FM 25 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, sufcdan said:

Said it from the start, delay it until FM26, and got pretty bashed by some for saying it. Was obviously never going to be ready. ''How can you expect a company to delay when it's their annual main income'', well this clearly shows there are enough funds to do so.

Totally agree with you. And saw people being bashed for saying similar, suggesting SI couldn't afford to miss a year etc etc when that's unfortunately just what needed to happen if the changes being made are so big and time consuming. I don't really care about it being delayed, was never likely to purchase 25, but the fact that they are now releasing the game right at the end of the season and then, and yes.....I'm assuming this.......they will be releasing 26 later in the same year.......people potentially will be buying two games in the same year? Why not just bin off 25 completely and focus fully on 26 and provide some freebies for the 24 version?? Terrible look for SI but I also do feel sorry for the staff (and the mods on here) for any abuse they get. It's just a game but it's been terribly handled by SI, really really poor!

7 minutes ago, DMC-12 said:

I'm not doubting that, but they have had people working on it for years. 

Blaming the women's game for the delay to FM25 is just wrong though. It's not the cause of the delay. 

You don't know that, it could well be a major factor. The Unity video released this week is interesting though. That was talking about how easy everything was in Unity, so it shouldn't really take more than a month or so to get the UI mechanics in a workable state, obviously changes and redesigns will be going on all the time. The real time killer will presumably be the graphics, animations and how that's linked to the game engine itself, which hopefully is getting a major overhaul. The women's game is more than just a new set of leagues. There is effectively a second game running in parallel there which I'm sure brings system requirement limitations into play and things like that. The ability for staff to move between the two but not players must be a challenge as well.

I'm sure SI will come out and clarify things in due course. I'm sure this has been as much of a shock internally as it has externally and with the fanbase in such turmoil, it seems likely they'll respond to clear things up.

7 minutes ago, Viking said:

Well, delaying the game seems to be the right thing to do. I'd rather have a playable game in March than a bug soup in November. 

I don’t disagree with that. Two issues though:

1. they only set the release date a week or so ago - there is no way they haven’t understood how unfinished the game is so there have been some mistakes made here for sure. Massive alarm bells we’ve only seen wireframe’s so far and not actual screenshots. Look at the live streams we have for other games releasing in the near future. 

2. considering it usually takes 3 patches to get things right that will take us to about July until it’s ’bug free’ to the extent that’s acceptable to most. As this is a new engine etc you can expect that to be longer - what effect will that have on FM26?

Even accepting they have no choice and it’s the right thing to do, there are clearly consequences. 

Edited by DP

8 minutes ago, alian62 said:

One thing is now it will be released before the English Season starts rather than 4 months in.  So the database will updated just before kick off in 2025-2026 season  

eh, You'll ger a version March '25 for the 24/25 season that I'd expect to contain options to include / not include the Jan transfer window update. I'd then expect a FM26 released Nov 25 time if they revert to the original schedule

47 minutes ago, DMC-12 said:

This is CM4 all over again. And it was a shambles at launch. 

We've all known it wasn't anywhere near ready. The lack of any screenshots or footage was the giveaway, but this tells us that it really isn't even playable. 

Good call, this. A title that got delayed a lot, heralded by a short-lived Championship Manager magazine and then the game was buggy, grindingly slow bobbins upon its release. CM03/04 was fun, but by that point SI Games were in the process of breaking off from Eidos and the rest is history.

I just found out that Football Manager 2025 got delayed until March 2025, which means I need to talk to my manager about canceling my holiday at the end of November 2024. I’m not really sure how to explain it to them, though. I want to make sure I say the right things, so they understand why I need to cancel.

Can you help me figure out what to say?

1 hour ago, busngabb said:

I was expecting a delay if I'm honest. I've repeatedly stated that it's weird we've not seen a single screenshot of the new in game graphics. That is the 'new' game's biggest feature, it's biggest selling point, and with weeks to go until release it was nowhere to be seen.

It’s going to be the exact same with this new release date. No gameplay footage until the end of January 2025, with a March 2025 planned released. 

4 weeks or so before the new release date and you won’t have anything to show anyone before that point? It’s not looking good…

7 minutes ago, busngabb said:

You don't know that, it could well be a major factor. The Unity video released this week is interesting though. That was talking about how easy everything was in Unity, so it shouldn't really take more than a month or so to get the UI mechanics in a workable state, obviously changes and redesigns will be going on all the time. The real time killer will presumably be the graphics, animations and how that's linked to the game engine itself, which hopefully is getting a major overhaul. The women's game is more than just a new set of leagues. There is effectively a second game running in parallel there which I'm sure brings system requirement limitations into play and things like that. The ability for staff to move between the two but not players must be a challenge as well.

I'm sure SI will come out and clarify things in due course. I'm sure this has been as much of a shock internally as it has externally and with the fanbase in such turmoil, it seems likely they'll respond to clear things up.

They won't come out and clarify e erything.

Imagine the backlash if they admit development of the woman's game and the new engine all at the same time was too big a project.

1 minute ago, 1984 said:

I just found out that Football Manager 2025 got delayed until March 2025, which means I need to talk to my manager about canceling my holiday at the end of November 2024. I’m not really sure how to explain it to them, though. I want to make sure I say the right things, so they understand why I need to cancel.

Can you help me figure out what to say?

:D Given it will be your 2025 holiday allowance you'll be Ok but will need holiday booked March '25 for FM25 and Nov '25 for FM 26. See if you can carry this years Nov hol into 2025 ;) 

1 minute ago, ForTheLoveOfTheGame said:

It’s going to be the exact same with this new release date. No gameplay footage until the end of January 2025, with a March 2025 planned released. 

4 weeks or so before the new release date and you won’t have anything to show anyone before that point? It’s not looking good…

No, it does hint that this is the main issue they're facing doesn't it. I have faith that there will be a further communication once things have settled down and the picture has become a little clearer.

One hand I'm disappointed, but on another I was not entirely shock, as this week draw to a close, there was no new announcement. I was beginning to toy with the idea of another delay.

Well I prefer a working game then the bug FM25 was actually was indicative of the first delay and the removal of features.

So with the said, I'm also the camp, that SI lost a good opportunity to move FM into the territory into a September release schedule for all future FMs. Why lost opportunity, because I do not see delaying any further, without SI looking bad as it is, since the marketing campaign of FM25 was horrendous.

I do not call for anyone to be fired, no matter how much I dislike Miles, but it shocks me that SI don't have a plan B for this case. A payed DLC of update rosters of the summer transfers... You would think someone like Miles and senior SI staff have learned their lessons with CM3 and CM4... Guess not, I think that ship as sailed away... I mean putting a payed DLC now, also will make them look bad and money hungry.

Curious, I would have bought the DLC in heartbeat, just to help them out.  Now I think the only solutions is keep it quite add remove features into FM25 or make a free DLC has a gesture of good faith for the delay.

PS: I think it is good opportunity, they release FM25 in march at lower price, because we all know it will be glorified beta for FM26. Then release FM26 full price in September.

50 minutes ago, Nickg07 said:

Huge huge mistake.

Why did you guys not plan to release fm25 with the new engine AND THEN add in womens in the next installment?

Which do you think would equal more sales? Launch in March with women's leagues or launch in September with international management and a working game?

Who do you think your core audience is?

Si you have cost yourselves millions and for what?

And the decision to take pre orders then less than a couple of weeks later delay by 6 months? Cynical cash grab.

And I've been playing since cm2.

What are you guys doing?

For the last time: this is not about women's football!!!!!!!!!! It is about adapting an entire game into new engine fault. To be fair it is the side I'm really disappointing about this delay... The endless debate of Women's football without any proper announcement was made will continue... Jesus... Let it go this poor excuse., please... for all is sacred, please let it go...

Edited by grade

Ideal of course for fans would be an official update to existing game database and calendar for this season and delay new game until FM 2026. Offer it for half the price of the original FM 2024 for those that already have said game and keep current FM 2024 price for those that never bought it, and maybe even allow those that bought both version of 2024 to carry forward some discount for the next release (FM 2026 under this proposal).

Am sure SI would do that if there were not complicating factors preventing them from doing so.

Perhaps there were/are some ******** optical/meaningless milestone/ego driven reasons (20 year anniversary from original 2005 edition) driving everyone toward this unrealistic delivery season for the new era of FM.

1 hour ago, DarkStarr said:

Probably been said already,  but just scrap FM25, and focus on FM26 instead.  

What would be good idea I think,  is to release a transfer update for FM24.  Could even change the name of it to FM25. 

Or release FM25 in March and then FM26 basically be a clean-up and data update

2 minutes ago, Nickg07 said:

They won't come out and clarify e erything.

Imagine the backlash if they admit development of the woman's game and the new engine all at the same time was too big a project.

We'll see. It's clear by the delay happening at all that this was the case. It being delayed by so long proves it further, there is clearly a massive amount of work still to complete here, or to redo because it's failed quality control and sign off for release.

The communication could always be worse. Try being a Leicester fan.

I know this is not a philosophy that always works well in business but I think it’s better to do things right than doing them fast. I’d say that’s especially true with something as massive and complex as FM, so I’m happy enough with this.

1 hour ago, vikeologist said:

Got to love the fact that almost every single comment on Twitter is the same. 'Skip FM25, Release data update, etc'.

If this was a normal cycle like the last 10 or so years, at what point would they have started on FM26?

You'd think this would make the FM26 development cycle tough, because they're going to have to allocate a huge amount of resources to FM25 for at least a couple of months after its release. Focussing on FM26 in May or more likely June is going to make it tough to achieve a Nov '26 release.

They must have considered writing off FM25.

Even though the last 5 years have seriously dented my brand loyalty to SI, I still wish them the best, but I'm writing off FM25, unless they manage to pull off a really well-built game in March. Which is possible. They've just given themselves another 5 months, and I'm sure they realise that delaying the game is a lot less damaging than releasing a bad game. But if they release a bad game in March, well, that will be a challenge to recover from both reputation-wise, and being able to release FM26 in time.

Personally, I'm in a win-win situation where I wish them all the worst given the FM Live debacle (scandalous) and Im not particularly keen on the face of the company, but they still provide me with incredible value worth of entertainment. So either way, Im happy enough.

I'm fully expecting at some point (hoping) that SI come out and say that after some more.careful considerations, FM25 is going to be cancelled so that they can fully focus on 26. What an earth is the point of releasing a game like this in March ? 

Come on SI, do the right thing here! 

On a more positive note, this thread just got even more popcorn worthy so.....thanks SI! And on a more serious note, hope the mods here don't get too much grief, we do need to remember they don't make the game and do this modding for free!

That Twitter poll was very interesting regards to SI platform users.......massively PC dominated still, even though it feels like SI are favouring console and going more in than direction!?

1 hour ago, samrnpage said:

As many have stated here, I fully believe they should skip a year and go full steam for FM26. Give themselves an entire extra development cycle to get it right. 

I know how corporate deals happen behind scenes though, they might have no choice to release a yearly version on a legal basis. (Think advertiser's on the billboards in the match engine that are now getting months less advertisement due to the delay and might be a bit annoyed by this and of course a whole year is even worse) 

If they need revenue im sure a £5.99 Database update for FM24, some will purchase it. Some like myself will probably just use the steam workshop out of principle though.

I also feel terrible for the smaller content creators on YouTube and the likes. Views are going be through the floor and their incomes will half. 

How much faith do you have than an extra 7/8 months internally working on FM26 and skipping FM25 would make to the overall quality?

A huge part of the quality comes externally on beta, release of full game from people playing, testing, experiencing, reporting etc.

Just now, Sunderland AFC said:

YouTubers will be annoyed they might have to go and get a job. Most their money comes this time of year.

I mean, its fair enough. Although putting youre life in the hands of another company probably isnt wise. Content creators can create content no matter the game. This is an opportunity for these people to expand what they do. 

4 minutes ago, grade said:

One hand I'm disappointed, but on another I was not entirely shock, as this week draw to a close, there was no new announcement. I was beginning to toy with the idea of another delay.

Well I prefer a working game then the bug FM25 was actually was indicative of the first delay and the removal of features.

So with the said, I'm also the camp, that SI lost a good opportunity to move FM into the territory into a September release schedule for all future FMs. Why lost opportunity, because I do not see delaying any further, without SI looking bad as it is, since the marketing campaign of FM25 was horrendous.

I do not call for anyone to be fired, no matter how much I dislike Miles, but it shocks me that SI don't have a plan B for this case. A payed DLC of update rosters of the summer transfers... You would think someone like Miles and senior SI staff have learned their lessons with CM3 and CM4... Guess not, I think that ship as sailed away... I mean putting a payed DLC now, also will make them look bad and money hungry.

Curious, I would have bought the DLC in heartbeat, just to help them out.  Now I think the only solutions is keep it quite or make a free DLC has a gesture of good faith for the delay.

PS: I think it is good opportunity, they release FM25 in march at lower price, because we all know it will be glorified beta for FM26. Then release FM26 full price in September.

For the last time: this is not about women's football!!!!!!!!!! It is about adapting an entire game into new engine fault. To be fair it is the side I'm really disappointing about this delay... The endless debate of Women's football without any proper announcement was made will continue... Jesus... Let it go this poor excuse., please... for all is sacred, please let it go...

How do you know that the delay in part isn't due to woman's football inclusion?

Do you believe it takes so little resource to build an entirely new database of, players, stadiums, attendances, facilities etc not to mention, sponsors, kits, players, even the match engine might have to be different.

Not including entirely different player 3d graphics for women to men. 

Do you think it's so easy to build this out?

You habe to understand every person employee to do this is one person less to make the core game.

The issue as someone's son mentioned above is that when we play with a Nov Release we are hopeful and energised about the new players brought in to our fave clubs during the summer and excited to play the start of a new FM season a few months behind real life. Starting FM25 in March with many clubs close to knowing their fates / outside of top positions will leave many people despondent about playing FM25

1 minute ago, MrPompey said:

The issue as someone's son mentioned above is that when we play with a Nov Release we are hopeful and energised about the new players brought in to our fave clubs during the summer and excited to play the start of a new FM season a few months behind real life. Starting FM25 in March with many clubs close to knowing their fates / outside of top positions will leave many people despondent about playing FM25

As a Huddersfield fan I can confirm that come March I already highly dislike a lot of our players and they don't get anywhere near my squad on FM :D

1 minute ago, Nickg07 said:

Do you believe it takes so little resource to build an entirely new database of, players, stadiums, attendances, facilities etc not to mention, sponsors, kits, players, even the match engine might have to be different.

You habe to understand every person employee to do this is one person less to make the core game.

The FM game is the same for men and women, Women's football is really just the data. You could still release FM25 and later release a Women DB update if that was the case, a 4 month delay suggests something much more fundamental. Disappointing of course but nothing we can do...aside from FIFA 25 ;) 

1 minute ago, Domoboy23 said:

As a Huddersfield fan I can confirm that come March I already highly dislike a lot of our players and they don't get anywhere near my squad on FM :D

As a Pompey fan I've lost half my squad and most of the Jan transferred in players to injury :D 

1 minuto atrás, MrPompey disse:

The FM game is the same for men and women, Women's football is really just the data. You could still release FM25 and later release a Women DB update if that was the case, a 4 month delay suggests something much more fundamental. Disappointing of course but nothing we can do...aside from FIFA 25 ;) 

It won't be the same. They are developing a different match engine for both Men and Women. That's why there will be different roles for women and men. 

1 minute ago, MrPompey said:

But they had to create the database from scratch.

That's a huge undertaking. The amount of testing, research etc  is monumental. Plus design all the leagues, rules, reset things like transfer valuations etc which obviously can't use the same calculations as the mens game.

It all takes time.

6 minutes ago, StevehFC said:

A lot of the Youtubers aren't happy and they have right to be. 

Who cares what they think? They make videos for no purpose most of the time….they will be making one about this announcement and it will consist of reading “this announcement”. Pointless content for the brain dead.

21 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

eh, You'll ger a version March '25 for the 24/25 season that I'd expect to contain options to include / not include the Jan transfer window update. I'd then expect a FM26 released Nov 25 time if they revert to the original schedule

They can not release a game in March then only 8 months later release the next one.

That would be absurd.

The next game needs at least a shelf life of 12 months, they are better off scrapping a march release and release this new version in August next year for the 25/26 season.

1 minute ago, Rodrigogc said:

It won't be the same. They are developing a different match engine for both Men and Women. That's why there will be different roles for women and men. 

Even if that was the case then  the option exists to carry on and release the mens game, and release an update for women's later....... In any case you cant help think that FM25 released March '25 is going to generate a lot less sales than one in Nov '24

3 minutes ago, Dbuk1 said:

Who cares what they think? They make videos for no purpose most of the time….they will be making one about this announcement and it will consist of reading “this announcement”. Pointless content for the brain dead.

Lots of people are swayed by YouTubers so lots of people will care what they think...

1 minute ago, Jam_Man said:

They can not release a game in March then only 8 months later release the next one.

That would be absurd.

The next game needs at least a shelf life of 12 months, they are better off scrapping a march release and release this new version in August next year for the 25/26 season.

That would happen if FM25 is the blip they would want to return to Nov release. They would not move to a March release. I agree it might be worth scrapping a march release and wait for Nov 25 for FM 26 but Im sure for financial reasons, let alone contractual it just wont happen

5 minutes ago, Nickg07 said:

Do you know that the ENTIRE game is shifting to Unite Engine. It is not match engine and adaptation of women's football. It is everything. it Is the UI, it is Tactics, It is Transfers, it is... everything.

I can give you that women's football is another feature of the millions of features the game has, but we simply don't know what is it the entire game is giving the hard time for SI to delay it. maybe it is all of them, maybe it is the stability of running the game...

We don't know. I think venting and blaming one feature, seems way to harsh on that feature. 

4 minutes ago, grade said:

..And that is where you're mistaken when they switched from the 2D to 3D match engine - there were no delays back then. So why are there delays this time? Why remove the majority of the features that made the game what it is today? Adding women's football to the game isn't going to bring any significant value either. They had a whole year to work on this, so by now, the game should be in the polishing / finishing phases. No game can ever be released bug free. Yet, despite all this talk about transparency, they haven’t even explained why it’s been delayed to March 2025.

What’s the point of playing a game when it’s released so late in the football season, with the new version coming out in November anyway? They might as well focus on releasing a fully finished game in November. But of course, they can’t do that because they want our money.

5 minutes ago, Dbuk1 said:

Pretty ****** way to look at things. Because you dont find it interesting doesnt mean its not. You likely watch a ton of stuff people couldnt be arsed with.