*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, aj6658 said:

Ok what about dynamic youth ratings? Another major issue for long term saves

Do you not see the issue here. I have no doubt SI have identified this bug in advance of the BETA. The question is, will they fix it? 

Ive paid my money and if it isnt fixed i have a broken game for which im out of pocket for.

Ive given you two examples of SI not fixing issues. Youre blindly saying itll be fixed. If its been fixed, communicate that to us. Communicate to us if its still being fixed at launch. Make a commitment for it to be fixed. BUt they wont, the will start on FM24 and if its not fixed by winter, its not going to be fixed.

Maybe hold SI to a higher standard? 

I don't know what dynamic youth ratings entails.
But again i had no issues with youth, generated players etc.
So about the dynamic youth ratings i am not in a position at all to comment on.

I paid my money as well, had/have my issues but overall i'm still happy with the product compared to what i expect of it.
Which is, of course, a very subjective opinion.

I don't know if they'll be fixed or not. That is what i was trying to say. Only SI knows that.
Wholeheartedly agree with the communication part. The communication could and should be a lot better.

You don't know what standard i'm holding SI to. It involves a lot more than a couple of issues, regardless of whether they're big or small issues.

1 hour ago, rusty217 said:

Just want to say I hate changes like that. I'm starting my save in July/August. Things should be as they were back then, it shouldn't include managerial changes made in October unless you start in October or later, although an option to start at the current IRL date with current results/standings etc. would be a fantastic new feature!

I agree with this. I thought there was a data lock which would be well before October 24. In other words, we get the world as it was, let's say, at the end of the summer transfer window. Managers who are sacked a third of the way into the season should still be at their clubs at the start of the game. Then they can be removed at the winter update.

My other concern here is how this is done. Last year (FM22) there were issues with coaches who were removed in this way by SI had their histories all messed up. Ole was one of them. If you went into his history, it sort of didn't have an end date to his time at Man United. There were many other, lower profile managers who had similar issues. I know it's not game breaking, but it does mess with immersion.

I hope that Steven Gerard will at least not have any mention of Aston Villa in his history, as he technically never went there if they remove him at the start of the game.

21 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

But we are also BETA testers... we would identify issues probably missed by the internal testers, because they will naturally test the issues of known problems.... whereas us, we be testing 'blind', and find any other issues that they would've missed. We all know they will release a 'fix' that will have a knock-on effect on something else because the internal team wouldve missed it, as they dont have 100,000's of in-house testers. 

I thought this was the whole point of BETA testing.... not just to play the game early

Yes, and there is a list of the know issues in the bug tracker that points out the major things that got caught in testing before the beta. Even if the bug was caught, it doesn't mean it was fixed. And yes, the idea is to get more eyes on it, but also to test on various hardware setups and drivers. One of the things that SI usually releases hotfixes for in the beta is crashes, since they are ACTUALLY gamebreaking, and not in the "the game don't work like I think it should" way that has been a staple of the gaming slang now.

3 minutes ago, roykela said:

I paid my money as well, had/have my issues but overall i'm still happy with the product compared to what i expect of it.

I don't know if they'll be fixed or not. That is what i was trying to say. Only SI knows that.
Wholeheartedly agree with the communication part. The communication could and should be a lot better.

You don't know what standard i'm holding SI to. It involves a lot more than a couple of issues, regardless of whether they're big or small issues.

How are youth developing as compared to last year’s version?

Dear FM team! Thank you for this years FM, I like it, as always! :)
Might log some bug reports and feature requests in the coming days but just a short feedback that is directly linked to the new feature "squad planner". I really like the feature, it was the one that got me most excited before beta release because it finally replaces my excel lists... Here are some thoughts:

• Please let us add custom views to the screen. I need to compare e.g. the determination of my players here
  • Please add a "notes column" (for any view in the game) where we can add own content. Maybe even a rating so we can personally rate the players from 1-5 stars and then sort the players by our rating because our opinion might differ from the assistant manager's (it should not replace the assisstant managers rating).
  • I must admit that I find the way to add players to the squad planner very unhandy. I have to add each player individually with multiple clicks and I never have a full overview of all the players at my disposal. I get the feeling I miss players when planning. On the squad depth screen from last year I could easily add/remove players from a list via +/- buttons. This was way faster.
  • There should be an option that every player only shows up once so that you don't use them for two positions.
  • Possible bug: If I move a player the reserve team to the first team, he disappears from the squad depth screen and can't be added until I advance a day. That is unhandy because I like to plan everything on the first day of the season.

I was gettng excited hearing about a update hotfix, i thought ''well done si for resolving a big bug'' only to find out they removed a manager, which you can already do yourself with a real time editor. I seriously thought people were trolling when they said it's about gerrard getting sacked

6 minutes ago, zachalxnder said:

How are youth developing as compared to last year’s version?

The TLDR is that technical abilities are barely developing over time, while the mental abilities are growing waaaay too much

Do check out this thread if you want to see what some has tested: 

And this is the bug report thread: 

Hello, this technical attribute bug, I am really hoping that it gets fixed asap as I have started a save and really enjoying it which is unfortunate!!! so am wanting to continue it after the full launch 

I understand from what the staff have said - it will be fixed for full launch and the technical attributes will be fixed from the point in time that your save is at - but it wont fix the lost technical attributes prior. 

I do have a question about how wide spread this issue is. I am managing in Norway - with Viking IF . I have had several players that have had technical attributes improve quite dramatically , I will attach a few screenshots showing the technical upgradesimage.thumb.png.b48b5f113abc19b120d0897790a57dc0.png

image.thumb.png.838046452152644197cd64fa376fcf0b.png

Edited by samrnpage

7 minutes ago, roykela said:

But my point is there has been a history of issues which i have mentioned (lets not forget about the totally unrealistic possession stats in FM22 as well) which SI have not addressed. If it cant be fixed by the winter update, they move onto the next edition. No fix.  Thats exactly my point.

If there is a big issue like youth development, this needs to be communicated to the fans before hand so it can inform our decisions. Because i tell now, if i had known this was bug i would hold off buying the game and its still in by launch, SI arent getting a penny from me and thats the way it should work. If there was a competitor i would go there. They would lose money and force them to address it properly.

I feel like you are giving too much credit to SI with a wait and see position when historically they havent fixed things. 

This bug must of been known well in advance of the BETA, what makes people think the two weeks before launch its fixed?  

2 minutes ago, samrnpage said:

Hello, this technical attribute bug, I am really hoping that it gets fixed asap as I have started a save and really enjoying it which is unfortunate!!! so am wanting to continue it after the full launch 

I understand from what the staff have said - it will be fixed for full launch and the technical attributes will be fixed from the point in time that your save is at - but it wont fix the lost technical attributes prior. 

I do have a question about how wide spread this issue is. I am managing in Norway - with Viking IF . I have had several players how have had technical attributes improve quite dramatically , I will attach a few screenshots showing the technical upgradesimage.thumb.png.b48b5f113abc19b120d0897790a57dc0.png

It could be that technical attributes do develop on players at your own club (has this been confirmed yet?)

1 minute ago, LeoFM said:

It could be that technical attributes do develop on players at your own club (has this been confirmed yet?)

This is why I keep asking for more examples. There are too many unknowns, like what you’ve asked. Plus, does it depend on the database you’ve loaded? How much is this a difference from past years? 

9 minutes ago, Ferocious289 said:

I was gettng excited hearing about a update hotfix, i thought ''well done si for resolving a big bug'' only to find out they removed a manager, which you can already do yourself with a real time editor. I seriously thought people were trolling when they said it's about gerrard getting sacked

I think it was trolling, because they never released a hot fix like that before. Very well timed and humourous.

2 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

But my point is there has been a history of issues which i have mentioned (lets not forget about the totally unrealistic possession stats in FM22 as well) which SI have not addressed. If it cant be fixed by the winter update, they move onto the next edition. No fix.  Thats exactly my point.

If there is a big issue like youth development, this needs to be communicated to the fans before hand so it can inform our decisions. Because i tell now, if i had known this was bug i would hold off buying the game and its still in by launch, SI arent getting a penny from me and thats the way it should work. If there was a competitor i would go there. They would lose money and force them to address it properly.

I feel like you are giving too much credit to SI with a wait and see position when historically they havent fixed things. 

This bug must of been known well in advance of the BETA, what makes people think the two weeks before launch its fixed?  

I know what your point is. My point is that i am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you.

All i'm saying is that in my game i haven't seen those issues you're mentioning. I'm not saying they don't exist either, just because i don't see them in my game.
Who and what you spend your money on, what is acceptable or not for you is up to you. None of my business really.

I'm not giving credit to SI. I'm discussing your points, and your points only, compared to what i experienced in my game.
I am very well aware of things being fixed and things not being fixed throughout the years.

What was the bug with youth development? Because i genuinely don't know.
Please respond via personal message so we don't derail this thread more than we already have :)

I really do think the 'beta testing' part of FM is a missed oppurtunity. They could literally send out an update every other day if they wanted to and recieve better information from the 100,000s of people playing it, than there in-house testers. We wouldnt miss stuff becuase it would be new to us, whereas there inhouse team, most likely would have 'BETA' fatigue.

I understand FM is a complex game but in my opinion, the match engine is nearly there.... they just need help! (Volunteering)

Thank you for the responses, so it seems its just the AI players that have the technical stats bug , I see

I really do want an official line from SI - a proper one - saying it will 100% be a fix that is save game compatible, I am very nervous about continuing this beta save as I am enjoying it

1 minute ago, we88y said:

I don't understand.. That update has nothing to do with Steven Gerrard? I've just started a new save to see and he is still the manager along with the staff.

Was it actually a hot fix for the development issue?

It must've been the Steven Gerrard update... on SteamDB you can see the files Aston Villa have been updated

I will have a check myself when i get home

4 minutes ago, samrnpage said:

Thank you for the responses, so it seems its just the AI players that have the technical stats bug , I see

I really do want an official line from SI - a proper one - saying it will 100% be a fix that is save game compatible, I am very nervous about continuing this beta save as I am enjoying it

They have done so. It is save compatible, but not retroactive.

4 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

It must've been the Steven Gerrard update... on SteamDB you can see the files Aston Villa have been updated

I will have a check myself when i get home

I see that along with some other modifications although Gerrard and Staff are still at Villa for me..

Full list of changes below should anyone be interested.

•  Added – data/database/db/2300/dbc/aston villa.dbc (664 B)
  •  Modified – data/comp editor.fmf
  •  Modified – data/game/ads.fmf
  •  Modified – data/game/credits.fmf
  •  Modified – data/game/graphics.fmf (+15 B)
  •  Modified – data/game/panels.fmf (+5 B)
  •  Modified – data/game/properties.fmf
  •  Modified – data/game/settings.fmf
  •  Modified – data/game/skins.fmf (+10 B)
  •  Modified – data/game/tdd.fmf (-2 B)
  •  Modified – data/game/templates.fmf
  •  Modified – data/game/tutorial.fmf
  •  Modified – data/game_simulation/media.fmf (-1 B)
  •  Modified – data/sigraphics-pc.fmf (-188 B)
  •  Modified – data/sigraphics.fmf (+10 B)
  •  Modified – data/simatchviewer-pc.fmf (+41 B)
  •  Modified – data/simatchviewer.fmf (-47 B)
  •  Modified – data/simatchviewer_uncompressed.fmf (+38 B)
  •  Modified – data/sitoolkit.fmf (+12 B)
Edited by we88y

1 minute ago, we88y said:

I see that along with some other modifications although Gerrard and Staff are still at Villa for me..

Full list of changes below should anyone be interested.

•  Added – data/database/db/2300/dbc/aston villa.dbc (664 B)
  •  Modified – data/comp editor.fmf
  •  Modified – data/game/ads.fmf
  •  Modified – data/game/credits.fmf
  •  Modified – data/game/graphics.fmf (+15 B)
  •  Modified – data/game/panels.fmf (+5 B)
  •  Modified – data/game/properties.fmf
  •  Modified – data/game/settings.fmf
  •  Modified – data/game/skins.fmf (+10 B)
  •  Modified – data/game/tdd.fmf (-2 B)
  •  Modified – data/game/templates.fmf
  •  Modified – data/game/tutorial.fmf
  •  Modified – data/game_simulation/media.fmf (-1 B)
  •  Modified – data/sigraphics-pc.fmf (-188 B)
  •  Modified – data/sigraphics.fmf (+10 B)
  •  Modified – data/simatchviewer-pc.fmf (+41 B)
  •  Modified – data/simatchviewer.fmf (-47 B)
  •  Modified – data/simatchviewer_uncompressed.fmf (+38 B)
  •  Modified – data/sitoolkit.fmf (+12 B)

Can anyone else confirm? Has anyone else started a new game? (Yes, you in the back there........ all alone) :)

1 minute ago, greenz81 said:

Can anyone else confirm? Has anyone else started a new game? (Yes, you in the back there........ all alone) :)

Gerrard is no longer manager at Villa when you start a new save.

image.thumb.png.329b1da0e9e8a9fc2c84aedfa26ed5d3.png

8 minutes ago, XaW said:

They have done so. It is save compatible, but not retroactive.

Ah perfect 

With this information I think I will very slowly carry on this save and enjoy it (I dont want to get too far into the future)  - I usually do 1 save all year (Start at random club and see where it takes me). IF new information comes out and I have to start again so be it 

But I think this info gives people who are doing their main saves already some hope

What a heck of a bug though - potentially a complete gamebreaker - I know for some people it is already. 

Edited by samrnpage

44 minutes ago, Kaiserslautern1900 said:

Dear FM team! Thank you for this years FM, I like it, as always! :)
Might log some bug reports and feature requests in the coming days but just a short feedback that is directly linked to the new feature "squad planner". I really like the feature, it was the one that got me most excited before beta release because it finally replaces my excel lists... Here are some thoughts:

• Please let us add custom views to the screen. I need to compare e.g. the determination of my players here
  • Please add a "notes column" (for any view in the game) where we can add own content. Maybe even a rating so we can personally rate the players from 1-5 stars and then sort the players by our rating because our opinion might differ from the assistant manager's (it should not replace the assisstant managers rating).
  • I must admit that I find the way to add players to the squad planner very unhandy. I have to add each player individually with multiple clicks and I never have a full overview of all the players at my disposal. I get the feeling I miss players when planning. On the squad depth screen from last year I could easily add/remove players from a list via +/- buttons. This was way faster.
  • There should be an option that every player only shows up once so that you don't use them for two positions.
  • Possible bug: If I move a player the reserve team to the first team, he disappears from the squad depth screen and can't be added until I advance a day. That is unhandy because I like to plan everything on the first day of the season.

Welcome to the forums. Dont be afraid, currently the forum is in hyper drive mode because the release and how bare bones it is. But for suggestion I suggest copying them to designated forum where you can make suggestions. You can always write them here also to get discusssion going. But bugs, ideas for future ALWAYS should be copied to right sub forum

12 minutes ago, samrnpage said:

Ah perfect 

With this information I think I will very slowly carry on this save and enjoy it (I dont want to get too far into the future)  - I usually do 1 save all year (Start at random club and see where it takes me). IF new information comes out and I have to start again so be it 

But I think this info gives people who are doing their main saves already some hope

What a heck of a bug though - potentially a complete gamebreaker - I know for some people it is already. 

Experience tells me never to start a main save during beta. Play around with it, tweak tactics and upload some kits. Don't rush into a save - you've got next next twelve months to do that.

50 minutes ago, samrnpage said:

I do have a question about how wide spread this issue is. I am managing in Norway - with Viking IF . I have had several players that have had technical attributes improve quite dramatically , I will attach a few screenshots showing the technical upgradesimage.thumb.png.b48b5f113abc19b120d0897790a57dc0.png

The issue is with AI clubs. You should have no issues developing your players. I haven't had any issues on my side.

Just now, obasa_G said:

The issue is with AI clubs. You should have no issues developing your players. I haven't had any issues on my side.

This has always been an issue though. It’s why Liverpool play Salah until he’s 40. 

Edited by zachalxnder

After doing bad with Arsenal, and feeling like the team just doesn't follow my tactical chances. gonna do a few experiences with Man City.
This guy is just a cheat code. So many goals from so little chances. Jesus would fail all of those

image.thumb.png.e81de943b052912437e9ee03264c94c5.png

1 hour ago, DrIgz said:

I agree with this. I thought there was a data lock which would be well before October 24. In other words, we get the world as it was, let's say, at the end of the summer transfer window. Managers who are sacked a third of the way into the season should still be at their clubs at the start of the game. Then they can be removed at the winter update.

My other concern here is how this is done. Last year (FM22) there were issues with coaches who were removed in this way by SI had their histories all messed up. Ole was one of them. If you went into his history, it sort of didn't have an end date to his time at Man United. There were many other, lower profile managers who had similar issues. I know it's not game breaking, but it does mess with immersion.

I hope that Steven Gerard will at least not have any mention of Aston Villa in his history, as he technically never went there if they remove him at the start of the game.

He joined Villa in Nov 21 ;)

Just now, angelo994 said:

So can we confirm that the players not developing technical attributes is only for AI players only? If so I many actually continue my save.

I can confirm, but there is another problem, you can't sign any new gen and real 16 year olds they all reject moves

Just now, MrPompey said:

He joined Villa in Nov 21 ;)

Ahh, fair enough. Still, there would be many others who joined their clubs this season only to be sacked around about this time. I hope their histories are handled better than last year.

SI - My feedback so far for what it is worth

Firstly, I am enjoying the game like I do every year. It's again a very good game and the improvements haven't been huge, they have been good for me imo.

First impressions - I have to admit just felt like FM22 with a new squad planner bolted on the side bar, which made me a little bit salty to begin with.

I was super excited, one of those who was refreshing the twitter pages waiting for the Beta to release, for it to finally release and COD to ruin my Steam server so I couldnt download the bloody thing. Eventually downloaded it after an hour delay, I get all the gooey excited feelings I always get every release, just to open a save up and it feel exactly the same! - I think more effort needs to go into changing a few of the visuals screens every release just to make it feel newer maybe?

However I am into my 2nd season in my save and the stuff that is new, for me, has made the game a lot better. 

Scouting - For me this has been the biggest change that has made the game far more enjoyable for myself. I love the scouting focus screen, makes it super easy to get your scouts out to find what you need. They've also scaled back the length of time it takes to get full information of a players attributes, last couple of FMs it took weeks of in game time to get full knowledge, now the knowledge of the scouts helps and makes it quicker. I needed a CB, set up a top priority CB search and my scouts already had 2 recommendations based of their knowledge of CBs in my league! you can also see who they are scouting in real time. I also think this way of scouting is more realistic. This has completely removed the dozens of players id click "Scout now" and get 25 emails after 2 weeks. Its a far far better system, I love it.

Gameplay - Graphics aside (we do need to start thinking about better graphics), the gameplay this FM is by far the most enjoyable we've ever had. There isnt this repeated passes, or duplicated moves every 3 or 4 attacks, old FM's you knew what was going to happen most attacks! everything feels so much more dynamic and random and I personally love it. A highlight can be one team attacking for 90% of it and then a counter and goal. Extended highlights are the way forward!

Squad planner - I thought id use it more that I have. Its more a luxury to me than essential. It has been very useful at the start of my 2nd season as I lost a few of my main players to bigger clubs, it made it a lot easier to plan and create focuses with my scouts from that screen. It's one of those features that I will just pop into if and when, rather than something I rely on. I would miss it if it was gone now I have had it

1 hour ago, aj6658 said:

Yep. Pass completion % was broken throughout the whole of FM22, and it’s still broken in FM23 for leagues not run in Full Detail. This issue was identified in FM22 beta - never fixed. This is immersion (and game) breaking for any managers that love tactics or statistics. 

Edited by Just4Downloads

I will return to the beta when/if a hotfix comes about, the defending is so poor.  Well, in some parts its not too bad, but it is shocking in other parts. Over the top balls, some ridiculous heavy touches, and a lack of engagement.

Will upload PKm's

Edited by ChelseaSince86

6 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

One of the little annoyances still there, that I've fallen foul of again. When you go to 'clear cache' when installing skins etc, why oh why is the restore defaults option immediately above that? One misclick later and all my squad views, skin attribute colours, levels have all reset to default. It doesn't even give you a warning pop up when you click it. First world problems in the grand scheme of things, but intensely annoying nonetheless. 

6 hours ago, Tyburn said:

God yes. As a skin creator I hit this button A LOT!

This ! 1000 times this !

They have a warning on Clear Cache, but not a warning on Restore Defaults ! 

I've talked about this before.

It's horrible and it's killing us skinners considering the amount of blind trials and errors we have to do - and we have to clear cache 99% of the time.

6 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

Comparing FM-generated stats with real-life data providers is rarely a good idea - FM has its own set of definitions and requirements that very often differ from RL providers.

Think of FM as having its own in-house data provider, with their own way of defining stats. When data providers track e.g. a clearance they have to assume the intention of the player when doing so, in FM we know the exact intention of every player at all times. Another reason why they differ is we have to work them out purely through code, whereas real-life data providers tend to use people who often have to make subjective calls on what e.g. a 'mistake', 'big chance' or 'dribble' is.

FM stats should make sense within the gameworld and be an accurate reflection of what happened in the match - we don't design them with the intention of them just matching up 100% with the statistics you're seeing outside the game. We design our stats based on what we think is most accurate and suitable for our simulation. It does mean that some stats (OPPDA, interceptions, clearances, dribbles) will vary from what you see from the likes of OPTA, but they should be an accurate reflection of team + player performance within the gameworld.

I still think - both from the numbers and match engine experience - that interceptions are inflated, regardless. Either that, or the passing accuracy of players is poorer than usual regardless of tactical instruction, since most goals seem to be happening in a similar pattern that relates to interceptions and they seem to be the main cause of the whole ping-pong chaos effect happening in ME. 

I'd also like to think that interceptions are pretty black and white - seeing quadrupled numbers is still really intriguing to me - but the right teams are getting the most interceptions as is reflective of real life team performances and the right positions on the pitch are intercepting the ball more often - so maybe also my eyes are just deceiving me. 

Has anyone else noticed any issues with injuries, particularly a higher volume than what you would typically expect? 

I am getting a couple each week (or every other week), pretty much all as a result of training ground clashes. I understand injuries are part of the game and can hit hard at some points but this seems a bit OTT.

I just wanted to check before I post in the bug forum, may be something I need to tweak with my training.

1 ora fa, Ferocious289 ha scritto:

I can confirm, but there is another problem, you can't sign any new gen and real 16 year olds they all reject moves

Not true.

My first signing in my dortmund save was a 16 year old from another club