FM 25 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

9 minuti fa, Robbie Hood ha scritto:

I hope this is a big hint for a light and dark skin in FM25. 

When scrolling down the website the background switches from dark to light and the font colors do the opposite.

https://www.footballmanager.com/games/football-manager-25

There's a lot of overthinking in that mate. I'd rather say the colour contrast it's been part of their new deal since the re-think of this forum:

The FM logo shows two (beautiful) colours, here the switch in the background.

Edited by Federico

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, anagain said:

Do we know that?

I saw people saying this on reddit and couldn't find any quote that said there was no early access. Maybe I missed something.

2 weeks of beta has been an established practice for FM. Let's wait and see.

There is no info about an early access anywhere.. i also saw some youtubers mentioning this fact as well.

3 minutes ago, mkstatto said:

Yeah the industry has moved away from demo's, but this for a range of reasons. Primary amongst them, it takes time, resource and money away from the development of the actual product. Secondly, with the rise of Steam plus early access and digital products in general, its seen as not a method to market a game anymore (rightly or wrongly). 

Also, back in the day, if a game was utterly bad (see Mod I refrained from creating *s) you would tell your friends and that was the extent of the damage. These days, it will run rampant online before you know it. So, pre-orders + no demos (or very late demos) assure a certain level of sales before the truth is known.

15 minutes ago, davehanson said:

No - we used to get free Demo's of (then) Championship Manager a few weeks before the release. It used to be stuck on the front cover of various gaming magazines. That's how backwards the gaming industry has become - nobody wants to show off their product until it is actually released - review embargos etc, as most of them know that the truth would affect sales (NOT aiming that at SI tbf).

Remember the Vanilla/Strawberry Demo Options back 15 odd years ago?

Edited by KillYourIdols

1 minute ago, Federico said:

There's a lot of overthinking in that mate.

For sure! :) That`s unfortunately what can happen when we don´t get more official information...

Just really hope they include a dark and light skin option in the base game with the switch to Unity.

In questo momento, Robbie Hood ha scritto:

For sure! :) That`s unfortunately what can happen when we don´t get more official information...

Just really hope they include a dark and light skin option in the base game with the switch to Unity.

I'm sure some good skinner will create a light one ;)

Just now, KillYourIdols said:

Remember the Vanilla/Strawberry Demo Options?

Vaguley, yes.

I do remember getting a demo disc from a box of Frosties once I believe. As a kid I didn't even eat cereal, but persuaded my parents to buy some :D

3 minutes ago, davehanson said:

Vaguley, yes.

I do remember getting a demo disc from a box of Frosties once I believe. As a kid I didn't even eat cereal, but persuaded my parents to buy some :D

Half a season if I remember Correctly. And if Mum got the wrong cereal, you got EA's FA Premier League Football Manager and went and brought your own.

Edited by KillYourIdols

2 hours ago, oi_oi_ginger_roy said:

I'm not bothered about the womens game being in FM - to me it's no different to them adding, say, the Japan league... some will like it some won't but we don't have to play with them loaded.

For me it's how basic the game is starting to look - from what we've seen it looks like its tailored more to the console/mobile. I've always hated the base skin and used some superb community made ones for years. Why hasn't SI used one of these skinners and come up with something quite spectacular looking? 

Look at these skins from FM24 compared to the one we're getting in FM25

image.png.f42bf5f48fc4ae9802cb339fc62255ef.png

What i don't understand is... Why is it that ppl believes this is a player profil ?

It's clearly a player report meaning a popup - look at the X in the corner,

Thats alreast how i see it and it would makes the most sense

This has probably been mentioned already. :)

I think they’ll be thinking the new unity graphics engine will sell the game on the consoles, the kids love graphics, and tbh, SI will win that market on that alone, I guess. Us old archaic PC users aren’t really wanted anymore. This is what worries me the most. It’s all going down the graphics route/console route and FM has never really been about the graphics, for me at least. 

1 hour ago, andu1 said:

The only thing im shocked about is that there is no early access...  It was the main reason to pre-order....

Stands to reason if they have a delay.

Early Access at end of November, given Early Access is effectively a Beta Bug Hunt, would involve pushing the final release to mid December surely?

Not sure SI can please everyone here.

38 minutes ago, snowofman said:

What i don't understand is... Why is it that ppl believes this is a player profil ?

It's clearly a player report meaning a popup - look at the X in the corner,

Thats alreast how i see it and it would makes the most sense

This has probably been mentioned already. :)

Let’s hope you’re right

even so it’s still bland 😁

36 minutes ago, Harryhi said:

I think they’ll be thinking the new unity graphics engine will sell the game on the consoles, the kids love graphics, and tbh, SI will win that market on that alone, I guess. Us old archaic PC users aren’t really wanted anymore. This is what worries me the most. It’s all going down the graphics route/console route and FM has never really been about the graphics, for me at least. 

Once this can't be played on a laptop with at least a recent iGPU I'll be done with it. Not used a Desktop for FM in years aside from occasional weekends where kids and partner are away, most of my precious FM time is on the laptop around babies napping, babies needing a cwtch at night, watching footy, or commuting/stuck in a hotel.

Not withstanding the huge number of people in the Laptop Benchmark thread that shows a thriving number of Laptop users.

Edited by CoffeeKittyGrey

The whole approach SI have taken with marketing the game going in a 'new direction' or whatever the phrasing is, makes a lot more sense if you adjust who it is aimed at.

We naturally assume it is aimed at us, the hardcore fans, and that it's telling us about all the good things that we have been asking for for years. A new direction means more depth and improvements to all the things that get us frustrated. Finally, they are sorting things out.

Actually... it's likely aimed the people who have never played the game, for the very reasons that we love it, that its too dense, too impenetrable with the endless screens of information, too much of a spreadsheet simulator for XG nerds etc. We're taking it in a new direction, this is not that stodgy game your uncle plays etc.

Reading it in that context makes so much more sense, but is also hugely disappointing. 

I truly do fear that this is going to just be FM touch, optimised for consoles to attract a new playerbase at the expense of us long-time fans. 

EDIT: I realise this is just speculation, but so is the idea that the game will be great. The point is, we have NOTHING to go on, and that is the fault of SI, and SI alone. 

Edited by Craigus89

1 hour ago, Federico said:

I don't get this thing that a VG company "owe" us something. We're not paying them prior to get the product. They don't need to apologies to us because we have to wait 20 days further on something we haven't bought yet. It's a game, it's not something we necessarily need for our lives. Are we really having a go at them because of 20 days of delay on something which is intended to occupy our free time? Seriously? I'd like to play it right now but hey, I'm gonna wait.

"I've been patient for too long, now gimme your game you owe it to me!!!". It makes laugh doesn't it :lol:

I don’t understand why I’m receiving this kind of sarcasm from a community made up of people who actively provide feedback and enjoy the game more than anyone else. It’s a ‘gaming community,’ so where else would we have these discussions?

5 minutes ago, Harryhi said:

Yeps there were hints it was going this direction following the most recent release, but yeah it's why I'm no longer considering FM as a game to invest in going forwards, unless they re-implement everything back in they have removed, and steer back in the direction of being passionate in producing the most realistic management sim, rather than a condense / simplified version in order to attract console / new gamers.

But, that's why SI have taken this decision. And to be fair, it's the smart move from a business and profitability perspective, whilst securing their long-term future.

Fact is us older players don't matter anymore, and in order for them to grow they need a game that attracts console / modern gamers, whilst implementing an engine where the transition in making the game manufacturable across all platforms with ease as their priority. That will make it easier to achieve yearly improvements with little effort required.

And if there's anything which may place added stress / difficulties in order to achieve this, then now would be the right time to try and eradicate these. (such as removing weight - no need to now try to implement this "properly / realistically" by simply removing it, and permanently removing shouts). And anything that may come back down the line (like INT management / drafts etc), will be considered a new feature and justify the price tag.

But the need for cross platform compatibility is why the game will no longer look to provide management at an in-depth level, which sadly for me, is what made me enjoy the game, and I always hoped that each year this was something that would be continued to be built upon.

But the direction has completely changed for at least the medium term, till they have their new player base, who have competently learnt the game and are at a point where more complex things could be brought back in - providing, it is feasible to do so on each platform, and if it's worth the effort. But that's not at all a given.

I'll continue to see how the game develops I guess, but fortunately I've already found a replacement game that I'm enjoying a lot to take over from FM.

3 minuti fa, dosh ha scritto:

I don’t understand why I’m receiving this kind of sarcasm from a community made up of people who actively provide feedback and enjoy the game more than anyone else. It’s a ‘gaming community,’ so where else would we have these discussions?

Correct, it's a community, where people reply to any post from anyone. And yours was not a discussion but a complaint and not even a constructive one.

18 minutes ago, Harryhi said:

Ah yes, PC users infamously do not care about graphics at all. It's not like the entire enthusiast gaming sphere revolves around PC-gaming and graphics cards that cost as much or even more than the newest consoles. 

1 hour ago, XaW said:

Yeah, as I said, that's a reasonable criticism in my view.

People already deciding the game is bad is what baffles me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone should pre-order or anything, I'm saying we don't know enough yet to make any sort of judgement of the game, marketing aside.

The people... in my opinion... saying the game is bad. They are saying the marketing of FM25 has been abismal at this point in time. 

But baffles me even further, how people defend SI and this whatever you want to call it, to pre-order at this point a non-existing game. I mean more people have seen Sasquatch and Yeti, then this game,

For how much people criticise Apple's lack of innovation, they only do pre-orders when they have something concrete to show. SI has nothing concrete at this point. Hey, maybe next week... hopefully not just block of text and some player profiles... My bet that is what we are going to get. It just theories and a few work in progress, that much more like a mockup then anything else... A trailer that showed nothing, no gameplay. I know more about Miles holiday plans then this actual game...

There is nothing to criticise about the game, because we know nothing about it. Do we have a game at all? I even beginning to question if we will be getting a game this year or working game at that. The roadmap made me that skeptical. I don't even believe we are getting the game on 26th November of this year...

I'm not pre-ordering nothing, until I have proof there is an actual physical game. Any Video or Dev showcase or something. Until then, I'm out.

2 ore fa, Federico ha scritto:

I don't get this thing that a VG company "owe" us something. We're not paying them prior to get the product. They don't need to apologies to us because we have to wait 20 days further on something we haven't bought yet. It's a game, it's not something we necessarily need for our lives. Are we really having a go at them because of 20 days of delay on something which is intended to occupy our free time? Seriously? I'd like to play it right now but hey, I'm gonna wait.

"I've been patient for too long, now gimme your game you owe it to me!!!". It makes laugh doesn't it :lol:

You are right, in fact SI won't get my money for FM25, a product that in my book is inferior to FM24 (which i got for free on the epic store) since i can't even attempt my yearly san marino challenge (which i never won, but that's another matter).

I'll leave FM25 to the few thousands fans that enjoy women's football.

When you "innovate" so much that you go backwards

Here is a screenshot of a plyer in FM11 and the preview of FM25. 

One of them has clear, concise information, with key tabs standing out and an easy way to navigate wherever you want in the game in one or two clicks.

The other one is an insult to the intelligence of your player base and has zero lack for the familiarity with the game that they built over the years

Reph0.jpg.f3e60734cee15edabab385980ba49995.jpgss_809fb2fd7844eb9148aca616fe716c789edf748e.1920x1080.thumb.jpg.e7a3f47b69addc71959c0d9ea6a840df.jpg

1 hour ago, Kickballz said:

but trying to inject any common sense or rationality at this point is going to be swept away in a community sized tsumani of disinterest.

Most people are sitting back with the popcorn at the ready waiting for the inevitable train wreck. The voices of reason, patience and moderation have no chance in this maelstrom of failed expectation.

Twas always thus. My account age belies the several decades I've visited this forum around launch time looking for information and finding indifference and arguments.

The starter of rich creamy outrage typically contains the crunchy crouton of claimed disinterest and the soggy dumpling of defeatism during the pre-release period, then the undercooked Cacciatore of complaint once the beta is out. If you remain at the table long enough entrenched positions are assumed over the post-release dessert whereupon the After Eight of Entitlement faces off against the Fino of Fanboyism and the mods end up asking people to get off the table or kicking them out altogether.

9 minutes ago, grade said:

The people... in my opinion... saying the game is bad. They are saying the marketing of FM25 has been abismal at this point in time. 

But baffles me even further, how people defend SI and this whatever you want to call it, to pre-order at this point a non-existing game. I mean more people have seen Sasquatch and Yeti, then this game,

For how much people criticise Apple's lack of innovation, they only do pre-orders when they have something concrete to show. SI has nothing concrete at this point. Hey, maybe next week... hopefully not just block of text and some player profiles... My bet that is what we are going to get. It just theories and a few work in progress, that much more like a mockup then anything else... A trailer that showed nothing, no gameplay. I know more about Miles holiday plans then this actual game...

There is nothing to criticise about the game, because we know nothing about it. Do we have a game at all? I even beginning to question if we will be getting a game this year or working game at that. The roadmap made me that skeptical. I don't even believe we are getting the game on 26th November of this year...

I'm not pre-ordering nothing, until I have proof there is an actual physical game. Any Video or Dev showcase or something. Until then, I'm out.

I'm not sure what you are answering? I never defended SI here, I also said my big issue is the lack of information. I said I don't think we have enough info about the game itself to judge it yet. I've not asked anyone to pre-order, nor have I said that people should buy it. I said I think people should wait until we have more info before deciding either way.

Other than that I'm perplexed at why this is aimed at me?

4 minuti fa, DMaster2 ha scritto:

You are right, in fact SI won't get my money for FM25, a product that in my book is inferior to FM24 (which i got for free on the epic store) since i can't even attempt my yearly san marino challenge (which i never won, but that's another matter).

I'll leave FM25 to the few thousands fans that enjoy women's football.

An whole bunch of non-sense. Stay well mate.

29 minutes ago, dosh said:

I remember when CM4 was released. New 2D Match Engine and I read all the news about the game in the magazines a year before expected launch. The game was the beginning of a new era. The game was scheduled to release before christmas 2002. I was looking forward to the release. Unfortunately the game was pushed back until 28/3-2003 and the game was awful to play the first couple of months. A year later SI Games got separated from EIdos. If the story was true, Eidos pushed SI Games to release CM4 before the game actually was ready for launch. Could it happen again with SI and SEGA???? I hope not, but do SEGA have power to push for a release before christmas, although they know the game isn´t ready??? Then we will look into a year with FM25 as a beta for FM26, like CM4 was it for CM03/04.

Edited by bella699

8 minutes ago, XaW said:

I'm not sure what you are answering? I never defended SI here, I also said my big issue is the lack of information. I said I don't think we have enough info about the game itself to judge it yet. I've not asked anyone to pre-order, nor have I said that people should buy it. I said I think people should wait until we have more info before deciding either way.

Other than that I'm perplexed at why this is aimed at me?

Not exactly aimed at you. But it was the continuation where the conversation of criticising the people criticising the game was heading.

There is one a valid criticism, that SI is doing poor marketing campaign for this game.

Sorry, if you got the end stick of my comment.

Edited by grade

12 minutes ago, grade said:

Not exactly aimed at you. But it was the continuation where the conversation of criticising the people criticising the game was heading.

There is one a valid criticism, that SI is doing poor marketing campaign for this game.

Sorry, if you got the end stick of my comment.

No worries, I just got a bit lost in there.

I don't mind people criticising SI for the marketing, I did it myself! I do mind people saying the game is bad, as we don't know because of the just about non-existing info I just criticised...

16 minutes ago, XaW said:

No worries, I just got a bit lost in there.

I don't mind people criticising SI for the marketing, I did it myself! I do mind people saying the game is bad, as we don't know because of the just about non-existing info I just criticised...

But the production seems to be in bad state, if this and past announcements and roadmap is solely base in lot abstract dates...

Edited by grade

If and it's a big if without actually having seen the game at all SI are going after a new audience and customer base...can anyone give me an example of a niche show/game/product attempting this and succeeding?

Normally what happens is they annoy the small audience/base they have and attract nowhere near as big a chunk of this huge mythical audience/base they were chasing.

If there isn't any early access i feel the game is going to be even more bugged out than it looks like it already is, by the look of them screenshots or whatever they was what they released it looks so rushed and if there isn't a beta imagen the bugs that will be on the initial release. Ouch!

Let's give them the benefit of doubt but its not looking good at all really, even the new logo looks like a volleyball LOL.

This is going to be the only year where i haven't pre ordered as soon as the pre order goes up.

52 minutes ago, DMaster2 said:

SI won't get my money for FM25, a product that in my book is inferior to FM24 (which i got for free on the epic store)

Not sure if this is meant to be ironic, but made me smile either way.

3 hours ago, Federico said:

To be honest, this has happened like in every FM I remember. Complaints included. Nothing new under the sky, but yes a better marketing policy would benefit the community.

I'd disagree given this is 'the new direction', whilst previously everyone knew what to expect, this is where no one actually knows. It is all pretty poorly handled.

1 hour ago, Harryhi said:

I am hoping this gives a chance for someone to sweep in a fill that hole if SI move more to the casual/console market.

A competitor is desperately needed. Would love for CM to come back and be competent

3 hours ago, anagain said:

I've paid for it for 20+ years. Not regretted that yet.

That's great. Each to their own. I'm no fan of paying for a service that really isn't showing anything sellable. 

6 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

If and it's a big if without actually having seen the game at all SI are going after a new audience and customer base...can anyone give me an example of a niche show/game/product attempting this and succeeding?

Normally what happens is they annoy the small audience/base they have and attract nowhere near as big a chunk of this huge mythical audience/base they were chasing.

Ironically, FM Console, Touch and Mobile are themselves good examples of this, since they have actually succeeded in attracting new customer bases, which is another reason why this whole "oh no they're simplifying the pc game" claim that people have made up in their own minds is so nonsensical.

They already make separate versions of the game for the various platforms because they know that the different groups seek slightly different experiences. Modern consoles are also probably more powerful than your average FM PC user's desktop/laptop, so there's no reason why a console version existing would hold back the "depth" of the simulation. If anything, the incredibly low hardware requirements to run the PC game is probably holding the game back more.

Yeah that pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. It does feel like that. Console console console, because that's where they will get more, new fans of the game. I get it but as you said, FM has never been about the graphics for me either. Now it just appears to be graphics and bloated click actions for silly things like press conferences and neverending unhappy players because you just praised them for playing great lol

I'm going back to FM12!

3 minutes ago, flogside said:

Yeah that pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. It does feel like that. Console console console, because that's where they will get more, new fans of the game. I get it but as you said, FM has never been about the graphics for me either. Now it just appears to be graphics and bloated click actions for silly things like press conferences and neverending unhappy players because you just praised them for playing great lol

I'm going back to FM12!

Yeh I only play with commentary. 2d sometimes. 

I most play on Steamdeck now, but unfortunately it doesn't support versions before 2018. I would play FM 11 again in a heartbeat 

20 minutes ago, ohnonottheshouts said:

Ironically, FM Console, Touch and Mobile are themselves good examples of this, since they have actually succeeded in attracting new customer bases, which is another reason why this whole "oh no they're simplifying the pc game" claim that people have made up in their own minds is so nonsensical.

They already make separate versions of the game for the various platforms because they know that the different groups seek slightly different experiences. Modern consoles are also probably more powerful than your average FM PC user's desktop/laptop, so there's no reason why a console version existing would hold back the "depth" of the simulation. If anything, the incredibly low hardware requirements to run the PC game is probably holding the game back more.

They are spin offs which yes are often very successful.

I'm more on about when the original product itself is changed to attract a new audience.

Old archaic PC users can't even use most modern websites nowadays, and they shouldn't be expected to run modern games on it. If you wish to use a 15 year old PC in 2024, be my guest, but don't expect to run modern games on it. You can still play older games, that came out during that time.

By the way, this is not a "graphics engine", it's a game engine. Everything except the match simulator (ME) will run on it. It's not just for graphics.

9 minutes ago, ohnonottheshouts said:

So if you have a international save from FM24 you can carry it forward to FM25?

27 minutes ago, trevjim said:

Yeh I only play with commentary. 2d sometimes. 

I most play on Steamdeck now, but unfortunately it doesn't support versions before 2018. I would play FM 11 again in a heartbeat 

Yeah 2d suits me fine! Don't get me wrong, I completely understand that this is an older FM player mentality and they need to attract new players with......shiny new things which for this days gamer would be 3d match engines and a new graphical interface etc but it appears to be heading more and more to a console based game. Is what it is. What needs to happen is some genius needs to find a way to entirely port the latest FM database onto any older version of FM and the same for graphics packs lol

12 minutes ago, (sic) said:

Old archaic PC users can't even use most modern websites nowadays, and they shouldn't be expected to run modern games on it. If you wish to use a 15 year old PC in 2024, be my guest, but don't expect to run modern games on it. You can still play older games, that came out during that time.

By the way, this is not a "graphics engine", it's a game engine. Everything except the match simulator (ME) will run on it. It's not just for graphics.

I might be wrong here but I think they meant more along the lines of PC/Laptop users being archaic over the likes of console users. Not an actual archaic pc/laptop itself! 

Again, might be wrong. It happens sometimes. 

22 minutes ago, andu1 said:

Why cant we have a normal football as the logo? Whats with the strange ball that resembles more of a volleyball?

So weird and uninspired 

For those that haven't notice. The Logo that actually looks like volleyball, if have closer look it is FM in artistically way.

I for don't really like it.

Edited by grade

On a positive note; everyone who expect this game to be bad - it can only go up from here. 

I expect almost the exact same game as FM24, only with a different user interface.  The same as they always do. I fear they have ported most of the code to unity. It`s probably the only way they could work this fast and have the game ready. 

People talk about a new game engine, new and better graphics...maybe in time they will do that. I was hoping for a complete rewrite with many new features and many old ones gone. But they are an extremely conservative company, so it will likely not be too many surprises and it will be ok (not terrible, not great).

I've been playing FM since FM06 and been very disappointed with the direction the game is heading towards. I understand they have to cater for a new audience since FM has become too complex for newcomers to learn, the problem is that SI, in an effort to please everyone, made the game complex for newcomers and easy for experient players. I remember back in FM07, 08, the game was easier to learn since it was simpler, but beating Barcelona and Real Madrid was harder. Player attributes mattered more because we didn't have mood swings that would affect Ronaldinho crushing your team. Now it is easier to beat Bayerns and Borussias (I like playing Bundesliga) once you get a grasp of what really works within the game. 

It is a shame because I think that will be even more visible in FM25 and upcoming versions. SI is obviously prioritizing new players entry over better AI that would mean more difficulty. I don't know about others, but I would definitely welcome a more streamlined game that focused on the core aspects that made people fall in love with the franchise in the first place. 

Even graphics, I know people want better 3D, but if you are going to give us 3D, give us REAL 3D. 3D in FM is ugly looking, and it takes out the imagination that 2D need since you can imagine a backheel pass, a side of the foot crossing, and so on. Once you change to 3D, all the imagination is gone. To compensate for that, they should focus on presenting a 3D that looked like humans playing instead of robots. 

Edited by Rodrigogc

Well, the minimum and recommended specs are out and seem to preclude any kind of iGPU in a laptop unless you want it to look like 8bit?

A 2060 is about 50% faster than the current Radeon 880M and I'm not sure Intel iGPU offerings - Arc/Iris XE2 competes with 880M either.

image.png.4fa63f6c1cd3c99be0cdb344939a6338.png

Edited by CoffeeKittyGrey

The UI and interface sneak peeks have been getting panned it seems, but got to be honest, I don't mind the tile system and packing the info away neatly into their relevant sections :D I hate the trend of skins/custom views trying to cram the entire works of Shakespeare onto one screen.