto:

I'm not bothered about the womens game being in FM - to me it's no different to them adding, say, the Japan league... some will like it some won't but we don't have to play with them loaded.

For me it's how basic the game is starting to look - from what we've seen it looks like its tailored more to the console/mobile. I've always hated the base skin and used some superb community made ones for years. Why hasn't SI used one of these skinners and come up with something quite spectacular looking? 

Look at these skins from FM24 compared to the one we're getting in FM25

image.thumb.png.bc435fe1c1c3eb9b4e8f13109cb7f4f0.png

image.thumb.png.2c43b7aa72f0dfe75767fb7ad854215d.png

image.png.f42bf5f48fc4ae9802cb339fc62255ef.png

Mmm, yes. But according to my tastes, a skin is not better because is fullfilled with stuff. It's better because is neat and readable. The first two screenshots are not, in my opinion.

Nonetheless the FM25 screenshot looks like a massive waste of space.

Just now, Zoolok42 said:

It's not guessing, it's a reasonable assumption that not showing anything so close to a final date means you have nothing to show me. It applies to all life situations, not just software development. If you think they are withholding information on purpose so they release it all in a flurry of ads and promotions a week before release, fine. That could be the case, but I would not bet on it.

To get back to the 'assumption' part, I am not assuming the game is 'bad' as in badly designed. I am assuming it's not technically finished and especially not polished, but the features are technically 'there'.

But you don't _know_ what the truth is. Perhaps the match engine is great, but they are having some late issues with the UI they are still sorting out so it would look wonky to show it now. Perhaps they are planning on a big reveal of something big and want to keep it under wraps. Or, as you guess, are having deep issues getting something that looks anything decent together. We don't know, and everyone outside SI are guessing, even if the guesses might be correct, or weighted by probability, we still don't know enough to make an informed decision about buying it. So until we get more info, I'd say why not wait it out and decide when you have something tangible?

5 minuti fa, Bahoi ha scritto:

It would not benefit the community at all. The amount of noi se would be the same. It would only benefit them and their sales numbers. They know that, but here is the "bargaining friction" - are they paying 4D chess like some of you want to believe? Or is the game lacking in too many aspects, like most of us believe? 

That's a different point of view I admit I agree with.

Edited by Federico

8 minutes ago, anagain said:

And there's nothing different about this and the release schedule of other years.

The game normally releases early November.

We normally get details about the game in September.

Other than the fact we're a month behind, nothing has changed.

I'm pretty sure other FMs have had preorders up before we knew everything about the game. Many, many other games do, for certain.

The major difference is the move to unity.

The last 10 FMs are all much of a muchness let's be honest. Which is probably why people didn't care about the reveal trailer having no substance.

You knew pretty much what you were getting when you bought FM.

Not so much this year.

1 minute ago, XaW said:

But you don't _know_ what the truth is. Perhaps the match engine is great, but they are having some late issues with the UI they are still sorting out so it would look wonky to show it now. Perhaps they are planning on a big reveal of something big and want to keep it under wraps. Or, as you guess, are having deep issues getting something that looks anything decent together. We don't know, and everyone outside SI are guessing, even if the guesses might be correct, or weighted by probability, we still don't know enough to make an informed decision about buying it. So until we get more info, I'd say why not wait it out and decide when you have something tangible?

Well we are all just discussing, based on what we know and what we see, and our previous life experiences :D It's kinda the point of this thread and the forums. We could be wrong, we could be right, there are no bonus points either way, just a bunch of people giving their 2 cents about what might be happening.

As for actually buying the game, if I do buy them these days, it's only on discounts after several major patches, and that applies to all games, not just FM. So that would be my practical advice to everyone here.

3 minutes ago, XaW said:

But this is still guessing. I've seen a lot of people in here saying they will not buy the game because it will be horrible/bad/insert your own negative word. Now, it might be a bad game, but already deciding it is bad? No one can know anything about that.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone should rush out and buy it, or that they can't decide to not buy it now if they don't want to. Feel free, but deciding to not buy the game because you think it's bad when you don't know anything is what I don't get. People saying, "I think this will be bad and if it is, then I won't buy it" is a perfectly reasonable take, and I would encourage anyone to only buy stuff they actually want and/or need. I just think we know nearly enough to make that decision at the moment. For all we know, this could be a, in my view terrible, way of doing the marketing by holding back info until closer to release. Now I don't know why they would do so, but there is a lot of marketing decisions around the world that baffles me too, so who knows...

I realise you are playing devil's advocate for the most part, and I appreciate your point about the marketing, but trying to inject any common sense or rationality at this point is going to be swept away in a community sized tsumani of disinterest.

Most people are sitting back with the popcorn at the ready waiting for the inevitable train wreck. The voices of reason, patience and moderation have no chance in this maelstrom of failed expectation.

5 minutes ago, Federico said:

Mmm, yes. But according to my tastes, a skin is not better because is fullfilled with stuff. It's better because is neat and readable. The first two screenshots are not, in my opinion.

Nonetheless the FM25 screenshot looks like a massive waste of space.

Fair point but even then the new screenshots are very basic in information... i'd like to have as much available to me on one screen as possible - instead we're given tiny little boxes under the attributes 

1 hour ago, spursfan said:

Of all the things that have been released/commented/inferred/speculated, objectively given that things are what they are (Works in Progress) I wouldn't assume that attributes would not be amended ;) 

Don't challenge SI on this.....

16 minutes ago, anagain said:

New graphics engine. The graphics engine and the match engine are two entirely seperate things. The matche engine has gotten better and better. I was never entirely unhappy with the graphics, but was never against change.

And I merely meant that this is what they've told us they're working on.

Welcome to following a game...

Why get upset that you haven't seen gameplay?

I don't care if the response is not overwhelmingly positive, but I seriously don't understand the hugely negative.

The modern generation want it all and they want it all yesterday...

Modern generation? Okay…..

Yep, I guess it’s all completely want, want, want to actually see some gameplay or screenshot footage in a trailer advertising a game.

I would love to know when they show a trailer for House of the Dragon why on earth they show snippets of footage from various episodes - why on earth don’t they just show the possible demographic of its viewers. It’s almost like a trailer is supposed to entice people in to watch or buy based on what they see the game is capable of. Stupidity really. 

1 minute ago, kiwityke1983 said:

The major difference is the move to unity.

The last 10 FMs are all much of a muchness let's be honest. Which is probably why people didn't care about the reveal trailer having no substance.

You knew pretty much what you were getting when you bought FM.

Not so much this year.

I still don't see the difference.

I know a lot of FMers just play FM. I don't. I play a lot of games and there is no limit to the amount of games that will release teaser trailers at the same time as preorders go up.

Don't think I'm blindly devoting myself to FM25. I'm not. I have a sense of trepidation regarding this year's release, and I'll judge it on how I see it on November 26th. If I think it's bad then I'll say so.

But we haven't seen anything....!!! People are condemning FM25 because they "think" it'll be bad.

There's a level of preemptiveness there that prempts preemetiveness itself.

1 minute ago, Zoolok42 said:

Well we are all just discussing, based on what we know and what we see, and our previous life experiences :D It's kinda the point of this thread and the forums. We could be wrong, we could be right, there are no bonus points either way, just a bunch of people giving their 2 cents about what might be happening.

As for actually buying the game, if I do buy them these days, it's only on discounts after several major patches, and that applies to all games, not just FM. So that would be my practical advice to everyone here.

Heh, yeah, and I weren't really digging into your comments here, more of a baffling sense of why some people almost seem to hope for failure? Maybe I'm old and not as triggerhappy as the young whippersnappers today, but I'd like to see (end perhaps taste) what is being served before I decide if I like it or not! ;)

And I've always said that people should only buy something they want and/or need. I don't think I've ever encouraged anyone to pre-order anything anywhere. As with anything else in the world, vote with your wallet...

3 minutes ago, Kickballz said:

I realise you are playing devil's advocate for the most part, and I appreciate your point about the marketing, but trying to inject any common sense or rationality at this point is going to be swept away in a community sized tsumani of disinterest.

Most people are sitting back with the popcorn at the ready waiting for the inevitable train wreck. The voices of reason, patience and moderation have no chance in this maelstrom of failed expectation.

I'm actually not just playing this for laughs, I do think we need to wait and see. And I do realise that some people struggle to see past the mod-tag I have on my user here, but honestly, I don't walk any company line, nor do I post stuff in here I don't think is right. I think my history of criticism should show that, but I still get called a shill regularly because I don't follow the flow of negativity at times. Being in the centre of a discussion nowadays is a tricky thing, but I tend to not go all tribal in anything. So I will do as I always do, try to get all the facts before I decide what I think. And it's the same here, I'll await more info before I decide if I like it or not. I'm too old to be swayed by peer pressure! :D 

1 minute ago, davehanson said:

Modern generation? Okay…..

Yep, I guess it’s all completely want, want, want to actually see some gameplay or screenshot footage in a trailer advertising a game.

I would love to know when they show a trailer for House of the Dragon why on earth they show snippets of footage from various episodes - why on earth don’t they just show the possible demographic of its viewers. It’s almost like a trailer is supposed to entice people in to watch or buy based on what they see the game is capable of. Stupidity really. 

Actually gameplay will come. Sit down and have a cup of tea. Play something else, maybe.

This is very common in the games world. Release is in 2 months. You'll see some juicy gameplay by then...

It's not like you can play it...is it?

image.jpeg.635d28d6d8b9cddfd1695ea37de25a97.jpeg

Having read some of the roadmap and release date announcement again, I do have to say, I'm now not entirely sure we will be seeing a new ME base. The wording seems to suggest a new UI, but any wording suggesting a brand new ME base seems to now be ''more visually impressive match experience''.

Edited by Domoboy23

1 hour ago, JAwtunes said:

Agreed. Perhaps our old age has given us a little more patience :kriss:

The 1990s were so much more patient. :D Life was relaxed and the music was good. The phones were quite big and no one was on them 24/7.

Judging by the response to the FM25 announcement I think the sweets these days have more additives in them too. :hammer:

It's all them darn energy drinks

5 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

Having read some of the roadmap and release date announcement again, I do have to say, I'm now not entirely sure we will be seeing a new ME base. The wording seems to suggest a new UI, but any wording suggesting a brand new ME base seems to now be ''more visually impressive match experience''.

I think that was always the case that the underlying ME was going to be the same but get some improvements with the biggest improvements being graphical.

4 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

Match engine and graphics engine are two entirely different things.

I am pretty sure we're just seeing the match engine ported into a new graphics engine (unity).

I've said enough this morning about how I feel about the wild panic and hysteria from the community. I worked all night and I'm going to bed.

Calm down people. You'll get your juicy goodness throughout the month of October.

Just now, kiwityke1983 said:

I think that was always the case that the underlying ME was going to be the same but get some improvements with the biggest improvements being graphical.

Ahh. My initial understanding must've been wrong then! I'm happy with that, I'm actually happy with the FM24 engine. But as we all know, it can differ so much from one single ME version (never mind edition) to another! New pitch textures and stadium environments (both 2D and 3D even at an FM15 level) would be more than enough for me.

4 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

That's the thing. Nobody talked about a new ME. Just a new graphic interface,

On one side we could argue that if they strugled a lot without a new ME, they are into the s*** because having all those issues with a merely revamp of the graphic it's a terrible sign.

On the other side, we could imagine that they faced issues/delays because they changed so many things that everything will be upside down, which could be a good opportunity for massive improvements. 

We don't know yet, so there is no need to be pessimistic or optimistic.

The only thing we could do is to sit and wait. 

1 minute ago, anagain said:

Match engine and graphics engine are two entirely different things.

I am pretty sure we're just seeing the match engine ported into a new graphics engine (unity).

I've said enough this morning about how I feel about the wild panic and hysteria from the community. I worked all night and I'm going to bed.

Calm down people. You'll get your juicy goodness throughout the month of October.

I’m pretty sure everyone is entitled to an opinion. Yours isn’t the only one.

The majority, and not just here either, is that yesterday’s announcement and subsequent trailer were poor. 

5 minutes ago, anagain said:

The 1990s were so much more patient. :D Life was relaxed and the music was good. The phones were quite big and no one was on them 24/7.

Judging by the response to the FM25 announcement I think the sweets these days have more additives in them too. :hammer:

It's all them darn energy drinks

The most you got in the way of marketing was some text and a screenshot or too in PC Gamer or PC Format magazine! :)

The only potential positive outcome of this communications disasterclass of a release cycle is that it fully convinced me that this is the year for me (and hopefully part of the FM community) to put our foot down and refuse to pre-order/buy the game. I'm very much used to SI management repeating the same mistakes year after year with an impeccable track record of overpromising and underdelivering, but getting away with it (a) due to the loyalty of the player base and (b) because they manage to deliver a product that is somewhat functional.

After two years of hyping the new era of FM up, I don't think they even have the latter this time around, and I genuinely hope for consequences for SI because things are not likely to change otherwise. Less than two months until release and we have no idea whether the game actually exists or not beyond a very long list of removed features and several pretty bad-looking UI mockups. Yeah, not getting my money anytime soon.

7 minutes ago, XaW said:

Heh, yeah, and I weren't really digging into your comments here, more of a baffling sense of why some people almost seem to hope for failure? Maybe I'm old and not as triggerhappy as the young whippersnappers today, but I'd like to see (end perhaps taste) what is being served before I decide if I like it or not! ;)

And I've always said that people should only buy something they want and/or need. I don't think I've ever encouraged anyone to pre-order anything anywhere. As with anything else in the world, vote with your wallet...

I'm actually not just playing this for laughs, I do think we need to wait and see. And I do realise that some people struggle to see past the mod-tag I have on my user here, but honestly, I don't walk any company line, nor do I post stuff in here I don't think is right. I think my history of criticism should show that, but I still get called a shill regularly because I don't follow the flow of negativity at times. Being in the centre of a discussion nowadays is a tricky thing, but I tend to not go all tribal in anything. So I will do as I always do, try to get all the facts before I decide what I think. And it's the same here, I'll await more info before I decide if I like it or not. I'm too old to be swayed by peer pressure! :D 

I get what you are saying especially about the mod-tag, but that was never in my thinking. It is understandable that some people will always consider you a mod first and foremost - but I am not one of them.

I have always taken your posts at face value and  have never doubted your sincerity.

Just now, davehanson said:

I’m pretty sure everyone is entitled to an opinion. Yours isn’t the only one.

The majority, and not just here either, is that yesterday’s announcement and subsequent trailer were poor. 

Never said my opinion was the only one. Pretty sure I've just suggested people calm down and drink more tea. :onmehead:

18 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

In all seriousness from the WIP screehshots the UI looks better than I initially imagined. Still maybe looks a bit too console for my liking, as mentioned previously I don't think you can have a truly agnostic UI without it being detrimental to how a large majority of players like to play.

Still wasted space, and hope there's an option so that when landing on the squad page you see the actual squad selection page etc. I'm also really hoping it will be accessible to modding as everyone has their own style, likes and dislikes. Also doesn't currently look amazing for people with visual issues/accessibility wise like myself who rely on customization and clearer customizable coulour palette to play. But for all I know there's built in options that will cater to a large degree of that.

Bring on the roadmap and reveals.

For the benefit of @Costav and @anagain I was merely clarifying my understanding on posts from SI regarding FM25 from last year. As you can see from the above, at no point have I been ''panicking'' or judging too harshly lol and I'm keen to wait for more info and to have hands-on the game.

1 minute ago, Domoboy23 said:

For the benefit of @Costav and @anagain I was merely clarifying my understanding on posts from SI regarding FM25 from last year. As you can see from the above, at no point have I been ''panicking'' or judging too harshly lol and I'm keen to wait for more info and to have hands-on the game.

Sure. Don't worry,I was not referring directly to your comments, mine was more general! :thup: 

OK, let's be reasonable and accept that the overall schedule has been delayed by about 3 weeks to a month, and that there’s no in-game information available at the time of the release date trailer announcement.

However, the problem is that the schedule for revealing new features is still marked as 'TBA,' and even the titles of each section are vague compared to the past. Additionally, any mention of early access (beta) has disappeared. I believe these are more than enough signs for users to feel that things are not proceeding as usual.

1 minute ago, Costav said:

Moreover, given one of the screenshots released in June, we could immagine 2D will be there as usual

FM25 Demo 4

See, I don't mind this UI Too much, but this seems to be in the wrong aspect ratio, it looks all squished and bunched up. Stretch it out, get rid of the spaces we have seen in the other screenshots and PLEASE allow a transparency option for the background and I'd be alright with this as far a Match UI goes.

1 minute ago, Kickballz said:

I get what you are saying especially about the mod-tag, but that was never in my thinking. It is understandable that some people will always consider you a mod first and foremost - but I am not one of them.

I have always taken your posts at face value and  have never doubted your sincerity.

Yeah, I didn't mean you did, sorry if it came off wrong.

But it is something that many do see. And don't get me wrong on this either, this is "oh my life is so hard, I'm a mod". I like doing it and I can step down if I want! :D

I will be (and have been before) very critical of SI if I think it's deserved, and I will give feedback, both positive and negative, when I have some. So far I've only given negative feedback about the lack of information. For the product itself, I need more before I can make an informed decision.

1 minute ago, Domoboy23 said:

And apologies if I sounded patronising or anything. I was just clarifying things. And the second half of my reply wasn't really aimed at you, but more general. :D

36 minutes ago, anagain said:

This. I've got 11 games on my Steam Wishlist at present, and 9 are available to pre-order. Some have nothing more than a few screenshots available at this point. It's entirely normal.

5 minutes ago, mkstatto said:

The most you got in the way of marketing was some text and a screenshot or too in PC Gamer or PC Format magazine! :)

No - we used to get free Demo's of (then) Championship Manager a few weeks before the release. It used to be stuck on the front cover of various gaming magazines. That's how backwards the gaming industry has become - nobody wants to show off their product until it is actually released - review embargos etc, as most of them know that the truth would affect sales (NOT aiming that at SI tbf).

2 minutes ago, davehanson said:

No - we used to get free Demo's of (then) Championship Manager a few weeks before the release. It used to be stuck on the front cover of various gaming magazines. That's how backwards the gaming industry has become - nobody wants to show off their product until it is actually released - review embargos etc, as most of them know that the truth would affect sales (NOT aiming that at SI tbf).

I do agree that I miss demo disks, but Steam has whole weeks of some demo festival now. Games not even close to full release putting up teaser demos.

Not so easy to chuck out a very early demo for FM though, I think.

Just now, andu1 said:

The only thing im shocked about is that there is no early access...  It was the main reason to pre-order....

Said this yesterday - IMO, it was the only reason to pre-order. Now with only giving a 10% discount which means it will still be more on Steam than some other sites, there is no incentive to pre-order. 

On another subject- this usually happens, but not sure if it still will this year, streamers usually get to go down to SI to show some game footage a week or so before launch - any news if they are going to allow that to happen this year?

Just now, davehanson said:

Said this yesterday - IMO, it was the only reason to pre-order. Now with only giving a 10% discount which means it will still be more on Steam than some other sites, there is no incentive to pre-order. 

On another subject- this usually happens, but not sure if it still will this year, streamers usually get to go down to SI to show some game footage a week or so before launch - any news if they are going to allow that to happen this year?

I think a good chunk of people pre-order for the 2 week beta period tbh... Main reason I would consider doing so personally

4 minutes ago, andu1 said:

The only thing im shocked about is that there is no early access...  It was the main reason to pre-order....

Do we know that?

I saw people saying this on reddit and couldn't find any quote that said there was no early access. Maybe I missed something.

2 weeks of beta has been an established practice for FM. Let's wait and see.

5 minutes ago, davehanson said:

Yeah the industry has moved away from demo's, but this for a range of reasons. Primary amongst them, it takes time, resource and money away from the development of the actual product. Secondly, with the rise of Steam plus early access and digital products in general, its seen as not a method to market a game anymore (rightly or wrongly). 

Just now, anagain said:

Do we know that?

I saw people saying this on reddit and couldn't find any quote that said there was no early access. Maybe I missed something.

2 weeks of beta has been an established practice for FM. Let's wait and see.

There's no mention of it so I guess they're giving themselves some flexibility there...

Given they've done the 2 weeks early for as long as I can remember I understand why people are thinking they're struggling at the moment.

1 minute ago, Robbie Hood said:

When scrolling down the website the background switches from dark to light and the font colors do the opposite.

I suppose it's because otherwise you could not see the black console in the purple section

39 minutes ago, anagain said:

New graphics engine. The graphics engine and the match engine are two entirely seperate things. The matche engine has gotten better and better. I was never entirely unhappy with the graphics, but was never against change.

It's not a graphics engine, it's a game engine. The entire game runs on it, from the graphics, UI, to the stuff in the background, basically everything except the match simulation.

--------

Again, the biggest problem here is that there's nothing to show, except 5 "screenshots" that aren't actual screenshots from the game apparently, 3 of which are the same btw.

The biggest problem is that they don't even know when they will be able to announce ANYTHING, except the women's league that they worked on for a few years already at this point.

UI? - TBD, aka not finished, and we don't know when it will be in a state where we can showcase it.

Tactics? - TBD, aka not finished, and we don't know when it will be in a state where we can showcase it.

Match Experience? - TBD, aka not finished, and we don't know when it will be in a state where we can showcase it.

A lot of us have been asking for a roadmap, and now they deliver it in the absolute worst way possible, at the worst time possible as well (because the switch to new engine is a huge task). 

From devs perspective, I understand why. They don't necessarily want deadlines like that, when it's possible that they will not meet them.
Then again, that just tells us that the game is nowhere near ready, and the question is if it will be by release.

But another possibility is that they do have dates in mind already, but are choosing to announce them only after the previous showcase goes live, for whatever reason.

This switch to a new engine is something I was asking for the past few years, it was a necessary step forward, and I'm definitely excited for what it can bring.

However, that doesn't mean there's nothing to criticize here, in how they managed this whole thing. 

A lot of people don't even know what this means for the game, they're often confusing it with match engine, or something else. Which means it should've been communicated better, and it should've been explained so the average person can understand it.

Basically this not only raises the floor of the game, but absolutely rises the ceiling as well, meaning a lot more stuff will be possible, that previously wasn't. This is especially the case due to minimum requirements going up. This just tells me that it will require more computing power to run, which could mean more detailed and realistic gameplay experience. 

Basically, for the past however many years, the game has at core been the same. Same old UI bugs on tactics screen squad view, same old interface with just cosmetic changes. 

This new engine will absolutely improve that, but the only issue is, we might not see it immediately in FM25.