Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got the e-mail that we'll be off on Monday.

But anyone in the Trust who is directly involved in patient care - be they doctors, nurses or admin staff - will all be expected to work.

Any depts that wouldnt be open on a Bank Holiday will not be expected to work.

Apparently the five Trusts in the area have all come to a consensus on it though

Those that do work can have another day off at a later date or get paid for the extra day

Edited by batch

9 hours ago, ginnybob said:

Holy false equivalencies Batman. 

The tits protesting with a big police presence to protect them against a good hiding are of the same mindset of those who stand behind the police line at a football match with arms wide open offering the opposition fans, Without the ''despised'' police there to protect them they'd be nowhere to be seen. Perhaps the police should leave them be and let them figure it out instead of upsetting them and leading them out of harm's way

11 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

The tits protesting with a big police presence to protect them against a good hiding are of the same mindset of those who stand behind the police line at a football match with arms wide open offering the opposition fans, Without the ''despised'' police there to protect them they'd be nowhere to be seen. Perhaps the police should leave them be and let them figure it out instead of upsetting them and leading them out of harm's way

Perhaps they shouldn't be arresting them, yeah. 

6 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Weirdly enough, oncologists still work on bank holidays usually. There's also a massive difference between planned in advance bank holidays and whatever this has mutated into.  

I agree with the short notice issue you and CJ raise, but still seems to me to be a problem that hospitals have caused themselves. If oncologists were due to work on Monday, and usually work on bank holidays, why aren't they doing so this time? And they can get a day off in lieu? Feels like a trust should be able to deal with this stuff sensibly rather than us blaming it on the monarchy.

16 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Anybody who has to deal with IT sales calls in particular will love this. Just had an American cold caller leave a voicemail where they said that they'd first like to "express condolences for the loss of her Majesty the Queen".

Like we're all personally impacted by it or something.

Saw similar in a British Photography group on Facebook earlier. Loads of Americans in it cos they love us guys and loads of them replying to stuff "praying for you guys"

7 hours ago, SouthCoastRed said:

I think it was more in response to a misguided view of what public opinion would be. I don’t think they called them off to suck up to Charles, rather they stupidly thought it would be ‘for the best’

We both have no way of knowing this or agreeing about it, which makes this argument pointless, but I bet they didn’t, I bet they’d much rather it was much more private so they could grieve privately, but agreed to everything from a sense of duty.

It ****ing hurts to lose your mother, I hope you don’t discover that for a long time. 

I'm pretty sure Phillip wanted as private and low-key funeral as possible I don't think his misses is far from this view point, the protocol and pageantry and all the tradition is for the ''country''. King Charles looks as he's moved what he can along as fast as possible, so both sides don't get too peed off.  

4 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

:D  They've cancelled the football because as a country we have developed a psychosis over the royals where it is deemed necessary to display as much public "respect" as possible and somehow it's not because of the monarchy? You can't live in a system where it's drilled into the population that there's a special family who by blood are better than everyone else and we should all kneel down to them and then not blame said institution when things go wrong because people have been pre-conditioned to this sort of grovelling. 

Of course it's the monarchy's fault. 

I thought we were talking about hospital appointments rather than football, I find it baffling that hospital trusts don't have a plan they could've dusted off for this eventuality. I guess you're technically correct in that it's the monarchy's fault because if she hadn't died there wouldn't be a bank holiday :D but it strikes me as the hospitals are also very at fault because some of them have got themselves in a big pickle over something they knew was going to happen at some point.

Football cancellations are a bit odd and there's definitely an argument that there was a better opportunity to 'pay respects' by having them take place.

16 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

:D  They've cancelled the football because as a country we have developed a psychosis over the royals where it is deemed necessary to display as much public "respect" as possible and somehow it's not because of the monarchy? You can't live in a system where it's drilled into the population that there's a special family who by blood are better than everyone else and we should all kneel down to them and then not blame said institution when things go wrong because people have been pre-conditioned to this sort of grovelling. 

Of course it's the monarchy's fault. 

These phrases aren't especially pleasant.

8 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

I'd be more forgiving if it was just a matter of logistics, but cutting essential stuff (the hospital and foodbanks more than the football! :D) because of this moral panic to pay respects doesn't happen without having all these years of dogma shoved down our throats. 

Nearly as bad as religion

5 hours ago, mark1985 said:

My argument is why are they any more worthy of being the monarch than me? Or you? Or Dave from the pub? Being the head of a country (regardless of how much power they do or don’t have) shouldn’t be down to the lottery of birth. 

But if you want any hope of winning that argument don't protest past the Queens Coffin, Republicanism will not surge due to some goofy tit with a sign.

1 hour ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Were cancer check-ups cancelled on that day? Somehow I doubt it. 

A bank-holiday/federal holiday isn't the same as obviously essential services shutting down out of "respect". 

We are having things cancelled because the country keeps electing parties that are handing out bank holidays ther'll be another for the Coronation, so blame the electorate and opposition parties.

1 hour ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Big problem is this is such a short notice bank holiday. Definitely are some sectors where you are leaving people in the lurch if you treat it as a day off.

Should they have had her in the fridge and waited a few months? It's a Bank holiday isn't it meaning not everyone is off, the Police certainly aren't, and the plans have been in place for decades all trusts should have had a plan in place including if she'd died on their patch.

Not sure if already posted but "Dozens of Clarence House staff have been given notice of their redundancy as the offices of King Charles and the Queen Consort move to Buckingham Palace after the death of the Queen"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/13/king-charles-staff-given-redundancy-notice-during-church-service-for-queen

1 hour ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Arresting people trying to assault people holding up signs seems a much better use of police time than arresting the people with signs if you ask me. 

Really one in a van taken away and released a few minutes later out of harm's way with no paperwork, or scraping him up off the floor, or sticking twenty coppers in between him and those wanting to beat him up for a few hours, which will use more resources?

The Police have done him a favour he won't see it that way as he's a tit. If a Funeral of a Queen wasn't enough to push the pro monarchist, you have an anti-monarchist making it even more popular.  

He's got his five minutes of fame though. ''It's what he would have wanted''.

Edited by Garethjohn79

I mean, the arrest has got a a very pro monarchy MP questioning it, so I'm not sure it's actually making your argument. In fact judging by reactions to that and Centre parks etc, it's making people decidedly angry about what's going on. Don't think it's doing the monarchy any favours even though they haven't called for it. 

It's the type of ******** defence that enables action which nearly always impacts the vulnerable and ethnic minorities 

I'd have slightly (but not much) more time for the police if at any point they had said "look we're not trying to stop you protesting, but you might end up winding a few people up and if you're deep in the crowd we might not be able to get to you, so have a think" or something like that. But so far it looks like they've just come full jackboot in every example 

1 minute ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Yes. Police aren't there to make their job easier by infringing on the rights of law abiding citizens because they can't be bothered to deal with people who are actually breaking the law. 

They are there to protect first, they protected the tit from getting beaten up in the most efficient way possible. Hes not in hospital they've done their job. Who else were breaking the law? They prevented a crime from happening his assault again what Policing should be about.  

1 minute ago, Garethjohn79 said:

They are there to protect first, they protected the tit from getting beaten up in the most efficient way possible. Hes not in hospital they've done their job. Who else were breaking the law? They prevented a crime from happening his assault again what Policing should be about.  

This is the kind of ******** argument that sees minorities routinely have their rights violated by the police. So I would really like to know if you're going to defend racist policing soon

Just now, InigoPatinkin said:

If you let the police put law-abiding people in the back of a van for an easy time of things you end up with a police force that arrests women holding a vigil for a woman murdered by a police officer.

You reckon winding a huge crowd peacefully watching a hears with a queen in it is the same as that? At no point have I said you shouldn't protest, I'm saying they have prevented an escalation by removing the antagonist who could have been severely hurt, should the police have left him be? The Police had the safety of thousands to look after including the tit. They didn't have an internet forum to debate over hours and days to decide what to do, they had a few minutes, in this case taking him away and letting him go was the best way to handle it.