The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

49 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I had a weirdly specific dream pre tournament where we made the final. It involved beating Germany in 2nd round and Holland in semis. I'm starting to get a little freaked out.

If next week we beat Germany on pens after a 1-1 draw Maguire goal then the dream was clearly a prophecy sent from the Football gods

what happened in the final

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can’t wait for Tuesday. Literally make or break for this England side under Gareth.

Win, we should have the confidence to get to the final, and go into full of confidence. Basically end up being the next step in this sides progression ready for Qatar.

Lose, then he should be sacked by the weekend. As it would be yet another failure against opposition we need to be better than in these competitions. 

We should be staying 4-3-3. Back four the same, Rice + 2. Sterling, Kane + 1. Those three spots are where Gareth earns his money as manager. Does he go with a Bellingham in there to help with the transition better against Germany, with a more attacking player like Grealish or Foden? Or go a lot more cautious and have Henderson in there. On the right, go with someone like Sancho who will know all about how to exploit Hummels from training with him all year. Or someone else? 

I just hope we don’t revert back to a 3 at the back, because I can see that possibly ending badly for us :/ We always seem to be pinned back more, with 7 players on edge of our box, and front 3 isolated. 

Germany are not the Germany of old

However, they ripped Portugal a new one and you know they'll be up for a big game. It's on us to be up for it too, be brave and carry the freaking ball and actually get forward with purpose. I think possession being important has been drummed into these players so much now they're terrified of anything other than a 5 yard pass in midfield and certainly not forward

If we're determined to play like that then play 10 yards higher up the pitch and quicker, no need for everyone to have 2-3 touches

Pickford

Walker

Stones

Maguire

Shaw

Rice

Henderson

Foden

Grealish

Sterling

Kane

Harsh on Phillips, Saka and Bellingham. Henderson edges it for me because I think his experience in there is going to be key. And I don't think Southgate after being cautious against Scotland and Czech Republic is going to suddenly start with the likes of Grealish or Bellingham in one of those midfield 2 against Germany.

My "plan" then depending on how the game is going, would be for Henderson to come off around 60 mins for either Phillips if winning or Bellingham if losing.

Only watched the game last night as I was watching Scotland (second half on 4x speed).

I don't think you can read much into it, Czech's bothered to have a go at England in the first and sat back in the second which partly explains why we had less in attack.

The second half was Czech's passing about in their own third, we'd get the ball back and pass it around just inside their half.

Kane didn't look as bad I guess? I doubt Grealish will be picked against a top side, he is good on the ball as you'd expect, he didn't give it away either this time but he just stands around while the opposition passes around him, in fact he reminded me of Shaqiri, he moves as though cutting out the passing lanes but isn't that committed to it. Saka was good but didn't seem to me that he played better than Foden had.

The first half was the only time a team has bothered to be proactive against England so we looked a bit better.

Germany should be better prepared as have already played France and Portugal where as we've had three games against poor opposition. 

Maybe the players can up their level a few notches but it'll be hard going by what we've seen so far.

Yeah, I'm not confident at all for numerous reasons but mainly simply because it's Germany. 

But the crumbs of hope are that this isn't a vintage Germany side and we can fluke the odd good result under Southgate (Belgium & Spain in Nations League).

Our best hope is one of our "exciting young fearless" attackers turn it on with a coming of age performance. 

I think we have proven time and time and time again that if we take an early lead in a big game it usually doesn’t end well. Drop deep, defend the lead, end up conceding and then all our forward momentum has gone so we can’t get back into it. 

Portugal tried to take the game to Germany and got cut apart at the other end. France and Hungary made them look toothless because they were defensively solid and didn’t give them space.

I know we think we want to play on the front foot and let all our attacking players run at them. But honestly we would be much better frustrating them in midfield, make sure we aren’t behind with an hour gone, then bring on the likes of Sancho or Rashford or Grealish when the game starts to open up.

This Germany aren’t great, we should be winning this game 8 times out of 10. But we need to get the tactics right, not just tear out of the blocks because they are going to give us more space than Scotland and the Czech Republic did.

If Flick was in charge I would have put the game as 50/50 but with Low I have deep reservations Germany will get a result. I think this will be one of those games that will play in to England's hands.

Wish there was an option to ignore users per a thread. Theres a good few posters who add nothing to this other than a poor attempt at trolling.

And half of them are people who whine the moment anyone pops into the Liverpool thread saying anything negative about their team.

Edited by Tony85

How did Hungary play last night? Do we have to go 3-4-3 to match them? Surely we can still have 4-3-3 and have the wingers tracking back to deal with their wing backs? I'd be absolutely fine with the 3-4-3 if we hadn't played it before and looked absolutely woeful when doing so.

I don’t really want my wingers, who are forwards in a 4-3-3, having to track their wing backs. Especially the likes of Sterling who should be exploiting the space available.

When you factor in that Kane would be left up front (lol) on his own it’s not conducive to effective football.

You could have the full backs defending against their wing backs as well though in a 4-3-3, he'll probably be asking them to stay back more (which would mean we're dull again but I think whatever we do we'll end up a bit dull tbf) then still have Sterling and whoever up front to try and exploit any space behind them.

I do think he will go 3-4-3 FWIW, just nervous about it because my word we've been garbage when we've done that before.

Sterling's movement has caused issues enough for defences as it is, he absolutely should not be dropped. Not that Grealish would just stand there doing nothing of course, but Sterling absolutely must start for me. 

2 hours ago, Pukey said:

Sterling's movement has caused issues enough for defences as it is, he absolutely should not be dropped. Not that Grealish would just stand there doing nothing of course, but Sterling absolutely must start for me. 

Surely no doubt of this now? I wasn't that impressed with him starting before the first game because of his club form but after these 2 games he simply cant and luckily most definitely wont be dropped.

Right, I reckon right now I'd go:

Pickford

Stones Maguire Mings

Trippier Rice Phillips Shaw

Grealish

Sterling Kane 

Unlucky for Foden and Saka, as they have both looked bright, but I just can't leave Grealish out, Sterling seems on form and movement is good.  I'd bring Trippier back in as he just seems more comfortable and never seems to have a bad game much, plus both him and Shaw seems similar in terms of defending and attacking qualities.  I do wish I could get Foden in though.  Maybe if we go 4 at the back, i.e. Mings out, then we get Foden in as well, but I'm not sure we want to gooo with that.  I think it will be such a cagey game, not many clear cut chances, and I think we're off to pens again :( 

3 hours ago, Pukey said:

Wouldn't necessarily drop Sterling. But think he could be just as effective on the right.

17 minutes ago, CMOZZA said:

Wouldn't necessarily drop Sterling. But think he could be just as effective on the right.

Maybe but would feel like a change just to fit Grealish in and might be more detrimental than it's worth. Barry has said before how Sterling isn't anywhere near as good on the right. 

Not that I'm desperate for Grealish to be dropped either btw, I wouldn't complain at the same team as the Czech game at all. Prefer that to a 3-4-3 with Rice and Phillips in the middle but I think Southgate might opt for that to try and prevent as much German threat as possible.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

It seems weird to change formation now though. We were always getting out the group and always going to have a tough 2nd round game. Why not just use 343 in group stage then if your intention was to change to it for knockout. 

Would think that’s why Mings came on for time with Mags. 

Think Southgate would go 3 at the back to match Germany’s:

Pickford

Mings, Stones, Maguire

Walker Shaw

Henderson Rice

Foden Sterling

Kane

if it’s 4 at the back then probably swap Mings for Grealish and Walker for Trippier. 
Saka probably just misses out for Foden. 
Will be surprised if the 11 is much different. 

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

It seems weird to change formation now though.

Pretty sure we did exactly that for Croatia in 18 tbf. 

Do think we will start a bit slow and leave the attacking options for the second half.