Quarter Final 3: England vs Switzerland live from the Düsseldorf Arena. Saturday BBC1 5pm

Who will be the winner?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/07/24 at 15:59

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Switzerland were brilliant for 90 minutes against Italy. We came within 86 seconds of losing to Slovakia.

Switzerland have shared the goals around this tournament. England have been overly reliant on a frustrated (and frustrating) Harry Kane and a petulant (and increasingly arrogant) Jude Bellingham.

Murat Yakin has a clear plan that has worked consistently well at this tournament, and he knows what his best team is. Gareth Southgate don't have a plan, and has waited until the Quarter Finals to switch to an unfamiliar tactic, rather than trying it in our final group game against Slovenia.

Switzerland have a healthy mix of youth and experience. England don't have any match-fit left-backs.

So yeah... I'm very pessimistic about today. I'm predicting Switzerland to win a boring match 1-0, Gareth to be in the job centre on Monday morning, and Graham Potter to be England manager by the end of the month.

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Ladies and gentlemen, England will be playing three ****ing four two one or something.

Until they score, at which point it'll revert to 5-4-1-0 with four defensive midfielders and Kane as the lone CM.

Just now, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I agree but also you had us down as playing the beautiful game at the start of the tournament so...

I did. I really thought Gareth had learned his lessons going into this tournament. :D

Trippier’s perfectly capable of playing as a right wing-back. He likes to hug the line and get forward wherever possible.

I still would probably have went with TAA, but I don’t think it’s as huge a blunder as people are making out. 

1 minute ago, arenaross said:

Am I the one that actually thinks that's fine and might work? 

It can't be much worse than the previous system.

It can't, right?

I think people are overthinking a little about Switzerland. They seemed to struggle a lot more in the second halves of games and if England are still level at the break, I think there is every chance they will start dropping deeper.

Gone with England to win this, either off a deflected goal or on pens.

Then again, I did think this about Switzerland in Euro 2020 and then they beat France on pens back then. :D

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Bigwig said:

Trippier’s perfectly capable of playing as a right wing-back. He likes to hug the line and get forward wherever possible.

I still would probably have went with TAA, but I don’t think it’s as huge a blunder as people are making out. 

TAA is just streets ahead offensively though, think that's the issue I and others have. 

image.png.72fa2339d9f2c2621c867d522b98d524.png

On paper:
Switzerland has a better goalkeeper.
Switzerland has a better back three because they actually played together before and aren't that far off individually.
Switzerland's midfield duo has been great together and fits their roles way more than Rice-Mainoo.

Wingbacks aren't amazing individually, but actually play the role. I've never seen Saka play on the left, let alone as a wing-back.
Trippier has no legs to go up and down all game long.

England's front three is scary and has to win the game for them.

As a weekly 3 man defense watcher, I'm eager to see how England's back three and two midfielders looks in build-up. I expect nothing but shambles.

• Administrators

Foden: "Let's see if it works". Reassuring :D 

Just now, Smallen said:

you know it could just be the exact same system as previous with Konsa in for Guehi this, right?

It'll be that. In pub with England supporting mates and the deflation at that line up is real.

9 minutes ago, arenaross said:

Am I the only one that actually thinks that's fine and might work? 

Nope,  I'm happy with that but I know nothing about international football :larry:

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Smallen said:

you know it could just be the exact same system as previous with Konsa in for Guehi this, right?

Could be, Foden is saying we will match them and he is in the middle.

Just now, sc91 said:

It'll be that. In pub with England supporting mates and the deflation at that line up is real.

I'm in Croatia. Absolutely nee idea what's going on.

Wanna meet up so that I can tell you who the best team in the land is @GunmaN1905?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Smallen said:

I'm in Croatia. Absolutely nee idea what's going on.

Wanna meet up so that I can tell you who the best team in the land is @GunmaN1905?

You make it sound like the country is the size of Luxembourg. :lol:

Have a nice time and don't get ripped off too much.

Edited by GunmaN1905

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Foden: "Let's see if it works". Reassuring :D 

Just to add to this, wonder if Foden doesn't really rate Gareth much. There was obvious frustration from Jude as well in the last game with other players and tactics. 

I guess we'll see.

22 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Absolutely insane to go with 3 at the back and not pick Trent.

This man doesn't know ball.

'Zero ball knowledge' as the kids say

3 minutes ago, m_fenton said:

Southgate with a smirk "well let's see what the formation is first" - love it.

the leak to the press a few days ago that we're playing a back 3 could easily be ****-housing couldn't it

I have a good feeling, team looks far better balanced but obviously the players still need to play.

No excuses now, Southgate's taken 99% of the stick and rightly so but the players have to start to perform now too.

3-0 England, football continues its journey home.

4 minutes ago, m_fenton said:

Southgate with a smirk "well let's see what the formation is first" - love it.

Dear god he doesn't even know himself!

People are overrating Switzerland, we looked much better than Italy in qualifying until we **** the bed once in the lead. Italy are awful.

Don't get me wrong, we have a very real chance of being beaten but that's from crap management.

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Would be pretty stupid to have wasted training sessions with a back 3 in that case?

No it wouldn't if it's another option depending on game state

Posted (edited)

Literally just had a dream in which England had chosen a crazily rotated XI. Bigirimana (!?) was playing in the hole and I was squinting to see what all the other exciting, unfamiliar player names were. 
image.png.203593c5131d2f72e8cd6f11213e7272.png

And then I woke up

Edited by ceefax the cat

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

Literally woke up from a dream in which England had chosen a crazily rotated XI. Bigirimana (!?) was playing in the hole and I was squinting to see what all the other exciting, unfamiliar player names were. 

And then I woke up

A 30 year old Burundian in the hole is probably wildest dream Southgate's ever been involved in.

Edited by SteveUK

3 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

Literally woke up from a dream in which England had chosen a crazily rotated XI. Bigirimana (!?) was playing in the hole and I was squinting to see what all the other exciting, unfamiliar player names were. 

And then I woke up

Saido Berahino up front as well? :D

10 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Would be pretty stupid to have wasted training sessions with a back 3 in that case?

You realise the press are only allowed to watch the first five minutes of training sessions, right?

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Rio, Micah and Frank as pundits? ****ing hell. TV off till KO then :D 

Rio and Frank I can’t stand. Micah has grown on me. 

We generally had one really good performance at least in previous knockouts, Sweden in 2018, Germany/Ukraine 2020, Senegal 2022 so I think naively that will be the case tonight. Switzerland deserved to beat Italy but they also drew with Scotland and weren't that impressive against Hungary either despite the win.

Let's go with 3-1, Kane, Foden and er, Watkins late on