[FM24] Football Italia

_Ben_

20 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

In my save I am seeing lots of shots and poor accuracy could that be your problem as well?

20 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Here too.

I, honestly, wasn't sure of what the answer was and wanted to give you something more than a 'it'll sort itself' - so I did some research...

image.thumb.png.ee2e9afbdd041efbe9adf5452f1f8f74.png

We're converting one in ten shots - eighteenth best in the league but we have taken the most shots (gold) and have scored the fifth most goals (blue) in the league. Not great, to be honest. So I then decided to try and pinpoint where, in my team, this high volume, poor quality shooting is coming from:

image.thumb.png.fbfdb8e38dab584c24a024fac9c05e7c.png

Langoni is lucky - his conversion rate is way above the league average but that is evened out by Owusu's, who's is well below. It's interesting that I was blaming him but now I look at it this way, he's getting lots of shots off and they are in good positions - he's just either not good enough or is out of form and confidence. There are bits of both, definitely, but I do think it's more likely to be the latter. Biagioni is getting into decent places but is the outlier in terms of conversion when compared to the other AMCs - Santos, Langoni and Vinci.

My initial thoughts turn to Bellino, who is well down on previous seasons, but can do it:

image.png.16ca39f7318079e038067e9d747f67c9.png

He's shown that he can score in Serie B so it's not like there's been a step up in quality, but, overall, his game has slipped a little. An xA underperformance of 1.19 this season shows that it's not just his shooting that is dipping, although, looking at the positions of his shots in his last eight:

image.thumb.png.58e5df5ce79ac3100ae422b9f876ab5b.png

image.thumb.png.a6de91739628803ed7ccb17da4294d0f.png

I'm not, actually that concerned. These overheads don't provide the full picture of where the rest of the team is but there is nothing, aside from maybe top left, that looks like a really, really low percentage long shot. Maybe a drastic measure but one that I could see helping us is by adding a player trait:

Looks for pass rather than attempting to score.

image.png.6642e7f99672ac6186a94410f84d83f5.png

The coaching staff seem to think it'll be a good idea..

Cubarsi - the other volume shooter with poor xG threat, on the other hand...

Lots of missed headers from corners. So his shots, naturally lower xG as headers are, just aren't hitting the target. Combine that with our already-noted set piece goals and connections, I think that it's maybe time for Vittorio Rago to be upgraded.

- - -

I think I've got a plan - thanks for being a sounding board!

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

I think that is my issue (without digging deeper or treading on your toes). The low xG headers from my target men are not helping in the slightest

Whatever was said just so happened to work...

image.png.a70e32cc0e8711333eeb614201c2f524.png

Corrects that xG tally by 1.56!

image.png.2ea94647e4db5c827627454cca389bc7.png

Season Six: More tactical ideas?!

January has come and gone and I've been somewhat in limbo, worrying about what I want to do and how I want to do it. With that, recruitment foci got put on the backburner as I hoped to be able to cure my issues with what I already have. Whilst that might be good for the longer term cohesion of the team, I am aware that it is a gamble, given that I do need to do something to alleviate some of the issues. I did, however, make use of a recent scouting mission - where I decided to get on board with the current top academies and permanently base a scout in Spain to look at the youth leagues. Important to those leagues are a number of clubs who exist solely to participate at youth levels and have no senior sides. I purchased two players from one such club.

image.png.2ac2a73ebbb68402844008336effb83c.png

With Barcelona to Messina not actually being a huge trip, I spent €15k combined on Eloi Aspar and Josep Colell from CF Damm, a renowned youth side who have produced several players who played for Barca and others who have made steps at the highest level elsewhere. Whilst neither player is expected to reach absolute greatness, they are both young, academy lads who fit in with the type of players I am after and, if all else fails, could be sold for a profit further down the line.

Joining them, I slightly reshuffled my coaching team.

image.png.e7e16ebb5b80979e2f6661ce548087e4.png

Simone Magrí  - the effervescent long haired Italian - becomes the new set piece coach and I'm looking at seeing the impact of his signing, given some recent thoughts about our overall set piece performance. I am only able to find percentage success rates for attacking corners, but, if I assume that 100 corners have been taken - nineteen have been successfully met at the near post, six in the middle and fifteen at the far post, giving us a 40% success rate. 8.8% of goals - 0.13 per game - have come from corners with no direct free kicks and two (5.9% at 0.08 per game) have come from indirect free kicks. I'll look back at the end of the season and see if this madman has produced any successes - as he should, taking home 300% more than the man he replaced! Filippo Bua also joins the staff as I look to build a stronger, more experienced backroom team.

- - -

image.thumb.png.b4394b8170bd87be03b2b535def560a1.png

image.thumb.png.f4bef646512106794765f82001ec4855.png

Inconsistent is very much still the word. In a matter of games, we can go from beating Lecce - away from home - to barely turning up at home. Draws with Parma and Modena, both above us, are important but I cannot write this without paying special attention to two games: our dismantling of a pretty strong Lazio side in the cup, arguably the biggest win of my career, and absolutely tearing Brescia apart in a tactical masterclass that I wanted to break down:

image.png.e8c7ebb8ddd94bf7ccfff84edf47bc9e.png

With injuries galore and still questions over Owusu's quality and performance, I wanted to mix it up. I initially felt that a F9(s) would work best here but I didn't completely want to make my striker a link up player, so went with the DLF(s) to ensure some goalscoring output would remain. Initially, I noticed that, in early transition and build up playVinci was noticeably deeper than Santos. I thought that this was odd being as neither have a particular preference to drop deep so put it down to some clever off the ball movement by my academy lad. Furthermore, the depth between the attacking five, knowing that Biagioni would drop deeper and Vinci and Santos would run in behind, plus whatever ball carrying ability Bellino can add from the VOL(s) role meant that I felt less worried about having to try and coax that out of a fairly Vanilla AM(s). With Biagioni dropping off, I could spend our transition making the pitch narrow and grouping together but bursting apart. When Vinci occupied their DM, it created a 3v2 with Cubarsi playing as a L(s) - but, given his narrowness, later a WCB(s) - meant that we had even more build up options.

Again - this is an option and I like to have a team that has this variety of options. My key players - based off form - don't play in these roles that are changeable so I can get away with this kind of rotation, I think...

That leaves the table looking like this:

image.thumb.png.d6d9f15435ae4a4a40f4f0ffc0b5b01d.png

Still not where we should be, according to expected goals. But, on paper, just not consistently doing it right. The next month sees a nice southern twist as we play Catania, Palermo and Taranto as well as a trip to Sardinia to face Cagliari. If the table ends like this, we'll face an extra playoff tie against whoever finishes in eighth and then enter the rounds, something which I really do not feel confident about! But it is what it is and I'm enjoying this journey!

Forza Biancoscudati!

image.png.2c2f8d2ac0d53eca1d9d2ede959abb54.png

Season Six: More tears, but, this time, into a big pile of money...

I can't believe that I'm through six seasons now with Messina as we finish our third in Serie B. Along the way, things ticked over quite nicely: Bellino finished working towards his trait and we added Niccolo Pisilli on a free transfer. His profile is what I am looking to do over the summer - bulk up the rotational players within the squad. He brings nearly 100 games of experience in Serie A with Roma, having played (mostly as a sub) in every league game a couple of seasons gone. On the pitch, things also took a positive turn:

image.thumb.png.2566a6def1c4bc4c9b69c61f8a61d9c7.png

image.thumb.png.674f9e8ce2fc951fd939d303cf7b9bd6.png

Just one defeat in the final ten and some resounding wins where our new attacking shape caused endless problems for defences. Beautiful interplay meant that the games were easy to watch and we powered through in one long session, enjoying the ride. Moving Owusu back to a shadow striker for the last few matches of the season seems to have really boosted his confidence and this actually gives me a really good alternative - with now four players: Langoni, Vinci, Owusu and Santos who could play there, if I move Biagioni permanently to the striker role.

But then came the playoffs...

image.png.2965226ea4f63823a9484925a594ac10.png

For context, in each of the last two seasons, we've made the playoffs and lost. Each of those times, our form was slightly indifferent in the run in. But this time was different. Full of confidence and a fit and ready squad. Until Matteo Esposito decided that a fractured skull would be the way he'd spend the summer. With no other fit keepers, I was left with 16-year old Palazollowho, honestly, did a commendable job on debut. However, he should've saved Fernandez' shot from the edge of the area that took the wind out of our sails and consigned us to another season at this level.

Our team statistics are strong but just need some more consistency in front of goal and a bit more luck defending and I'm sure things will be fine..

image.png.bad8aa145de1caf3047dfa9309c9b94d.png

At the other end of the table, Palermo suffered successive relegations, whereas last year's eighth placed side, Taranto, dropped into Serie C and Spezia continued their fall from Serie A.

- - -

But then..an interesting development!

image.png.5e07da4982821a4d6e50bfe51144b61c.png

I've literally never managed a club with a tycoon takeover in all of my time playing FM. I thought that this, too, was going to pass as interest cooled but, in the end, the takeover was complete. The Hong Kong consortium brought with them outlandish demands, a new stadium (bringing our capacity down from 38k - with just 8k used - to 12k but, ultimately, a stadium that is no longer derelict), an affiliate club, €50m in the bank and agreed improvements to the infrastructure of the youth and training facilities.

But, here they are...

image.png.550a33a16fb083a7c4be39ab4e6a44ff.png

I'm really hoping that this does not derail my normal way of playing FM - spending prudently and keeping things tight. I know that, from the off, I'll probably no longer need to worry about the wage bill and I can probably sign whoever I want, although, as of now, my budgets haven't been announced. What I'd really like - and, honestly, what I'm already seeing - is a board who want to build this club up and help me grow the brand of Messina and, ultimately, Sicily.

For the first time though, I'm heading into the summer with some pressure to get things right!

Forza Biancoscudati!

Another very decent season, just falling short by a small margin again. Great news on the takeover with what has been mentioned already, and yes hopefully they won't want to go completely mad and will allow you to build up on a gradual basis as you are now.

Edit: i forgot to add that Pisilli is an excellent signing on a free transfer. I looked very closely at him for my side but went elsewhere at the time. Great recruitment there.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

It's a challenging situation. I think your thinking is quote similar to mine and that amount of money is obviously tempting to splash. I have done it a couple of times that I've spent too much and then on the other hand immediately lost the interest in the save. 

Anyway, this takeover should seal your place in Serie A as you will be able to have a strong team for sure. 

Really nice timing for that in the save. Going into Season 4 in Serie B you're conforming to Top 8. Clearly we've seen you have potential but just haven't reached it fully yet. I was going to say I don't remember a situation like this, but Como also got bought by rich Asian investors (Indonesia's Richest Family, why they were sponsored by Mola.) Also spent 3 years in Serie B before promotion. Guessing by the fact you got 50m to spend in a single season before promotion you were probably bought by one of Hong Kong's richest people. And, compared to American investment in Serie A, both you and Como seem to have gotten pretty lucky. Take this in pride!

1 hour ago, danielgear said:

Nice time for a takeover Ben, I know you’ll make use of the bounty with smart recruitment 

1 hour ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Another very decent season, just falling short by a small margin again. Great news on the takeover with what has been mentioned already, and yes hopefully they won't want to go completely mad and will allow you to build up on a gradual basis as you are now.

1 hour ago, El Payaso said:

Anyway, this takeover should seal your place in Serie A as you will be able to have a strong team for sure. 

Thanks all.

Yeah, I think it has come at the right time. I don't want, nor need, all of that money and I really hope that the board aren't expecting it all to be spent! I've done some research into the types of tycoons - front end: PSG, Man City etc, back end: Birmingham (eww), most Saudi clubs and then underwriters: Villa, Nice, the majority of Championship clubs etc - and I hope that I've got one of the underwriter types. I just don't want to be forced into doing a Chelsea under Roman or a PSG because it's not what I enjoy!

1 hour ago, El Payaso said:

It's a challenging situation. I think your thinking is quote similar to mine and that amount of money is obviously tempting to splash. I have done it a couple of times that I've spent too much and then on the other hand immediately lost the interest in the save. 

If anything - I'll get bored by spending too much money on youngsters. In my eyes, there's nothing less realistic (except for Chelsea) in spending €10m+ on 16 year olds for the youth squad. If it comes to that, I know I'll have gone too far!

- - -

1 hour ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Edit: i forgot to add that Pisilli is an excellent signing on a free transfer. I looked very closely at him for my side but went elsewhere at the time. Great recruitment there.

I really rate him and his traits. Good solid squad player in his prime and cheap, too.

27 minutes ago, Waffle18 said:

Really nice timing for that in the save. Going into Season 4 in Serie B you're conforming to Top 8. Clearly we've seen you have potential but just haven't reached it fully yet. I was going to say I don't remember a situation like this, but Como also got bought by rich Asian investors (Indonesia's Richest Family, why they were sponsored by Mola.) Also spent 3 years in Serie B before promotion. Guessing by the fact you got 50m to spend in a single season before promotion you were probably bought by one of Hong Kong's richest people. And, compared to American investment in Serie A, both you and Como seem to have gotten pretty lucky. Take this in pride!

Thanks for some context.

I know that Como are making some moves in real life and have Cesc Fabregas, among others, involved. In game, they never made Serie A (as they have this season IRL) and slipped into Serie C before back to back promotions and have just finished dead last in Serie A, getting absolutely battered. They've also been in administration and have an all-Italian board so this feels very alternate universe kind of job!

I just really worry about these kind of investors and, sadly, have really low expectations of Asian investment. As a Villa fan, Tony Xia nearly put the club out of business and I've watched (with a smile) at what the Chinese investors have done at Birmingham. Then you've got the likes of Peter Lim at Valencia, Vincent Tan at Cardiff (imagine if we turned our colours to be pink like rivals Palermo!) and a succession of others.

What I really want here is a group of investors, who, for immersion reasons I've got down as working for AIA - Spurs' sponsor and a big Hong Kong company - to come in, bring some sponsorships (new kits will be made), improve the facilities here and back me financially when I need it! Again, as a Villa fan, I'm riding the crest of the wave with some wonderful ownership and I want to see that replicated here.

The only substantial problem I see is the board's demands. On one hand, it makes sense considering their investment, on the other hand, it might force you to spend a bit more and subsequently play differently compared to what you're used to.

It could be worse: Imagine if they wanted you to sign players from Hong Kong without being able to load the country :lol:

Ultimately, I understand where you're coming from, usually, I don't particularly appreciate managing with that sort of expectations.

5 minutes ago, BillHoudini24 said:

The only substantial problem I see is the board's demands. On one hand, it makes sense considering their investment, on the other hand, it might force you to spend a bit more and subsequently play differently compared to what you're used to.

It could be worse: Imagine if they wanted you to sign players from Hong Kong without being able to load the country :lol:

Ultimately, I understand where you're coming from, usually, I don't particularly appreciate managing with that sort of expectations.

It's an odd one, isn't it! They've actually only given me €2.5m of the €50m investment as a transfer budget and are standing firm on increasing it! Which, whilst feeling a little counter productive, probably helps me in the long run for my style of play.

I've looked at loading the HK league but, aside from a couple of strikers - one born in Germany and the other in the USA - their squad and quality is utterly awful.

I've never had a tycoon takeover either.  Actually, I'm glad that I've never had one.  I'm not sure the short-term demands of the owners (and usually rightfully so given what they poured into the club) match up with the long-term development of the players already at the club.

16 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

I've never had a tycoon takeover either.  Actually, I'm glad that I've never had one.  I'm not sure the short-term demands of the owners (and usually rightfully so given what they poured into the club) match up with the long-term development of the players already at the club.

True. It's going to make for an interesting season now that they've demanded promotion and, in the next five years, security in Serie A and, for whatever reason, have not increased the wage or transfer budget - leaving me scrambling around for ways to improve on a sixth placed finish!

In that, though, it adds another dimension to the save and certainly adds some pressure to my job!

51 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

True. It's going to make for an interesting season now that they've demanded promotion and, in the next five years, security in Serie A and, for whatever reason, have not increased the wage or transfer budget - leaving me scrambling around for ways to improve on a sixth placed finish!

In that, though, it adds another dimension to the save and certainly adds some pressure to my job!

Pressure makes diamonds!

On 24/08/2024 at 12:42, _Ben_ said:

I'm really hoping that this does not derail my normal way of playing FM - spending prudently and keeping things tight. I know that, from the off, I'll probably no longer need to worry about the wage bill and I can probably sign whoever I want, although, as of now, my budgets haven't been announced. What I'd really like - and, honestly, what I'm already seeing - is a board who want to build this club up and help me grow the brand of Messina and, ultimately, Sicily.

I have played with a Tycoon-ish takeover, and happily I never swayed from my way of signing bargains or, to be exact - Wise, calculated signings, not necessarily flashy ones. It's nice having the stability behind such a takeover to assure you that you can navigate the market a little more freely. I always bump up my scouting budget to about x2.5 from the maximum option.

Edited by Slipky

13 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

I fear for your future at Messina. I know my board have been a little demanding recently and that has not been fun.

*IF* Il licenziamento happens, what's the plan?

I'm feeling optimistic! My playing time has slowed a little but, so far, pre-season has been strong. I've not been able to recruit necessarily who I wanted but I'm finding opportunities within the squad. I am confident because, on paper, we've been the best team for the past two years but just really unlucky. If I can get the last few pieces of the jigsaw together, I think we can do this!

43 minutes ago, Slipky said:

I have played with a Tycoon-ish takeover, and happily I never swayed from my way of signing bargains or, to be exact - Wise, calculated signings, not necessarily flashy ones. It's nice having the stability behind such a takeover to assure you that you can navigate the market a little more freely. I always bump up my scouting budget to about x2.5 from the maximum option.

This is exactly what I am hoping for. Funding to make the club (not necessarily the team) the best it can be. I wonder if the planning for the new stadium that I asked for took away from the transfer budget - but, if that is the case, then I'm more than happy to go along with it! I want Messina, the football club, to be the best it can be: that means scouting setup, coaching, facilities, youth squad, sponsorships etc. I'll deal with the first XI and our performances on the pitch as long as the board can back the rest!

Posted (edited)

image.png.d88b7adf8b4683bfec14ddd8dff32125.png

Season Seven: High hopes - on a budget...

I signed my own new contract - to ensure some stability in the short term, if nothing more - but said goodbye to four first team players from last season. With such lofty ambitions, I wanted to be cut throat and, with that, I simply cannot carry players who are just there to fill up the numbers. Aging trio MarchegianiMarchetti and Tumminello all left with my blessings but first team Tripaldelli left a slightly sour taste in my mouth. A key part of the squad for the past couple of years but getting on a little, he was unwilling to sit down and talk across the entirety of last season and, when he finally did, demanded to be a key player and earn over €15k a week. An amount that I was simply not willing to pay.

As we rolled into the new season, I was shocked that the transfer bounty I was promised simply did not materialise. Given just under €3m and a wage budget allowing little wiggle room, along with lofty ambitions, I knew I had be clever. I think I've done what I set out to achieve with five new signings, four of which will be within the first team. The new signings are also showing off the new kits, thanks to a new Adidas manufacturer and a sponsor from Hong Kong based company AIA.

image.png.ba47a167c2ac9452bf1a95917bf3d18f.png

Bruno Zapelli was the first arrival, on a free transfer following the expiration of his Marseille contract. I had already pinpointed him before the takeover and, as such, was pleased when my recruitment team were able to seal a deal on less than the then-mandated maximum wage of €10k p/w. There's a fairly lofty loyalty bonus within his contract but, with the money in the bank rather than the transfer budget, that's not a me problem! I think he's a player who has really lost his way since coming to Europe for €6.5m in 2025. Some minutes in France and a loan to Braga is all he has to show but, in his highlight real - where he played most as a 10 - I think he's got the ability to change games for me. I envisage, given his traits, that he'll play the DLF(s) role, feeding the two shadow strikers but also being able to finish himself. I'll take his integration slow, being as he's got to learn this new role, but I'm quite excited!

Mateo Morro is a solid second choice keeper, who, when I was researching him, was called up to the full Argentina squad at just 17 and is a pretty hot prospect in real life. He's somewhat stalled but did play 26 games for Guingamp in Ligue 1 last year, showing that he does have pedigree. It's a lot - a record fee - for a backup but this will happen a lot over the next few years, I feel.

Souleymane Traore will join the youth setup after leaving my scouts raving about his ball carrying ability. I've said it many times during my threads but, as a Villa fan, I often draw comparisons and I feel his height, balance and speed on the ball makes him somewhat similar to what Morgan Rogers is currently doing, albeit not anywhere near as strong. I like central runners - currently - and I think he's got the right base.

image.png.d84c7ee599df1c5fb0562d2282edd964.png

Still short of ideas, I used the loan market to cement a couple of more experienced heads, funding them with the sale of Carboni, who, tactically, I feel we have left behind a little. 

Alexandro Bernabei heads in on a €90k pcm loan from League One Stoke, where he can no longer get a work permit. As a sweetener for the fact that I'm only paying 20% (€5k) of his wages, there is an optional clause to make this permanent for €21m, which, quite obviously, I have little interest in paying. I've been thinking - more on this below - about how my wing backs play and have moved away from the traditional kind of player but did want someone who is that role, just in case!

Facundo Colidio is a bit of an FM legend, I think. He's moved back to River Plate - in game - and is doing ok but has found himself on the transfer list. Again, I've played the game here - offering just 10% (€5k) of his massive wage packet but upped the optional fee to €10m, which is four million more than his current list price. At 30, I'd have to consider this a risky deal should I want to make this one permanent next summer but that will depend on how well he performs, covering, initially, for two-month injuries to both Langoni and Owusu, picked up during our successful pre-season campaign.

That campaign has also led to some unexpected bonuses, which I think has saved me some significant money this summer:

image.png.8bbcdfa7b1ea8703aaf6bdf35ef2ef1a.png

Initially, I started training Pedro Santos as a left wing back when de Leon came in, 18 months ago. I very rarely used him as I needed him further forward and had two decent full backs at the time. However, with Tripaldelli's departure, I had a big gap going into pre-season. A natural 10, he's slotted in superbly to a really creative wing back role, often the furthest man forward and the one to lay on the cross our key pass. I've really struggled to find the right profile of wing back for my setup and, whilst I know he'll have bad days against stronger teams, he's really impressed!

image.png.5f420b6a490e86aa9611dbd6c3100c13.png

I remember originally wanting Owusu to be a winger who cut in but then he found his feet up top. After a season of struggle, I'm hoping to rejuvenate him as a second striker. I think that, despite being relatively tall, he was bullied far too often last year and, by moving him deeper, I can focus more on getting him to use his pace to move into zones where he can finish, rather than having to hold off others. His pre-season form was strong and I hope he can continue that.

That leaves my squad looking like this:

image.png.cca15c5105264fd91a204cd591bfdf4c.png

I'm trying to think ahead, working out who I think will need replacing if/when we head into Serie A. I think that the core of my first team is settled and ready and only really have reservations about Santos given his new role. Mussolini could work but will need to impress me as will Biagioni. The second XI - not that it is that, by any stretch, is a bit weaker with some question marks over newer players plus some remnants of depth that I've brought in across the seasons at this level.

- - -

I'm really optimistic for the season ahead! Forza Biancoscudati!

Edited by _Ben_

Good luck for the new season! I took a good look at Bruno Zapelli in my early seasons at Bologna, due to his second nationality of Italian. We seem to be finding similar player types, but you're a few levels below so whilst they were not quite right for me, I can fully support you in signing them for your team. I have confidence that you might see it through this year, but whatever happens I hope you're allowed to stay true to your philosophies.

14 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Good luck for the new season! I took a good look at Bruno Zapelli in my early seasons at Bologna, due to his second nationality of Italian. We seem to be finding similar player types, but you're a few levels below so whilst they were not quite right for me, I can fully support you in signing them for your team. 

I agree! I'll maybe have a look through your thread again and see who you went for at the beginning of the save - seeing if they have stalled a little as they've aged and need an opportunity!

14 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I have confidence that you might see it through this year, but whatever happens I hope you're allowed to stay true to your philosophies.

Things have started very well! Thanks for the kind words.

26 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Maybe look at Owusu developing the trait 'Arrives Late Into The Box' so that he can get on cutbacks and the like?

Not a trainable trait because he's not able to play as a midfielder, from what I can see!

Cutbacks have been really successful so far for me this season and I think you're spot on. I've settled for the moves into channels and hope that also means vertical as well as horizontal channels, giving him the space to pick up the ball and use his pace to cause havoc.

image.png.e1e8254ffc5c3b140d3c099cdade744c.png

Season Seven: Unstoppable force

With the season dawning on me, I wanted to, once again, prepare long-term by looking at the positions and runs that we have across the season:

image.thumb.png.954f3234e62acd694e950e6e3333460f.png

Feeling that November and December - minus the ties against relegated Empoli and Como - would be the best for us, with January and February looking much harder, I wanted to prioritise some squad rotation and identify key fixtures to try out some tactical things. What has actually happened though has been beyond my wildest dreams. 

image.thumb.png.d201b38d5b05ba9218b7a5dadf492a32.png

image.thumb.png.fac555790c93a59aac35f9aaacef8da9.png

The season kicked off with disappointment as we were, by far, the better team against Serie A Verona - competitive rivals of ours. We entered extra time and, as I was preparing for the impending penalty shootout, looking to see out the tie, they scored from a pretty horrendous defensive mix up. We created nearly 3xG and Verona's two came from just over 1xG. Pretty heartbreaking stuff but, honestly, in a season where the league is everything to us, it's not the biggest disappointment.

Our league season kicked off against the nearly-bankrupt Cagliari side, who finished third last year. We ran absolute riot, creating 3.87xG and, despite allowing them 1.12xG themselves, were so strong going forward, imposing ourselves from the first minute. A hattrick, on debut, for Colidio was the icing on the cake. We followed that up with two slightly more cagey wins, still winning on xG and feeling pretty comfortable, but lacking a little bit against lower blocks and more tenacious midfielders. Zapelli opened his account with us in with a double against Benevento but, realistically, after creating nearly 6xG from these two ties, I'd have liked to have scored more! Against Cosenza's 4442 diamond, I moved the DLP(s) back to an A(d) in order to give ourselves a bit more stability over a strong team from last year and, again, we battered them thanks to braces from Zapelli and Biagioni, who - despite were intended to be battling for the striker slot, co-existed as a striker and a second striker. 

We were a bit more clinical against Venezia, scoring four from 1.81xG but my move from a DLF(s) to a F9(s) gave me more movement in build up and allowed even more space for Zapelli to find, as he added another two to his tally - cementing himself, already, as a strong signing for us. The most boring of draws came against Lecce as, combined, we just about scraped 1xG before a run of 3-0 wins, firstly over Perugia, where Vinci got himself scoring as we were, honestly, again, a bit wasteful from 3.89xG, and a win over Bari where they didn't even muster a shot. Recently relegated Pisa came to town in another of those tough games for us but we blew them away - Patino started the scoring but two cutbacks, finished - firstly - by Owusu and then by Colidio means that Pedro Santos ends this little run with seven assists and two goals in 9(1) appearances, 1.01 goal contributions a game from the left wing back role. He's been absolutely excellent so far, becoming an out ball and aggressively attacking down the flank:

image.png.01a18fc9cec74be577b4570cec924120.png

Overall, I have really been impressed with the attacking fluidity of those in charge of getting forward, creating and scoring. I don't feel that I have a true 9 at the club at the moment, instead have lots of eights and tens, which is my ideal. There is a lot of fluidity, game to game and where the players play between these roles and, when compared with all players who've made at least one goal or assist so far this season in the Big 5 T2 (Championship, Serie B, 2.Bundesliga, Liga HYPEMOTION and Ligue 2) leagues, my players really do stand out:

image.png.48064e0b4c4df0d454492f625df3f6e4.png

I wanted to see whether we were being extremely fortunate - ending a couple of years of being extremely unfortuante - by comparing shots on target and chances created, something we've always been good at, with actual goals converted and assists. Whilst Lucenti fits into the category of wasteful shooter or inconsistent assister (two goals from 1.3xG and one assist from 1.92xA - so the latter), he's currently the only one. Despite my rave reviews about Santos, he's considered as an overperformer at present, with seven assists from just 3.04xA but, everyone else is having lots of shots but scoring lots of goals and/or creating lots of chances and seeing them converted. The perfect attacking performance!

That leaves the table like this...

image.thumb.png.032fd683c65b6ef2440b7b7f6306e70d.png

We're flying and, whilst we do face some of the top teams over the next games, have such a command on the league with a ridiculous offensive and defensive record. I am delighted with our start and the extra work on morale, interactions and tactical tweaks seem to really be paying off!

Forza Biancoscudati!

Insanely good progress! The Verona loss hurt a little but it feels like (trying not to jinx) Messina might at last get the league win. Looks like Zapelli is really impressing which makes me really happy. Keep up the good work, Forza Biancoscudati! 

11 hours ago, Waffle18 said:

Insanely good progress! The Verona loss hurt a little but it feels like (trying not to jinx) Messina might at last get the league win. Looks like Zapelli is really impressing which makes me really happy. Keep up the good work, Forza Biancoscudati! 

It was indeed a bit of a sickener!

3bb975b3002416a50db3490ddbadfd22.png

We controlled the game for pretty much the entirety of it but just took our eyes off the prize for one minute. That is, I guess, why they're in Serie A and we aren't - yet!

Zapelli has been great. It's his traits, I think, that make him stand out in the F9 role; he drops deep and looks to link up with the shadow strikers, who, more often than not, have returned the ball to him to score.

image.png.78efc7e997373284ce0a5376273c11d7.png

9 hours ago, danyates8 said:

Wow I know I've mentioned the defensive record before but that start is nothing short of incredible

10 hours ago, lfds89 said:

1 conceded in 9 games. That's amazing!

This is the season, certainly.

Can you post a screenshot of your tactic?

It's not an overly exuberant tactic, if I'm honest...

image.png.2aea8fca05f7e9141aa08b1020c49898.png

As I've said before - this is the blueprint that changes around in lots of games. I like to use the central defender as a NCB(st) sometimes an the midfield two can be VOL/DLP, VOL/BWM, VOL/A, VOL/DM, REG/DM etc, depending on who we are playing. The ethos behind this design is built largely around the traits of certain players, particularly the two DMS, Lucenti (left) and Patino:

image.png.e43b25539868064c157c7942b0883771.png

The 3-2 shape, with the double pivot and the right sided player (in most of the roles that I would use here dropping deepest), looks to draw out the opponents and allow for progression from Bellino (left) and Pisilli:

image.png.339bd2209978e0b3bc10ff56657cf6dc.png

Adding players like Colidio, this summer, have helped me gain control in the final third and utilise a really creative left wing back in Santos. Using WB(au) means I have free reign over how I instruct and my intention for him is to get into the half space on the left side to create more options, along with the second strikers and False 9. I like to use the shadow strikers in different ways - particularly having them go inside or outside (left footed player on the left for outside or on the right for inside) depending on the favoured feet of the defender, knowing that they can run at them and cause them real trouble.

Against specific opposition, I'll use a A(d) in the DM role against a 41212 shape, because they'll have three attacking players. When faced with a low block in a single striker shape, I'll use (normally the left hand side) centre back as either a WCB(s) or L(s) depending on whether I want to push Santos on - to a CWB(s) - or overload the centre even more in a 2-3 build up, where the L(s)-VOL(s)-DLP(s) initiate the transition.

There are ways that it changes when I'm chasing the game too - normally involving pushing Santos on and using either a WCB(s) or WCB(a) to make a really left-hand-side heavy shape. This often then leads me to using de Leon as an IWB(a) on the right as he - a left footer anyway - cuts inside and is another player who can attack the box at the far post.

Whilst I have among the best squads in the league right now - with four or five Serie A level players - I think that this spell is my strongest ever in terms of tactical understanding and feeling confident enough to explore and change whilst knowing my reasoning behind it! I'm also long overdue some more match action in my updates, so will work on that, too!

My Brondby save is pretty much coming to a halt because I don't really want to turn it into a journeyman and the domestic league bores me. This thread really made me consider Italian lower leagues for a proper last save. We'll see. Looking great over in Messina, Ben!

I don't know if he would workout in your Midfield, but Massimo Bertagnoli has been a miracle worker for me as a Carrileo and CM-A in Japan's J1 League. He is defined as a Ball winning Midfielder but has decent longshot's ability. If you can get him at a decent price, he might be a rotation option.

1 hour ago, Slipky said:

My Brondby save is pretty much coming to a halt because I don't really want to turn it into a journeyman and the domestic league bores me. This thread really made me consider Italian lower leagues for a proper last save. We'll see. Looking great over in Messina, Ben!

Thanks for the comment!

Italy has been a place that, despite never visiting, I've loved for a long time now. I used to always manage here on earlier FMs and - even though my playing style has changed drastically - remember the clubs and the geographical elements fondly.

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

I don't know if he would workout in your Midfield, but Massimo Bertagnoli has been a miracle worker for me as a Carrileo and CM-A in Japan's J1 League. He is defined as a Ball winning Midfielder but has decent longshot's ability. If you can get him at a decent price, he might be a rotation option.

I'm seven years in now and, because of that, he's now 31 and is currently in Serie C, having moved there five years ago!

image.png.b5432f2904621f36e8f1f1f7e8de173d.png

Thanks for the recommendation, though!

image.png.6d9fc191807251de6385f613c82f6d87.png

Season Seven: Dominant

I'll keep this one short. We're so, so good!

image.thumb.png.0b2e8be5e960837173e31632434c96ce.png

image.thumb.png.72cd22bf45cdf689688efcd6e2483517.png

Sometimes, when things click into place, it's just so much fun to sit back and watch absolute chaos unfurl. We are, despite being a bit more leaky defensively, simply sublime in all areas of our game play. How on earth do you explain going, away from home, to relegated Empoli - a team with Serie A quality - and walking off with a 6-0 victory?!

Each game is being approached with an eye for the how I can unpick teams and I'm probably overdue a long form explanation of how things are playing out, but, right now, I'm on Comprehensive Highlights watching us tear teams apart and I'm loving it. The title, whilst still having some fifty-seven points to play for, feels almost a foregone conclusion but now is where the fun really starts. January will be a time where I want to get one or two more Serie A-ready players into the team and see just how well we can integrate them, playing this stylish brand of Amorim-inspired football.

image.thumb.png.ef1daab704b63602187c91293af85977.png

What is more, our run over the next month or so isn't actually that hard - so I can shift into recruitment mode and build even more on this! I'm playing quickly and, in the coming weeks, that'll slow down significantly, but - I have to say - this is so much fun!

Forza Biancoscudati!

22 minutes ago, keeper#1 said:

The league should have expected this type of performance after the previous two or three seasons of playoff heartbreak.

47 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

It's been a long time coming, but you're coming good at the right time. Look forward to Serie A next season.

I absolutely agree that the extra year has been of huge benefit to us - both for me, tactically, but also for the players I have here. I couldn't imagine having to try Pedro Santos as a left wing back in our first season in Serie A but, this year, he's had a year there and been such a revelation that (SPOILER alert!) I've just brought the right-sided version of him.

Honestly - we could do more than just stay up next year. I think that the vast majority of the squad is either good enough or deserves a shot at Serie A and I'm excited to see just how that looks!

On 29/08/2024 at 16:35, Deisler26 said:

I like Viti. An centre-back of impressive quality for what I would use. And for £1.5m?? Definitely a deal I would have made.

Absolutely! I think he's solid defensively but will also be nicely progressive in his play and can work for us for the next three to five years. I was worried about the €1.5m, but, once I'd raised those funds - had no concerns.

7 hours ago, adam_otbfm said:

Looking forward to seeing how you plan to attack Serie A, and Chester looks a fantastic prospect! Exciting times!

6 hours ago, danyates8 said:

Congrats on the promotion. I'm sure the last few years of squad building will see you survive quite comfortably next year. 

Thanks both! Definitely going to try and use the summer to think long term about our plans. I'm optimistic that we can stay up, definitely.

What a hustle, and it couldn't have come at a better time!

I'm sure the club has the right foundations to comfortably survive in Serie A. Looking forward to seeing your elite talents develop :onmehead:

image.png.01f66044175e0552e5ceb3a535ecd291.png

Season Seven: Wrapping up a record season

Promotion secured. Serie C to Serie A in seven years isn't too bad when you consider that I feel like I've been able to rebuild the club in the style that I want to, having a say over pretty much everything but also playing in a realistic manner to hand over a lot of the operational stuff.

image.png.c97c64c617cf7ebe1517ea3e678af9b0.png

From our team stats to our player stats, we've been simply sublime. Not reaching 100 points or 100 goals does feel like a bit of a missed chance but we've made so many improvements from last year, namely making ourselves really hard to beat. Again this year the top three go up with yo-yo side Cesena (Serie B playoffs, relegation, Serie C Champions, Serie B playoffs) ending strongly. Pisa, the third side relegated from Serie A could only muster ninth this season whilst Perugia, Sampdoria, Venezia and Bari went down. Lecce, now the largest sleeping giant left in here, finished a disappointing thirteenth.

image.thumb.png.6b889e0b9a8c5a1724e2131e0bfcd8c5.png

I think that I've got this fairly spot on. There are a group of more expensive players who, probably, need some more minutes - Pisilli, Biagioni and Owusu and a quite small group of those higher earners who are probably not deserving of it but are useful to have in the squad - Patino and Floriani Mussolini. It could be much worse in that sense. The move to put Valenti as more of a backup is great because he's earning such a little wage that this move doesn't add to any financial strain. The players in the bottom right and not only key players but are playing well, too - which, potentially, leads to a difficult situation where they all realise they could be being paid more handsomely for the work they are doing. I envisage that the summer will contain several key conversations about this.

But, to be fair to them, most have the stats to back up their demands!

image.thumb.png.bf6dbc226f836f525da6d55ac4efe871.png

For reference - GA/90 is goals plus assists, xGA/90 is expected goals plus expected assists, Prog Act/90 is dribbles plus progressive passes and Def Actions/90 is possession won, tackles, headers and interceptions. The percentage is the percentile rank against all other Serie B outfield players.

I want to try and find something - not possession adjusted - that takes into account the sheer lack of defending that we do. Whilst Moraga is really progressive, none of them, Valenti - maybe - aside, are doing much defending and, therefore, sit in the bottom half of the percentile rankings. The wing back area is where I think we've won a lot more than we've lost - all of the players here are very strong in all areas of the game. Whilst the defensive wing backsCarboni and Floriani Mussolini are actually performing really well offensively, the eye test suggest that the Portuguese duo are far more comfortable at doing the attacking work. Bellino has really shown his class this season and, despite being more of a creative Volante, hsa chipped in with a whole load of defensive work, too. All of my attacking six have scored and assisted really heavily this season, which has alleviated the burden from just a single striker, which I don't really use. What is really interesting though is the difference in progressive play between the three, Owusu, Vinci, Maldini and Colidio, despite all playing in the same roles. I'd almost suggest - and this is vindicated by what I see - he drops deeper and then can progress better, plus, playing on the right, he's had a much more offensive wing back in the second half of the season.

With pretty much everyone living up to my Serie B expectations, I need to look at where the whole squad is going ready for next year:

Goalkeepers

• image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Matteo Esposito Matteo is the club number one but is heading into the final year of his contract. With us since Serie C and absolutely deserving at a chance of playing top flight football, I hope to be able to keep him around but fear that his demands may be significantly higher than I actually want to offer, simply because he knows his importance to the club.
  • image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.png image.png.35d75fc20189af111764d44bd4019147.png Mateo Moro - also entering the final twelve months of his deal, I hope that the Argentine will be happy to renew as a backup player. Called upon for just one game, before, despite looking sharp, dropping back down, he's under little threat as my backup option.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Luca Palazzolo - I think that Luca has a really bright future here and would like to see him get some minutes in the first team in a Serie C or Serie D club next year. I see no factors that are necessarily stopping his movement through the ranks and will really hone in on his development once he comes back with minutes under his belt.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.pngimage.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Riccardo Mannu - certainly the weakest of my keepers and will probably remain in the U18 squad, especially if Palazzolo moves out on loan. His determination is surely going to hold him back but I do have to question the time it would take to mentor and develop him to a level that would really be useful for us, either for profitable income or first team commitments.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.pngimage.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Alberto Pellini - lacks ambition but may be thrust into the U20 squad at just sixteen given his recent development and him probably being better than Mannu, who is a year his senior. Possibly too early to tell whether he has a future, especially given his slight stature for a keeper.

Centre Backs

• image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.pngimage.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Mattia Viti - love the lad! He's slotted in perfectly to the backline and will hopefully be around for a long time to come. Only accrued 0.45xG this half-season so I might need to look at other ways to get him, among the generally tall defence, involved in more offensive opportunities.
  • image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.pngimage.png.1e295b94327353619f1a8f680dfa0042.png Pau Cubarsi - simply a top, top player with a value that now reflects that. With interest from Saudi Arabia, will surely be pestering me for a new deal at some point soon. Has, interestly, only a 60% header win ratio this season but, at just under 80%, is strong in the tackle and progresses the ball well. I want him around long term.
  • image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.pngimage.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Wisdom Amey - the last of the trio. Recently signed a new deal making him the highest earner but I imagine that it'll get usurped over the summer window. Such a physical beast and his purpose in the team is unlike any other - solely a retriever, whether from aerial battles or just an influence that scares attackers. If he wanted to move on, we'd surely need to look at the entire defensive shape, such is his importance.
  • image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.pngimage.png.35d75fc20189af111764d44bd4019147.png Luca Valenti - it's a blessing to have a player this strong as a backup. At 32, he's not going to be here forever but is a wonderful option to sure things up and I have no reservations about dropping him into the first team in case of an injury. He is entering the last twelve months of his deal and I just hope that he doesn't want to - like any one would - have a last couple of years of real first team football before his legs go. If that's the case, we just can't offer that.
  • image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.pngimage.png.1e295b94327353619f1a8f680dfa0042.png Mario Moraga - For fifth choice, he's clearly among the best at this level and I hope that he can mature and continue to offer something at Serie A level, too. Wouldn't see an issue with moving him into the first team if Cubarsi left or, even, if Amey moved on, given how physical he is. Also a threat from long throws that we just haven't utilised yet.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.pngimage.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Franco Gotti - almost certain to drop down to the very low levels of Italian football. Scored six goals in the fifth tier but will only get away with that due to his height. Already agreed to be released at the end of his youth contract this summer.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.pngimage.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Lorenzo Grillo - been at Eccellenza side Palmese this season and has not really impressed. With a year to go on his contract, I do worry whether he's got enough about him to make it at a level about semi-pro.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.pngimage.png.1e295b94327353619f1a8f680dfa0042.png Josep Colell - A lot to like about him but also a lot of development left to come for him to achieve it. The ex Damn player does lack a bit of physicality to play in the backline and the technical ability to play any further forward. Will likely move out on loan next year to see the impact that first team football has on his development.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.pngimage.png.adfd561a82b2bbd096a06636ca1caec4.png Babacar Fall - I'm really torn on this one! I really wanted him to stay and come good but the loan at Rudes has probably found his ceiling. He's two footed and an international, which is no mean feet from a then Serie C academy but I just don't see enough about him to justify a first team spot, which is what he agent wants. With no deadlock broken in contract talks, he's likely to walk away on a free transfer. I will wish him the best, though.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.pngimage.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Massimiliano Panzeri - was here to make up some numbers but put in some impressive figures in youth football as a wide centre back, despite being tiny. He'll be off at the end of this season when his contract expires.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.pngimage.png.c00ec773ea341d76469268ffdbdc8978.png David Girard - a bit of a gem coming through from last year's intake. Made some steady improvements over the course of the year and maybe ready for first team football at a lower level this time out. I'd consider moving to Serie D initially as, physically, he's ok for his age but lacks a bit in the technical department, where he'd be found out any higher.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.pngimage.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Ciro Del Prete - tough in the tackle but unlikely to offer any more. Will get another year in the U18 squad to prove that he has the ability to get better as has flatlined across the year.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.pngimage.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Matteo Colzi - lacking a lot technically but could work in the Amey-mould. He's got a long development plan ahead of him so happy to see where it takes him! For now though, he'll need to get his head down and work hard in the U18 squad.

Wing Backs

• image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Romano Floriani Mussolini - my traditional right wing back. Absolutely deserves a shot at Serie A after nearly 170 games with us but maybe lacking in the quality to be any more than a bit part player now that we're there. Could also be a centre back but lacking in the aerial ability, if I'm honest. Also, a very high earner in comparison with the quality he has but happy to keep him around as I doubt there'll be much interest given that.
  • image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.png image.png.35d75fc20189af111764d44bd4019147.png Franco Carboni - really strong start to his time with us and I envisage that he'll go from strength to strength as his time goes on. Nearly learnt his trait already, which suggests he's quite versatile to the role I'm trying to develop him into.
  • image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.png image.png.807b599d8d1165e5473e43d2aee711eb.png Mateus Fernandes - seamless transition and really quick adaption to the wing back role, that clearly he'd played before. Racked up six assists in half a season and became first choice here. Certainly a player to build around.
  • image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.pngimage.png.807b599d8d1165e5473e43d2aee711eb.png  Pedro Santos - there's nothing better than turning a third choice midfielder into a 20-goal contribution left wing back in the space of twelve months. Pedro has been a dream to manage, never complaining and always taking on board what I've asked and it's now showing as he's an integral part of the club. I love him!
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.1e295b94327353619f1a8f680dfa0042.png Eloi Aspar - deemed to have a load of potential but really seems to be a jack of all trades and a master of none. Hasn't really kicked on in terms of his development over the season, since moving from Damn. However, his value could present a strong bit of profit for the club, which I may look to utilise.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.pngimage.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Federico Migliori - a gem out of our youth team and, hopefully, the long term option for Carboni on the left.He's not quite attacking enough to be anything more than a rotational option but has enjoyed a strong year out on loan in Serie C and will likely be a candidate to head to Croatia next year.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Leonardo Valenti - a solid loan to sell here. Came in on a free from Inter and shipped out on loan but retains a high transfer value, which I'm hoping to cash in on over the summer. Far too far down the pecking order for his age.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Luca De Cicco - made a really smooth transition to the right wing back slot, where I'm hoping he can add some to his all around game. He's got a lot of potential but nothing really stands out for me - so I'll keep a close eye on him.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Mirko Fucilli - similarly to Fall, I'm about to lose him for free. I really hoped that he'd kick on but now, in his fourth loan away from the club, he really hasn't. My top priority for those that do not make the grade here is to ensure that they are good enough to be sold on, and I've failed on that area simply because I've not wanted to meet his contract demands. Something to learn from!
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Alessandro Cassano - part of a wing back project that looks very unlikely to come off! Another year left on his deal but may just be out of the door to give playing time to someone else next year.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Giuseppe Cassano - no relation to Alessandro and has kicked on loads side a move to Palmese. Still very weak mentally and may just stay with the Palmi based club for another year for further assessment. I do quite like him as a wing back though - just needs to fill those holes. Again, maybe I should've been stricter on him at a younger age, discounting this potential growth streak now.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Francesco Sacchetti - going to be turning him into a wrong-footed wing back but most interested about his realist personality (low sportsmanship), traits of winding others up and then his complete lack of bravery! I think he could become quite a nice option if I can get this development plan right and forms part of a midfield four in the U18 team that I have really high hopes for.

6s

• image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.png image.png.04bae1b68dc5441aab3070e06c944b8f.png Charlie Patino - going into the last year of his deal with some quite strong MLS interest means I need to get the most out of Patino - in this case, transferring his traits - before it is too late. A really strong backup option but nowhere near good enough to really claim a stake for a first teamer. He's a good lad to have around but I feel that we'll have definitely outgrown him in twelve to eighteen months time.
  • image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Filippo Bellino - found that competition from Pisilli really pushed him on this year, recording a career high sixteen goal contributions. Still one of my favourite players across 175 games for us as I've developed and moulded him into pretty much the exact player I want. He is, however, also going into the final year of his deal and I feel that the money promises of Serie A may push his demands to the limit of what I can, and want to, offer.
  • image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Jacopo Lucenti - also entering the last twelve months of his deal, Lucenti represents the biggest jewel from our youth production line in recent years. Retrained from an attacking midfielder and mouled to perfectly start our build ups. Eight contributions is up from last year but he missed a chunk of football this year as he is seemingly getting more injuries than in the previous seasons; I'm hoping that 225 games at just 23 years old is not linked to this. 
  • image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Nicolo Pisilli - with each of the four first team midfielders in the last twelve months, I think that this season is important for Nicolo. Brought in, at first, as a backup but a has since turned into a really strong rotation option, I do worry that he'll want to go somewhere to be a key cog in their system but I hope that the glitz and glamour of the top flight in Sicily is enough to hold him here.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Davide Tedesco - was in the same intake as Fucilli and Fall and is ending up in the same boat, leaving on a free. I had really high hopes but wasn't able to hold down a role in the team even in Croatia so certainly not enough to move on here.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.1e295b94327353619f1a8f680dfa0042.png Roberto Arana - I just can't quite decide what the ex-Sociedad midfielder wants to be. Not physical enough for a true ball winner profile but not creative enough for a Volante or playmaker. Enjoyed a great season at Palmese and I think that a loan to secure a strong market value will probably come next year before I move him on for good. Nothing against him, but really doesn't have enough to make the first team here.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.bf9b3429e5d23dddfa790ba094e85143.png Boubacar Guindo - a player that I have really high hopes for. Whilst he's in the U20 team, he's training with the first team squad in order to be mentored by Lucenti and Patino, who will hopefully pass some of those early transitional traits on to him. I love his height and the fact he's really strong on either foot, meaning he can use his body to spread play to either side of the pitch. Watching him in some of the minutes he's had this season, he just floats around but is also then really physical when faced with an opportunity to win the ball back.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Henri Njoh  - I think he's a really promising youngster in the same mould as Guindo, Patino and Lucenti. Not quite as tall, nor as physically able yet, he'll be developed into a ball playing central midfielder and I'm quite excited about him.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Edoardo Vitari - I think he's got Volante written all over him! Currently a lot of single figure attributes that'll look much stronger when they reach ten but, for 15, already supremely technical, which will surely help as he ages.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Luke Chester - he's that destructive ball carrier that I wanted! Not quite there with the dribbling yet but tenacious, brave and determined with an elite engine and hopefully willing to develop himself technically. I gave him his debut at a really young age and he's currently the diamond within our academy system. I've got really high hopes!

Second Strikers

• image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Ali Owusu - absolutely phenomenal at Serie C but tailing off now and will certainly not be good enough for a first team spot in Serie A. However, there's no denying that 97 goals from a 22-year old is fantastic and his move to a second striker has reinvented some of that, bringing with it the confidence that he seemingly lacked over the last eighteen months. I'd still consider him a project, which is mad given his experience within the team and I have no intention of letting him leave. 
  • image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Riccardo Vinci - I have loved his arrogance! Demanding to sign as a squad player at just seventeen, then going out and having a decent loan spell, but only scoring once at Catanzaro, he's then netted 29 times in two seasons for us and his one of our strongest players. Could still be refined a little bit but will be an important member of the team going forward - despite the fact that I need to sign a couple of new players for this role over the summer.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Adama Kouakou - kicked on well at Palmese but I do fear that he's just not developed enough technically for me to consider him a real prospect for us. With twelve months left on his deal, it may be a case of renewing, sending him out again with the intention of increasing his value ready for a potential sale next summer.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Giampietro Rinaldi - showing very little and will be lucky to make it through the summer!
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.adfd561a82b2bbd096a06636ca1caec4.png Babacar N’Diaye - quite an interesting proposition! Not entirely sure whether I see him as a False Nine or a Second Striker yet but will be developed in the most rounded way possible before I make that call.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.bf9b3429e5d23dddfa790ba094e85143.png Souleymane Traore - has really impressed me stepping into the first team at the end of the season but I don't feel that he's ready to become a fully fledged member, yet. The height, pace and dribbling ability make him a pleasure to watch but I think he needs proper first team football at a club where he can torment defences. That may mean he's playing lower than his ability suggests he should but I think it'll do his confidence wonders.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Emiliano Farris - scored really well for the U20 side due to his ability to dribble the ball. With an expiring contract and some Serie C interest, it'll probably be the end of his time here.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Umberto Micheletti - just arrived through the academy system and I like him. Works hard, which is something that not all of my second strikers can do and is already decent physically and mentally. Like a lot of my players, will need some thorough technical work over the next few years but I think there is a chance he could be decent.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Alberto Niccolini - absolutely blown up since being out on loan, showing that, even though the level isn't as good as he could play at, he's getting first team minutes and that is what counts. Probably not quite well rounded enough to make it with us but a strong physical frame means he's always going to be a threat, especially running at tired legs late in games. Will get another period of time out on loan and be re-assessed.

10s

• image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Bruno Zapelli - I was, honestly, not expecting this level of impact from the new signing. Seventeen goal contributions and a pretty integral part of the team, he deserves a shot at Serie A and I think he'll do pretty well. There are, maybe, a couple of traits I'd like to explore adding to his game, but, at 28, he's less inclined to want to learn them. We'll see.
  • image.png.b20395244409c8447d3e159a98184e54.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Marco Biagioni - a perfectly able backup or rotational option here. Twelve goal contributions and some strong showings.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.1e295b94327353619f1a8f680dfa0042.png Guille Fuentes - actually looks really solid now I look again and has obviously developed nicely whilst in Croatia. Will likely spend another season there to get the most out of him before I re-asses next summer.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Demetrio Mirabelli - I was impressed with him on youth intake day given his ability from dead balls. He's now played a few first team minutes and I still really like him. I would like to develop some traits to get the most of his touch, technique and long shots but think a loan deal is the best bet first up.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Daniele Caputo - I kept him on for his pace but he's done nothing at all. Will be gone at the end of his contract in the summer.
  • image.png.a1fc2c877f88e6773dcb926d38a2b4dd.png image.png.53fe5d4136022e9580f040910a7c804d.png Carlo Conti - moving to a False Nine due to the traits, first touch and technique but I'm concerned that he simply cannot make a simple pass! Hopefully his driven nature pushes him on to develop the best he can.

With this relatively settled squad requiring a little bit of trimming, some strengthening and a lot of contract renewing, I need to look and see just what I have got to spend. With €15m given to me and about €130k free wage budget, I could go mad. But I probably won't. I envisage that at least 50% of the free wage budget will be taken on renewals from the current squad, wanting a piece of the Serie A paycheck action. 

With the takeover last summer providing a cash injection of €50m, I knew I'd lose some money from tax, alone, but, in just twelve months - we've devoured over half of what was given to us and, honestly, I don't see these men as the front end sugar daddies who are going to keep topping it up. Our expenditures can be seen here:

image.thumb.png.69fea58f89ce1c1869973c58a33d01fd.png

With a net transfer spend of €1.5m not including the €2.4m we spent on loan fees, I don't realistically think we could've done much better here. Our bonuses have significantly impacted our figures. One of the impacts of the Colidio loan was, despite a low weekly wage contribution, his bonuses stayed significantly above what I pay everyone else but the counter argument is that I can't confidently say we'd have been promoted without those goals.

Next year, 18th placed nets me €1.07m and, I imagine, a whole host of TV money. I'll certainly be cautious next season but there is a chance I might slip into the red, despite an increase in match day income. Tycoon or not, we're still going to have to be very careful!

- - -

I am really looking forward to the off-season, seeing how I can strengthen, specifically with my 3 non-EU slots that now open up. It's going to be a fun one!

Forza Biancoscudati!

image.png.149d427ae592ccd17e854f758da82ecb.png

Season Eight: Welcome to Serie A (with some transfer stuff thrown in, too).

The promised land awaits us.

Life has got busy of late so my normal three to four months a week has become three to four clicks but I have taken a little bit of time to collate some all-time Serie A records:

image.thumb.png.ac0f73d29d519af6fbde66f6bd6cecda.png

From the outside, it looks like a closed league; Parma are the yo-yo side, coming up, doing poor and then spending all of their parachute money to make an immediate return but most of the teams who have come up have struggled, with only Monza being able to cement themselves for any period of time after a spell outside of the top tier. Basically, we're going to need to break the cycle if we want to become regulars at this level!

My biggest issue this off-season, though, hasn't been preparation in terms of new signings but those who are already at the club, I have had to renew fourteen new deals, either due to the players entering their last year of contract or because they feel their wage is too low. Great for continuity but at an increase of €199,250 per week, it has sucked a significant portion of my improve the squad budget from me.

image.png.c4ad44ee6b5163fa16ff374e50260bd0.png

There are times when I like to hand things over to the finance team but there are also times where I want control of what is going on, and this has been one of them. To ensure that base wages stayed as low as possible, I took a risk by offering hugely inflated Loyalty Bonuses. This, for me, feels like a win/win - they either stay at the club and I pay this, with us being a better team or they demand a move, ask to be transfer listed and, from what I've read, then forego this fee. In total, these loyalty costs of €8.26m - €53k per week - are a big expenditure for me and I need to consider whether, for those lesser players, who may be sold if/when we grow into the league, should've had an extra €2/3k on their weekly wage instead. 

I do, though, now have the core of my squad tied down for the coming years and still had some money left to invest in new players. Most notably, to fill the AM slot - replacing Colidio and Maldini, both of whom left after the ending of their loans. Moving to Serie A opens up three non-EU player slots and, wanting to do this as realistically as possible, I collated the list of five players who my recruitment team had found an interested me, for various reasons:

image.thumb.png.7090657d0e1ff2e8e24b8aeef4ee61eb.png

image.png.6a22a782a4f45c3dc63e4af089c4ed40.pngValentin Depietri    image.png.8f11ddbab0819df3d77459a26698c872.png Ezequiel Forclaz    image.png.cb2de52d94e4f2b5222c8e470aab4dc0.png Nicolás Rossi     image.png.2b99728b4a0bd06f76ff662cfdf3d180.png Luca Kmet     image.png.d2e501b0c6568f8d7b82c4da0421b91d.pngSantiago Farrera

Wanting that runner profile, I knew that there'd be options for some wingers in this pool and that is what I had about Depietri and Rossi. Unfortunately, before I'd really started the process, the former had sealed a move to Velez and was off my list. Again, with the realism element, I used the scout reports before looking at the attributes in order to create a shortlist of the five, ordering them in terms of my overall preferences. Depietri is quick, technically able, creative and consistent but does lack some game intelligence and, at 30, was the oldest player to be recommended. Forclaz would, I was told, be an asset to us in big games and is a consistent, adaptable team player although has had problems with injuries in his career. Rossi would not fill a non-EU slot and his profile, despite not seeing it necessarily over his career, is that he's a strong finisher. Kmet was unhappy and would, therefore, be easier to bring in and would bring with him his technical, creative skillset and Farrera's flair and speed would also be a positive to the club.

My list was created and given to the DoF, with this order of preference:

1. Farrera - I was really impressed with the 'second striker specific' attributes that I was looking for: agility, dribbling, finishing and off the ball as well as the core DNA that I want to build here with only anticipation and decisions being below 15. No traits is a double edged sword; means he'll need to spend time developing that to hopefully give an edge to his game but, ultimately, is very much of a clean slate for what he could do for the club. Has featured pretty heavily this season, with 23(3) appearances but not really set the league on fire with his three goal contributions but, considering that Argentinos Juniors finished 26th out of 27 teams, can see why.

2. Kmet - completely frozen out of the Vasco team, who have a plethora of wonderkids at their disposal but a very natural AM profile with strong attributes across the key areas for me. He's got a couple of nice playmaking traits but I think he can also add some to do with ball carrying, which I can get on with straight away. I think we can offset his (lack of) size and strength by utilising the taller team behind him and I'd actually envisage that this will also be a benefit to him moving fluidly in tight spaces. He's also, by far, the cheapest of the bunch of players recommended to me and, with a below-average number of appearances for his age, could still have time to grow.

3, Forclaz - probably the best player here but that comes with a price and, probably, a guarantee that he'll be a key player, which is not something I want when I rotate and choose based on a number of factors, such as the opponents. Has eighteen contributions this season, which is really strong, but - obviously - somewhat skewed due to the State Champs that Botafogo won.

4. Depietri - I liked the winger-esque profile that he'd bring but, as I said, he moved on really early in this process and I was never truly able to get the full picture before making the move, so, when I created the shortlist, he went towards the bottom given the unlikely nature of signing him.

5. Rossi - very much the wildcard, I think. Not quite as good as the rest but, like Depietri, a profile that has worked well for me in the past in this role. He'd bring some set piece ability with him but, as I created this list, I very much felt that he was an outsider and we'd have done very badly if we reached this level.

What I got was great!

image.png.0507288e6f243f6654f82ffd72acb915.png

To get my first choice and then, again - given that the game handled the second shortlist presented to the DoF without Farrera as a different signing - is absolutely fantastic. Santi is, obviously, the record outlay for the club, beating the Viti deal by €1m but we are now a Serie A side and need to spend as such. Given that I've witnessed Atalanta seal a €98m deal for Romeo Lavia just days before, I'd say that this is still an excellent piece of targeted transfer business.

The Argentine duo will rotate with Vinci and Owusu, providing two left and two right footed options and a variety of playing styles and strengths. I am delighted with this deal and, honestly, hadn't intended to do anything else, until...

image.png.efa173e49b7178515a1ad067fbc50a30.png

This is pretty outlandish for me! Guido Hoyos, currently at Serie B Como, is going to absolutely smash my transfer record when he arrives next summer. Como, despite managing to hold on to him for one season in Serie B, have an Argentine international keeper who could be our number one for the next fifteen years and were holding him, almost against his will. In comparison with Esposito, he's a far superior player but held on for a year given that my current number one had just signed a new deal and, therefore, wouldn't be interested in a move away. Even with a relatively small contract, I couldn't afford to keep them both at the club, plus, the extra year at a top club in Serie B will only benefit Guido. With the money available in the budget now, but no assurances of it it next season, I felt that this was a sensible move, depleting something that we have, knowing I'm likely to lose money over the course of the year.

- - -

With a couple more fixtures left until we kick off, the excitement is building! I have no real hopes or expectations but would just like to stay up!

Forza Biancoscudati!