The Official England World Cup Thread

AndyFal36

Either way, it's not gonna happen. Liverpool were incredibly open at times and there's no way Hodgson will go for an approach like that.

Especially when he has had little time to prepare. It's going to be a mix of 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.

Not keen on Lallana on the right, we were far too narrow.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Especially when he has had little time to prepare. It's going to be a mix of 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.

Not keen on Lallana on the right, we were far too narrow.

Exactly. There's no way he'll change the approach he's had for years to play more like a team who finished second (:brock:) and nor should he. Whether his approach is the right one or not, changing it all at this stage makes sense when we've been playing with his style, his system since the Euros. We won't do any better trying to play like Liverpool.

Agree with you on Lallana as well. He's brilliant and I'd love him to start, just not on the right. Rather him central and Sterling/Milner on the right (or even Sterling left, Milner right and Lallana central, with Welbeck on the bench) That would mean Rooney dropped but that really wouldn't bother me at this point.

Exactly. There's no way he'll change the approach he's had for years to play more like a team who finished second (:brock:) and nor should he. Whether his approach is the right one or not, changing it all at this stage makes sense when we've been playing with his style, his system since the Euros. We won't do any better trying to play like Liverpool.

Agree with you on Lallana as well. He's brilliant and I'd love him to start, just not on the right. Rather him central and Sterling/Milner on the right (or even Sterling left, Milner right and Lallana central, with Welbeck on the bench) That would mean Rooney dropped but that really wouldn't bother me at this point.

I would give Rooney the warm ups to see how sharp he gets (people forget that was his first start in a month). But Lallana should play middle, or not at all. The system should matter the most not the individual players. As it stands vs Italy: 4-3-3: Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana; Welbeck, Sturridge, Sterling.

Never a fan of chucking a midfielder at full back and assuming as they're a midfielder it makes it better and more attacking. It just shows up how they can't play the full back role, usually

Foster in goal? Urgh

why Milner at right back when... Jones and Smalling are in CM (and can both play there)

I think they are the starting centre backs tonight

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/03/wayne-rooney-start-england-ecuador-world-cup-warm-up

Guardian reckons (according to training) that Lambert will be the striker (I think Hodgson maybe said that already anyway?) Ox starting and Wilshere too and also Shaw

I think the Honduras game on saturday is more likely to be closer to our actual starting XI, this is the one to muck about in

Rooney left does feel a bit like we're checking other ways to play him rather than start someone else. We're back to talking about Rooney fitness issues again for some odd reason. He's had a full season except for a slight injury near the end

Small Rooney obsession at the moment. Scholes and Linekar saying he shouldn't play!

And Hodgson straightens the whole media furore right out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27691489

I like this:

And in answer to that "exceptional" question?

"The fact is, with respect, you [the media] make him an exceptional player when you want to make him an exceptional player and then when you want to make him a player that you don't think should be in the team, you do that as well.

I think Hodgson has handled the whole media thing pretty well.

He's dampened all the constant talk of who should and shouldn't play saying 'he can't spend all his time commenting everyone's opinions and the only ones that matter are his and the coaching staff'

It's England. We need turmoil before a tournament. We have to have these dramatic discussion points in the media. I am absolutely amazed that no ex-player has released a 'tell-all' book to coincide with the tournament!

Never a fan of chucking a midfielder at full back and assuming as they're a midfielder it makes it better and more attacking. It just shows up how they can't play the full back role, usually

Well that's a load of Bollocks. He obviously thinks Milner is capable of playing there and if anything he would be a more defensive option than Johnson, who is a complete liability when we don't have the ball.

Starting him as a right back in games is absurd. I figure with Smalling/Jones in the middle tonight I can see he may look at that as an option but I'd hope Milner isn't starting any group games there

There's more to play full back then just being a bit further back on the pitch and Milner just hasn't done it. As versatile as he is he's got to play with the rest of the defensive unit and be a lot more aware of people running off him off the ball.

That said, yes, can't be too much worse defensively and positionally as Johnson the other day :/

To be honest, I'd be more comfortable having Milner at right back than the Glen Johnson that turned up the other night. Smalling is terrible at RB too and that only leaves Jones, who's not completely comfortable there either.

It is a little absurd Razzler, I guess, not that Milner's playing there but that we don't have anyone else who can.

Yes and equally that we're experimenting with it now

Let's put Owen Hargreaves there!

I am more comfortable with the thought of Milner being there until he doesn't track a run or something and we all go 'Oh, this won't work' at the same time

Should have got Ashley Cole playing there, seriously

Starting him as a right back in games is absurd. I figure with Smalling/Jones in the middle tonight I can see he may look at that as an option but I'd hope Milner isn't starting any group games there

There's more to play full back then just being a bit further back on the pitch and Milner just hasn't done it. As versatile as he is he's got to play with the rest of the defensive unit and be a lot more aware of people running off him off the ball.

That said, yes, can't be too much worse defensively and positionally as Johnson the other day :/

Personally I have to echo what others have said, Milner has the attributes to succeed at full back, as do a hell of a lot of midfielders. Particularly in the lower leagues, there are examples of midfielders who have moved from right back and vice versa, and if our flaw at right back is a problem with tracking back, Milner is the sort to fill that gap well I think.

Watch him score a hat-trick of own goals now I've said that.

Why are we starting it now though? We had issues at right back for some time

I expect Johnson to be back for Honduras just think Hodgson is checking things out in case Johnson has another horror show

Kyle Walker was injured and unavailable for the squad, so Hodgson is just trying to find a viable backup option should Johnson get injured/play horrendously. You can't exactly blame him for not having tried it before.

so for the friendly tomorrow

Milner at Right back (what did I say about milner...)

Rooney on the left

why Milner at right back when... Jones and Smalling are in CM (and can both play there)

Foster in goal

You said Milner shouldn't be in the squad because he doesn't have pace, basically. Everyone else told you exactly why he's in the squad, with one of those reasons being his versatility.

I like how you think this justifies you thinking Milner is rubbish when it really, really doesn't.

I don't mind Hodgson testing Milner at right back. Johnson was really bad the other night, Jones and Smalling have never impressed me there. I think Milner is disciplined enough to do it.

Shoehorning Rooney in again, just drop him ffs

And give him match fitness how? Gives him a run out, lets RH see how comfortable he is on the left at this point, both in terms of DS through the middle, and also because Italy don't have a great attacking left back, could be an interesting area to overload.

I think it is quit obvious Sterling will not start the opening WC game despite having an excellent season. Think Hodgson has some reservations about playing him from the outright.

Not sure I would start him against Italy either, possibly down right actually, more likely I would use him as an excellent reinforcement though. Uruguay is the one I would start him for.

I think it is quit obvious Sterling will not start the opening WC game despite having an excellent season. Think Hodgson has some reservations about playing him from the outright.

Can we stop saying this please, he played well since the end of Feb.

Can we stop saying this please, he played well since the end of Feb.
Well, that's not true either. Was probably more around late November/early December he started playing well.

Only played more than 45 minutes once before 1st December, and he got an assist (90 minutes against Palace)

He started ripping it up right from the off in December, 3 goals and an assist by 21st December.

Archived