Football Manager 2022 Teaser Trailer

1 hour ago, FedAt said:

Can you shine a little light to this? Always wondered how new features prioritize, because some obvious (as for me) things don't get updates or improvements in years, instead some features appears or improved that (again, as for me) don't used by majority of players.

From what I remember, the start of a game cycle they sit down, go through suggestions and decide what they want to and can accomplish and incorporate this year, next year and so on. 

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Manjusaka said:

Of course some comments are too insulting and I appreciate the work of moderators. But I do think that the more evasive and less responsive the dev is, the more frustration will build up and eventually insults.

I know SI have plans and they have repeatedly emphasized that. But I hope the plans would not deviate too much from community wants. At the end of the day we want players to like the game. From the experience of FM2021 I believe there is some discrepancy there on what's important. If we think about some of the features last year like replacement of widgets by tablet, revamp of gestures/press conferences, removal of fitness percentage, they are actually not very well received (I guess maybe 50:50 at most). Even things as simple as the theme color misfires.

So I am quite pessimistic.

And there are no issues with posts like this. You can not like X, Y, or Z, and there will be no problems from the mods there. We might disagree with you, but only as a discussion, not as an official action as mods.

And we also don't know the plans for FM any more than you do, but I do like the way things are going. The graphics haven't changed all that in still, but the engine underneath sure are improved. And for me that's key, that my tactical instructions and the players I select to play change how things are on the pitch far outweighs some improved visuals.

For me, I have a much bigger concern regarding the manager AI in terms of squad building, transfers, and team management. And if I were in charge 100% of resources would go into those things, and just leave all visuals and match as is, because I really enjoy the match in FM21. But playing longer term saves, the game becomes easier due to a lack of competent squad building by the AI, and that is something I hope will be improved in the next version.

So everyone can, and will, have different opinions of how the game should be improved, and that is perfectly fine. But looking at how a select group of people on this forum reacts, does not mean that the general majority of fans mean the same. The ones in here might be more engaged in the game in some way, but FM as a brand does not simply lean on this community. A very decently sized chunk of FM'ers are not "gamers" in general. I know a lot of people who never play a game, other than FM. And the laptop they use have about the computing power of a toaster. I regularly have to help out people to install it through Steam, and that's not exactly rocket science for most of us.

And if the game had headed in a way where I would no longer enjoy the game, I would stop playing it. If they had listened to what a surprising amount of people have asked for, like the "Let me use my money on cars, house, wife, etc", I would be very turned off by the game. If I want that, I'd play the Sims. So, yes, I do think SI should listen to what users want, but I don't think they should take everything on board!

6 hours ago, XaW said:

This is a key point for me. I can understand the want for better graphics, even if it's not the most important for me personally. However, a lot of these other games, they have pre-rendered highlights, not an actual match engine running directly.

So while the graphics might look much better, it's because it's designed for look over function. FM is function, and then try to fit the graphics on top. So for me, I find it much more important to have a living engine running behind actually reacting to my tactical instructions and the attributes of the players, rather than one of a set of preset cutscenes.

And for those who see the mod badge and draw conclusions, I'm not employed by SI, this is done on a volunteer basis, and I'm not told to follow any company line. We mods can be as critical as anyone else here of the game, and we are at times.

The reality is that they can have both function and look. The match look has changed over the years and arguably, its not better off for it. Stadiums look completely out of place for many of the sides. Football Manager isnt FIFA but one thing it also isnt is the best it can be. Some of the screenshots posted in this thread alone show that rather than progress, the look of match day seems to have regressed in many ways. 

I feel like at this point it's unwise to form judgements about the new version of the game.

Like, if people say, I think the teaser trailer sucks, fair enough. It seems like every year SI tease out the details slowly, which is annoying as hell, but I recognise also makes sense for them. 

Nothing so far really allows us to make a judgement about the game.

I'm not sure what's so hard to recognise that one doesn't have sufficient information at this point to be able to offer an informed opinion. 

20 minutes ago, jimbo22 said:

The reality is that they can have both function and look. The match look has changed over the years and arguably, its not better off for it. Stadiums look completely out of place for many of the sides. Football Manager isnt FIFA but one thing it also isnt is the best it can be. Some of the screenshots posted in this thread alone show that rather than progress, the look of match day seems to have regressed in many ways. 

Of course we want both. From FM20 to FM21 there was a huge jump in function, the ME was vastly improved, and looking at how few threads we have complaining about it tells it all. The huge improvements there really was a good thing.

If you are disappointed by the graphics, then that's a valid complaint. But it's not the key for everyone, myself included. I've already noted my biggest complaint a few posts up, so I won't repeat myself. But for me, I'd much rather have those improvements rather than graphical ones.

2 minutes ago, XaW said:

Of course we want both. From FM20 to FM21 there was a huge jump in function, the ME was vastly improved, and looking at how few threads we have complaining about it tells it all. The huge improvements there really was a good thing.

If you are disappointed by the graphics, then that's a valid complaint. But it's not the key for everyone, myself included. I've already noted my biggest complaint a few posts up, so I won't repeat myself. But for me, I'd much rather have those improvements rather than graphical ones.

I still play with the 2d view because the match look is poor. If it doesn't improve it looks like it will be 2d going forward for me. We constantly hear that there are separate teams that work on different areas of the game so there is simply no reason, from my point of view, that the match look has slowly regressed from what it was in previous versions. Id love to use the 3d engine but I'm completely removed from the pull of it because of the way it comes across on the screen. 

One thing, and there has to be a valid reason why we don't have it, that would be huge is a stadium editor. Over the years graphics mods have changed the game for the better. A stadium editor/creator would change the match day experience hugely, there's just too many bog standard generic stadiums that take away from the immersion of it but SI don't seem interested in that or cant even entertain the idea of it. 

1 minute ago, jimbo22 said:

I still play with the 2d view because the match look is poor. If it doesn't improve it looks like it will be 2d going forward for me. We constantly hear that there are separate teams that work on different areas of the game so there is simply no reason, from my point of view, that the match look has slowly regressed from what it was in previous versions. Id love to use the 3d engine but I'm completely removed from the pull of it because of the way it comes across on the screen. 

I also play mainly 2d, but not because I don't like 3d, I just prefer it. I feel I have more control over how the tactic functions and I feel it's easier to spot faults in my tactical approach from it. And I will most likely continue playing 2d even if it had ultra realistic graphics. Perhaps the replays could be 3d then.

2 minutes ago, jimbo22 said:

One thing, and there has to be a valid reason why we don't have it, that would be huge is a stadium editor. Over the years graphics mods have changed the game for the better. A stadium editor/creator would change the match day experience hugely, there's just too many bog standard generic stadiums that take away from the immersion of it but SI don't seem interested in that or cant even entertain the idea of it. 

I agree, a stadium editor would be nice, but I'm certain I read something about licencing being the reason for it, but I cannot find any posts in that regard, so it could be something I misremembering. Wouldn't surprise me if it was so though, since they cannot sell the game digitally after a new game is released due to licencing! Licencing is the bane of all usability.

50 分钟前, XaW说:

And there are no issues with posts like this. You can not like X, Y, or Z, and there will be no problems from the mods there. We might disagree with you, but only as a discussion, not as an official action as mods.

And we also don't know the plans for FM any more than you do, but I do like the way things are going. The graphics haven't changed all that in still, but the engine underneath sure are improved. And for me that's key, that my tactical instructions and the players I select to play change how things are on the pitch far outweighs some improved visuals.

For me, I have a much bigger concern regarding the manager AI in terms of squad building, transfers, and team management. And if I were in charge 100% of resources would go into those things, and just leave all visuals and match as is, because I really enjoy the match in FM21. But playing longer term saves, the game becomes easier due to a lack of competent squad building by the AI, and that is something I hope will be improved in the next version.

So everyone can, and will, have different opinions of how the game should be improved, and that is perfectly fine. But looking at how a select group of people on this forum reacts, does not mean that the general majority of fans mean the same. The ones in here might be more engaged in the game in some way, but FM as a brand does not simply lean on this community. A very decently sized chunk of FM'ers are not "gamers" in general. I know a lot of people who never play a game, other than FM. And the laptop they use have about the computing power of a toaster. I regularly have to help out people to install it through Steam, and that's not exactly rocket science for most of us.

And if the game had headed in a way where I would no longer enjoy the game, I would stop playing it. If they had listened to what a surprising amount of people have asked for, like the "Let me use my money on cars, house, wife, etc", I would be very turned off by the game. If I want that, I'd play the Sims. So, yes, I do think SI should listen to what users want, but I don't think they should take everything on board!

I agree that match engine and AI are key areas and IMO should be prioritized before things like press conferences. I do think graphics are important though, not for the aesthetics but for showing actual match events. In this way ME and graphics are closely connected.

The ME of FM21 is heavily boasted about but I actually don't think it's that great. A lot of things are still missing. I think I saw something very close to "cutting inside" in some older editions but in FM21 I only see running with the ball diagonally. Not to mention things like crossing with left foot on the right side. IF/IW never feels real to me. Low crosses seem to be non-existent. Actual addition of chip shot is good but isn't there too many? Some roles and attributes also seem less and less influential. I hate to see Manchester United picking Donny van de Beek and Paul Pogba as central midfield partners in a 4231 but can still get away with this unbalanced team picking. Central play is nice after two editions of dysfunctional AMC but crossing in wide areas is infuriating. The number of dribbles is unrealistically low.

To me the main improvement of the match engine in FM2021 is the back of central play. But it was there in older editions...

(And yes the proposed feature of using wages is too...irrelevant.)

4 hours ago, mightypvfc said:

I feel like this constant talk about the regression of the match engine is actually blinding us to other issues in the game. Personally, I don't have that much of an issue with the way the match engine is represented. What exactly are you all looking for? Are you looking for Frostbite-style graphics so you can see the sweat form on brows? Are you looking for exquisite crowd detail so you can see each expression when a goal is scored? What exactly do you want? 

FM is SO much more than a 3D match engine. Hands up - who actually spends more than 5 minutes watching games? All this talk about the match engine and most of us will barely spend 5 minutes watching key highlights. I mean, I watch full match every game and I can't fault anything. I love the engine and the way it plays. It may have regressed in recent years and it's probably not up to modern standards but, come one, it's living and breathing and reacts to every decision that you make in real-time. FIFA is just a 3D engine. Football Manager is so much more.

Nope I’m just looking for my new £60m striker to not look like a drunken ice-skater made of Atari Jaguar polygons.

2 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Personally I miss the days the devs would be on in a regular basis, and I think the forum is all the poorer for it not having them as much, but just looking at the last page alone, it's always been entirely understandable as to why they do it less and less. Who wants to spend their extra time talking to someone who wants them sacked? 

Saying that SI personnel don't interact in these forums, because they don't have time, I understand that, if they are avoiding the forums, because of toxic comments or criticisms they don't like, that I don't really get it and it is wrong in my book, the message they send across because of some trolls, we all are trolls to them? the reasoning is quite simply the forums has moderators to clean those comments and can ban people if that is the case. Also there is this thing called ignoring trolls if they are one, they can pretty much do that. Just don't reply to them. But now these forums is basically a them vs us ambience. Not all of SI personnel or moderators are in this boat, there are some great people out there, specially those that do it for free.

Just because I criticize Miles position that he doesn't want FIFA/PES graphics, for whatever reason and I not agree with him, should not be enough for him to avoid these forums like a plague. Not to say Neil doesn't make wonderful job in these forums, but why wasn't Miles the one posting here making announcement for the future implementation (it will not be in FM22) of woman's football????? Why did Neil had to copy and paste that announcement here? I mean I was more upset it was done in a copy and paste way that strengthens my feeling like these forums are a footnote. Not posting in his account and he personally announcing a feature as important has the woman's football. It made me feel so upset. I think it rob the importance of this feature should have. Where were the confeti the fireworks done in this announcement by Miles? Here's why!!!! These forums are simply afterthought in his mind. He may not meant you say, but actions speak louder then words, this was the message he transmitted specially in this announcement, SI personnel follow their leader in his actions.

Also regarding to slow announcements, to be fair I prefer if they did sort like Apple does, one major announcement video an 1 hour long or so, and announce all the improvements of new version of the game (with footage of the game and show us the improvements in action), then what they do since ever, teasing, here's little showcase of this year improvement, see you in couple of days for next copy past annoucement of next improvement. Do some dev blogs, do something else then this... PLEASE! I'm begging you... :D

Don't get me wrong, I value the work the people at SI does, specially during this pandemic, I just hoped they had more thought, more consideration on the people of these forums and been saying these for few years. That is all. And also I agree we should have proper announcements already. :P

Edited by grade

30 minutes ago, zabyl said:

I think SI staff or mods can create polls from FM Community’s feature requests like they did with playable leagues before. I assume this can be a better way to make most clients happy.

If there was a poll to vote for purple skin, new gestures & team talk, condition features, new match screens, match timeline I would vote for “old one is ok for me, thanks for your kindness”. 

Only improvements I expect from FM22 are; tidying up statistics and solving statistical bugs with new data hub feature and reorganizing set pieces. If these two subjects are solved, I will definitely buy FM22. If not, I’ll continue to play FM21 and wait for FM23. 

They don't do polls or invalidate polls here, as the reasoning of some people is that these forums doesn't represent accurately all fans of FM.

Edited by grade

14 minutes ago, santy001 said:

Would that be Neil Brock - Community Manager? 

Does the title maybe help give it away?

Yes. But still think it should have been Miles to do announcement of Woman's football. That is an impotant feature. He is the boss, isn't he?

That is subject of another thread... sorry guys. back to subject of this thread. What about that font on the trailer, will that be in the game as well? :P

Edited by grade

6 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Just to clarify, I did it on behalf of Miles as the Community and Customer Experience Manager (my full job title you'll be delighted to hear :brock:)- I'm sure he'd have been very happy to do so, but he's an extremely busy man, so for the sake of saving him the time I did it. Much like the news article on the FM website wasn't posted by Miles himself. That's not to say doing so or the forums are beneath him - it's just he has a lot to keep him busy, so anywhere we can help out we will. And yes. we've tried to do so on his Twitter :D 

He's often reading these forums and I've often fed information back to him from feedback threads, or general comments etc. 

Just as a side point Im personally very happy with the level of interaction you give and long may it continue! Theres also many times where I've felt you've gone out of your way to clear up confusion and help people out in threads.

It's also great that we sometimes get people like Seb Wassel joining in on discussions too. The developers dont need to be participating in this forum so we are quite lucky that they do.

You know that annoying bit of the game (social media where your fans just hysterically over react to everything).

Perhaps that  should take on a 'faceinthegame' element. If we post something on here, we should be able to see our name and message appear in the game, albeit with context modifications.

Not just the stupid messages either. Wouldn't it be great if comments such as 

4 hours ago, Tonton_Zola said:

I’m just looking for my new £60m striker to not look like a drunken ice-skater

cropped up in game. 

(Not a serious suggestion by the way).

Edited by vikeologist

Looking forward to the wide CBs role, my club (St Johnstone) started using them last season but could never really replicate it in 21, so hopefully can get it working along those lines in 22.

Data hub looks like it'll be more useful than anything in 21 too, and the charts look digestible, which is better than the the cluster mess of passes you could get in 21, interested on what appears during games.

3D match graphics are dreadful and have been for a long time, I had to switch to 2D as it was really off putting how poor they are. I don't understand why people try and make excuses along the lines of "graphics don't matter if the AI is fine", as its not an either or situation, we should really be expecting the best of both. It won't stop me buying, or enjoying, the game, but it takes away from the whole experience a bit.

I agree with some of the posts on this thread that frustrations with the graphics engine originate from the fact that it went dramatically downhill in FM18, and has failed since to recapture the absolute basics of what (I feel) was moving in the right direction (e.g. lighting, shadows, pitch textures, colour pallet, stadium design and fan attire). There is no doubt that animations have improved, but there are still large logic gaps between what must be happening under the hood, and what we see transpire on the pitch. If my centre back is skinned by a quick turn or drop of the shoulder - and I see this - I can make informed decisions moving forwards. However, if my centre back does that stupid backwards run for 30 yards and fails to turn as the opposition striker breezes past him in a perfectly straight line, I'm going to question what I'm being shown.

Another source of frustration this year were the features that have always worked perfectly well (e.g. Data analysis tools) but were broken at release and never fixed.

Edited by rdbayly

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Just to clarify, I did it on behalf of Miles as the Community and Customer Experience Manager (my full job title you'll be delighted to hear :brock:)- I'm sure he'd have been very happy to do so, but he's an extremely busy man, so for the sake of saving him the time I did it. Much like the news article on the FM website wasn't posted by Miles himself. That's not to say doing so or the forums are beneath him - it's just he has a lot to keep him busy, so anywhere we can help out we will. And yes. we've tried to do so on his Twitter :D 

He's often reading these forums and I've often fed information back to him from feedback threads, or general comments etc. 

First of all not questioning your position... well deserve for person who is always glad to help out usually at the least the costumer, let alone a co-worker.

As concern of you making the favor of publishing here about the woman's football, just shows how a good person you are, to help out co-worker. That said i still think my opinion still stands, something has a big announcement as the introduction on future FM game of woman's football, should be announced by the head of the company. It is that big!!!!!!! Feel free to disagree with me.

Nice that si added a wide centre back role, but a narrow full back role is also needed. One that allows the full back to become a centre back in possession so you can make your back 4 shift into a back 3. Arteta, Pep and other positional coaches all do this, and it can’t be properly replicated within the current roles in the game.

16 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

homer-simpsons.gif

SI listening to every single person who knows what will make FM better....

Nice meme, but user-centred design does not necessarily mean you end up with the HomerMobile. 

Discretion, leadership, vision, strategy all required too. 

There is enough of a pattern here around dissatisfaction with the graphical representation of the game that I would be taking it very seriously indeed. Sadly, until meaningful competition arrives, the motors of change are likely to be quieter than they ought to be.

I just hoep my suggestions for more historical data will make the game (I already suggested it in proper place)

so I'd like to have to have lists of players with 100+ league games for the club. with 50+ goals. Lists per league with players of 100+ goals. Same with champions league.
It would do great for immersion to see how your 2034 superstar is doing comparing to the greats of the past.

Edited by the_hdk

1 hour ago, the_hdk said:

I just hoep my suggestions for more historical data will make the game (I already suggested it in proper place)

so I'd like to have to have lists of players with 100+ league games for the club. with 50+ goals. Lists per league with players of 100+ goals. Same with champions league.
It would do great for immersion to see how your 2034 superstar is doing comparing to the greats of the past.

I like this! Seems quite easy to implement as well, as long as historical data is available.

Hi.

Not sure if anyone has raised this. Was watching the trailer. Realised that the positioning of the cameraman is same as before. It's static too.

Shouldn't the cameraman be standing or sitting behind the ads board..? On top of that, it would add realism by making the camera move with the ball. 

One last one. Would be very glad if we are given an option or toggle to remove the cameraman if they were to remain static.  🙂

Just my 2 cents.

2 minutes ago, Powermonger said:

Screenshot of the new Data Hub screen from the sneak peak video

So... Instead of clicking Team Report, where you could previously find all that data, you will now have to click Data Hub, for the exactly same data? Or am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

So... Instead of clicking Team Report, where you could previously find all that data, you will now have to click Data Hub, for the exactly same data? Or am I missing something?

If you look at the left side menus, it appears the Data Hub now replaces the Team Report and to be centralising access to a lot of the reports. Hoping it's not just a relabel of some of the old screens but a revamp of them too. Not sure where items such as Squad Depth have gone.

Edited by Powermonger

4 минуты назад, Zemahh сказал:

I think this will be like that, they just rearranged existing screens, I think something similar was with players interactions last year, when they put it in one modal window, if I remember correct.

That's why this trailer was disappointment, except wide cd nothing really new.

On 29/09/2021 at 10:44, Powermonger said:

spacer.png

So really its just changed its name from team report to now data hub, i would say this isn't really a new feature but more of a name change but I'm still looking forward to it though. 

Edited by jckc221013jamie

On 29/09/2021 at 10:48, Zemahh said:

That's what i was thinking, its just an name change, so really there is nothing new here. I am looking forward to the new data hub though.

Edited by jckc221013jamie

3 hours ago, Powermonger said:

spacer.png

Im glad all the reports/analysis  for players, your own team and opponents is now in one place. I hope the more detailed stats can also be found here as well though, stuff such as chances created per 90, headers attempted and headers won per 90 etc. As currently you have to go to the squad view and then create a custom view, so for 1. it's not simple to access and 2. lots of people probably dont know these stats even exist.

7 hours ago, ak71 said:

Hi.

Not sure if anyone has raised this. Was watching the trailer. Realised that the positioning of the cameraman is same as before. It's static too.

Shouldn't the cameraman be standing or sitting behind the ads board..? On top of that, it would add realism by making the camera move with the ball. 

One last one. Would be very glad if we are given an option or toggle to remove the cameraman if they were to remain static.  🙂

Just my 2 cents.

To make it realistic, we should only have the view from the technical area and our seat. /s

5 hours ago, Powermonger said:

If you look at the left side menus, it appears the Data Hub now replaces the Team Report and to be centralising access to a lot of the reports. Hoping it's not just a relabel of some of the old screens but a revamp of them too. Not sure where items such as Squad Depth have gone.

Hopefully we get a more customizable depth chart rather than relying on the assistant's judgement.

On 28/09/2021 at 10:08, themadsheep2001 said:

Personally I miss the days the devs would be on in a regular basis, and I think the forum is all the poorer for it not having them as much, but just looking at the last page alone, it's always been entirely understandable as to why they do it less and less. Who wants to spend their extra time talking to someone who wants them sacked? 

As the #community has found so many more venues to talk FM, I feel like the official forums are mostly used for suggestions and bug fixes anymore. Which is valuable, but it lends itself to that kind of negativity. But some things haven't changed. Really just an excuse to post this beauty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrMIC7u-J5A

Le 28/09/2021 à 18:09, zabyl a dit :

I think SI staff or mods can create polls from FM Community’s feature requests like they did with playable leagues before. I assume this can be a better way to make most clients happy.

If there was a poll to vote for purple skin, new gestures & team talk, condition features, new match screens, match timeline I would vote for “old one is ok for me, thanks for your kindness”. 

Only improvements I expect from FM22 are; tidying up statistics and solving statistical bugs with new data hub feature and reorganizing set pieces. If these two subjects are solved, I will definitely buy FM22. If not, I’ll continue to play FM21 and wait for FM23. 

match timeline feature was important for me i liked to play with my brother and show him what happn in my match , and rewatch why there is a yellow car or red or an injury , i really didnt understand why they remove it i was useful to me  it really help to play at différents pace sometime on the week i was playing slowly but sometime i played à certains (un importante to me )games faster the time bar was helping me

If they remove it for esthétical reason why not giving us an option to show or hide the timeline bar . 

I agree maybe they should make a poll , but even à poll has limit 😂

Edited by destmez

11 minutes ago, destmez said:

If they remove it for esthétical reason why not giving us an option to show or hide the timeline bar . 

My personal opinion is that they should remove it when the game is played live (aesthetics and such, or just realism, as the manager would never look at random things while the game plays), but add it after the game is finished, since that is quite a normal thing to do...watch the game again, that is.

Le 28/09/2021 à 15:53, Deisler26 a dit :

homer-simpsons.gif

SI listening to every single person who knows what will make FM better....

You insulting every person who take their time making suggestions thanks you sir ....😒🙄

Edited by destmez