Which highlighted attributes are key and which are important? Green or blue?

I saw a video by Zealand saying highlighted Green attributes are key for the role, whereas highlighted Blue attributes are only important (lesser)

I always thought it was the other way around?

On 07/07/2024 at 12:12, 2feet said:

I saw a video by Zealand saying highlighted Green attributes are key for the role, whereas highlighted Blue attributes are only important (lesser)

I always thought it was the other way around?

The key attributes will be entirely dependent on your tactic. A player will use all attributes to execute his role, not jus the highlighted ones.

It does go green first, blue second for what the game recommends. For example if you're playing a progressive, high lines approach then speed will be much more important on your centerbacks then height...despite what the guide will indicate. Highlighted attributes do a poor job of indicating how pivotal some mental attributes like concentration are for defensive roles imo. 

It can be useful to get a general idea of what a role will do...ie. a bwm demands aggro/bravery etc. Take them with a grain of salt.

Edited by Cloud9

• 2 weeks later...

If it can help you it is possible to find the weights the game is assigning to each stats for each role. For instance acceleration has a weight of 10 for the purpose of CA calculation while teamwork has a CA of 1 for a striker. This gives according to me a much better view of what stat is important and what is not. 

In that example acceleration is absolutely key while teamwork is near useless. 

29 minutes ago, dankrzyz said:

“Primary” and “secondary” (green vs. blue) would a nifty tooltip to add in future versions. 

It's literally there in the game

On 07/07/2024 at 20:18, XaW said:

The game says Green are Key and Blue are Preferable.

image.png.4a72d4e93a0498454e722ddd1cefe2c3.png

1 hour ago, Xavin said:

If it can help you it is possible to find the weights the game is assigning to each stats for each role. For instance acceleration has a weight of 10 for the purpose of CA calculation while teamwork has a CA of 1 for a striker. This gives according to me a much better view of what stat is important and what is not. 

In that example acceleration is absolutely key while teamwork is near useless. 

Attribute weights are not at all a good way to understand what is key for a role and what is not. Not to mention keeping all that information to hand to check against players would be tedious in game, just using the in-game guide for each role available is far easier.

I disagree with that. It's very easy to export all the stats of your squad in excel and have a couple of formulas to give them a grade (which can be done using the weights or something else). 

In fact I can assess any squad in seconds with my spreadsheet. 

Then when it comes to the key stats my experience is completely different. Ultimately the only thing that matters is CA unless you have some really weird players that would have 20 in all physical stats and 1 everywhere else. They would technically have a very low CA but still be the best players but I have never met such a player outside of an experiment. 

Also no matter what your role is most of the stats make very little difference. For as long as I can remember and I have been playing FM for over 20 years it's all about physical stats in general and especially pace and acceleration (which are always highly weighted so that's a hint). 

The weights are not always correct but it takes a lot of experience to know what is or not so saying look at the weights was an easy and I maintain very elegant solution. 

When the OP becomes more confident he will realize that tackling is useless on a CD despite being key for the role while pace and acceleration being very important even not being part of the role. 

As a researcher I can promise you there isn't some hidden hint in the weighting of acceleration/pace. They're strong modifiers to what a player can do. As attributes at a high level though effectively deploying them on the pitch is within itself a skill. 

If you play a deep formation, looking to hit the opponent on the counter pace among the front line is a very important attribute and acceleration in many situations is a lot less relevant. If you play very high up the pitch with a high press and look to counter as soon as you get the ball then acceleration will substantially skew ahead of pace because then it's mostly the need for quick movement over 10 yards instead of 50+. If you play a more patient system that is high up the pitch you can sacrifice pace and acceleration in exchange for first touch, technique, off the ball and anticipation. 

Attribute weights don't change on a role by role basis, only positionally. So the in-game guide for roles will be more suitable. You can create a matrix in excel to account for differences in roles and go further to factor in tactical choices but it's not easier than just using what is available already. Even if you do put in that effort, there's no guarantee it's right. Of course there's a degree of bias but just having player filters set at a number of different thresholds for attributes and searching with those is still an easier solution in the game without needing to set up anything externally.

I'm playing possession based football with a high line and I would still take a striker with 20 pace and 20 acceleration even if he has 1 finishing and 1 composure over a player that would have the exact inverse attributes. Obviously such an extreme example never materializes in real life but you get the idea. Relevant stats have been tested to death in FM over the years and physical stats have pretty much always been "meta" regardless of the kind of football you are playing. 

Likewise the game is generating on average way more good wingers than good wingbacks or defensive midfielders so it makes sense to use a system with attacking midfielders left and right (which main attributes are pace and acceleration BTW 😉). 

Not saying you cannot win with a different set up but it's just way easier to win in FM when you have strong physical stats. 

As I said earlier unless you find players with an extremely unbalanced profile it always make sense for me to field the highest CA one (based on my recalculation I'm playing without the editor). It would take up a lot to compensate for 10 CA points which is also the reason why on average multi role players (defensive midfielder, midfielder, offensive midfielder for instance) are bad because it will eat away CA points.