FM 25 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

1 hour ago, davehanson said:

That isn’t what was said. People need to stop trying to turn everything into a sexist comment

This 'town' guy is either incapable of understanding what is written or is purposely mis quoting. Just ignore him 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hora atrás, Robbles Quin ®™ disse:

I think this is more closer to what's going on, and is constructive.

Even since a lot of the code is C++ to C++ and some C#, you have to remember that even if it is the same language, some sections of the code have got to be over 10 years old, maybe even 15. Coding language does change, things get simplified and things get redundant. sometimes what works in one application doesn't work in another. Sometimes it can also feel it everything is coming together until one simple problem comes along that undoes everything.

Then again NO ONE KNOWS WHAT IS GOING ON, for all we know it could be that the ball in the match engine is invisible :brock:, or everyone's Height is over 1000cm, although I would enjoy that. 

Oh, I would imagine that some of the code is the same as it was when they changed to 2d, which was more than 20 years ago

2 hours ago, HighFlyingDwarf said:

Which games?

F1 Manager, Motorsport Manager. - Not exactly comparable, as I feel level of detail in FM is still way ahead, but those games are comparable.

Draft Day Sports: Pro Basketball 2023, Football Coach: College Dynasty.

Keep in mind I haven't played these games, so I'm just basing it off off screenshots and videos. I don't know how the actual UX is, but it just looks way better, and it is more modern.

Edited by (sic)

6 minutes ago, (sic) said:

F1 Manager, Motorsport Manager. - Not exactly comparable, as I feel level of detail in FM is still way ahead, but those games are comparable.

Draft Day Sports: Pro Basketball 2023, Football Coach: College Dynasty.

Keep in mind I haven't played these games, so I'm just basing it off off screenshots and videos. I don't know how the actual UX is, but it just looks way better, and it is more modern.

Struggling to take this seriously because you mention Wolverine Games efforts which, all good will in the world to them, are not as polished as FM24. I have played many of their games and also Grey Dog Software's games.

F1 Manager is better, but far less detailed than FM. How do you maintain the balance between detail and UI?

1 hour ago, ajw10 said:

some people in this forum cannot see blatant misogyny - you've got no chance trying to explain subtle misogyny I'm afraid

Then you have the ones who’s imagining there’s misogony in every reply who doesn’t salute the inclusion of womens football as the greatest thing to ever have happened.

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is the database a constantly evolving thing though?

I don't think they have the old databases just taking up space somewhere tbh. 

There'll be back ups but dependent on the system used it might overwrite the current model and set it back as far back as March time.

I feel like its far more work than people are imagining to both reset everything back to FM24 standards then also do all the work again that they'd previous had between March and sometime before November to do.

Seeing as FM24 is still on sale then they should be keeping all databases for this edition. Just in case a bug turns out to be a security risk.

You are also not following basic logic. They do not have to set anything back to FM24 standards as the update will apply to the FM24 game and not to the FM25 game. All they have to do is to apply a data update to FM24 and NOT FM25!

Why is it so hard for you understand this update has nothing to do with what was has been done to FM25? We will be using the FM24 engine using the same method used when applying the update including the January 2024 transfer window. There is no reset needed. Appy the update to the latest version as they did with the January update. The only thing that may not be done is any changes to the attributes the FM24 game currently has.

It sounds like you are just making excuses for SI not to do what can be done and should be done. 

Edited by jcafcwbb

11 minutes ago, HighFlyingDwarf said:

Struggling to take this seriously because you mention Wolverine Games efforts which, all good will in the world to them, are not as polished as FM24. I have played many of their games and also Grey Dog Software's games.

F1 Manager is better, but far less detailed than FM. How do you maintain the balance between detail and UI?

Again, those are examples of how something should look like. I'm fully aware those games are not as detailed, which is also why I explicitly mentioned that.

I feel they've shown it to us already, that you will be able to customize what you see on your screen. 

If you feel like the game looks fine already, and that UI/UX is good, then that's your opinion. I disagree with that though.

As someone who has actually made custom skins for the past 4-5 years, I can tell you that it's a mess, that a lot of things aren't possible, and that the game would benefit from a revamped UI system.

The way it works now isn't great at all, both in terms of visuals and the UX. Again, if you feel otherwise, then you are entitled to your opinion. Keep in mind that SI themselves don't agree with that opinion either, because they are actually building a whole new UI with a new game engine.

So just wait for them to actually show us something from in-game that works, rather than basing your judgement off of 2 examples on the steam page, that aren't even real screenshots from a working in-game version. 

3 часа назад, HighFlyingDwarf сказал:

If I had my way again, 2000 hours of managing Lewes to Champions League glory would have been better placed in arts and crafts and the natural world

Well that's definitely a lifetime ban

1 hour ago, HighFlyingDwarf said:

Bingo! You can't have a tile-based UI and maintain FM's complexity. Well, you could but it would be insanely frustrating to play.

The shift to Unity and a new UI is a trojan horse inside which there is inevitably a dumbed-down version of the game. That's the issue.

3 hours ago, Velja93 said:

They added Japanese league last year full of bugs and with so many mistakes, and thats just one league.Imagine adding 10 leagues all new players , new database, rules.You are creating new database from scratch, not adding new league, that requires so much time and resources.Womans football is whole new universe, not adding another league.

l think they needed to work on unity couple more years and get us more polished fm 24, as fm 25 with maybe womens football and l think people would be ok with it.

Thats just my opinion.

To be fair though, that was more one me being new to the role, The amount of work required, understanding exactly how strong/weak the league/players are to balance it in between Asian nations, plus you know its the J.League, probably the most strict guys out there. got there in the end. any Japanese company, SEGA included, except nothing other than perfection really. for the nation that's about several hundred thousand changes that I have done since then so by the time of the FIFAe, it was a blast.

There are researches who do even more than me obviously so you can imagine the amount of data that is actually added into FM every year, its not like FIFA or eFootball, where you just update the attributes and slap on a player rating, in FM its literally added on, meaning the database just keeps getting larger which constantly requires testing to then filter out anything that crops up.

They effectively started the research on womens clubs etc, years ago, so from a researching standpoint, I very highly doubt that data is what is causing the delay

We don't know if even they were forced to use unity this year either, remember it is costing them a lot of money to develop this engine that SEGA approved and fronted these past 3 years, it would not surprise me if after delaying it for FM24, and now FM25 they forced the push or not. complete speculation though. SO until an actual update is released by SI, it really is close to impossible to know what the situation is.

17 hours ago, Robbie Hood said:

I feel this would be the correct way to do it. Release FM25 in march, and then FM25.1 in september. That way the game number finally matches the year. FM26 will then be released in september 2026.

Quote from Svein Kvernoey, Studio Technical Director, Sports Interactive:

"Don`t ask me exactly why we`re doing this thing where the product year is different to the actual year because that confuses ourselves sometimes as well."

Maybe that's why FM25 is so behind. They thought they had another year! 

2 hours ago, HighFlyingDwarf said:

What about their weight though?

what about 300kgs, lol. Then again them not showing it means more space on the UI and less data being blasted at you, weight was a cosmetic thing, so it really wasn't needed, as far as I know that is. 

22 hours ago, Robbie Hood said:

Great post!

Yes, SI have messed this up, but they now need our "help"

I normally never preorder the game, but in this difficult situation i am going to do just that! And i would urge everyone else that have enjoyed this great game over the years to do the same. 

I agree.
Great post from our Inter fan.

I'm angry - especially about the non-existent customer communication - but more than that I'm worried.

I want to be able to play FM in coming years  and therefore just now I've made a pre-order. 

23 minutes ago, Robbles Quin ®™ said:

To be fair though, that was more one me being new to the role, The amount of work required, understanding exactly how strong/weak the league/players are to balance it in between Asian nations, plus you know its the J.League, probably the most strict guys out there. got there in the end. any Japanese company, SEGA included, except nothing other than perfection really. for the nation that's about several hundred thousand changes that I have done since then so by the time of the FIFAe, it was a blast.

There are researches who do even more than me obviously so you can imagine the amount of data that is actually added into FM every year, its not like FIFA or eFootball, where you just update the attributes and slap on a player rating, in FM its literally added on, meaning the database just keeps getting larger which constantly requires testing to then filter out anything that crops up.

They effectively started the research on womens clubs etc, years ago,  so from a researching standpoint, I very highly doubt that data is what is causing the delay

We don't know if even they were forced to use unity this year either, remember it is costing them a lot of money to develop this engine that SEGA approved and fronted these past 3 years, it would not surprise me if after delaying it for FM24, and now FM25 they forced the push or not. complete speculation though. SO until an actual update is released by SI, it really is close to impossible to know what the situation is.

l know there is a lot of work.Personal information about every player, their attributes, its a lot of work just for one league.Then you have so many information about clubs, rivalries, and rules.We are aware of that.

People are gonna be furious if game in march is full of bugs and mistakes.

Thats my concern.To many things to be done, plus new engine.

Japanese league is now in a good state after some time.

This is not attack on you for Japanese league.Things need time to progress in right direction.

Cheers

Edited by Velja93

10 minutes ago, Hansaplast said:

I agree.
Great post from our Inter fan.

I'm angry - especially about the non-existent customer communication - but more than that I'm worried.

I want to be able to play FM in coming years  and therefore just now I've made a pre-order. 

I just preordered as well. Maybe i´m being naive about this, but the absolute worst case scenario is that we no longer have the game Football Manager...and looking at the competition not a single game comes even close to offering the quality of FM.

For me, this runs deeper than it just being a game. All the great excitement, joy and despair (in a good way) this game has given me for over 20 years can not be measured in money. 

I would also urge the content creators who might read this to encourge their viewers to preorder the game! I think some of the FM content creators are doing great work and they don`t want to see their income shrink, so they ask viewers to keep watching and supporting their channel in what will be difficult times ahead. The same applies to FM: let`s support this great game in difficult times - the thought of there being no FM at all in the future is really sad compared to the delay of FM25...

37 minutes ago, Robbie Hood said:

I just preordered as well. Maybe i´m being naive about this, but the absolute worst case scenario is that we no longer have the game Football Manager...and looking at the competition not a single game comes even close to offering the quality of FM.

What competition? There is no proper competition. And I honestly think FM would be better if there was some competition. Just look at Civ. It is by far the biggest and most succesfull (historical)4X, and its recent competitors (Ara, Humankind, Millenia), havent come close to it. But they do look at other games and think "what did they got right/ wrong, and what can be better in our games?"

By contrast, FIFA career mode has been a dud for a decade.-->  No competition.

Also, dont worry about not being there an FM anymore. This is a product with a potential market of 10m buyers/players. If SI or sega pull the plug on it, another developper will fill up the space. If we're unlucky, it will be EA. But it could also be a develloper who doesnt care about FM esports....

3 hours ago, jcafcwbb said:

The only thing that may not be done is any changes to the attributes the FM24 game currently has.

That would be quite something effort and resource-wise, and in any case I believe already there's at least one if not several already done somewhere in the community.

I would secure those and play on if i'm really into the latest updates and such.

Edited by spursfan
phrasing for clarity

Comparing attendances between the womans and the men’s game is alot more nuanced then checking the figures at International matches or Arsenal womans etc. The price to watch the womans game is very cheap compared to the men’s game so theoretically every top flight game should be a full house. The men’s game has a deep rooted history which is where the real tribalism comes from and the psychology behind the reason we support are teams etc. The woman’s game has a very long way to go and might not be able long term to continue to take all the free money it receives and will need to receive to grow and grow. The future is not certain. The woman’s game might reach a cap on interest and then the money stops coming. Either way im not that bothered and hope the quality continues to improve for the sake of interest.

On 11/10/2024 at 15:54, TownForThePrem! said:

If you think SI didn't hire people either with knowledge of Unity or specifically people to help with the Unity transition, in favour of hiring a team to build a women's database, then I have a bridge to sell you. 

They hired people specifically to develop women's football. I'm sure they also hired Unity experts. 

I'd suggest, given the results, they didn't do that in an optimal way...

17 minutes ago, BJG123 said:

They hired people specifically to develop women's football. I'm sure they also hired Unity experts. 

I'd suggest, given the results, they didn't do that in an optimal way...

They did hire people from the Unity field, if you watch the Unity Unite video, they somewhat describe the process they used/use.

Unity have also released updates that make the work for SI easier, or less that they have to do with an in house solution. Let's say Unity works fine, it is also very possible the inhouse solutions for things that are not doable in unity is the hard part, because it is like running an app though another app and making them compatible with each other (obviously a lot more complicated). 

People also need to know, its not one UI, football manager is built from thousands of UI working together to display spreadsheet data, that is optimized extensively that is as fluid as it can be. If anyone has tried using an excel spreadsheet with a few hundred thousand rows, its basically unusable, slow and often in my case with a very modern PC, just freezes. I would also think, because it is Unity, they would have to optimize the UI's, as many as they are, to read this spreadsheet data, filter only the needed information so that its not slowed down, display the data correctly with each UI that it interacts with, and update pretty much in real time, either each time you press continue, or enter some UI or profile. just a Players Name would be on a lot of UIs, profile, search, team, league, national team, biography etc to name a very few specific examples.

36 minutes ago, Robbles Quin ®™ said:

They did hire people from the Unity field, if you watch the Unity Unite video, they somewhat describe the process they used/use.

Unity have also released updates that make the work for SI easier, or less that they have to do with an in house solution. Let's say Unity works fine, it is also very possible the inhouse solutions for things that are not doable in unity is the hard part, because it is like running an app though another app and making them compatible with each other (obviously a lot more complicated). 

People also need to know, its not one UI, football manager is built from thousands of UI working together to display spreadsheet data, that is optimized extensively that is as fluid as it can be. If anyone has tried using an excel spreadsheet with a few hundred thousand rows, its basically unusable, slow and often in my case with a very modern PC, just freezes. I would also think, because it is Unity, they would have to optimize the UI's, as many as they are, to read this spreadsheet data, filter only the needed information so that its not slowed down, display the data correctly with each UI that it interacts with, and update pretty much in real time, either each time you press continue, or enter some UI or profile. just a Players Name would be on a lot of UIs, profile, search, team, league, national team, biography etc to name a very few specific examples.

I hope when it's time I can secure a decent laptop that would encounter those 'freezes' much less frequently -- I'm currently using a dinosaur of a lagtop that has been known to take like half an hour for a process (one click of the Continue). 

2 hours ago, Robbie Hood said:

For me, this runs deeper than it just being a game. All the great excitement, joy and despair (in a good way) this game has given me for over 20 years can not be measured in money. 

I would also urge the content creators who might read this to encourge their viewers to preorder the game! I think some of the FM content creators are doing great work and they don`t want to see their income shrink, so they ask viewers to keep watching and supporting their channel in what will be difficult times ahead. The same applies to FM: let`s support this great game in difficult times - the thought of there being no FM at all in the future is really sad compared to the delay of FM25...

I would have expected someone with such a name to be taking from the rich and giving to the poor, rather than encouraging us poor to take from ourselves and give freely to the big profit-hungry software developer :p

Edited by vrig

25 minutes ago, vrig said:

I would have expected someone with such a name to be taking from the rich and giving to the poor, rather than encouraging us poor to take from ourselves and give freely to the big profit-hungry software developer :p

SI is barely breaking even as it is.
The real fat cat is EA :onmehead:

The silver lining here is that those god-awful new UI screenshots are probably not the real version and just a concept. I'm hanging from a thread hoping that they won't go ahead with that monstrousity of a UI. Or i'll just be stuck on FM24 forever

8 hours ago, davehanson said:

I think you are oversimplifying how much work has had to go into adding women’s football. It isn’t just like adding a new league at all. SI have already said that adding women’s football has cost/will cost millions. And they began working on it 3 years (I think) ago. 

It's the same but on a much larger scale. Most of that money is hiring staff, doing the 3D body movement scans, and buying licences. 

5 hours ago, jcafcwbb said:

Seeing as FM24 is still on sale then they should be keeping all databases for this edition. Just in case a bug turns out to be a security risk.

You are also not following basic logic. They do not have to set anything back to FM24 standards as the update will apply to the FM24 game and not to the FM25 game. All they have to do is to apply a data update to FM24 and NOT FM25!

Why is it so hard for you understand this update has nothing to do with what was has been done to FM25? We will be using the FM24 engine using the same method used when applying the update including the January 2024 transfer window. There is no reset needed. Appy the update to the latest version as they did with the January update. The only thing that may not be done is any changes to the attributes the FM24 game currently has.

It sounds like you are just making excuses for SI not to do what can be done and should be done. 

There will be fundamental changes with the game that have been getting changed in the database, with the database itself evolving, since March.

I don't believe they can just "roll back" to FM24 spec anymore as i dont think the database is just an excel file sitting waiting to be edited. It'll be something that's constantly being edited and amended to match FM25 requirements both in terms of what data is entered and how the data is processed.

The way it would work for FM24 will no longer exist as at the last data lock they'll have start moving it to FM25 spec.

It's another issue brought up by the change of engine and I think the only way the can update 24 is rolling the whole system and database back to the last data lock and lose ~7 months worth of work, which would push FM25 back even further.

16 minutes ago, armbi said:

Ok, so the week of 7th October almost gone and we have nothing from promised news. Is there any statememt that we can count on or the only certain thing are preorders?

You can count on that little statement, in case you missed it(?), where they said the game is being further delayed to March 2025 🤷🏻‍♂️😅

17 minutes ago, armbi said:

Ok, so the week of 7th October almost gone and we have nothing from promised news. Is there any statememt that we can count on or the only certain thing are preorders?

they pushed all reveals for fm25 till january.

4 minutes ago, Kevinho7 said:

You can count on that little statement, in case you missed it(?), where they said the game is being further delayed to March 2025 🤷🏻‍♂️😅

I understood the message about postponing the game's release date.

4 minutes ago, Arnar said:

they pushed all reveals for fm25 till january.

Oh, I missed it. But since they postponed the premiere of the game, it would be worth giving the fans something, anything at the promised time, I guess we can assume that the teasers were ready...

Are SI going to provide a data update for FM24, a patch but a more detailed one with the right teams in the correct divisons for 24/25 season not just player transfers and loans

Many users pre ordered FM25 following the ill fated announcement the game would be released in November, surely SI can provide something like an update to carry things over as a sign of good faith until a new version is eventually released.

My other question is due to the long delay in the release of FM25 do SI really expect customers to pay for one version in March and buy another one  a few months later or are there plans to move the date of future releases or provide substantial discounts [because by the time FM25 is fully patched each version usually gets 3 major patches..... FM26 will be out]

cheers

14 hours ago, HighFlyingDwarf said:

She should go outside and play in what remains of the sun. If I had my way again, 2000 hours of managing Lewes to Champions League glory would have been better placed in arts and crafts and the natural world.

Wow... what a crash landing :thdn:

11 hours ago, Fat_Frank8 said:

Then you have the ones who’s imagining there’s misogony in every reply who doesn’t salute the inclusion of womens football as the greatest thing to ever have happened.

Because not praising it IS an example of misogyny,  a literal dictionary definition one.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't believe they can just "roll back" to FM24 spec anymore as i dont think the database is just an excel file sitting waiting to be edited. It'll be something that's constantly being edited and amended to match FM25 requirements both in terms of what data is entered and how the data is processed.

What else would it be? The screenshots from FM25 don't seem to imply they're changing the player stats they track in any way, with the exception of weight. Unless weight does something we don't know about, I reckon it's just a case of inputting the data into FM24 in whatever way they do it every year. 

The reason they won't update the FM24 database is because it then makes people less likely to purchase FM25. If you've got an updated database on a game that is familiar and works, why spend £45 for another version of the game that seems to have a lot of problems and will be obsolete within six months? You've still got this season's saves going, just save your money and wait til all the bugs are fixed in FM26.

The truth of the matter is, few things in this life come free and an updated database for this season is probably one of those things.

I think it is precisely the other way around: they should update fm24 because I don't think people are willing to buy fm25. No matter fm25 will be an excellent transition of the worst, SI will have to deliver something until march 2025, so it does not matter if fm25 will be ready or not.

3 hours ago, Roy Race 9 said:

My other question is due to the long delay in the release of FM25 do SI really expect customers to pay for one version in March and buy another one  a few months later or are there plans to move the date of future releases or provide substantial discounts [because by the time FM25 is fully patched each version usually gets 3 major patches..... FM26 will be out]

Well, they did exactly this with CM4 and people bought both versions, seven or eight months apart, in droves (even after CM4 was a bug-infested mess). So they have some evidence - albeit 20 years old - that this strategy is survivable.

There's no way they move future releases permanently, regardless - the entire rhythm of the game (e.g., transfer windows) and the real-life football season (i.e., consumer demand) is built on a fall timing.

5 hours ago, armbi said:

Oh, I missed it. But since they postponed the premiere of the game, it would be worth giving the fans something, anything at the promised time, I guess we can assume that the teasers were ready...

No further news until January probably..

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's the same but on a much larger scale. Most of that money is hiring staff, doing the 3D body movement scans, and buying licences. 

There will be fundamental changes with the game that have been getting changed in the database, with the database itself evolving, since March.

The way it would work for FM24 will no longer exist as at the last data lock they'll have start moving it to FM25 spec.

It's another issue brought up by the change of engine and I think the only way the can update 24 is rolling the whole system and database back to the last data lock and lose ~7 months worth of work, which would push FM25 back even further.

You say you don't think the FM24 database is just 'an excel file somewhere waiting to be edited', yet you must seem to believe it is a single file that just gets worked on all the time, which is the reason (by your logic) why they can't roll it back? What? :lol:

They will have master data files at various stages stored probably in different places, hell, even Sega might have some data stored securely somewhere for it. SI themselves would need different versions to be able to rollback in case of errors, for starters. And there is no way in hell there is only a single data set with all this information on, that's a truly terrible way to manage your data. Plus, even if we did take your version as being correct (let's indulge it), you do realise if they really needed to get the FM24 database back they could, I don't know, buy a copy of the game and download the updates and then I'm sure access the .exe to then get into the data. I mean, if people in the community can do database updates and changes to CM01/02 still, then SI can definitely update FM24 if they wanted to.

I should say that I don't for a second expect they will, mind - but they absolutely could.

4 hours ago, Roy Race 9 said:

Are SI going to provide a data update for FM24, a patch but a more detailed one with the right teams in the correct divisons for 24/25 season not just player transfers and loans

That would be very unlikely -- anyway there are already available FM25 databases done by the community.

57 minutes ago, jscjr said:

Well, they did exactly this with CM4 and people bought both versions, seven or eight months apart, in droves (even after CM4 was a bug-infested mess). So they have some evidence - albeit 20 years old - that this strategy is survivable.

Yup, I'd be one of those (now I can't find it as we'd moved several times since then) lol

2 hours ago, spursfan said:

That would be very unlikely -- anyway there are already available FM25 databases done by the community.

Yup, I'd be one of those (now I can't find it as we'd moved several times since then) lol

it shouldnt be down to 'the community' to do it SI should be doing it

23 minutes ago, Roy Race 9 said:

it shouldnt be down to 'the community' to do it SI should be doing it

Should? I don't know about that.
Would? I don't see that coming anytime soon.
Could? probably, but it's already been done, so why duplicate efforts?

How about FM25 and future versions, who could/should/would do that?
It's SI for all three, and no one else.

I'd rather they focus on what they are set up for to do, no more scope for distractions/excuses -- that's the big picture.

8 hours ago, armbi said:

We can and already did speculate the teasers showed zero of the game...then they delayed the game so we were probably spot on.