The FM20 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

When the instructions say no loans, does that include sending players out on loan to get experience?

I sometimes get annoyed when people don't read the damn rules for the Ultimate Challenge, but I think I have been guilty of not reading the damn rules regarding this.

No, loans OUT are fine, loans INN are banned.

3 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

When the instructions say no loans, does that include sending players out on loan to get experience?

I sometimes get annoyed when people don't read the damn rules for the Ultimate Challenge, but I think I have been guilty of not reading the damn rules regarding this.

You can loan out players just can't loan players in as far as i know

2 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

Oh cool. I thought I'd been pulling off the double of failing miserably at this challenge, even though I was breaking the rules. 

The only rule this challenge really have is

1. Don't buy or loan inn any players. None, zone, ziltch. No exceptions. No selling with loan back clause. No bringing back old players. Just no players in what so ever.

And that's it, pretty much. In addition to "take over a previously unplayable team" thing that most challenges do.

So after reading through this thread i think my minds been made up in making this challenge my main save for FM20! looking forward to the struggles with you all! Ive decided to go with Carshalton as its close to where i lived in England before i moved to Australia. Wish me luck!!

73c29b41b0910acb072a6ad614430f00.thumb.png.5aee516c42124d6accf65e7167b27acd.png

5a0d8201656249e4a111faa91a8a2c94.thumb.png.33c72a006b20f38e4810fe4ba372cb20.png38b0949a507f7c02d17dab8f74d7738e.thumb.png.bdf8bb7edc574ee4a7912b47f386aebd.png277bc014496bec10ae30e060a08b677a.thumb.png.84a61d099a68d6a9a04cf7a42961e40e.png

13 minutes ago, weepube said:

So after reading through this thread i think my minds been made up in making this challenge my main save for FM20! looking forward to the struggles with you all! Ive decided to go with Carshalton as its close to where i lived in England before i moved to Australia. Wish me luck!!

Good luck :) 

1 hour ago, vikeologist said:

Wildly overconfident after my very successful test season (with Bradford City), I was torn between doing this challenge with Folkestone, or just going the easy option with Palermo.

I opted for Folkestone, but after much fruitless reloading, I've given up and am currently holiday managing in Italy. (I presume Palermo will pop up a bit quicker).

Honestly, if I'd seen your post, it would have saved me a lot of time, because that Folkestone squad would not fit my tactics AT ALL!

I'll have to do my Folkestone career vicariously through you, so good luck.

Incidentally, my successful Bradford test save did have just 1 negative element; the Youth Intake. Not one of them could even be considered for a contract. Maybe the most promising had a ceiling of 2.5 stars.

So, albeit based in just 1 outcome, I am commencing this challenge with a tiny bit of trepidation.

Haha I'll do my best to do you proud!

Still reloading since last night, trying to get Lancaster City. They have a pretty low reputation compared to their divisional rivals so could take some time. 
If I can’t get them, I’ll likely take up South Shields 

7 minutes ago, BrightLad5 said:

Still reloading since last night, trying to get Lancaster City. They have a pretty low reputation compared to their divisional rivals so could take some time. 
If I can’t get them, I’ll likely take up South Shields 

Keep going I saw Lancaster a few times, don't think they're one of the rarest to load

3 hours ago, Forest said:

A question of mine. When we got a team, which is in 5th tier and only 3rd tier is possible to play. Can we then holiday for 2 years insteat of holidaying one year? So thatthe team got the chance to promote first to 4rd tier and next year then to 3rd?

You can, but the odds of team being promoted twice from non-playable league are very, very slim...

image.png.db8a44e94a408ac0a51edd34f70e4d1c.png

2021/22 Hungarian Division II season review - Putnok

The League

There was a lot of progress made from last year. Despite a few hiccups along the way, we finished in a nice safe 9th place. We did set a record for draws in the league, mostly by throwing away wins in the late stages.

If games ended after 80mins, we would probably be champions.

We made it to the quarter-finals in the cup. Which was a nice little run. Eger made it all the way to the final, lost 0-1 and got relegated to the third tier. There was almost a 3rd tier team in the Europa League II.

This seems like a genuine way to get into Europe for div II clubs. Some early rounds clash with International games and the top clubs are missing their best players. 

The Players

Bence Katona left us for free to go to Eger. This left an opportunity for our very own Dániel Horváth YP21c. He grabbed it with both hands and finished with 15 goals, 4 assists and 7 POM awards. He will be a first team regular next season as well.

Gábor Illés was our top performer. With 16 goals, 9 assists and 9 POM awards, he made the Division II team of the season. Unfortunately he will leave on a free as I won't meet his wage demands of 675 pounds a week.

We signed five players from the youth intake, with midfielder Béla Labancz YP22a being the star graduate.

Extra Time

We needed to recruit a new assistant manager after my previous one was poached by a bigger team. I did get 11k gbp in compensation though.

The staff are progressing well, with many of them completing coaching courses. I completed 2 coaching courses and now have my National A Licence.

The board agreed to improve youth recruitment and upgrade our youth facilities. Progress is being made. We still have 400k in the bank after paying for the youth upgrade.

Transfers

Edited by Fastbasher
Fixing links

Just now, schnauzer said:

@XaW you seem to be getting good success, do you mind me asking what tactics are you playing? I'm on the verge of another sacking :D

I've been switching up quite a bit. At first I tried my old 4-1-4-1 with wingers, and it worked ok, but now I'm back to a 4-4-2 hoofball type. I have a striker with 14 acc/15 pace, so as long as I stay back and pump the ball over the top he usually scores a few.

tBrVBNq.png

So, I try to create something that suits the players. Currently this is how it's set up:

1e3NCK5.png

I did this because my left back is really good at crossing and going forward (for this level...), so I want him to be part of the attack when we are in possession, but I also want to hoof it over and let Shariff run after it. So there's that. At least this is the current iteration. I do change it to suit the players I have though, so it can and will change.

Not sure if this helps much, but it's how I do it anyway.

5 minutes ago, XaW said:

I've been switching up quite a bit. At first I tried my old 4-1-4-1 with wingers, and it worked ok, but now I'm back to a 4-4-2 hoofball type. I have a striker with 14 acc/15 pace, so as long as I stay back and pump the ball over the top he usually scores a few.

For me this is the difference between a youth challenge and other games.

In a youth challenge I find a system to fit the strengths of my players. In other games, I find players to fit my preferred systems.

2 minutes ago, Fastbasher said:

Thanks.

Can you please try again. I made sure they are all in a shared album and edited links.

Still getting 404s...

1 minute ago, Fastbasher said:

In a youth challenge I find a system to fit the strengths of my players. In other games, I find players to fit my preferred systems.

Indeed it is. It's much easier finding something that works and bring in those players, but if you only have big strong targetman types of strikers, then you really shouldn't try to use the same tactic i do!

6 hours ago, SpS_Zen said:

Tours was still in ligue 2 in 2017/2018, they got relegated to the third tier, then relegated again due to a debt too big.

Nationale 3 is the 5th tier in France, and we can only play until the third tier in France.  Are you using a modified database?

nope, default

3 minutes ago, Fastbasher said:

Ok, tried fixing links again. Does anyone know anything that prevents google photo links being shared?

Works now! :thup:

I love that Budafok got promoted. Had an amazing save with them in FM16 or 17. Keep me posted on them, will you! ;)

3 minutes ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

you can play in the 4th tier of france , I believe starting in year 2

Screenshot_14.png.c88b21b5f226ad2601a6fe2ea3287d0e.png

Isn't the 4th tier, just a view only league? The same as the 4th tier in Norway (Right, @MikaelS? :p )

4th Tier in France has been playable at least from FM11. But you have to get relegated into it, not select a team. Best way is to select a relegated team from 3rd tier just before the reset date.

Another way to play in the 4th tier is if you select a Ligue 1 team that has a reserve team in the 4th tier. Then you can play both.

Just now, Ross Ingersoll said:

btw I noticed two transfers not yet completed, just cancel them?

If you can, yes. If they are already confirmed, then they are fair game.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

I did this because my left back is really good at crossing and going forward (for this level...), so I want him to be part of the attack when we are in possession, but I also want to hoof it over and let Shariff run after it. So there's that. At least this is the current iteration. I do change it to suit the players I have though, so it can and will change.

Not sure if this helps much, but it's how I do it anyway.

Thank you mate that's useful. I was using the 442 preset 'Route One' tactic but I have now adjusted it to be less specific and more suited to my players :thup:

1 hour ago, Fastbasher said:

1 hour ago, XaW said:

Indeed it is. It's much easier finding something that works and bring in those players, but if you only have big strong targetman types of strikers, then you really shouldn't try to use the same tactic i do!

Indeed, I have a tactical system I want to move the club towards but these first few years are about finding a system that fits what we get given. Part of the fun :thup:

33 minutes ago, schnauzer said:

@XaW

Tactic change led to a first win after 6 straight defeats, thank you mate (edit: you can't see in the pic but we won 1-0). Finally out of the drop zone, for a while anyway..

Nice! Happy to help! :)

Would be interesting to hear some general principles that others here follow for youth development. Training and playing for U19 vs loans for example, as well as exposure to first team football. Can it be too much? 

When I did the challenge on FM19 I didn't loan out players before they turned 18, but I gave several plenty of first team football, as well as making them available for the U19s. Completing the challenge I must have done something right, but interested in hearing other views. Especially regarding where young talents should be, in the first team or U19s! 

5bd97463e1e076ff53d7180d01411433.png
Club Information | Club vision | Lineup | Transfers | Settings | League

Just like last year when i played with Älmeboda/Linneryd in Sweden in this challenge i am once again ready to this year try to make it the whole way! Since Älmeboda irl got promoted i couldn't play as them as they were now playable from the beginning. SO this time i will be going as Nybro IF a team from roughly the same area as Älmeboda and a team i played a couple of times irl when i were still playing football myself. So once again in Sweden and will actually compete with Älmeboda in div 2 (4th tier). I will also try to stream when i play this save so if someone wants live action this is the channel https://www.twitch.tv/novafluff towards greatness! NOTE: the tranfer in under transfers link where a regen that signed before i took over

Edited by Novafluff

Reading through the tactics discussion on here has me hankering for doing my own thing again - I am 90% of the time a 'use someone elses tactic' kinda guy and then develop players overtime to fit it.

So, me being me, my first step was to try and find old versions of my player development spreadsheets I used to use religiously.  Sadly I have switched jobs since then and my old home PC died, and it seems I had them saved there.....  But @XaW to the rescue!! I just searched through my old personal sent emails and found a copy I sent you 4 years ago :lol:  It need a lot of updating, but better than starting from scratch!

Also stumbled across thread notifications from the forums back from FM13 when I had a handy 550 tactic.  Just read through that again and I wish I had players I could fit into something like that currently!

On 07/11/2019 at 16:03, schnauzer said:

I dont suppose that anybody reloading the English start date has come across Harrow Borough? I've been trying to load them up for ages but no joy! :seagull:

I've just had Harrow come up, only 13 players mind as I just loaded the VNN/VNS and above. Didn't load any extras.

Ignore this, I left attributes on

7 minutes ago, Braumiller said:

So, me being me, my first step was to try and find old versions of my player development spreadsheets I used to use religiously.  Sadly I have switched jobs since then and my old home PC died, and it seems I had them saved there.....  But @XaW to the rescue!! I just searched through my old personal sent emails and found a copy I sent you 4 years ago :lol:  It need a lot of updating, but better than starting from scratch!

I still use it, but only as a guide, since it needs update. Please send it if you do so! :D

29 minutes ago, Braumiller said:

Reading through the tactics discussion on here has me hankering for doing my own thing again - I am 90% of the time a 'use someone elses tactic' kinda guy and then develop players overtime to fit it.

Also stumbled across thread notifications from the forums back from FM13 when I had a handy 550 tactic.  Just read through that again and I wish I had players I could fit into something like that currently!

Am like 99% sure reading that at the time (or maybe later) that got me interested in this challenge. So everything since then is you fault :D