Match 37: Wales vs Denmark 5PM (BST) BBC One and S4C live from Amsterdam !

Coulthard's Jaw

ROAD TO THE LAST 16:

Wales 1-1 Switzerland - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/50940597 Wales weren't great but grabbed an equaliser which proved so so important.
Wales 2-0 Turkey - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51197554 Turkey are bad but Wales battered them, fully deserved win.
Wales 0-1 Italy - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51197631 Wales needed to avoid a big defeat and it was mission accomplished.

Denmark 0-1 Finland - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51197533 A traumatic day and quite frankly should just be ignored in terms of predicting future performances.
Denmark 1-2 Belgium - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51197575 Denmark actually played really well against the number 1 ranked team in the world.
Denmark 4-1 Russia - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51198422 Denmark went to town on an emotional night in Copenhagen.

In terms of performances you'd make Denmark favourites here, although note they don't have home advantage anymore.

Wales last played a last 16 Euros game in 2016, when they beat Northern Ireland 1-0.

Denmark last featured in the knockout stages in 2004, when they got knocked out of the quarter finals by the Czech Republic.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Knockout games are different propositions, and Denmark looked very good against, an albeit poor, Russia, but I'd back Wales to get through this one. They're a solid side that have enough at the other end to score against anyone. 

Best of luck to them!

It almost feels like a toss up to me, Denmark are blunt up front and Wales' strength is going forwards.

I really can't remember why now but there were a couple of things in Denmark vs Russia where it seemed like the Danish coach seemed to know what he was doing in terms of details and it's hard to see how they could have done any better against Belgium really.

Wales looked dreadful against Switzerland who I think are a comparable level to the Danes but I can't see them being that bad again.

Close matchup today. I can see Wales (just) going through with that extra quality in players like Bale & Ramsey. But I will be supporting Denmark today being 1/4 Danish & 3/4 English! So, up the Danes innit.

slightly on topic here with Denmark being involved

watched "Summer Of 92" on Netflix a few months ago, it's a re-telling of that Euros in Danish with English subtitles, bittersweet though as they show Vilfort's character rushing back to Denmark to see his daughter in hospital as she was deteriorating from leukemia during the tournament, then he scores the winner in the final, they show his daughter celebrating and then you find out she died after the tournament :(

to uplift it a bit, it seems like that's the first shot John Jensen got on target :D

lineups:

Wales: Ward, Roberts, Mepham, Rodon, Davies, Morrell, Allen, Bale, Ramsey, James, Moore

Denmark: Schmeichel, Maehle, Vestergaard, Kjaer, Christensen, Stryger, Hojbjerg, Delaney, Damsgaard, Dolberg, Braithwaite

Edited by TM

I actually think this is probably of the harder matches to call in this round. These two teams are greater than the sums of their parts, and I'm not expecting one to outclass the other.

I can see it going to extra-time, and probably even penalties, with the Danish dark horses eventually coming out on top. I hope Wales will prove me wrong, though.

I'm torn on this one.

On one hand I always like to see all the UK (and Irish) sides do well when they qualify, but on the other I've wanted to see Denmark do really well ever since the incident with Eriksen.

I'll just enjoy it and be happy enough with whichever side makes it through, but deep down I think I'm pulling a little more for Denmark for the above reasons.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

He's been awful this season, I prefer Delaney and Hojbjerg.

Season sure, Euros, he's been just as effective as bale, them 2 have been in sync from the start. 

Just now, darren1983 said:

Didn't think any Welsh fans were going to make it to the game? Good to see some have though. 

I do like Wales and want them to do well but have a soft spot for Denmark these days so am Danish today.

Nobody from the UK can go, but anybody living in the EU could, so guessing these are all people that live over there or near enough to travel.

Just now, Confused Clarity said:

Nobody from the UK can go, but anybody living in the EU could, so guessing these are all people that live over there or near enough to travel.

Apparently there are still tickets available for Italy-Austria and the allowed capacity is only 22k, while England-Germany will have 45k in attendance. :rolleyes:

Really fair.

Just now, Confused Clarity said:

Ah makes sense then. Am glad some made it, really adds to the atmosphere having fans from both sides.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Apparently there are still tickets available for Italy-Austria and the allowed capacity is only 22k, while England-Germany will have 45k in attendance. :rolleyes:

Really fair.

Because the England game is classed as a test event while Italy game isn't. Same as why there were more fans at FA Cup final than the playoffs a week or so later. 

• Administrators

BBC comms acting like the only good players Wales have are Ramsey and Bale. 

Underselling this Wales team to be honest.