Raheem Sterling Appreciation Thread

Sterling has just been another level this tournament hasn't he? But more than that, I think we need to start talking about where he stands compared to other players who have had standout tournaments. Like how many other English players have had tournaments like this? Not many (you probably have to go back to 66 to find someone who has just been on it all competition). But then widen it and how does he compare to other countries? He's right up there in the dizzy heights of the elite.

Seems ludicrous that 5 games ago plenty of people were saying he shouldn't be in the team, that he needed to 'justify his place', some even said he wasn't an elite player ffs.

What a tournament he's had. Never doubted him.

14 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Seems ludicrous that 5 games ago plenty of people were saying he shouldn't be in the team, that he needed to 'justify his place', some even said he wasn't an elite player ffs.

What a tournament he's had. Never doubted him.

He was also being mooted as a makeweight in a swap deal for Kane. Madness. 

Well Southgate is basing his team around him and its working much better then Eriksson did with Beckham, Sterling sheer pace has caused defenders problems for sure. Think pound for pound Kelvin Phillips has been the best player of the tournament for England....But then Sterling has scored 3 goals.

There's been several players who've had a very good tournament for us so far but none more so than Raheem Sterling. He dragged us through the groups and he's been just as good in the KOs. His pace and direct running in behind are a real weapon. He didn't have the best of seasons at City last time around and there was question marks on whether he should even start this tournament for us but he's shut everyone up. 

tbf though he's been fantastic for England for the last couple of years now. Two goals in his first 45 caps and 15 in 22 since. 

So far he's been the player of the tournament. 

Noticed the other day he is now into the top 30 or so for England in terms of all-time caps.  67th cap last night and a load of players bunched around the high 50s and low 60s.  So during the course of this year he has skipped past the likes of Gascoigne, Waddle, Platt, Shearer, Keegan, Scholes, Tony Adams, Des Walker etc.

Hard to believe he is still only 26, he is another one going to be hitting 100 caps for sure

It's a shame that it's the 'golden era' miserable, infighting failures of the 00's that clog up most of the top positions in the list. Let's never mention Gerrard, Lampard, Rio, Terry, Neville, Owen, Beckham, Cole or Rooney again after Sunday.

purely based on fantasy football observations, he always seems to benefit from playing regularly rather than being rested and he's got better and better as the tournament has gone on.  he was still running full pelt after 120 last night whilst the Danes could barely move

12 minutes ago, Haguey said:

It's a shame that it's the 'golden era' miserable, infighting failures of the 00's that clog up most of the top positions in the list. Let's never mention Gerrard, Lampard, Rio, Terry, Neville, Owen, Beckham, Cole or Rooney again after Sunday.

This team is also pretty young, could even go on to replace a lot of these top mentions on the boards

51 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Harry Kane moved to within two goals of Michael Owen as well on the all-time list.

Wazza - 53
Bobby Charlton - 49
Gary Lineker - 48
Jimmy Greaves - 44
Michael Owen - 40
Kane - 38

For some reason I thought Owen wasn't that prolific.

30 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Kane will beat Rooney's record wont he

At this point it would be incredibly surprising if he doesn't. 15 goals to go and he's only 27 (28 in a few weeks.) He could get that in just the next 2 qualifiers, and he'd have the Nations League and World Cup on top. 

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

Harry Kane moved to within two goals of Michael Owen as well on the all-time list.

Wazza - 53
Bobby Charlton - 49
Gary Lineker - 48
Jimmy Greaves - 44
Michael Owen - 40
Kane - 38

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Hatty in the Final to go clear of Owen.

14 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Noticed the other day he is now into the top 30 or so for England in terms of all-time caps.  67th cap last night and a load of players bunched around the high 50s and low 60s.  So during the course of this year he has skipped past the likes of Gascoigne, Waddle, Platt, Shearer, Keegan, Scholes, Tony Adams, Des Walker etc.

Hard to believe he is still only 26, he is another one going to be hitting 100 caps for sure

Its a certainty unless he gets rested for games that dont really matter

i don't think sterling is a shoo-in for 100+ caps either. you'd think he should get at least another 20 caps through to the world cup but after that, if he hits a rough patch then the competition is so tough he may get dropped. he is obviously great now but will he still be after an injury and loss to his electrifying pace/stamina? i hope of course he can be as good as he is now for years because i love him just as i love kane but they always exceed my expectations so i will expect little further than the greatness they've already provided :D 

1 hour ago, iamjerome said:

i don't think sterling is a shoo-in for 100+ caps either. you'd think he should get at least another 20 caps through to the world cup but after that, if he hits a rough patch then the competition is so tough he may get dropped. he is obviously great now but will he still be after an injury and loss to his electrifying pace/stamina? i hope of course he can be as good as he is now for years because i love him just as i love kane but they always exceed my expectations so i will expect little further than the greatness they've already provided :D 

Yeah, Sterling has been fantastic but the competition for his position is absolutely immense.

25 minutes ago, Bootador said:

Yeah, Sterling has been fantastic but the competition for his position is absolutely immense.

The thing is though, when Sterling is on form, there really isn't competition for his place. Saka/Sancho/Rashford are fighting over the other side, Mount/Grealish/Foden are fighting for the middle spot. Obviously Foden has taken his spot at City, but England play a completely different way than City

The only one who genuinely could be after his spot is Saka imo, but even then he has years of development in order to be at Sterling's level

I think the only thing that stops Sterling reaching 100 caps is injuries  

We don’t have another player comparable to Sterling in terms of how he plays. The way he complements Kane is vital and he’s arguably more of a strike partner for him than a wide man for us. Too many of the alternatives want to come short in the same way that Kane does and don’t have the same goal threat.

47 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

The thing is though, when Sterling is on form, there really isn't competition for his place. Saka/Sancho/Rashford are fighting over the other side, Mount/Grealish/Foden are fighting for the middle spot. Obviously Foden has taken his spot at City, but England play a completely different way than City

The only one who genuinely could be after his spot is Saka imo, but even then he has years of development in order to be at Sterling's level

I think the only thing that stops Sterling reaching 100 caps is injuries  

Not really true is it. Rashford may be just left side. And Grealish. But Sancho can play both sides. So can Saka. Foden has too. He's competing with all five of them for one side and three of them for the other. 

2 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Not really true is it. Rashford may be just left side. And Grealish. But Sancho can play both sides. So can Saka. Foden has too. He's competing with all five of them for one side and three of them for the other. 

Not really what I was saying was it 

None of them bring to the team what Sterling does, i'm not saying they can't play in a labelled position 

4 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Not really what I was saying was it 

None of them bring to the team what Sterling does, i'm not saying they can't play in a labelled position 

That's exactly what you were saying. Didn't at any point say none of them bring what Sterling does. You talked about playing on one side or the other.

I was going to post something similar to Jerome but didn't bother, but I agree with that basically. His margin for error is smaller because if his pace goes or his level drops he's not the same player. Don't think it will take much for him to lose his spot

1 hour ago, Bootador said:

Yeah, nobody can provide what Sterling can provide right now. But if Sterling stops providing it his place is much more at risk than say Declan Rice

I wouldn't be surprised if Rice gets pushed out by Bellingham relatively soon, especially if Phillips continues to show such a phenomenal engine for England and makes himself undroppable.