*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

On 20/04/2023 at 09:15, herne79 said:

Having skipped FM22 I took the plunge recently and bought FM23 so thought I'd leave some feedback.

On a positive note, I quite like the new Squad Planner.  It's a nice quick reference guide for who I may have coming through the ranks in each position and where possible gaps are (once set up).  It's a handy feature to have.

I know it's from FM22 but I also quite enjoy Deadline Day.  Colours change and there's an added sense of urgency and drama.

The new european cups graphics / music don't disappoint either and is a welcome addition.  I was also looking forward to the new style cup draws as I've always enjoyed watching the european cup draws unfold - it was brisk, fun and engaging.  Not any more however.  This was my exact thought process as I watched my very first Europa Conference draw:

"Great, love the graphics, wonder who I'll get?  ok, first team out of the hat, seems a little slow.  Second team - wow this is slow.  Aha - speed x3, awesome.  oh still slow...  Ahh an Advance button.  ok that's quicker but I'm not sitting here clicking 50 times - Advance to end.  Well that sucked."

So the draws for me have gone from a fun and engaging process (without flashy graphics) to a completely unengaging single button click to avoid the now tedious draws.  A happy mixture of the two would be great.

And speaking of graphics...no, not stadiums or the 3D graphics engine in match (which I actually think are alright).  And not even the completely pointless manager editor at the start of the game.  I'm talking about newgen faces:

spacer.png

Every time I click a newgen's profile I have to look at something like this.  Honestly it's just not up to the standard of the rest of the game and actually seems to be regressing.  Looking at a profile is the only time we actually get to see our players in any sort of close up.  It sucks the life out of immersion and quite frankly isn't good enough.

In terms of immersion breaking I've also spent all previous FM iterations avoiding - as much as humanly possible - speaking to my players and it's sad to see nothing has changed in this respect.  Limiting myself to praising a hattrick or a great week in training is all well and good but anything more is a minefield.  Case in point - an agent comes to me saying he thinks his client deserves a new contract and considers himself to be an important player.  I check my squad list first and see the player in question is "Satisfied" with his game time against his agreed playing time of "impact sub".  I talk to the agent (only because not doing so will upset things) and sure enough I have no option to say "what are you talking about, Dave is satisfied with his playing time".  So I end up upsetting him anyway.  The sad part is I'm not surprised because it's been the same for years.

I also remain disappointed with additions to the tactics screen.  The linking lines (which have been around for a while now) are meaningless to the point of being misleading.  Every so often someone starts a thread along the lines of "I'm doing alright but the lines linking my players are red, what am I doing wrong, please help".  Answer:  "The lines are only red because the game's coding doesn't think your player is suited for a role even though he is actually playing well".  The lines lack context (and always have) and are too focussed on the game's own attribute calculation rather than contextualising performance.  People get misled by this.

Linked to this is when I see pre match that my striker (for example) is "upset" because he's being played in an unfamiliar role - even though he's two seasons in to playing that role and has been performing really well throughout.  Again, a lack of context.

There are other issues of course, just as there are other good aspects to the game.  To sum up I'd say it is a good game but it gets held back from being a great game by what feels like a lack of attention to detail and one or two bad areas.

Edit - forgot to mention.  FM23 is noticeably slower continuing day to day than previous iterations, even with the same leagues / number of players loaded.  Pretty sure I saw SI say the game now processes faster (might be wrong there?) but that isn't my experience.

Black newgens having fully straight hair is something  I never really noticed until now. It’s a bit strange.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, blejdek said:

Can somebody explain why my most important players are playing god damn international matches ?????

wtf.png

There's international games going on and they were called up?

A thought coming to my mind right now regarding the 3D Match and its presentation is that i think the game looks the best i ever has and shows the most it ever has in regard to player abilites possible but i also have the thought that all that glory is lost when the game is played at higher speed settings like many Vids and Streams show - what i mean is, as you can not slow down the match speed for people who want it higher (yeah, i play 3D Scenes on nomal 1x speed) so probably the animations have to be opitmized for fast forward 3D presentation to have an impact in such a use case.

Yeah...and i almost have lost my desire for football, when you feel a certain team, that struggles not for the first time in years but this time so severely and may not become 11th time consecutively champion, seemingly is pushed by the authorities toward the title under the premise they did not want make a decisive decision in regard to the championship outcome when exactly not making this decision IS the decisive element and how the obedient apologists play down and defend that behavior being happy subjects to their southern supreme masters.

What a clownshow german football has become!

Well, what a clownshow germany has become!

I probably will not buy the next iteration of FM (FM24 and so on) and why i post this is that this is not the fault of SI but real world circumstances they have to deal with outside their influence, so i dont blame them for it!

Edited by Etebaer

4 hours ago, Jellico73 said:

There's international games going on and they were called up?

But its in middle of my season, where there is no international break, I just played a league match with my 2nd tier players (playing in premier league btw).

13 minutes ago, blejdek said:

But its in middle of my season, where there is no international break, I just played a league match with my 2nd tier players (playing in premier league btw).

If you are not using any custom files. I recommend you report this in the league specific issues section for the Premier League.

• SI Staff
22 minutes ago, Polando said:

Can i expect another update to fix the match engine? Is there a stance from the game developers on this?

Hi @Polando we do not plan on making any further changes to the Match Engine. We do have another Data Update coming soon, which will focus on the Chinese transfer window/leagues. 

With the last ME update coming in early March, we believe we’re at a point where our efforts are now best directed towards future editions of the game. Anything posted beforehand in our Match AI and Tactics thread will still be reviewed with future development in mind.

3 hours ago, Zachary Whyte said:

Hi @Polando we do not plan on making any further changes to the Match Engine. We do have another Data Update coming soon, which will focus on the Chinese transfer window/leagues. 

With the last ME update coming in early March, we believe we’re at a point where our efforts are now best directed towards future editions of the game. Anything posted beforehand in our Match AI and Tactics thread will still be reviewed with future development in mind.

You could have at least fixed the attacking corners at far post delivery. It's so easy to score if you put a tall defender, it's ridiculous. Do you feel it's normal that a defender scores 15+ goals per season?

10 hours ago, rodau said:

Just don't put your tall defender at far post :onmehead:

Seriously? So this is not a realistic corner routine that real life team employ? To take floating corners to the far post?

Yeah.. i put my corner delivery on mixed because the game has the same problems it had in FM15. Sorry for being blunt but this is the truth.

Edited by andu1

4 hours ago, esca said:

So will the new update contains any managerial change (like Gerrard sacked update earlier this season), or it will effect only Chinese leagues?

Check the pinned topic regarding the final data update. :thup:

Can you please re-add some formation for AI in FM 24. Some that are heavily used IRL. 4-4-1-1, 4-1-4-1, 3-5-1-1, flat 3-5-2...

AI can't even use some roles that play well in the ME like Defensive Winger or Wide Playmaker because they can only be used in a 4-4-2.

Why not add these formations at the start of the game boggles my mind.

I can't see my player's fatigue levels. it says I need a sports scientist but I have five of them. Any ideas why I'm not seeing this? Thanks

image.thumb.png.8873520bdae76e4ee1a42e45769fa3ae.png

When hovering over the heart icon I see this:

image.png.0b166b8043229da52a4444ec4227c5da.png

Edited by frank_olaf

Watching City on MOTD last night made me realise how FM has got stuck. Some of the chances City created were through astonishing talent and creativity that you never ever see in FM. A computer game should be able to easily enhance reality, to make it more beautiful. Eg FIFA, which often gets fairly criticised for allowing unbelievable goals to be scored.

I understand that FM shouldn’t be at the FIFA scale of exaggerated brilliance but…..rather that being unrealistic because it has so much creativity, FM is unrealistic because it doesn’t have anywhere near enough. In its drive for realism the developers seem to have squeezed individuality and team brilliance out of the ME. It’s strange that a computer game is unrealistic for being too dry!

im not sure if this is due to ME or graphics but I’m sure I saw more creativity in FM matches 7 years ago. 

Football is full of brilliant talents please unleash them in 24 SI

celtic player oh hyeon gyu

current ability 112, recommend ability 124

but in game 112, 110

no meanings 'recomment ability' ?

Which is real, 112 or 124?

Is it an error or is it intended

celtic oh.png

Edited by daght

2 hours ago, 91427 said:

This thread is pretty mad. Shows that pace is not that far away from being the only thing that matters in the match engine. Hope we'll get a more realistic ME one day

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/575222-pace-is-king-and-mentalstechnicals-dont-matter-how-to-overachieve-by-using-pace-merchants/#comment-14020016

No, what it actually shows is just one way of playing the game.  There are plenty of other threads and guides both in the Tactics forum and else where which show many other ways of playing the game 👍.

3 hours ago, bigbeezer said:

Seeing where players are in a formation with the ball and without it would be good.

You can per match if you look at the analytical data.

On 03/05/2023 at 21:03, andu1 said:

Can you please re-add some formation for AI in FM 24. Some that are heavily used IRL. 4-4-1-1, 4-1-4-1, 3-5-1-1, flat 3-5-2...

AI can't even use some roles that play well in the ME like Defensive Winger or Wide Playmaker because they can only be used in a 4-4-2.

Why not add these formations at the start of the game boggles my mind.

From my memory the idea was to help AI squad building by reducing formations with CMs so that the squad balance was better, like making sure they have a defensive minded midfielder.

Band aid over a larger problem for sure.

1 minute ago, Dotsworthy said:

From my memory the idea was to help AI squad building by reducing formations with CMs so that the squad balance was better, like making sure they have a defensive minded midfielder.

Band aid over a larger problem for sure.

The thing is that there some of the formations I mentioned had DM's in FM22:

4-4-1-1 we had 4-4-1-1 2 DM's

4-1-4-1 already has a DM

3-5-1-1 we had 5-4-1 Diamond

3-5-2/5-3-2 Let's say the current 5-3-2 DM can suffice

But the first 3 should not have been removed IMO

On 30/04/2023 at 12:32, xenomorphing said:

Not even limited to minor issues. Just rediscovered a major bug of the u18s not playing in any competition when promoting in the Belgian league. This issue was reported in FM21, reported in FM22 (then fixed) and still exists in FM23, and will likely see a return in FM24 at this rate. Plenty of examples of FM21 bugs still present, and that for a yearly 60$ pricetag.

I raised a ticket this year regarding staff preferred job filter basically lying to the player, making finding staff hard.

SI acknowledged the issue, offered a short term fix (which didn't work but appreciated the effort), and then confirmed it as fixed in the latest patch.

It isn't. The bug is exactly the same.

Edited by Dotsworthy

3 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

This has been explained by SI before:

Let's hope they Improve the AI and ME to make it able to use some existing real life football formations viable.

yeah... 4-2-3-1 is not 4-4-1-1 and neither is 4-1-4-1 a 4-3-3 even if positional are pretty close

9 hours ago, herne79 said:

No, what it actually shows is just one way of playing the game.  There are plenty of other threads and guides both in the Tactics forum and else where which show many other ways of playing the game 👍.

Obviously there's loads of ways you can play the game because it's not actually very hard. But pace being incredibly overpowered is still an issue 

I know you closed the GK are bad thread but the fact still remain that there is still something wrong with them.

Just look at how few shots the opponents have and my GK always manages to let one in. It seems i only get a clean sheet when the oppostion doesn't have any shot on goal.

And these are just the last 4 games...

image.png.8326f01d8c5c792f554a30a03a40dff1.png

image.png.07d985db4165529c944e0d37fbf3cb0a.pngimage.png.c509f516dd4dec054f8a773d78f707bb.pngimage.png.4fdd17e2ca8898473d703cbff40b457f.png

Edited by andu1

SI. 
 Is it too much to ask to resolve the unresolved issue since FM22 related to the aerial duel? In addition to harming the overall rating of the players, this is completely spoiling the experience of a match.

I hate that this happened to my team, but I'm happy it's in the game at least, after seeing so many people complain about not getting red cards for their goalkeepers...

s6p0ZOC.gif

2 hours ago, XaW said:

I hate that this happened to my team, but I'm happy it's in the game at least, after seeing so many people complain about not getting red cards for their goalkeepers...

s6p0ZOC.gif

Thats happened in a match for me before and I've seen a goalkeeper get injured once. I don't think goalkeepers are capable of fouling a player though unfortunately, which is the main way keepers get booked in real life.

Edited by Platinum

6 minutes ago, Platinum said:

Thats happened in a match for me before and I've seen a goalkeeper get injured once. I don't think goalkeepers are capable of fouling a player though unfortunately, which is the main way keepers get booked in real life.

Yeah, I've yet to see that too, but at least handballs outside the box exists.

11 minutes ago, Platinum said:

You could say time wasting is another effective way for a keeper to be booked, I think Pope's had 3 of them this season

Brought in a loanee in the January transfer window. He got injured in his second training session and four weeks later still not fit enough to play. The first game he was fit enough to start, he was cup tied.

Parent club manager is now unhappy with the loan agreement because I'd said he'd be a regular starter.

14 hours ago, andu1 said:

I know you closed the GK are bad thread but the fact still remain that there is still something wrong with them.

Just look at how few shots the opponents have and my GK always manages to let one in. It seems i only get a clean sheet when the oppostion doesn't have any shot on goal.

And these are just the last 4 games...

image.png.8326f01d8c5c792f554a30a03a40dff1.png

image.png.07d985db4165529c944e0d37fbf3cb0a.pngimage.png.c509f516dd4dec054f8a773d78f707bb.pngimage.png.4fdd17e2ca8898473d703cbff40b457f.png

I just had this game:

T8ocwyS.png

Although, I was the away team...

12 minutes ago, XaW said:

I just had this game:

T8ocwyS.png

Although, I was the away team...

You used either defensive or cautious mentality right? My GK problems start when using balanced and above mentalities....

Just now, andu1 said:

You used either defensive or cautious mentality right? My GK problems start when using balanced and above mentalities....

Nope, was on Balanced the whole match. Did change some instructions over the match, but mostly passing style from short to direct to try to take them on the counter, more than anything.

This was my starting setup, but changed some roles after we got pushed back and they took control over the match:

image.png.1aec6a38a147295654e9eb53dcc416cb.png

5 hours ago, XaW said:

s6p0ZOC.gif

The outfield player instantly changing into the goalkeeper kit :lol:

28 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

I noticed too! :D 

1 hour ago, autohoratio said:

I got confused at first, with another keeper mysteriously appearing. Had to play the clip again to see what had happened.

Just now, Zachary Whyte said:

Hello everybody, the China Data Update for Football Manager 2023 is now live, you can see more details in the link below.

Brilliant, thank you! I've been waiting for this to finally start my long term save.