FM23 Headline Features Revealed

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 06/10/2022 at 01:32, prot651 said:

Im going to wait for FM24 . Once the women's game comes into it I can then see an explosion of graphic and ME quality.  FM23 for me is not giving me enough for a purchase at this stage.  I think everyone at SI are more focused on FM24 and just are using FM23 as a game for small improvements.  I dont see licencing as a new feature or the managers timeline which is actually there anyway . Its been well documented on these forums about stadium graphics since FM17 yet 5 years and MEH no real strides forward. So much micro managing makes the game a chore rather than enjoyable and then they dump FM Touch from PC'S ? 4 weeks to go but disappointed at this stage . Cant see FM23 topping any other game in the series 

I'm betting the only headline feature of FM 24 will be woman's football, which is basically the same. Sure another will be something with a new lick of paint classed as a headline feature. FM is now a stale game, if it had proper competition it would be dead.

Edited by FCP_Football

Moving away from the graphics discussion i do think this year there has been a subdued enthusiasm 

• We are potentially one day away from BETA release and the release speculation page is only 30 pages while last year it was around 67. Maybe this is due to the current cost of living crisis causing people to make decisions 
  • Zealand, probably the biggest streamer of FM content has come out saying the graphics aren't acceptable.
  • Generally on Reddit it seems like people aren't really excited for this edition

For me, the Headline features werent headline. Some very good QoL additions in scouting and welcome changes to the ME. From the Videos, the ME looks noticeably improved and by the sounds of it low blocks/ defensive football are back.

Concerning that alot of the video showed long shots or pot shots from impossible positions and that no commentator have said anything on the completely ground built up Manager AI.

Graphically i think it should be improved markedly as theres no excuse in this day and age but i rather they reinvent the ME and tactics screen first.

30 minutes ago, FCP_Football said:

I'm betting the only headline feature of FM 24 will be woman's football, which is basically the same. Sure another will be something with a new lick of paint classed as a headline feature. FM is now a stale game, if it had proper competition it would be dead.

There are very able people out there who would have the capability to destroy the franchise and swim in the money but they don't. Maybe would be competitors just don't have the ideas to best them. A game worse than FM other than graphics might get some initial interest but people would come back.

1 ora fa, aj6658 ha scritto:

Moving away from the graphics discussion i do think this year there has been a subdued enthusiasm 

• We are potentially one day away from BETA release and the release speculation page is only 30 pages while last year it was around 67. Maybe this is due to the current cost of living crisis causing people to make decisions 
  • Zealand, probably the biggest streamer of FM content has come out saying the graphics aren't acceptable.
  • Generally on Reddit it seems like people aren't really excited for this edition

30 pages of people talking of "how FM should be" and not "how it is". The cost of living is a problem for anyone but posting on a forum costs nothing. I'd rather think there's not so much to talk about I'm afraid.

Edited by Federico

5 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

We''ll know in about 2 weeks when the first small club to big club guyse are in the top divisions. I am hoping it's really dynamic and changes as it should but, well, y'know...

Yea, it’s low key been a common theme that new features don’t work until the following year…

It seems like they are struggling to add "Headline" features now. Of course there is things that they are adding such as the supporters profile section which will hopefully add more realism for saves as clubs progress.

The real way they can improve from FM22 to 23 is by refining areas such as scouting, tactics, maybe new roles and a better working of certain roles ie the WCB that was introduced which has been a bit of a let down from what it was described as at launch of FM22 and improvements to the data analysis and making this data actually useful when signing players as currently if someone has poor data but good stats you can still sign them so you can basically ignore the data. Making the data more important would be a big step.

FM doesn't really take huge strides between games and it seems as the years go on those strides are getting smaller but it makes sense as the ability to add more "good" features get reduced as you add more across previous versions. SI must know that graphics are a huge sticking point for many and I'd hope that they are at least exploring options to get things moving forward from FM24. I will still buy FM23 as I will get circa 2000 hours out of the game but I have to say it's the least excited I have been for a new FM. 

https://fmfc.footballmanager.com/blog/more-new-features-elevate-your-fm23-experience

Last blog is out - Two bits i liked 

• "There are also improved transfer AI decisions across the game, including more sensible decisions from the AI when in administration."
  • "As always, we’ve done more work to improve newgen generation and balance the game world for those who, like me, enjoy playing with long-term saves."

Having initially been a bit underwhelmed by what's new this year, the more I read about some of the new features, the more excited I'm getting for when the Beta drops. The changes to recruitment, scouting, and the new squad planner are all things I will heavily use. Improvement to the Data Hub are welcome, particularly being able to quickly add all graphs instead of searching for each one separately. I barely used the Data Hub last year after an initial burst with it, so hopefully this will make it more user friendly. 

I know I'll be in a minority with this one, but I'm probably most excited about the changes to how cup draws are made. I love the game being more immersive, and I'm looking forward to how this will work in game. 

Changes to the ME and improvements to manager AI are always welcome. The new supporter profile thing looks interesting, but a little disappointing to hear it will only be partially dynamic. 

But yeah, although it doesn't seem a big leap from FM22, the scouting/recruitment thing alone is worth it. And also the added interactions with agents. 

Going forward, the three biggest changes I want to see are (same as everyone) a revamp of the set piece creator, a complete revamp on how international management is handled, most importantly from my own selfish perspective, a proper fully moddable pre-game stadium editor. Last one is a game changer for me. 

Edited by Dagenham_Dave

3 minutes ago, LeoFM said:

"There are also improved transfer AI decisions across the game, including more sensible decisions from the AI when in administration"

This is certainly interesting!

My only issue is if this was a big change, why not put it in the new manager AI or scouting revamp in the headline features. 

"As always, we’ve done more work to improve newgen generation and balance the game world for those who, like me, enjoy playing with long-term saves"

This phrasing is just too vague for me. 

What exactly have you done in order to improve newgen generation? How does it balance the game world?

Why do you leave it up to us, the playerbase, to actually figure that out?

Edited by LeoFM

2 minutes ago, LeoFM said:

"As always, we’ve done more work to improve newgen generation and balance the game world for those who, like me, enjoy playing with long-term saves"

This phrasing is just too vague for me. 

What exactly have you done in order to improve newgen generation? How does it balance the game world?

Why do you leave it up to us, the playerbase, to actually figure that out?

I'd imagine the quality of newgens coming through will be higher to stop teams clinging on to a whole team of 34+ year olds like what happened in FM22 - Biggest thing that ruined the game for me this year.  

10 minutes ago, LeoFM said:

"There are also improved transfer AI decisions across the game, including more sensible decisions from the AI when in administration"

This hopefully fixes many issues. I done a journeyman save where I left a club at the end of the season. before I left I let the goalkeepers contract run down as he was 35 and not up to scratch, the AI manager that replaced me just never bothered to sign a new keeper and ended up with a 16 year old regen who had 2 star potential in the Polish First Division playing. I finished 3rd and next season they finish 13th conceding double the amount of goals. Obviously not the only reason but watching AI teams just not fix glaring squad issues through the transfer market is frustrating. Hopefully this will address issues such as that

21 minutes ago, HibeeRyan said:

This hopefully fixes many issues. I done a journeyman save where I left a club at the end of the season. before I left I let the goalkeepers contract run down as he was 35 and not up to scratch, the AI manager that replaced me just never bothered to sign a new keeper and ended up with a 16 year old regen who had 2 star potential in the Polish First Division playing. I finished 3rd and next season they finish 13th conceding double the amount of goals. Obviously not the only reason but watching AI teams just not fix glaring squad issues through the transfer market is frustrating. Hopefully this will address issues such as that

Think the transfer module is the 2nd most important element to the game after the ME. It takes me out the game when i cant sell players for a realistic price or a team builds poor squads 

39 minutes ago, LeoFM said:

I figured AI transfers would benefit from squad planner coding. There is some sort of AI code there considering that you can ask the assistant to rank players.

1 hour ago, aj6658 said:

https://fmfc.footballmanager.com/blog/more-new-features-elevate-your-fm23-experience

• "There are also improved transfer AI decisions across the game, including more sensible decisions from the AI when in administration."
  • "As always, we’ve done more work to improve newgen generation and balance the game world for those who, like me, enjoy playing with long-term saves."

I like if there is improved transfer AI :thup:

1 hour ago, aj6658 said:

Love those two things, as they are stuff I've been asking for!

For me this is also a highlight:

A feature that many have been calling for on our forums, all user-controlled Under-18 and Under-23 teams can now receive invites to active youth leagues, even if those teams have been created after your save game began.

Playing a youth challenge with a team that doesn't start with a youth team was a bit of a pain since it could be created, but would never enter the league. Love this change.

5 hours ago, BuryBlade said:

Because what we all really wanted was more press conference questions and new meeting rooms.

I love you guys. Someone in here or on reddit L I T E R A L L Y complained about how lame it is that no matter which club you are at, you are always getting the same meeting room backgrounds. Now you cherry pick this one example out of the many more new stuff, and pretend no one actually wanted this. God, I can't wait until (hopefully) tomorrow, so people will finally start playing and enjoying the game, so we don't have to read this endless suffering of complaints for the sake of complaints.

Yes, there are many valid complaint points, but this is just absurd.

4 hours ago, 2feet said:

can someone post more quotes from the new blog please?  I cant get access to it 

In previous years, October was the month where my Twitter account became the place to reveal several new Football Manager features, big and small, that would improve your game experience but didn’t fit into the other major announcements.

With FMFC in place, we’ve decided to instead give this information out exclusively to you, our FMFC members, and save your Twitter timelines. You also now get it all in one go, rather than just a snippet every day.

More new features to elevate your FM23 experience

5 hours ago, BuryBlade said:

Because what we all really wanted was more press conference questions and new meeting rooms.

I don't mind more press conference questions; I just want them to be more contextual and sensible.

In other words, I don't want the same old questions about my on-loan youth players before every single league game - and I certainly don't want to have some BT Sport reporter ask me 15 minutes before the Champions League Final about Luton putting a reserve midfielder up for sale.

5 hours ago, FCP_Football said:

Yep - New leagues or licenses are not headline features. We need to stop accepting them as such. 

Edited by Just4Downloads

6 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I don't mind more press conference questions; I just want them to be more contextual and sensible.

In other words, I don't want the same old questions about my on-loan youth players before every single league game - and I certainly don't want to have some BT Sport reporter ask me 15 minutes before the Champions League Final about Luton putting a reserve midfielder up for sale.

the whole point of press conferences is to see the consequences of your answers take effect post-interviews. whats the point of answering that we have no chance of winning the league if players dont turn around and request a team meeting w/ regards to your answer??? 

9 minutes ago, dino88 said:

Also, no offense.. but who's actually going to play womans football?

I am planning to. I might even stay there longer than in the men's world. At least if it is more than a graphics and database update.

20 minutes ago, dino88 said:

Also, no offense.. but who's actually going to play womans football?

Me. Especially since it's gonna affect the men's football as well since it's apparently a complete re-work of ME (NOT graphics).

21 minutes ago, Just4Downloads said:

Yep - New leagues or licenses are not headline features. We need to stop accepting them as such. 

I am not a fan of dev. time being taken up in favor of impelementing women's football, and I won't even play it, but you have to be joking if you think women's football is not a new feature lol. It's not just copy pasting the men's side and giving the characters bigger chests. In fact it's going to be one of the biggest new features in the game for a while, whether we actually want it or not. 

12 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Nn5IkUN.png

SI Project Red Embargoing content creators on showing one of the headline 'features' in their not ads. That's not a great sign.

Also the Champions League licensing wasn’t shown either. 

If we were still months out from release I’d understand, but the beta will drop in the next week or so. The lack of marketing/hype generation for FM23 has been weird.

1 minute ago, Spedding said:

theyve done that everytime the youtubers get early access

They've seemingly allowed them to go into pretty good depth on most of the other 'headline' features. The one which is most substantial they block footage of.

Might be that it's one they're most heavily tweaking up to beta but still. You'd want to see the 1 real game changing aspect in their not ads.

The graphics argument makes no sense to me. Every other game out there has advanced its graphics and their sales have not gone down because they stopped catering to those with older machines by doing so. In fact the PC market has almost doubled in value in the last 10 years (almost $50B now) and that is not because people are buying old games for their old machines. So unless FM has a huge majority of players from countries where an average wage doesn't allow you to buy a new PC once every 10 years, the argument is just plain silly. 

SI have chosen not to focus on the graphics because they are prioritizing other things. What exactly that is, I am not sure because the last few years have not seen many advancements in the game. Manager timeline headline feature??? Give me an effing break - if my dev team came to me with that, they'd be fired - I'd expect that as a cool little thing a dev put together in his free time, not a headline feature. 

It feels to me like they are spending too much time tinkering behind the scenes when the impact to the overall game is minimal. The match engine and the AI is better than it was 3 years ago, yes, but is it so much better that it's worth the rest of the game having not really advanced? I'd argue, probably not. I'd also argue, that you should have a dev team fully focused on the AI, one focused on the match engine, one potentially on bugs/maintenance (depends on build structure because it might have to be the main squads) and then the other teams/squads focused on real changes. That's not the exact set up but the point is to have dedicated teams for those areas that are complex and really make or break the game. Then you have other teams which can be dedicated or rotate - quarterly or after each release so there is a particular focus for each release. You could then have a team dedicated to graphics for one release and spend a 1-2 years on that and then rotate them more when it is more about iteration vs big changes. These are things that impact the experience of the game  Of course, I don't know what budgets they are playing with so maybe that is not possible and they have a more shared resource model. Maybe they are already thinking like the above but if they are, we are not seeing the expected impact and so I'd look at how they are setup to achieve success. Are their KPIs/OKRs wrong, are their processes wrong such that they are losing focus or people are getting dragged off their main priorities to fix things.

I guess where I am going with all this drivel is that saying graphics are **** because they need to cater for low-end PCs or they will lose a large portion of their user base doesn't seem to add up. I think it is what they are prioritizing. And if that is the case, I question what they are prioritizing and/or how much time they are giving each priority because the progress of the game has been not much more than QOL stuff for a few years now.

Edited by ViG1980

1 hour ago, Volband said:

I love you guys. Someone in here or on reddit L I T E R A L L Y complained about how lame it is that no matter which club you are at, you are always getting the same meeting room backgrounds. Now you cherry pick this one example out of the many more new stuff, and pretend no one actually wanted this. God, I can't wait until (hopefully) tomorrow, so people will finally start playing and enjoying the game, so we don't have to read this endless suffering of complaints for the sake of complaints.

Yes, there are many valid complaint points, but this is just absurd.

Yeah, that was me! :D It is fun that you only take the last and less important point of the issues I mentioned, and I only gave it as example of the many small stuff that in my opinion are wrongly done. But yes, it was a complaint more about the laziness of the devs than the game itself. The fact that the game introduced an ugly picture of an office with the goal of making the game "more immersive", but it only resulted in a single click on some dialogue with the same ugly background picture no matter where you are... doesn't make the game more immersive, it just makes the game a bit more annoying because you unnecessarily change to a whole new screen just so you can see the background. It was something that in previous versions you could do without the screen changing stuff. So yeap, if you are moving me to a new screen only to show me the background, you'd better work a little bit on it, don't you think? At least some variety. So yes, my happiness level went a little up when I read that they added a couple of more pictures there. I wish you could feel the same joy as I do right now because of this :D

On ladies football, I'm really interested to see how SI integrate the stark differences into the match engine. If it actually feels different to watching the men's game then I'll absolutely play it. 

Also really hope they go pretty deep into the league systems as my local women's team are in the 3rd or 4th tier. Surely they won't do a fifa and just do international - Nobody cares about international management, right SI.

10 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

On ladies football, I'm really interested to see how SI integrate the stark differences into the match engine. If it actually feels different to watching the men's game then I'll absolutely play it. 

Also really hope they go pretty deep into the league systems as my local women's team are in the 3rd or 4th tier. Surely they won't do a fifa and just do international - Nobody cares about international management, right SI.

They did a whole blog and thread on it. I'll see if I can find, but long story short, if they hit even half of what they're aiming for it will be the biggest change in the game in years, because a lot of the changes and additions would benefit all of FM. 

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/how-were-introducing-womens-football-football-manager