Jim Bristow/Serpico has died

bell

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus only saw this after someone mentioned it in another thread.

Not going to pretend i knew him well or that he knew me but he has been here ever since i joined and it's just...wow.

Always a great laugh whenever i saw him post and may he RIP :(

• SI Staff
I find it hard to think of anyone who has been as consistently proactive and productive as Serpico on these forums.

He devoted himself to these forums, and to the FM cause. The hours he spent moderating, beta testing, researching, and communicating with us all...the daft bugger.

Devastating news.

Really shocked and a bit shaken. I mean genuinely - it's easy to just glibly say that in a thread on an internet forum but reading the thread was genuinely a 'gulp/sharp intake of breath' moment. Something you never really think you're going to read.

Pretty much just going to repeat what many have said, but then I guess that says something in itself. Didn't have as much interaction with Serps as others clearly had, but do remember a few discussions, a comedy warning and a few PMs when I maybe overstepped the mark, where others would probably have carded me. Definitely the fairest, most level-headed mod on here, and a very good poster in his own right - more like an established popular user who happened to have mod rights than a moderator who occasionally posted, like many are. Above all that though really he was just a big part of the furniture, someone who's always been on here regularly and prominently for the 6/7 years I've been a member on here, as well as being a huge part of the creation of otf2. Internet forums are pretty fickle and people come and go and are quickly forgotten, even prominent people, but Serps will definitely be a big miss.

I'm really shocked by this, pretty much speechless. I've sometimes wondered if people on here, or otf2 would find out if I died, but this still hits home pretty hard. You don't really think of people behind the user names like this unless you interact with them off of the board. Didn't know what to think when I found out about this a short while ago and still pretty lost for words.

Great man.

In a forum with so many different personalities, beliefs and opinions that has been around for such a long time, it says everything that there is not one single member on here who could say a bad word about Serps. I wont profess to have known him well or even interacted with him at all outside of him giving me my warnings/infractions, but he was clearly a top human being.

RIP

Whatever I say now will have been posted already, and in a much better way, but I feel obliged to add my condolences.

I don't think I ever spoke directly to him in a thread, but I remember thinking many a time how he was always friendly, funny, helpful and so much more - yet remained completely authorative and respected as a mod.

He really did seem like a fantastic bloke and I'm taken aback by how hard this has hit me given that I barely knew him.

It's tough enough to reach as many posts as he did, but even harder when every single one would've have been helpful or witty, and no other user could boast such a high quality to quantity ratio.

Also would like to echo the comments about how no posts have been insincere. A thread like this shows why the word "community" is so apt for these forums.

RIP Serps :(

Just shocked. Always one of those people I noticed, through FM, his posts about driving and in general, andhim being a moderator/FM researcher. Not sure what else to say.

RIP Serpico

I've only just recieved this sad news and am speechless.

I've gotton to know 'Serps' via our fondess of the PC gaming title 'ARMA II' (Armed Assault II) and both gamed within the same gaming squad/clan/group and I've really enjoyed his company (what a character, especially when Purefun has also been around).

The gaming group we've been part of (Volcbat - www.volcbat.com) pass on their condolences, as do I.

RIP Jim (Serps), and condolences out to everyone that knew him.

(I hope they have ARMA II where you are now. You'll be sorely missed as VCB's 3 Section Delta LMG Gunner)

Serps man, i don't remember too much about any interaction we may have had on this site over the years...whether or not you voted for me in botu, or posted in my topics... the fact remains...this site has been a part of my life the last 8 years or whatever it has been, and you've always been a name that has stuck with me,, whether it's been a t-shirt i've seen with 'serpico', or someone else going by the same nickname...

my thoughts with your family. RIP big guy. x

Wow, horrific unexpected news. Regretfully I'd never spoken too much to Jim, nor did I know him very well, but his fantastic personality and humour shone on each and every post he made. Truthfully, one of the reasons I check OTF every day.

R.I.P. Jim :(

The gaming group we've been part of (Volcbat - www.volcbat.com) pass on their condolences, as do I.

I'm a bit of an emotional guy, always have been.

the sentiments detailed in that link made me cry :(

so many knew him outside of our forum and they all feel the same.

Must have been some guy to know personally :thup:

• SI Staff

Ah, bugger. That's all that comes to mind. I didn't know him personally, but obviously know of him and his dedication to FM and the community.

Sad news, a big loss, and my warmest condolences to anyone who knew him.

Rest in peace.

Not a regular contributor to these forums myself, I had got used to Serpico as an integral part of this community and always appreciated what he contributed to any discussion he became involved in.

Was a complete shocker to read that he is now no longer with us and will take a while to adapt to a post-Serpico OTF.

Sincerest condolences to his friends and family.

RIP Serpico.

A tremendously selfless person who made an immeasurable contribution to these forums and the Football Manager game itself. An outstanding example to us all.

RIP Serpico.

Picture this:

FM11.

You check out Hull City's favoured personnel page. Nothing there...

...surely wouldn't be too hard to hide him in there as an easter egg for the savvy users amongst us to unlock? His profile could contain a rundown of his life and SI career, and the high level of respect he had.

Or maybe create him as an ever present regen?

This is not the news that I expected to wake up to. Serpico (Jim) was genuine and although I never interacted with him very often, I had a lot of respect for him for all that he has done around here.

My condolences go out to his family and also best wishes to Steve and a big thanks to him for letting us know of the news.

RIP Jim.

I think it sums him up to say that i can't think of anyone who's managed to be as influential, and more importantly well liked and respected on these forums, as just a user. So to then manage to achieve that level of both affection and respect as a mod, an infinitely harder proposition, says it all about the man.

i can't claim i knew him well, yet i'll miss him. RIP Serpico.

Archived