COUNTDOWN! 0 days to the World Cup

Rob1981

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rob1981 changed the title to COUNTDOWN! 31 days to the World Cup.

Still blows my mind that former Chesterfield defender Rob Page is going to be leading a team at the World Cup.

See he's upped his interview game as well, fondly remember this gem when we were building our new ground:

All modern stadiums have food and shopping complexes around them, and this is no different.  The husband and kids can go and watch Chesterfield play, the wife can do her shopping, and then they can all meet afterwards for a bite to eat.

"The wife can do her shopping" :D  FFS.

Oh so it seems countries have to submit a "preliminary" squad to FIFA by tomorrow.  Can have 35-55 names in it, then your final squad of 26 can only come from this long list.

Seems utterly pointless when there is still four weeks of club football to be played.

Edited by Rob1981

• Rob1981 changed the title to COUNTDOWN! 30 days to the World Cup.
2 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Is it true Southgate is submitting a 55 man squad for this? Albeit preliminary but imagine how fuming you’d be as a premier league starter to not make that list :D 

Yeah, some FIFA thing that I only read about yesterday.  Countries have to submit a preliminary squad by today which can be 35-55 players, then your final squad of 26 next month can apparently only come from this list.  But don't know if all the preliminary squads get published.  Doubt the FA will "announce" the England one, although FIFA might put them all up I guess.

55 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Countries have to submit a preliminary squad by today which can be 35-55 players, then your final squad of 26 next month can apparently only come from this list.

So apparently this is for "operational reasons" :D  Basically can't guarantee that the Qataris will give players a visa if they haven't had a month's notice.

Apparently managers have the option of doing half-time interviews with broadcasters during the World Cup. Who is going to be stupid enough to agree to an interview if it's optional? Any managers out there who love to talk?

Yeah, I know he's doing well in Italy but Smalling has 31 caps for England.  Went to WC2014 and started all four games at Euro 2016.

He's hardly been underused for England compared to some of the decent PL players that went before him and couldn't get a look in.

• Rob1981 changed the title to COUNTDOWN! 29 days to the World Cup.
On 20/10/2022 at 17:35, Rob1981 said:

Oh so it seems countries have to submit a "preliminary" squad to FIFA by tomorrow.  Can have 35-55 names in it, then your final squad of 26 can only come from this long list.

Seems utterly pointless when there is still four weeks of club football to be played.

The preliminary squads are usually for visa reasons I think. Countries have to submit a list of potential players so that the host nation’s immigration authorities can process everyone potentially going. That’s why you can’t pick players not from your preliminary squad

• Rob1981 changed the title to COUNTDOWN! 28 days to the World Cup.
1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

Any idea how close Douglas Luiz will be to making the final squad? He was outstanding today.

I think he will only have a chance if some midfielder gets injured. He is not that far from the squad but still is more out than in.

• Rob1981 changed the title to COUNTDOWN! 27 days to the World Cup.
33 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Doesn't it go to the next highest rated side anyway, rather than what region they're from? Was talk of Italy getting in if Ecuador were kicked out 

The only people suggesting the Italians got in instead were the Italians.

55 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Doesn't it go to the next highest rated side anyway, rather than what region they're from? Was talk of Italy getting in if Ecuador were kicked out 

Think it was mentioned before, should be a World XI team that replaces them. Players from nations that didn't qualify, managed by Mancini.

Oblak: Spinazolla, Alaba, Bonnuci, Coufal; Verrati, Oddegard, Barella; Isak, Haaland, Salah

Kessie, Zaha, Diakhaby, PEA, Keita, Bennacer, Mahrez, Osimhen, Bissouma, Diaz, Almiron, Skriniar, That Georgian Guy, Soucek, Lindelof to name a few to contend for squad.

Iran won their place on the pitch, by excluding them it would be punishing the players who achieved that and would not help end the Iranian government repression.

But if they are excluded, obviously the spot will have to be awarded to another Asian team, not to a European one.

Edited by PMLF

5 hours ago, Barry Cartman said:

Long thread calling for Iran to be kicked out the World Cup

It's getting into real slippery slope territory this. What's the line for banning sporting teams on the account for their government's behaviour? Is the many numerous deaths/human rights violations committed by the host nation cause enough to ban them, or is that on the "acceptable" side of it? I'm sure plenty of folk in the Far East think the likes of the USA and other western nations are the cause of similar travesties in their nations in the not too distant past, should the USA get thrown out too?

Ideally sport shouldn't need to wade in on such matters, but recent events have proven the lines are rapidly blurring, and a debate is going to be required on how sport acts as it's becoming clear "we're just sport" doesn't fly any more. Going back to the start though, what is the line, and who decides where the line goes? It would be mad to only draw it at Iran, plenty of cause chucking Saudi Arabia too along with the hosts, I'm sure arguments could be made for virtually every other nation that's qualified.

1 minute ago, Darius1998 said:

Yeah, they likely can't just chuck them out at the moment. I would say though that FIFA should have banned them a long time ago, not for political reasons but specifically because they do not allow women to enter football stadiums.

They have been allowed to attend games since last August: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/26/football/iran-women-domestic-football-attendance-intl-spt/index.html

I don't know if the situation changed after the protests though.

5 minutes ago, PMLF said:

They have been allowed to attend games since last August: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/26/football/iran-women-domestic-football-attendance-intl-spt/index.html

I don't know if the situation changed after the protests though.

I think that was a special occasion. Might be wrong though.

There have been a few cases where they were allowed to attend 1 or 2 national team matches but the ban was put back in place soon after.

On 23/10/2022 at 15:50, Baptista_8 said:

Any idea how close Douglas Luiz will be to making the final squad? He was outstanding today.

Brazil manager Tite will be at the stadium to watch Newcastle vs Aston Villa on Saturday, that will be a good chance for him to see Douglas Luiz and others more closely.

• Rob1981 changed the title to COUNTDOWN! 26 days to the World Cup.
  • Rob1981 changed the title to COUNTDOWN! 25 days to the World Cup.

Been some friendlies over the last few nights. Those countries with home based players that don’t have to worry about European clubs releasing their big names obviously.

Saudi Arabia apparently drawn 1-1 with Albania tonight, although not sure what sort of team Albania were able to put out. Last weekend Saudis also beat some kind of North Macedonia team 1-0. Meanwhile Qatar have beaten Guatemala 2-0.

If Iran was thrown out, it should be Peru that qualifies. Even though they’re on the opposite side from Australia, we beat the UAE to qualify for the playoff against Peru. And it’s too late to organise a match between UAE and Peru. 

3 hours ago, Gandy said:

If Iran was thrown out, it should be Peru that qualifies. Even though they’re on the opposite side from Australia, we beat the UAE to qualify for the playoff against Peru. And it’s too late to organise a match between UAE and Peru. 

Agreed. Not Ukraine