Football Manager 2022 Headline Features - In The Studio Part 1

8 hours ago, FM1000 said:

Yeah you nailed it. How hard is to write 10 variation od the same question, along with variation of each answer? Under the hood all questions and answers will have same effect as now it just the wording is different.

Not that hard for a copywriter or a content writer.

How long then till the 10 reworded variations start becoming repetitive aswell 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, DarJ said:

Have you guys ever watched press conferences of any sport? It's the same questions worded differently every single time

Yeah, this got a lot of chat after Naomi Osaka’s withdrawal from the French Open. Maybe it was just the podcasts I listen to (some of which are journalists that attend press conferences of the team they cover) but just about all of them were saying that  the press conferences aren’t where you get information. The relationships built in the hallways and post-game locker room access is where they get their scoops and thrills.

12 hours ago, hoddle1404 said:

Not a bad start. Looking forward for the data hub feature as it appears much cleaner. One thing still bugs me is whether the large empty space surrounding the 2D pitch is being reduced. 

What size monitor are you on? I zoom in on 2d to the point the commentary bar is in line with the ad hoardings and I don’t see much of anything beyond them. But I’m also on a 13” laptop so 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Harper

9 hours ago, VP. said:

But if there are no press conferences what use is my assistant manager? :D

How else will you know you are being overrun in the midfield?

18 minutes ago, Powermonger said:

spacer.png

I was excited that we could finally click on players and see their role and adjust until I read the bottom text :(

For your team? Look at the bottom bar.

For the other team? Have one of the panels on your tablet set to their formation. Their roles will be populated a few minutes into the game (presumably tied to some of the attributes of your coaches? Tactical knowledge, analyzing data?)

7 minutes ago, Harper said:

How else will you know you are being overrun in the midfield?

For your team? Look at the bottom bar.

For the other team? Have one of the panels on your tablet set to their formation. Their roles will be populated a few minutes into the game (presumably tied to some of the attributes of your coaches? Tactical knowledge, analyzing data?)

I know this information is available on the bottom panels and on the tactical formation panel but always wanted the ability to click on a player and toggle to show their role. Guess it will remain just a developer option.

18 hours ago, Platinum said:

I hope we can see those player league comparison graphs (as seen in the image below) for players we scout. So that when we scout a player we know how good they are at winning headers for example.

Screenshot_20211001-151031_YouTube.jpg.5e28ad796b008d7d4cc52e75114c58b1.jpg

I am hoping we also have the choice to do comparisons with players across the top 5 leagues in the save.

Also hoping they've added player stats based radial to player profiles so we can see it alongside the ability radial chart with something like the following:

TPk2Uo3.png

Edited by Powermonger
Update radial diagram

I know I'll get slaughtered for this, but I'm probably one of the only ones worried about the fact tactics will be less 'plug and play' :lol:

My game time is limited and I like the fact some tactics can be plug and play with really minor tweaks. I'm hopeless with tactics but absolutely love the game, and being able to pick a tactic I like the look of or that fits how a particular team play lets me get right into it without having to mess about too much.

Sorry to all the tactical legends out there but I need all the plug and play help I can get.

Edited by hm86

25 minutes ago, hm86 said:

I know I'll get slaughtered for this, but I'm probably one of the only ones worried about the fact tactics will be less 'plug and play' :lol:

My game time is limited and I like the fact some tactics can be plug and play with really minor tweaks. I'm hopeless with tactics but absolutely love the game, and being able to pick a tactic I like the look of or that fits how a particular team play lets me get right into it without having to mess about too much.

Sorry to all the tactical legends out there but I need all the plug and play help I can get.

The game does have tactic presets that you can choose from though and really your assistant advice should be *hopefully* be good enough to suggest to you sensible tactics. What we want removed is overpowered plug and play tactics that will win you matches no matter what type of players you've got and no matter what team you are playing against.

55 minutes ago, hm86 said:

I don't think anyone has a problem with picking a preset and running with it, providing you have the players to pull it off successfully. I'm sick and tired of teams in my Bundesliga save high pressing me for 90 minutes, when their players have bang average stamina and are on the red line of condition.   

1 hour ago, hm86 said:

Firstly, I wouldn't worry too much. We hear the same spiel every year, "tactics are now hyper realistic", "AI is infinitely smarter", "plug and play is done for", yet every year there's multiple game-breaking tactics available for download on day one. Very little has changed in that regard; sure, those tactics aren't quite as powerful as they used to be in the days of Rashidi's Diablos or Scramjets, when you could win everything with every team while holidaying, but exploit tactics that allow you to overachieve massively still exist. I don't think you've got anything to fear, SI would never risk alienating a huge portion of their customers with making the game that much harder overnight and if the tactical creator really got that big of an overhaul, we'd probably hear more about it by now.

And secondly, you've described the exact problem FM has had forever. The tactical creator is so obscure, less-hardcore players have no other choice but to download a tactic. Even the presets themselves can be an absolute disaster and the whole "we're being overrun in the midfield" feedback system does a terrible job at pointing players in the right direction. Unless you've got time to read lengthy guides and watch YouTube tutorials, you'd be hard pushed to create a decent starting point from the get-go yourself. Hell, we've all seen the FM21 reveal stream on Twitch, where even the presenters themselves struggled badly until Miles came in and rescued them.

There's too many buttons to press and too much fluff that can lead you in the wrong direction. Things are badly described and there's not enough visualization. "I want you to act as Mezzala on Attack duty, which gives you a Balanced individual mentality within the confines of our Defensive team mentality" is something no player has ever heard from their manager. Things need to be dumbed-down and the user vs. AI playing field has to be equalized somewhat if we want the game to be a realistic presentation of football.

Edited by Zemahh

48 minutes ago, Platinum said:

The game does have tactic presets that you can choose from though and really your assistant advice should be *hopefully* be good enough to suggest to you sensible tactics. What we want removed is overpowered plug and play tactics that will win you matches no matter what type of players you've got and no matter what team you are playing against.

I've tried that unsuccessfully haha. I'm just no good at working out roles and making sure they're balanced. Played football quite well in my younger days but just have zero tactical sense.

17 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

I don't think anyone has a problem with picking a preset and running with it, providing you have the players to pull it off successfully. I'm sick and tired of teams in my Bundesliga save high pressing me for 90 minutes, when their players have bang average stamina and are on the red line of condition.   

Yeah that would annoy me if I was even remotely good at making a tactic.

12 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

Firstly, I wouldn't worry too much. We hear the same spiel every year, "tactics are now hyper realistic", "AI is infinitely smarter", "plug and play is done for", yet every year there's multiple game-breaking tactics available for download on day one. Very little has changed in that regard; sure, those tactics aren't quite as powerful as they used to be in the days of Rashidi's Diablos or Scramjets, when you could win everything with every team while holidaying, but exploit tactics that allow you to overachieve massively still exist. I don't think you've got anything to fear, SI would never risk alienating a huge portion of their customers with making the game that much harder overnight and if the tactical creator really got that big of an overhaul, we'd probably hear more about it by now.

And secondly, you've described the exact problem FM has had forever. The tactical creator is so obscure, less-hardcore players have no other choice but to download a tactic. Even the presets themselves can be an absolute disaster and the whole "we're being overrun in the midfield" feedback system does a terrible job at pointing players in the right direction. Unless you've got time to read lengthy guides and watch YouTube tutorials, you'd be hard pushed to create a decent starting point from the get-go yourself. Hell, we've all seen the FM21 reveal stream on Twitch, where even the presenters themselves struggled badly until Miles came in and rescued them.

There's too many buttons to press and too much fluff that can lead you in the wrong direction. Things are badly described and there's not enough visualization. "I want you to act as Mezzala on Attack duty, which gives you a Balanced individual mentality within the confines of our Defensive team mentality" is something no player has ever heard from their manager. Things need to be dumbed-down and the user vs. AI playing field has to be equalized somewhat if we want the game to be a realistic presentation of football.

I hope you are right and I really appreciate your post. I'd love to be a tactician and create my own and spend hours developing and tweaking it but time just doesn't allow as much as it used to. Therefore, coming onto these forums and finding a tactic that looks similar to how my chosen team play IRL makes things much easier and quicker for me. 

I can then focus on getting the right players in/out and developing the youth to fit the chosen tactic.

Thanks again for your response, definitely given me a hint of hope.

45 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

I do hope the game is a bit harder next year though pretty too easy too overachive in FM21 unless you screw up massively

As a stats analyst the data changes are exciting, but I hope they actually work this year.

Stats launched completely broken last year, with the number of passes shown on team screens and individual player screens not correlating, and to my knowledge, was never fixed.

6 hours ago, hm86 said:

I used to be this way until I started creating my own tactics right around when they stopped with the sliders. I find the game way more enjoyable now.

The preset tactics are good starting points and so are other tactics circulating around the web. My problem with plug n play tactics is that they are usually overpowered and exploit the game in some ways. You’ll most likely never have to make any adjustments during the season or during a game. 

17 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

I used to be this way until I started creating my own tactics right around when they stopped with the sliders. I find the game way more enjoyable now.

The preset tactics are good starting points and so are other tactics circulating around the web. My problem with plug n play tactics is that they are usually overpowered and exploit the game in some ways. You’ll most likely never have to make any adjustments during the season or during a game. 

Depending how things go I might need to give it a bash. 

26 minutes ago, hm86 said:

Depending how things go I might need to give it a bash. 

Yea, I don’t see a problem downloading a tactic that you like or your favorite club uses in real life and of course tweaking it to better fit your team.

Hopefully the Asst man is way more intelligent this year especially with the new data hub that will give you smarter ways to make those tweaks. The assistant tries to do this now but some of their suggestions doesn’t compute.

8 hours ago, Platinum said:

Whenever I’m in a rut, I just go back to a preset let it run for a few matches and then start tweaking again. “Back to the basics”

1 hour ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Hopefully the Asst man is way more intelligent this year especially with the new data hub that will give you smarter ways to make those tweaks. The assistant tries to do this now but some of their suggestions doesn’t compute.

I've found that, more often than not, that applying Asst manager in-game advice generally makes an improvement to the way we play.  That said, I make sure that my AM shares similar tactical philosophies to what I'm trying to achieve (passing style, playing style, mentality, etc...)

4 minutes ago, GIMN said:

I've found that, more often than not, that applying Asst manager in-game advice generally makes an improvement to the way we play.  That said, I make sure that my AM shares similar tactical philosophies to what I'm trying to achieve (passing style, playing style, mentality, etc...)

For sure, Tactical style definitely matters. Ive had a asst manager that was defensive and every time he would suggest to go caution, he was also suggest that we have 6 defensive duties lol.

I hope the AI doesn't do that, but that could explain why some teams just sit back all game...

Another thing that I hope is fixed up a bit, is the same old media question and answers that we have had for years now and post match question & answers,  but from what I have seen so far its looking good.

il y a 46 minutes, jckc221013jamie a dit :

Another thing that I hope is fixed up a bit, is the same old media question and answers that we have had for years now and post match question & answers,  but from what I have seen so far its looking good.

I mean, there's only so much they can do, have you watched press conferences these days? Just the same old...hearing Arteta talking has got me so mad, it's just PR and the same questions all over again.

1 hour ago, evilpimp972 said:

I mean, there's only so much they can do, have you watched press conferences these days? Just the same old...hearing Arteta talking has got me so mad, it's just PR and the same questions all over again.

Yeah i get that, but i was just on about having a bit more variety of questions and answers. 

38 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Pre-match the questions should focus on player availability, tactical approach and the key individual battles.

They should absolutely not include questions on what I think of Stoke’s ‘bold decision’ to transfer list their second choice right back.

There is also no need to be asked questions right after the match and then yet again when you leave the match. Just condense these into a single set of interactions.

YES!!!

This! Please open a suggestion thread! I'm sick of answering all these useless questions. I'm here to answer questions about *my team*.

50 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Pre-match the questions should focus on player availability, tactical approach and the key individual battles.

They should absolutely not include questions on what I think of Stoke’s ‘bold decision’ to transfer list their second choice right back.

There is also no need to be asked questions right after the match and then yet again when you leave the match. Just condense these into a single set of interactions.

Yeah definitely agree.

On 02/10/2021 at 09:42, hm86 said:

I've mentioned this earlier in the thread. I'm totally against plug and play tactics but understand fully the reasons why people use them and for people that don't have as much spare time to come up with their own. For me, the possibility to bring an option for an AI difficulty level of some kind?  Playing one tactic, a super tactic that wins most games no matter the situation and opponent, shouldn't happen. Adaptability over plug and play please. 

6 hours ago, CalumF said:

I've mentioned this earlier in the thread. I'm totally against plug and play tactics but understand fully the reasons why people use them and for people that don't have as much spare time to come up with their own. For me, the possibility to bring an option for an AI difficulty level of some kind?  Playing one tactic, a super tactic that wins most games no matter the situation and opponent, shouldn't happen. Adaptability over plug and play please. 

The way I see it, you choose your difficulty by choosing a bigger or smaller club to manage. 

11 hours ago, Vali184 said:

The way I see it, you choose your difficulty by choosing a bigger or smaller club to manage. 

Does that mean Klopp is playing on easy mode in real life?

Should he move to the lower leagues for the ultimate challenge?

Edited by DP

3 hours ago, DP said:

Does that mean Klopp is playing on easy mode in real life?

Should he move to the lower leagues for the ultimate challenge?

I agree. Top leagues and teams should actually be hard considering the competition and the expectations…

Lower leagues should be harder but it’s so easy to out do the AI in the transfer market, it makes lower league easy as well…

On 02/10/2021 at 04:53, Powermonger said:

I am hoping we also have the choice to do comparisons with players across the top 5 leagues in the save.

Also hoping they've added player stats based radial to player profiles so we can see it alongside the ability radial chart with something like the following:

TPk2Uo3.png

Yeah I never understood why they hid this in the Coach Report.  

1 hour ago, Gary_Parker said:

As a Product Manager, an active backlog of 7000+ ideas is amazing and also must be management hell at the same time :lol:

Liking the sound of these changes and new features so far. Can't wait to see more

Hopefully a lot of those are related and can be plopped in the same epic and scoped out to an MVP for initial introduction and then built upon. Maybe a lot of clone of, related to, duplicate of, and blocked by issues?

I recall someone from SI saying that’s generally how new features are introduced. Like Dynamics, if I remember, has slowly expanded since it was first introduced.

Training has been improved and redesigned incrementally since they got rid of the sliders.

Le 30/09/2021 à 23:04, Mars_Blackmon a dit :

Passing inaccuracies, pressing. Some of the main points that was brought up in those “This game is easy” threads.

Hopefully the AI will be smart enough to read the game and not decide to sit back and soak up pressure until the 80th minute…but that looks hopeful with the new match momentum data…

Massive change in lower league this is beautiful  

5 hours ago, Harper said:

Hopefully a lot of those are related and can be plopped in the same epic and scoped out to an MVP for initial introduction and then built upon. Maybe a lot of clone of, related to, duplicate of, and blocked by issues?

I recall someone from SI saying that’s generally how new features are introduced. Like Dynamics, if I remember, has slowly expanded since it was first introduced.

Training has been improved and redesigned incrementally since they got rid of the sliders.

I also think many of the ideas end up being cancelled out as they may of been relevant at idea creation for FMxx but as the game matures the suggestion just doesn't quite fit anymore.

17 minutes ago, eric.van.der.haegen1 said:

I'm not impressed by this....if they go further on this way they should make 2 Football Manager games....normal and professional....i think that half of the players are not interested in numbers but just want to play the game whitout puttin' there universitycap on......

They do this, it's called FM and FM Touch.

On 03/10/2021 at 16:47, Vali184 said:

You can make the game slightly more challenging by lowering your manager's Player and Youth Knowledge attributes. Then the fog of war attribute masking actually makes an impact and you have to scout a player several times before you get the full picture of their attributes. Therefore, transfer planning is impacted because you can't just go into the player search and see the exact attribute. Then goes on to makes your decisions around scouting assignments more meaningful. You only have so many scouts, so you have to prioritize your positions of need.

1 hour ago, Harper said:

You can make the game slightly more challenging by lowering your manager's Player and Youth Knowledge attributes. Then the fog of war attribute masking actually makes an impact and you have to scout a player several times before you get the full picture of their attributes. Therefore, transfer planning is impacted because you can't just go into the player search and see the exact attribute. Then goes on to makes your decisions around scouting assignments more meaningful. You only have so many scouts, so you have to prioritize your positions of need.

There are many ways to increase the game difficulty. I just stated one example so people that demand a difficulty modifier can open their eyes and see there already are things in game that can increase the difficulty of your save. You can also start with low reputation and national level coaching license and choose Real Madrid as your team. Now try and keep these players in line. 

There's also an attribute that makes the board like you more and listen to your suggestions and demands.

Edited by Vali184

1 hour ago, Vali184 said:

There are many ways to increase the game difficulty. I just stated one example so people that demand a difficulty modifier can open their eyes and see there already are things in game that can increase the difficulty of your save. You can also start with low reputation and national level coaching license and choose Real Madrid as your team. Now try and keep these players in line. 

There's also an attribute that makes the board like you more and listen to your suggestions and demands.

Right, I was also just stating one example. Others complaining about difficulty may not be entirely aware that when you max out your coaching badge level and playing experience, that's FM's 'Easy' mode.

I am intrigued by what has been discussed so far and hope that the Data Hub genuinely changes how player's can approach data analysis in the game. It would also be good if there is a more tangible difference between the available data (and its usage) at a top European club and a semi-pro team.  It is also really exciting to see how positive the staff are about developments to animations and the match engine. 

However, it feels to me like the game is still missing at least one more headline feature. Something that you can point to as a significant change to the game rather than a tweak to an existing feature. Hopefully the second installment focuses on something that is yet to be announced. - a revamp of set pieces seems most likely at this stage.