ri916's FM14 Anglo/Euro Youth Academy Challenge

Love it when youths come through with Model Professional as their initial personality! A lot of your initial worries about tutoring etc. already taken care of and you are safe in the knowledge they will rarely cause you issues as you train them up!

When I get something like model professional I'm counting down the years until they're 24 and can start spreading it like a virus through the side.

On the other hand I hate ambitious, I know it's supposed to be good but all they do is moan they want more money and bigger clubs. I beat that out of them at a young age now.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I was going to get straight back to work after the write-up, but of course this is FM, so "one more week"....

Was it last year there were issues with the implementation of the board philosiphies? Was it ri916 who encountered the issue that it wasn't recognizing you playing your youth products and causing issues with the board?

Well, that is well and truely fixed in FM14!

After my season ended I was at 100% board confidence for our agreed philosophy of giving youth a chance, and then I just tried a board request and the following conversation was the result!!!

Youth Recruitment Request Conversation

Check out the wording. They agreed to it due to our agreed upon club philosophy. Fixed and flourishing as a fluid part of the game! :thup: to SI

Nice one! I think it was me who first reported the issue to SI at least and posted a bit about it then. It looks like it works properly this time around though as the board are delighted with the youths getting matches in my game. I've been turned down at every corner from the board though because we don't have any cash. :(

Sacked again (this time with Larisa in Greece).

We were doing really well. Just outside the playoffs, we beat a top division side 3-1 away from home to practically guarantee our place in the Greek Cup quarter finals. Things were looking ok...

and then we lost about 7 league games in a row. When the board said they were thinking of sacking me, I got a month's reprieve, during which I picked up 2 wins and 3 draws in the league, (plus beat the top division side at home to cement the quarter final place). The trouble was that a couple of those draws were at home against the bottom sides. The board then wanted 11 points from the next 5 games. I managed 5 points, I think. With one league game to go, we were safe from relegation, but when you're the 5th most successful side in greek football history, I wasn't going to get any thanks for that.

What went wrong. Well, our strikers were rubbish. I had a very promising youngster, but he didn't do any better than any of the others,. All too often we'd be the better side, but be at 0-0 or 1-0 up, and then concede a goal (or three) at the end of the match. My hot prospects didn't perform well when I played them, thus the 7 game losing streak.

So sacked twice, which I think is twice as often as I've been sacked the last 10 or so incarnations of Football Manager. Perhaps this is therapeutic for the soul.

I thought about trying Formartine next, but as someone else is playing them (and you can't get any other Scottish side in 2015) I'll probably return to Italy to give Piacenza a new go after a completely new holiday man year.

Leça

Bartrcm - Leça- National Championship - A 2015/16

Pre-season

2 wins and 4 losses. Not good but better than last year.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198074895983/screenshot/560989571788124607

Players:

This will be my starting line-up

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198074895983/screenshot/560989571788121227

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198074895983/screenshot/560989571788121227

625997.jpg

Table - Position Graph - Finances - Transfer - Squad

Skrill North - 18th / FA Cup - Terrible / FA Trophy - Terrible

Well we managed to improve on last seasons 19th place by finishing one spot better. We really don't appear to have any problems creating chances but when the resulting shot lands nearer the corner flag it makes for very frustrating viewing. I started out playing 4132 but ended up playing a simple 442 towards the end of the season. Although I think my defence is the strong point in the team the opposition score from corners or crosses whenever they feel like they want to!

Key Youth Players

Nigel Faulkner YP01b - Nigel has certainly kicked on towards the end of the season putting in the some more solid performances than shockers. Is now our best Centreback.

Ant Mills YP01a - Our young Goalkeeper managed 26 appearances this season. Maybe his lack of Aerial Ability is the reason we concede from so many corners/crosses.

Neill Winslade YP01c - The focal point of our attack. I lost Thompson half way through the season as he was on non-contract terms so Neill was our only real striking option.

Youth Intake

Another promising youth intake.

Martin Kenyon - The most promising player to come through this intake.

Fred Garrity - Two Goalkeepers in the intake was probably one to many but Fred may be able to help out with our corner/crosses problem. Aerial Ability of 11 but maybe lacking in height at 5'10!

Kyle Richards - With a lack of strikers at the club Kyle will probably get 20-25 games this season.

Virat Gopaul - Assistant rated him 3.5 stars but I have high hopes for this young man. Already looks like he could challenge for the 1st team and coming through with 8 strength was what made me notice him.

Goals

We really need to start kicking on higher up the league so a mid table finish would be good.

Concede less than 65 goals!

Avoid Relegation - Completed Waheyyyyyyy

4 Youth to be in starting 11 - Think I managed 3 by the end of the season.

Edit: Missed some screenshots so will try and update when im home

Braumiller - Thats was one fantastic season! Good luck in Skrill Premier. I haven't yet had the same experiences regarding philosophies, the "playing youth products" have been at 50 % for 2 years now. But that board interaction sure look awesome!

Maybe it's because of the patch but the 50 % suddenly skyrocketed to 92 %, so I guess it works now.

I don't know how you are handling contracts in England, but I'm afraid that I will lose 4 of my best players next season... No one wants to resign (they even don't want to negotiate) and still I can offer only 2 year contracts... I am around 500k in black (earned 250k this season) and 2k under wage budget...

I don't know how you are handling contracts in England, but I'm afraid that I will lose 4 of my best players next season... No one wants to resign (they even don't want to negotiate) and still I can offer only 2 year contracts... I am around 500k in black (earned 250k this season) and 2k under wage budget...

The reason you can only offer 2 year extensions is because the Part-Time contracts have that cap.

I'm also having some trouble with contracts, players always want a minimum of 100 p/w raise when offering a contract, taking a toll on the budget. They always so they're not so interested in extending with my club.

4850.png

Hampton and Richmond Season 2016/17 Review

Skrill South

Table - Graph - Finances - Transfers - Squad

A very up and down season. A solid start with 10 points from the first 4 games before a bad middle that at one stage saw us lose 6 games in a row and drop down to 15th. Then a change in formation (I tried lots of formations to get us out of our poor spell) saw us go on a pretty good run for a great end. We ended the season with only one defeat in our final 12 games that saw us fly up the table. Going into the final day we were 6th 2 points behind Dartford in the final playoff place. Our opponents on the last day? Dartford at home, we had a few injuries and were sadly unable to beat them as we drew 1-1. Dartford would go on to win the playoffs

FA Cup

Another poor run

FA Trophy

Pretty much the same as the FA cup

Key Players

Jonny Cuthbert (YP01F) - 21 goals from the youngster this season as he took his chance to lead our attack

Charlie Reece - was excellent once I changed formation but wants to move to a bigger club an is out of contract so will need to be replaced

Olly Witherspoon - Has already played 104 league games for us at 19 and once I moved on the left wing as a IF he even chipped in with 11 goals

Pat O'Brein (YP02C) - broke into the team in the final few games and looked right at home

Youth Intake

Very excited by this one as got a couple of real gems

Jordan McQuilken (YP03A) - 15 years of age and my coaches say he could play in league 2. Already made his debut for us and has a goal and assist

Osa Bacon (YP03B) - apart from the awesome surname I think he could be a big player for us with some coaching

Mauricio Dickinson (YP03C) - 15 year old RB that my coaches think could be a leading Skrill Premier player. Oh and he's from Chile (with and English passport) :cool:

Allan Georgiou (YP03D) - another GK, this one could play in Skrill Prem and has better starting stats then my current number 1

Season      League           Position      Achievements

2014/15     Skrill South     6th            N/A
2015/16     Skrill South     14th          N/A
2016/17     Skrill South     6th            N/A

The reason you can only offer 2 year extensions is because the Part-Time contracts have that cap.

I'm also having some trouble with contracts, players always want a minimum of 100 p/w raise when offering a contract, taking a toll on the budget. They always so they're not so interested in extending with my club.

Well for most teams, part-time contracts have 3 year cap.

Leça

The first phase is over and it went extremely well. I've finished second, and go to the promotion stages.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198074895983/screenshot/560989571803146571

I won this second place after an almost perfect last 10 games, with 8 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198074895983/screenshot/560989571803159515

I'm going to try to win this Promotion play-off, but I don't think i'm ready to go up.

4850.png

Hampton and Richmond Season 2016/17 Review

Skrill South

Table - Graph - Finances - Transfers - Squad

A very up and down season. A solid start with 10 points from the first 4 games before a bad middle that at one stage saw us lose 6 games in a row and drop down to 15th. Then a change in formation (I tried lots of formations to get us out of our poor spell) saw us go on a pretty good run for a great end. We ended the season with only one defeat in our final 12 games that saw us fly up the table. Going into the final day we were 6th 2 points behind Dartford in the final playoff place. Our opponents on the last day? Dartford at home, we had a few injuries and were sadly unable to beat them as we drew 1-1. Dartford would go on to win the playoffs

FA Cup

Another poor run

FA Trophy

Pretty much the same as the FA cup

Key Players

Jonny Cuthbert (YP01F) - 21 goals from the youngster this season as he took his chance to lead our attack

Charlie Reece - was excellent once I changed formation but wants to move to a bigger club an is out of contract so will need to be replaced

Olly Witherspoon - Has already played 104 league games for us at 19 and once I moved on the left wing as a IF he even chipped in with 11 goals

Pat O'Brein (YP02C) - broke into the team in the final few games and looked right at home

Youth Intake

Very excited by this one as got a couple of real gems

Jordan McQuilken (YP03A) - 15 years of age and my coaches say he could play in league 2. Already made his debut for us and has a goal and assist

Osa Bacon (YP03B) - apart from the awesome surname I think he could be a big player for us with some coaching

Mauricio Dickinson (YP03C) - 15 year old RB that my coaches think could be a leading Skrill Premier player. Oh and he's from Chile (with and English passport) :cool:

Allan Georgiou (YP03D) - another GK, this one could play in Skrill Prem and has better starting stats then my current number 1

Season      League           Position      Achievements

2014/15 Skrill South 6th N/A
2015/16 Skrill South 14th N/A
2016/17 Skrill South 6th N/A[/Code]

[/size]

Nice season mate. Maybe it's even better to stay in Skrill North/South than to go to Premier and get crushed because youngsters still did not develop.

I'm having trouble even getting my youth team players to sign another contract...!

Oh wow. Well I would want to see what's their reply to this. I'm arguing with them for the past week regarding contracts and they are convinced that everything is working fine...

Have you reported this in bugs forum?

Oh wow. Well I would want to see what's their reply to this. I'm arguing with them for the past week regarding contracts and they are convinced that everything is working fine...

Have you reported this in bugs forum?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=190226683

He signs the original one when he turned 17, but i've waited less than six months into that contract to tie him down longer and it says that. The thing that bothers me the most is that there is no option to offer at least the existing contract to ensure I could get compensation for him as an U23 player. Unless this doesn't apply to German teams?

I think the players on this game know too much about how good they can become. His current ability is assessed at being a good player at a regional division club, therefore he should only expect a low contract as he doesn't personally know how good he's going to become. The fact that he's predicted to become a good bundesliga striker but my gripe is he should not know that currently and therefore contract negotiations should reflect this

Nice season mate. Maybe it's even better to stay in Skrill North/South than to go to Premier and get crushed because youngsters still did not develop.

Yeah that's my thinking. This next season will be (fingers crossed) a real attempt to push for promotion.

Can somebody explain me how I can put names in the link, instead of the http:....?

Highlight the word you want to use as a link, then click on the globe with binoculars and paste your link to the picture

Yeah that's my thinking. This next season will be (fingers crossed) a real attempt to push for promotion.

Highlight the word you want to use as a link, then click on the globe with binoculars and paste your link to the picture

OK, thanks. Will try it in the next update.

Things were going well in Scotland until we had a lot of injuries and with a team of only 18 players we started to lose a lot of games...so i have been sacked! I think i will restart in Sweden because in Scotland i can only retry with Formartine and i want to change team...

Wow, the new patch really screwed my tactic.

1. I don't have any good wingers, so I play through the middle without wingers.

2. I have short defenders so I struggle with crosses

3. I play short passes with slow tempo as I have technical players, but not that much pace compared to the rest of the teams.

All those points are precisely what just about everyone on the forum advises against now after the patch. I didn't try it until now, and I'm being overrun. And it's in the finishing part of the season while we are fighting for promotion. Not the best time for a patch to destroy my tactic. :(

Gonna try to build a new one now, wondering how wing backs work with the new patch...?

Wow, the new patch really screwed my tactic.

1. I don't have any good wingers, so I play through the middle without wingers.

2. I have short defenders so I struggle with crosses

3. I play short passes with slow tempo as I have technical players, but not that much pace compared to the rest of the teams.

All those points are precisely what just about everyone on the forum advises against now after the patch. I didn't try it until now, and I'm being overrun. And it's in the finishing part of the season while we are fighting for promotion. Not the best time for a patch to destroy my tactic. :(

Gonna try to build a new one now, wondering how wing backs work with the new patch...?

Which update? 14.1.1 should just fix crashing issue...

Ok, finally got some response regarding contract issues: (link)

I really hope that it's going to get fixed soon...

Luckily I haven't experienced this in Portugal and I can sign players for 3 year deal(semi-pro). I'm just struggling with my tactics after the patch :rolleyes:

Luckily I haven't experienced this in Portugal and I can sign players for 3 year deal(semi-pro). I'm just struggling with my tactics after the patch :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear that XaW. I'm also playing in Portugal and I don't have any issues with my tactics after the patch.

I'm sorry to hear that XaW. I'm also playing in Portugal and I don't have any issues with my tactics after the patch.

I think it's mostly down to me not using wide players ahead of the full backs. Conceding from crosses all day long. Worked before the patch, but now the full backs seemed nerfed and they can't block a cross to save their lives. Gonna try to build a new one, but need to get this guy to work out. He has been a monster in my current tactic.

Edit: Maybe I can retrain him to AMC to be a Trequartista....

Just had a takeover which has given me some funds and added some more loans!

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=a6BMdyuA%2FVyXsT5xVjnskIh4l5k2TGxc#.UnApExDHkQ8

Oh so your considering sacking me, why thank you. The previous boss got linked with the job and turned up at the next home game....

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=a6BMdyuA%2FVwHimXsuAOmL4h4l5k2TGxc#.UnApJRDHkQ8

That's great thank you for ALLOWING me to stay on as manager! Am I only allowed to stay until the man you want becomes available?

I can see me and Mr Hawthorne really getting along :rolleyes:

Played 13 games with the update scoring 35 goals and conceding 23! Something just doesn't feel right at the minute although that could just be because I am sitting in 9th with a game in hand :lol:

130px-Piacenza_calcio_fc_zps8c2d9d4e.png

So I'm starting in Italy at Piacenza. Funny story. I thought I'd managed them before and was sacked after nearly getting them relegated. However, I woke up this morning, with my hair much longer than last night, and heard the shower running. I opened the shower only to discover the Piacenza Chairman Marco Gatti inside with only a job contract to cover his dignity. Turns out it was all a dream.

(I accept that anybody under the age of about 40 won't understand the pop cultural references and instead think that I'm dragging some kind of homo-erotic aspect into this challenge. Ask your parents, kids).

Anyway, I'm the new manager of Piacenza.

There's been a few casting changes. I did a new holiday year, so the youth prospects are different.

As before, rather than sticking things on the end of their names, I stick an 'Uno' for year one at the start. Say hello to my prodigios.

Bertoni

Pincolini

Perico

So, once more unto the breach.

I think it's mostly down to me not using wide players ahead of the full backs. Conceding from crosses all day long. Worked before the patch, but now the full backs seemed nerfed and they can't block a cross to save their lives. Gonna try to build a new one, but need to get this guy to work out. He has been a monster in my current tactic.

It's a problem even if you do have wide players. My best solution, as illogical as it sounds, is to play the full backs as complete wing backs with "get further forward" and "stay wider". Seems the more attacking I make them the more defensively stable the tactic is (maybe the more attacking mentality causes them to close down harder? maybe the AI reacts by making its wingers more defensive? I don't know).

Grrr my 5 star prospect who was an original youth has been unwilling to negotiate with me for best part of a year, and now has a pre-contract offer from Stoke!! As if Stoke are going to be a fit for a small, skillfull Spanish attacker! Not even sure I get compensation for an out of contract 19yr old, but gutted to lose him.

Looks like YP00a might be no more :(

As if to balance out the blow (the barsteward went and signed the pre-contract with Stoke), I noticed this about YP02a.......

A star in the making?

Pretty sure ive never had anything like that from a youth in this challenge in many attempts, and whilst I liked the look of him at intake last year, I really didn't expect that!!

It's a problem even if you do have wide players. My best solution, as illogical as it sounds, is to play the full backs as complete wing backs with "get further forward" and "stay wider". Seems the more attacking I make them the more defensively stable the tactic is (maybe the more attacking mentality causes them to close down harder? maybe the AI reacts by making its wingers more defensive? I don't know).

It doesn't make sense no, but maybe I should give it a go. Tried out a 4-4-2-ish formation now and won 6-3 with both my wingers scoring 2 each on their debut, but the tactic is flawed so I think i need to scrap it. Gonna give your suggestions a go in next pre-season to see how we fare. To top of my issue my 2 best central defenders are pygmees with low jumping reach and they can't handle crosses. One of the games I played I brought up this towering kid I had in my youth team to give him a shot and he was brilliant stopping crosses from connecting. Seems the most important thing for defenders now are how tall they are. Maybe a higher defensive line would help as well to entice the opposition to try more through balls in order to avoid the flanks?

LuKo87- Good luck in Sweden. Formartine looks like a tough ask with only 18 players. At the moment my Piacenza squad has 31 (and that's after selling 1 or 2).

Jambo - (and quite a few of us). Bad luck on losing your guy to Stoke. maybe I'll make you all shout at me, but I understand why SI have coded it so youth players don't sign very long contracts, but it sucks to get nothing for him.

c4aught - I wouldn't worry about getting replaced. Chairmen like to be drama queens. they say that even when you're the most successful manager in club history.

Darren - Unlucky missing the playoffs again.

bartrcm - Hope the playoffs go well.

Leça

Season overview:

Pre season prediction: 6th

After 1st phase: 2nd

So we entered the promotion round. And that didn't start very well. After 6 games we only had 5 points, and I thought everything was over.

And then came this game. What happened there?

This game seemed to be the turning point of our promotion campaign. The next 2 games were won with 5-1 and 6-1.

Then our positive vibe suddenly stopped, with 2 losses in a row. Game over I thought, but the other teams who wanted 2de place (Boavista was way to strong in this playoff) also dropped points.

Last game of the playoff this was the standing.

Only in 5th place, but on equal points with number 2.

We had to win our game against number 3, and hoping that the game between number 2 and 4 was a draw.

We did our job fairly easy and won with 5-1

But what was the outcome of the other game?

A boring 0-0, and this send us through to the promotion playoff, where we will face Leiria who quicked us out of the cup. Pay-back time, I hope.

Promotion playoff leg 1.

A boring 0-0, so everything to play for. The only problem was that I didn't know if away goals count in this playoff final.

Promotion playoff leg 2

We did it!!!!!!!!!!

Leça will play in the second division next year, can you believe it?

I fear this promotion is to soon for us, but we will see. Next season I will have to play with a team with an average of 18-19 years old. I think it's impossible to stay up, but we will see.

I totaly forgot about our youth intake.

A very good intake. These are the best ones:

Daniel Brito (YP3a)

Francisco Vila Cova (YP3b)

Pedro Querido (YP3c)

Ezequiel Neves (YP3d). Allready played 5 or 6 games in the first team.

Felipe César Sampaio (YP3e)

Joaqium Silva (YP3f). Is our DR for next season. To soon, but I don't have any other options.

Transfers

Goals for next season:

Survive, survive, survive!!!!!!

A couple of weeks after our promotion, I got the message that we are a proffesional team. Great!!!!!!!!!

The firstt hing I have to do is give 5 year contracts to all off my best youth players.

One thing I forgot: The board wants to finish mid-table. Not realistic at all!!!!!

Braumillr - cheers. I was pleased with his call up as I trained him from a right winger to play as a attacking full back.

Vikeologist - Yeah was another close call for us. I think this season will see us finish in the playoffs at least.

Bartrcm​ - congrats on promotion :thup: and on turning pro - now sign those kids up :D

Bartrcm - Neves looks good, but I'm not sure what ability is what since it's in dutch. :lol: Still, I get some of the words, and it's surprisingly close to Norwegian in some cases so I'm guessing "Eerste meters" is acceleration (or rather first meters), "Snelheid" is pace and "Evenwicht" is balance (or rather equal weight?).

Only been to the Netherlands once and all I learned was "Ik wil negen(nechen) bier" or something! Yeah, nine was the number I learned! :D

Better than expected so far **. Only in October due to not getting to play too much the past couple of days. Hoping to change that tonight though /fingercrossed

** - I had really low expectations, so this isn't really a spoiler. Or is it? Or am I double faking you out. Or am I...... :D

Archived