The Final: Spain vs England live from the Olympiastadion, Berlin. BBC1 AND ITV1. Sunday 8pm

Who will be the winner?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/07/24 at 18:59

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, CFuller said:

0-0 HT.

Spain perhaps the better team, but neither team has really come close to scoring. England certainly won't while Kane insists on turning this formation into a 3-5-2-0.

England defence has been the stand-out so far. Stones and Guéhi been solid while Shaw has had Yamal completely nullified.

England have managed things at the back quite well. Particularly any Spain counterattack - have always forced them to turn back and reset whenever there's been any sniff of a counter.

Not sure you'd want to play an entire game like this - you're taking a chance giving a team like Spain, with their individual quality, this much of the ball and seeing if they can create an opportunity.

Decent that. If you’re not happy, you obviously don’t remember the 10-15 big games where we went 1-0 up in the first half and then spaffed away the lead.

Edited by Rob1981

Terrible game really, England very tight together and making it difficult. Probably look more likely to score though, IMO so that's probably Southgate's tactic.

Rice, Shaw, Stones and Guehi are playing so well.

Bellingham, Mainoo, Kane, Foden - Pretty dismal

Not sure most entertaining half, both teams look scared to lose it rather than going for the win. Shaw’s been our best player by a mile, makes such a difference on that side having him in the team 

Sounds like a reach, but that poor pass from Morata when Nico (I think) would be clear through on goal was the chance Spain were looking for.

He completely ruined the simplest lay-off pass and that would've been a better chance than anything they can create against deep block.

1 minute ago, aiston said:

Bellingham and Kane offering nothing.

Shaw's been fantastic.

Bellingham has won virtually every long ball played towards him but they've come to nothing as there's nobody to run on to the headers when he wins them. Wouldn't blame Jude for that - a striker that can chase them down comes on and we're praising his link up play.

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Decent that. If you’re not happy, you obviously don’t remember the 10-15 big games where we took a 1-0 lead in the first half and then spaffed away the lead.

If you score in the last 5 minutes you don't have time to concede. :brock:

3 minutes ago, TalkSport said:

Not created anything clear (thanks to Morata terrible pass) but it’s not sustainable conceding this possession and needing to travel 70 yards for an attack. Loads of crosses by Spain which have been bad. We’ve had like one cross.

No I agree, certainly need to improve.

Kept Yamal quiet really well, defended well, been pretty weak in forward situations.

Worst thing about it so far is that they really have ruined an iconic Springsteen song.

Also, if someone could wrestle the microphone away from Ferdinand, that would be wonderful. 

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Decent that. If you’re not happy, you obviously don’t remember the 10-15 big games where we went 1-0 up in the first half and then spaffed away the lead.

I'd prefer to be ahead than 0-0.

One thing that’s different between sides, the player movement. Moving to opposite wings, Rodri coming really wide so it pulls out Foden and allows CBs to come out in the middle. 

Bellingham LW really isn’t ideal, but as a moment player I guess needs must.

Wouldn't call that good, but think we were at worst fine. Good defensively, couple of good looking opportunities we've not made most of. Need to be better in possession overall. 

1 minute ago, JJ72 said:

I'd prefer to be ahead than 0-0.

Yeah, because that has always worked out brilliantly :D 

Better to be 0-0 at HT with another gear to go up than it is to be 1-0 ahead but already digging in to defend the lead.

If Kane scores and wins the golden boot, it'll be delicious, hilarious and the greatest injustice in recent football. 

Just anonymous again, can't be fit surely 

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Better to be 0-0 at HT with another gear to go up than it is to be 1-0 ahead but already digging in to defend the lead.

Better to be 0-0 than 1-0 up. :lol:

Thank Gareth for that wisdom. It explains a lot.

Edited by JJ72

1 minute ago, Andrew_ said:

Why don’t you list out all the big games we held a 1-0 lead at HT and went on to win? I’ll wait.

3 minutes ago, Andrew_ said:

This rethoric will always be annoying to me since 2004 Croatia-England game.

We took the lead in like 5th minute, got battered in what should've been like 7-2 or something and the main takeaway from expert analysts was that we scored too early. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

I did a whole list of games last time you brought this up, we are no better when the game is level later on than when we've taken an early lead

Why don’t you list out all the big games we held a 1-0 lead at HT and went on to win? I’ll wait.

Why don't you research whether 1-0 or 0-0 at half time leads to a win more?

• Administrators

I thought first half had a number of positives, we are growing into the game. We can still do this. :) 

• Administrators
Just now, SteveUK said:

Should have subbed Kane off.

Nonsense. No need to yet.