Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

1 minute ago, Haguey said:

Royalist or not, absolutely no Brits on this forum, not even SCR, has been through this before.

Token and powerless or not it feels pretty seismic and fascinating doesn't it.

Biggest calculation is my first day at a new job is the 19th. Would that be funeral day? Getting central will be a nightmare.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, SouthCoastRed said:

The monarch passes, Winter is Coming! 

Sound familiar? 

(watch out for Boris on a dragon over Westminster)

I was sure him and Dorries where up to some kinky **** but wasn’t expecting that 

1 minute ago, RTHerringbone said:

The BBC coverage! Hearing about the windy route from Aberdeen airport to Balmoral and the wet road surface :D

A93 is not a fun road to drive on and there is a decent amount of b-roads there as well

4 minutes ago, Citizen Kane said:

There's a site for everything isn't there :eek:

I find its great especially when picking folks up from the airport as it saves me a trip to the arrival airports website as it'll give eta for planes (there is of course an app for it). 

Also sometimes I'll see a unique looking plane or helicopter above and it'll usually tell me what it is (my son especially likes to know what they are) 

30 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

But she's not head of the state, is she? Just a token function now.

And I don't know any 90+ year olds in charge of any European country.

Legally yes she is. Parliament won't be able to commence again until a new Monarch is crowned. Courts may well have to stop as well, Judges need to swear in royal oaths etc.

All the ceremonial ******** around the Queen is only ******** because everyone (Queen included) collectively agrees to treat it as such. But nothing can legally function without it.

1 minute ago, G-Man11 said:

All the ceremonial ******** around the Queen is only ******** because everyone (Queen included) collectively agrees to treat it as such. But nothing can legally function without it.

Which is what the news story should really be about. 

Edited by Vynal Seven

I'm no royalist - and obviously it's a bit different - but for me anyway it's bringing up some tough memories of getting the call that I needed to travel home because my grandmother was about to pass.

Not an easy thing to be travelling knowing a member of your family is on the way out, whoever they are.

1 minute ago, G-Man11 said:

Legally yes she is. Parliament won't be able to commence again until a new Monarch is crowned. Courts may well have to stop as well, Judges need to swear in royal oaths etc.

So what you're saying is, nows the perfect time to commit crime?

2 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

Crowned as in coronated? Surely they aren’t suspending parliament for 3 months.

Edited by Harryseaess

6 minutes ago, Vynal Seven said:

The way they can repeat the same tripe on a 15 minute loop with the same enthusiasm they had the first time they say it is quite impressive. 

I thought the radio was bad, 30 minutes after getting home and Huw and Nick have me reaching for the domestos to drink

1 minute ago, Harryseaess said:

Crowned as in coronated? Surely they aren’t suspending parliament for 3 months.

There will probably be a sworn in thing that makes it official fairly quickly and then a big ceremonial thing down the line.

Just now, G-Man11 said:

There will probably be a sworn in thing that makes it official fairly quickly and then a big ceremonial thing down the line.

This. He'll be sworn in as King this evening if she's died, then the coronation would probably be in the new year

3 minutes ago, Vynal Seven said:

Which is what the news story should really be about. 

It's almost as if we're a ridiculous island with silly laws we've never bothered to update. I think a lot of rules about the Monarchy are still the ones put in place in the 17th century following the Civil War.

Just now, Harryseaess said:

I don’t even think you get sworn in do you? It just immediately passes to Charles the second she dies?

I think the other siblings need to kiss the hand of the new king/queen to make it uncontested etc as a means of being ratified.  So Anne, Andrew and Edward would all need to be there.  

1 minute ago, Harryseaess said:

I don’t even think you get sworn in do you? It just immediately passes to Charles the second she dies?

Well yes but there will still be some sort of official thing that ratifies it if you know what I mean.