Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Gandy said:

Obviously wish Lizzy the best with her health, but I think her passing might be the catalyst for Australia to leave the Commonwealth. At this point, it just feels like a matter of formality that we’ve stayed in for so long.

Australia wouldn't automatically leave the Commonwealth organisation by ditching the Queen as head of state. Barbados have just done so and retain membership of the Commonwealth of Nations, though at this point it's not exclusive to ex-British colonies as they've accepted non-British colonies Mozambique and Rwanda.

1 hour ago, The Golden boy said:

Australia wouldn't automatically leave the Commonwealth organisation by ditching the Queen as head of state. Barbados have just done so and retain membership of the Commonwealth of Nations, though at this point it's not exclusive to ex-British colonies as they've accepted non-British colonies Mozambique and Rwanda.

My understanding of the Commonwealth was a little bit outdated, I didn't realise they'd made it the Commonwealth of Nations. Australia is a constitutional monarch though, with our head of state being the British monarch. Apparently under the Australian Constitution, the only action performed by the Queen is the appointment of the Governor-General (on the advice of the Australian Prime Minister). Currently it's David Hurley, and before him was Sir Peter Cosgrove. I think he's our commander-in-chief of the ADF too. Nonetheless, would like to be a (insert: @Tikka Mezzala's Revolution here), get rid of these colonial shackles once and for all :D

Lizzie2 is fine. She just pulled a sickie to get out of attending the commemoration of the partition of Ireland that literally nobody could have foreseen becoming a controversial political hot potato. That she didn't bother sending some no mark descendant or hanger on in her place is evidence that she just didn't want to be associated with it.

33 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Sometimes things get too personal on here. I'm in half a mind to report this. 

Do it, we need a zero tolerance policy for this sort of thing. I still haven't recovered from the reputational damage of being called a Celtic fan a few months back.

• SI Staff
15 hours ago, Gandy said:

I like the UK, but I really don’t see why we are a part of the Commonwealth, or if it’s really mutually beneficial. I’m even at the point where I’d like to see Western Australia declare independence, but after witnessing Brexit, I’d be more than happy to put that on the back burner for now. 

The commonwealth isn't the same as the Queen being head of state, there are plenty of commonwealth countries where she isn't

11 hours ago, Gandy said:

My understanding of the Commonwealth was a little bit outdated, I didn't realise they'd made it the Commonwealth of Nations. Australia is a constitutional monarch though, with our head of state being the British monarch. Apparently under the Australian Constitution, the only action performed by the Queen is the appointment of the Governor-General (on the advice of the Australian Prime Minister). Currently it's David Hurley, and before him was Sir Peter Cosgrove. I think he's our commander-in-chief of the ADF too. Nonetheless, would like to be a (insert: @Tikka Mezzala's Revolution here), get rid of these colonial shackles once and for all :D

3 hours ago, EdL said:

The commonwealth isn't the same as the Queen being head of state, there are plenty of commonwealth countries where she isn't

I did say my knowledge of it was a little outdated. 

As sad as it, I can’t see her lasting many more months. Seen it quite a lot in past work, where someone very elderly loses their loved one they’ve known for like 70+ years, and despite being relatively fit for their age, suddenly decline health wise themselves because of the traumatic impact it has on them.

2 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

As sad as it, I can’t see her lasting many more months. Seen it quite a lot in past work, where someone very elderly loses their loved one they’ve known for like 70+ years, and despite being relatively fit for their age, suddenly decline health wise themselves because of the traumatic impact it has on them.

Pretty much this. When Philip passed away, I remember saying to my mum that I thought Liz wouldn't last much longer without him. I'm really not confident she'll see next year, let alone her jubilee.

I'm really dreading that day, though, and not just as someone who still supports the monarchy. If people thought Philip's death got an obscene amount of coverage, London Bridge falling down would make that look like a total non-story.

Have to be honest, when I heard she had now gone home and someone further up in the thread made reference to the fact they didn't comment on her condition but just said about being 'in good spirits', it did make me think have they sent her home to be with her family for her last days etc?  Gonna be a monumental event when she does finally pass.  I'm no royalist, not against them or supportive of them, just don't really feel anything about them tbf, but it's quite a thing to be living when there is a change of monarch I suppose.  

Not to wish ill on the currently still living, but I do wonder if Charles would cede the throne to William. 

Charles is 72 and you'd expect 20-25 years at best probably from him while William at 39 you could get a good 50-55 years reign.

5 minutes ago, Pompeyboyz said:

Not to wish ill on the currently still living, but I do wonder if Charles would cede the throne to William. 

Charles is 72 and you'd expect 20-25 years at best probably from him while William at 39 you could get a good 50-55 years reign.

To be fair that's about the average reign isn't it? Just because Lizzy reigned for so long, we're not used to monarchs reigning for far shorter times.

In fact, George 3rd, Victoria and Elizabeth 2nd massively inflate the average. I can't see Charles ceding the throne just because William would reign much longer.

Screenshot_20211023-183058_Chrome.thumb.jpg.434def8c2650b4c2f63c40c2aea89b2b.jpg

• SI Staff

Yeah no chance.. and really why does it matter to have a 50 year reign

It is crazy to me though that ER was Queen when my parents were born and when my daughter was born!

On 22/10/2021 at 22:59, The Golden boy said:

Yea we're not leaving the Commonwealth, but I do think it would be the catalyst for a republic. Which would actually be amusing since it would need royal assent the way our constitution is written.

I think that there are a lot of things (the Commonwealth, Heads of State, Coronation oaths) that are real gray areas. 

Maybe one of you does have a complete understanding of it all, but I suspect that when people revisit all these legal and constitutional areas for the first time in 70 years for lots of different countries, there might be an element of confusion.

13 hours ago, Divinity said:

Yea we're not leaving the Commonwealth, but I do think it would be the catalyst for a republic. Which would actually be amusing since it would need royal assent the way our constitution is written.

How would a republic  be in any way better than what you have now, 

At the moment all power is effectively concentrated in the Aus Parliament with the Prime Minister essentially holding executive authority and only in extremis can the queen through the governor general act to reign in the aus gov (and then only with clear support from the country) 

An elected head of state essentially creates a separate power centre with its own mandate and wishes and devalues the power of the prime minister and parliament 

9 minutes ago, Synthahols_for_Girls said:

At the moment all power is effectively concentrated in the Aus Parliament with the Prime Minister essentially holding executive authority and only in extremis can the queen through the governor general act to reign in the aus gov (and then only with clear support from the country) 

An elected head of state essentially creates a separate power centre with its own mandate and wishes and devalues the power of the prime minister and parliament 

That's the key word there. For better or worse, they are at least elected.

13 minutes ago, Synthahols_for_Girls said:

The Queen doesn't need the support of the people to sack a government, the Whitlam dismissal proved that.

The problem is that it's a foreign head of state.

9 hours ago, Synthahols_for_Girls said:

How much power do you think this guy has?

image.png.74eb7eac5e4a1ecf7e985ea84195cc7a.png

Or this guy?

image.png.3f5c1f042887481cc72cabf3567fd5c2.png

3 minutes ago, Rafalution said:

How much power do you think this guy has?

image.png.74eb7eac5e4a1ecf7e985ea84195cc7a.png

Or this guy?

image.png.3f5c1f042887481cc72cabf3567fd5c2.png

Came in to say this. A figurehead president doesn't interfere with government anymore than a figurehead monarch and has the added legitimacy over a monarch of having been elected rather than born into the job.

19 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

Australia (or any country) being a republic with a figurehead president rather than a monarchy won't make the slightest bit of difference to anyone's lives though, so what's the point?

Because it's breaking shackles of the monarchy away, even symbolically.

1 hour ago, Crispypaul said:

Australia (or any country) being a republic with a figurehead president rather than a monarchy won't make the slightest bit of difference to anyone's lives though, so what's the point?

We can drop the Union Jack from the flag, and have a new inclusive Australia Day as the current date causes a lot of pain to our original land owners. 

1 hour ago, sc91 said:

Because it's breaking shackles of the monarchy away, even symbolically.

This. 

You can't fix every issue, and there are bigger constitutional issues as far as I'm concerned, such as an unelected second chamber, in the UK.

Not sure Australians give quite as much of a **** about the House of Lords in the UK as they do about being a republic.

You can't fix every issue, and there are bigger constitutional issues as far as I'm concerned, such as an unelected second chamber, in the UK.

I'd agree with that - to the extent that the Queen dying could well be the catalyst to change the HoL at the same time. I think there'll be lots people find they dislike about the monarchy that they won't have noticed, or cared about, until it's Charles doing it instead of Liz.

1 hour ago, eenie said:

Not sure Australians give quite as much of a **** about the House of Lords in the UK as they do about being a republic.

I was just speaking in terms of a UK citizens view, as there are others of the same nationality with eyes towards republicanism.

3 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

I'm pretty sure we could fix both of these at the same time. I don't think that's beyond the realms of possibility

2 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

I was just speaking in terms of a UK citizens view, as there are others of the same nationality with eyes towards republicanism.

Yeah, but if Australia want to become a republic then I don't think "sorry mate, what about HoL reform first for us Brits" is a valid response.

And this whole "we can't do x because there are bigger fish to fry" reasoning is infantile anyway. Governments can and do address multiple issues simultaneously.

4 hours ago, eenie said:

Yeah, but if Australia want to become a republic then I don't think "sorry mate, what about HoL reform first for us Brits" is a valid response.

And this whole "we can't do x because there are bigger fish to fry" reasoning is infantile anyway. Governments can and do address multiple issues simultaneously.

Brexit is a great example of this :D