Quarter Final 3: England vs Switzerland live from the Düsseldorf Arena. Saturday BBC1 5pm

Who will be the winner?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/07/24 at 15:59

Just now, TalkSport said:

Hopefully Shaw can get more minutes in SF because if we get to final, we need him.

Trippier got roasted a few times, and Yamal/Dembele will only do that more and with better quality afterwards. 

Need to start making changes earlier. Got lucky twice now, feels you can’t keep getting away with it.

You really think playing Shaw would be a good idea against Netherlands/Turkey with their pace on the wings?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Darren Moores Mum said:

On the one hand, that was terrible

On the other hand, that was as enjoyable a celebration as I've had in a long time.

Exactly this

6 minutes ago, davehanson said:

Yep. We are gonna win this whole tournament without playing a single decent game.

And the tears and tantrums will be epic 😂

I'll take it as it gives Gareth the perfect reason to go out on a high.

1 minute ago, arenaross said:

Name is on the trophy. Absolutely has to be after five matches of this complete dross. 

Perfecting the Greek System beautifully 

Posted (edited)

Doesn't matter whether it's Saka, Gordon, Shaw.... just someone has to overlap and offer a wide option, ideally on both wings. Soon as Saka has someone overlapping, what do you know, he's able to cut inside, find space and shoot. If not, no dice because the defender has one job which is to block him on his left foot.

The whole rest of the game (and others) was defined by our predictability on both wings, with players cutting inside totally predictably, no need to cover the outside, easy to block the cross or shot and double up on them. It doesn't work. Soon as we have overlaps / width, these players come alive and we get crosses in. We spend so much time each game giving the opposing fullbacks zero difficult choices to make, which is why we go from side to side and back again, over and over again.

Edited by ceefax the cat

How can you lose at pens with those 5? :D Elite.

Southgate has this blind loyalty to some players that are kinda holding the team back. Kane, Walker, Foden etc. I would say Trippier, but I'd imagine that Shaw will be straight back in for the semi's. 

That being said, the personel on the pitch is the least of the problems. The calibre of players available and not a single big chance was created. That's unreal.

2 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Perfecting the Greek System beautifully 

If we win the comedown will be dizzying when we're 0-0 with Ireland in the 85th minute  of our Nations League B game September.

1 minute ago, Smallen said:

most confident I’ve ever been watching a pen shootout as an England fan. Never any doubt at all that we’d win it. 

I wouldn't got that far but was definitely confident after we scored a couple. Saka's especially

15 minutes ago, DJ said:

Heh, my decision to take a nap after the first 90 minutes has been fully vindicated :D 

You are lucky - most people who fell asleep during that game didn't choose to do so.

Just now, Wavelberry said:

The absolute gear change on the punditry is hilarious isn't it. This is no different to any other time guyse.

they’ve clearly been instructed to be more positive haven’t they, and in many ways I’m all for it if it helps the lads improve their performances.

1 minute ago, Vynal Seven said:

The more I listen to him the more I think that Gareth thinks he’s coaching an U7’s side where you’ve got to be positive no matter what. 

Been like that for years

they’ve clearly been instructed to be more positive haven’t they, and in many ways I’m all for it if it helps the lads improve their performances.

Narrator: It won't

Overall, we're two wins from a trophy with a squad without a fit left-footed left back. I think if we get a less cautious manager to replace Southgate and can keep certain players fit, we're well set for the next decade or so. Kane really needs to look over his shoulder as he's done nothing.

Imagine that, 

“So Jude, you’ve won the Euro’s with England, how did you manage it?”

“Well, Micah Richards started being a bit more positive on punditry.”

11 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

Doesn't matter whether it's Saka, Gordon, Shaw.... just someone has to overlap and offer a wide option, ideally on both wings. Soon as Saka has someone overlapping, what do you know, he's able to cut inside, find space and shoot. If not, no dice because the defender has one job which is to block him on his left foot.

The whole rest of the game (and others) was defined by our predictability on both wings, with players cutting inside totally predictably, no need to cover the outside, easy to block the cross or shot and double up on them. It doesn't work. Soon as we have overlaps / width, these players come alive and we get crosses in. We spend so much time each game giving the opposing fullbacks zero difficult choices to make, which is why we go from side to side and back again, over and over again.

Probably a moot point as Southgate would still start Walker, but White/Saka partnership if White hadn’t fallen out with Steve Holland would have us scoring more goals or at least creating more chances I think. 

4 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Overall, we're two wins from a trophy with a squad without a fit left-footed left back. I think if we get a less cautious manager to replace Southgate and can keep certain players fit, we're well set for the next decade or so. Kane really needs to look over his shoulder as he's done nothing.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, PaulHartman71 said:

White hadn’t fallen out with Steve Holland would have us scoring more goals or at least creating more chances I think. 

Wasn’t this disputed? I thought it was nothing more than a theory. 

1 minute ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Probably a moot point as Southgate would still start Walker, but White/Saka partnership if White hadn’t fallen out with Steve Holland would have us scoring more goals or at least creating more chances I think. 

Does Holland go if Southgate goes?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Smallen said:

It's pretty embarrassing really. They're supposed to be pundits, not cheerleaders.

It hasn't helped with the performances, btw. Still terrible.

Edited by EnterUsernameHere

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Wasn’t this disputed? I thought it was nothing more than a theory. 

Was reported by fairly reliable sources (think Telegraph’s head football writer) so I presume it’s true. 

6 minutes ago, Smallen said:

that’s why we use if as a conditional clause, een :D

:D

Would love it if when England win it, Gareth gives the credit to Lineker for not calling England s h i t from the QFs onwards, mind :D

35 minutes ago, Gary_Parker said:

Good penalties from the England lads, all 5 were well taken.

Got to love Rio Ferdinand, possibly the dumbest pundit this side of Paul Merson. Yesterday claimed that penalties were a lottery (even that is just wrong) and that all the practice you can do doesn't mean much. Yet tonight saying he had no doubt because the players have practiced. 

probably helps that most of them were regular penalty takers for their club rather than somebody like Carragher saying he'll take one (think he missed one in 2006? could be wrong) or it could be another penalty shoot out :D

7 minutes ago, TM said:

probably helps that most of them were regular penalty takers for their club rather than somebody like Carragher saying he'll take one (think he missed one in 2006? could be wrong) or it could be another penalty shoot out :D

Yeah this is such a good point, makes such a difference.

Well, I thought I was watching a football match but ended up on the front row of a boxing match instead :lol:

Great stuff. Football was just a background bit for a wee bit.

Final is going to be Southgate Vs Deschamps for the King ********* of Europe. And there is nothing anyone can do about it!