The Official England World Cup Thread

AndyFal36

Defoe poodled off to North America and he really thought he was gonna be in the England squad. Get over, you knobber

but but but Hodgson said I'd still be considered :rolleyes: I'd have been amazed and disappointed if we'd picked Defoe again

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Defoe poodled off to North America and he really thought he was gonna be in the England squad. Get over, you knobber

but but but Hodgson said I'd still be considered :rolleyes: I'd have been amazed and disappointed if we'd picked Defoe again

Well, he plays for the same club as Brazils #1 goalie and they're favourite to win :D

Haha just read Defoe's comments.

'When you've been involved in every squad and then the World Cup comes around and you're not in the 23, it's hard to take' - that was when he played in a proper league. I'm not sure what he expects, moving to the MLS. If England had no competition whatsoever for places, then he'd have a point. But if he cared so much about the World Cup he wouldn't have gone chasing the money.

I feel it was one of those conversations like

"So, what you're telling me, Roy is if I move to Canada I can still be in the World Cup"

"Sure, sure, buddy. As much chance as if you stayed here"

I didn't want him in the squad even if he stayed in England. Shows you the attitude of some players though, thinking that getting in these squads is all that matters when it comes to World Cup places. Cleverley was in a lot of those squads too, so was Carrick. It doesn't work like that really

Those squads go back 2 years of qualifying, sunshine! A lot can happen

Paul Scholes says there is a chance that Wayne Rooney is past his peak and believes he should conserve his energy at the World Cup.

In a detailed assessment of Rooney in his blog for Paddy Power, Scholes suggested that a decision would need to be made on his place in the England team if he does not find form quickly in Brazil, but also insisted that the Manchester United player could have a successful future in central midfield.

Rooney will be under pressure to shine for Roy Hodgson's men after disappointing at a couple of previous World Cups, but Scholes reckons that his enthusiasm needs to be controlled.

The former midfielder thinks Rooney may have reached his potential a couple of years ago and now, at the age of 28, must keep his discipline to perform the role that is best for the team.

Scholes wrote: "He's got a brilliant scoring record for his country with 38 goals in 89 internationals, but he's played in eight World Cup games without a goal. You expect more of him. If Wayne is going to be one of the best footballers in the world, this World Cup is where he has to produce.

"Maybe Wayne has felt the pressure of playing for England in the last two World Cups when he's not scored. I know how difficult it can be.

"His best attributes are his energy, desire, a will to win which is unbelievable - but, above all, his goals.

"Wayne wants all the responsibility to score. He'll try to play left back, right back. Sometimes he does that too much instead of saving himself and his energy for what his teams need - the ball in the net.

"He needs to use his energy more effectively now as he's a player who likes to be up front on his own and I don't think he's great with partnerships."

Hodgson has other options at his disposal ahead of this summer's tournament and Scholes does not think that Rooney should be guaranteed a spot.

He said: "I'm not saying Wayne needs to be dropped but if form doesn't get up to scratch in the warm-ups, or in the first game of the World Cup, it'll be interesting to see if the England management team has the balls to make that decision.

"We have quality forwards in the squad this time. That should give Wayne the competition he needs to spur him on a little more.

"To get the very best from Wayne in Rio, the manager needs to tell him, 'Don't bother running back. Stay up top. Stay centre forward. Score goals. That's your job in my team'."

Scholes, who does not expect to have a coaching role at Manchester United next season after returning to Old Trafford to help out Ryan Giggs, feels Rooney will have to adapt his game and could prosper as a midfielder as the years go by.

Scholes added: "There's a chance he's worn out. Wayne's peak may have been a lot younger than what we'd expect of footballers traditionally.

"Age 28 or 29 has been the normal 'peak'. With Wayne, it could have been when he scored 27 league goals in 2011/2012 when he was 26.

"It'll be interesting next season with Louis van Gaal at Manchester United and how he decides to play Wayne.

"It looks like it might come to a straight choice between Wayne and Robin van Persie.

"Wayne might be a player who'd retire come 31 or 32, given the amount of football he's played. Ryan Giggs has been on the go for ages, but he adjusted his position. Can Wayne do the same?

"I don't think Wayne will be able to play centre forward until he's 34 or 35. But he could play centre midfield, possibly, into his mid-thirties.

"He's got all the ability to take over my old position at Manchester United. He has played some games there, but has never gone on an uninterrupted run. Whether he has the discipline to do it, right now I'm not sure."

Interesting. I've been his biggest critic over recent years but his stats this season have been awesome:

43 (3) apps

21 goals

16 assists

It's a fair point though. Tournaments are a snapshot and if he doesn't find form quickly maybe a decision will have to be made

We have rushed him back from injury before and he's clearly been struggling for form but next game, and next game thinking 'no, he'll come good' but now we perhaps have alternative ways to line up we can't afford to have him out of form for the opening two games without something being done about it

That may be pulling him off at 60 mins and if the replacement works out better than being brave enough to start that in the next game or make the change again

Why would you get slated for that? That's the only Rooney that has turned up for a major tournament so far. Hoping someone like Sterling/Barkley can do what he did then this year as I reckon we could have won that but for that cruel disallowed goal against Portugal :(

It's a fair point though. Tournaments are a snapshot and if he doesn't find form quickly maybe a decision will have to be made

We have rushed him back from injury before and he's clearly been struggling for form but next game, and next game thinking 'no, he'll come good' but now we perhaps have alternative ways to line up we can't afford to have him out of form for the opening two games without something being done about it

That may be pulling him off at 60 mins and if the replacement works out better than being brave enough to start that in the next game or make the change again

This, a half fit Rooney cannot do himself or the team justice. If he he isnt there, we shouldn't play him. The centre mid [art from Scholes is interesting, as it's something Rooney has talked about a couple of years ago.

I get slated for this but I genuinely prefer the Rooney of 2004, when he could beat players with pace and power.

Everyone prefers the Rooney of 2004!

Genuinely terrifying for defenders. Would pick up that ball anywhere and drive forward. Really gutted he got injured. We had a really good team

This, a half fit Rooney cannot do himself or the team justice. If he he isnt there, we shouldn't play him. The centre mid [art from Scholes is interesting, as it's something Rooney has talked about a couple of years ago.

I remember watching the Algeria game with anger just boiling up in my blood for how shockingly poor we were playing and Rooney being absolutely woeful, just beyond woeful

Genuinely terrifying for defenders. Would pick up that ball anywhere and drive forward. Really gutted he got injured. We had a really good team

Yup. Was just so raw and you could quite literately see the opposition ******** themselves everytime he got the ball. Never seen an English player do that before.

I'm not sure I prefer him tbh. I quite like the fit and on form modern day Rooney, who is lethal in his own right, and brings his teams mates into play. Let the youthful Sterling and Sturridge go the rampaging runs around him. That's the hope anyway. He might not be as exciting, but he is a lot more effective.

Yup. Was just so raw and you could quite literately see the opposition ******** themselves everytime he got the ball. Never seen an English player do that before.

I remember the buzz of when he was picked to start against Turkey in the quals

Squad numbers...

1. Joe Hart

2. Glen Johnson

3. Leighton Baines

4. Steven Gerrard

5. Gary Cahill

6. Phil Jagielka

7. Jack Wilshere

8. Frank Lampard

9. Daniel Sturridge

10. Wayne Rooney

11. Daniel Welbeck

12. Chris Smalling

13. Ben Foster

14. Jordan Henderson

15. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

16. Phil Jones

17. James Milner

18. Rickie Lambert

19. Raheem Sterling

20. Adam Lallana

21. Ross Barkley

22. Fraser Forster

23. Luke Shaw

Shaw and Lallana get the same numbers they have for Saints and Lambert can do a Zamorano and claim its 1 + 8 = 9

qgrLKXA.png

I concur - it's generally a good guide, but particularly with Lampard, it's just the number he always wears for England, so they won't change it for (what's probably going to be) his last few games.

Heard a lot about how England don't want to lose the opening game against Italy and that a draw would be a good result. But I have to disagree.

I think England, Italy and Uruguay will all beat Costa Rica, so means England will have to beat Uruguay to have any chance of going through the group otherwise Italy and Uruguay can play out a draw and both go through.

The fixtures have made this group even harder for England, can't see them getting through tbh.

e: Although a draw against both and then a higher scoring win against Costa Rica puts them through.

Heard a lot about how England don't want to lose the opening game against Italy and that a draw would be a good result. But I have to disagree.

I think England, Italy and Uruguay will all beat Costa Rica, so means England will have to beat Uruguay to have any chance of going through the group otherwise Italy and Uruguay can play out a draw and both go through.

The fixtures have made this group even harder for England, can't see them getting through tbh.

e: Although a draw against both and then a higher scoring win against Costa Rica puts them through.

Going into last game if we are on 2 points and both Uruguay and Italy are on 4 points with say +2 better GD, I can't see them taking their chances of a draw will put us both through, they'll be both going full out for the win which plays into our hands.

I think people are under rating Costa Rica a bit. I can see them getting a point or 2 off someone. Probably us

Sadly true :D

Opening game is when all the hope is there, they have Uruguay. Better chance of them maybe getting a result in that opening game. Come 2nd game they may have lost already and 3rd could be out already but in that opener nothing has happened yet so all the possibilities are on the table!

If we drew with both of those and beat Costa Rica surely that'd be enough. Only GD if the other two did the same thing and a winner in Italy/Uruguay would change things

Anyway, this is one for the 'how will the groups pan out' thread as it is NEVER this easy. I'll take 5 points from the group in a heartbeat though, thanks

I think England, Italy and Uruguay will all beat Costa Rica, so means England will have to beat Uruguay to have any chance of going through the group otherwise Italy and Uruguay can play out a draw and both go through. The fixtures have made this group even harder for England, can't see them getting through tbh.

I would say the exact opposite. Think the order of the matches definitely helps us. Italy game will almost certainly be a draw, given the sauna conditions and the fact that neither manager will want to lose their first match. Hodgson will probably set us up with Milner and a 4-4-2 and go out to at least get a point on the board. Then for Uruguay... if you assume they will have beaten Costa Rica in their opener, then they aren't going to take too many risks against us either. So could very easily be 2 points from the 2 tougher games, then we just need to beat the weakest team in the group to progress with 5 points. Whereas if we played Costa Rica first and got a win I don't think we would necessarily handle Italy/Uruguay if they were coming at us and really had to go for the three points.

Going into last game if we are on 2 points and both Uruguay and Italy are on 4 points with say +2 better GD, I can't see them taking their chances of a draw will put us both through, they'll be both going full out for the win which plays into our hands.

And this. Italy/Uruguay/England all finishing on 5 points is definitely feasible, but Italy and Uruguay aren't going to settle for a point if there is a chance of us knocking 3 or 4 past Costa Rica and improving our goal difference. Unless it's coming down to head to head records, then I suppose they could engineer a 6-6 draw.

Sadly true :D

Opening game is when all the hope is there, they have Uruguay. Better chance of them maybe getting a result in that opening game. Come 2nd game they may have lost already and 3rd could be out already but in that opener nothing has happened yet so all the possibilities are on the table!

If we drew with both of those and beat Costa Rica surely that'd be enough. Only GD if the other two did the same thing and a winner in Italy/Uruguay would change things

Anyway, this is one for the 'how will the groups pan out' thread as it is NEVER this easy. I'll take 5 points from the group in a heartbeat though, thanks

I'd take 5 points as well. Would be a bit cack if it meant we're out, but a lot of people aren't expecting us to go through the group stage anyway. Also, as has been pointed out, in the situation of us drawing vs Italy and Uruguay, they're not gonna sit back and play for a draw in the final match because it could easily see one of them out.

I doubt he'd start

I expect we'll go for more or less a strong team. No point putting the 19th guy on the list in, stick to the main 13 or 14 players

Wilshere probably needs some minutes. Ox too. Hopefully Lallana gets some game time as his season ended with a damp squib

Just seen an interesting article with what looks to me like an interesting and a bit different England line up.

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Gerrard Henderson Wilshere

Barkley

Rooney Sturridge

Was talking about having both Hendo and Wilshere doing the box to box stuff, giving Gerrard and Barkley more room to create then having Rooney up top to support Sturridge in a similar role to how him and Suarez play at Liverpool.

I know its probably unlikely seeing that side, be seems like a strong alternative to me?

Just seen an interesting article with what looks to me like an interesting and a bit different England line up.

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Gerrard Henderson Wilshere

Barkley

Rooney Sturridge

Was talking about having both Hendo and Wilshere doing the box to box stuff, giving Gerrard and Barkley more room to create then having Rooney up top to support Sturridge in a similar role to how him and Suarez play at Liverpool.

I know its probably unlikely seeing that side, be seems like a strong alternative to me?

There's no width in that, unless you want Johnson and Baines to provide it all. Johnson gets caught out of position enough as it is.

Width isn't really necessary at the international level. Spain hasn't played with any width at all over the last decade and has done just fine. Baines and Johnson are both used to providing all of their teams' width from fullback, too. Given that all of the midfield and attackers bar Gerrard are quite capable of drifting out to the flanks to find space when necessary, that doesn't seem like a problem at all.

We're not Spain, we don't have Iniesta, Xavi, etc etc etc in the middle of the park. I wouldn't exactly say Baines and Johnson provide all the width for their clubs, and I definitely don't want Johnson providing all of England's. He got caught out time and time again when playing as a normal full back the other night, tasking him with providing the majority of the width on the right he'd get caught out even more. We'd get absolutely mullered by basically any team playing with wingers.

The formation itself isn't the problem, we don't have the players good enough to play it. We need to play to our strengths with a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

Actually we do have the players for a 4-3-1-2, seeing as Liverpool have been playing it to devastating effect at times this season.

Gerrard as the anchor, Henderson/Milner (or Wilshere if he can find some form) doing the box-to-box job, probably Sterling in ahead of Barkley as the free man behind the forwards, and then Sturridge/Rooney upfront with Rooney taking on his best imitation of the Suarez role. Of course Hodgson has no clue on how to set such a system up so unfortunately it won't happen.

Actually we do have the players for a 4-3-1-2, seeing as Liverpool have been playing it to devastating effect at times this season.

Gerrard as the anchor, Henderson/Milner (or Wilshere if he can find some form) doing the box-to-box job, probably Sterling in ahead of Barkley as the free man behind the forwards, and then Sturridge/Rooney upfront with Rooney taking on his best imitation of the Suarez role. Of course Hodgson has no clue on how to set such a system up so unfortunately it won't happen.

Yeah I don't see why Roy ain't trying to base his squad on the Liverpool core and their style of play like Spain did with the Barca boys.

Would see Lallana doing the Coutinho role and Rooney Suarez, with sturridge, Gerrard, Henderson and sterling doing their usual stuff.

Archived