Match 1: Qatar vs Ecuador - BBC1 4pm GMT kick off LIVE from the Al Bayt Stadium in Al Khor

Coulthard's Jaw

You've read the preview magazines, watched a couple of World Cup documentaries, found the best wallchart, made the decision not to boycott this event, listened to Three Lions a few times, you're in the mood and the wait is finally over, a World Cup like no other starts today and it's the big one between errr Qatar and Ecuador...

Qatar - Never played at a World Cup before. Ranked 50th in the world. Akram Afif and Almoez Ali are their two best attackers, if they are going to do something today, they need those two to click.

Ecuador - Their best World Cup ever was 2006 when they got knocked out by a very boring England side in the last 16. Ranked 46th in the world. You will probably recognise their best player, Brighton's Moises Caicedo. 

Licence fee funded STAT

_127701369_qatardebut13st.png

TV Coverage

In the UK we're getting commentary from generic BBC commentator Steve Bower and Homes Under The Hammer presenter Dion Dublin. In addition, if you have a 4K TV you can watch it all LIVE in 4K via the BBC iPlayer.

Controversial

Why is this World Cup so controversial? Watch this Ros Atkins video

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Opening Matches

There have been some classic ones down the years:

Find the goalkeeping on this so dodgy :D if something like this happens today :D 

Scotland :( 

France such a mess in 2002.

tbh, opening games not been the same since they moved to the host playing in them rather than the defending champions.

Maybe very slightly torn on this. Try and park all the off the pitch stuff and focus on what it means to the Qatari players... still a huge deal to represent your country in its first World Cup. And they have shown enough in the Asian Cups and friendlies to suggest that they aren’t complete no hopers.

But then. Any success they have on the pitch and it legitimises the whole mess and gives the Qatari backers something to cheer. On that basis quite happy to see them pumped 10-0 in all three matches.

And Ecuador look decent this year. Qualified well. Think they will get through this group quite comfortably, especially now Senegal are missing Mane.

Still not getting the usual excitement. Too much about this tournament that's dampened spirits. Hoping that will change once things kick off.

Even worse when I think I'll be sat on my own watching the England game tomorrow.

That said, never wanted a host nation to get humped quite as much as Qatar.

Edited by ginnybob

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

Would love to see Qatar get pumped in the opening game. Probably going to be 1-1 though, nice friendly handshake behind closed doors nobody loses face and both teams can continue the tournament from here.

Yeah, a cagey draw wouldn't rouse too many suspicions for an opener.

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Will probably be a bit late, but I can't see Qatar getting a single point without refereeing assistance.

They're arguably the fifth best team in Asia but have generally done well in recent years. Wouldn't be a massive shock, tbh.

They are ranked 50th in the world now, South Africa were 83rd or so when they hosted it.

15 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

I'm still not sure why Dublin is still a pundit, hasn't played for 15-20 years and doesn't really say anything.

For MOTD they can at least say ex-United player, he's pleasant enough I guess.

he’s incredibly lazy in his analysis. No research or anything just… vibes.

Probably my least favourite tv pundit.

WORLD CUP FACT-WATCH

• Qatar are the first World Cup debutant in an opening game since Senegal in 2002.
  • If you exclude the very earliest WCs in the 1930s, they are the first country to host a tournament without ever qualifying previously.
  • First target for Qatar is to avoid the ignominy of being 'Worst Ever Host Nation'.  Currently this is South Africa (2010) - a Group Stage exit but with four points on the board.
  • Ecuador were absent in 2018, so only three survivors in the squad from their last campaign in 2014; these are Enner Valencia, Alexander Dominguez and Carlos Gruezo.
  • All three are going into their second WC, so there is nobody this year that can match the record of three WCs for Ecuador - this record is held by Edison Mendez (2002, 2006, 2014).
  • However Enner Valencia only needs one goal to hold the outright record of 'Most World Cup Goals' for Ecuador - currently he shares this with Agustín Delgado (3).

Have Qatar literally brought back every mascot and every theme tune from every past World Cup for this ceremony?

Are they bringing out all the old World Cup stars too? "Lucien Laurent scored the first ever World Cup goal in 1930... AND HE'S HERE TONIGHT!"

BBC with a decent VT at the start, to be fair. (But the less said about the intro titles, the better. Vomit.)

And a reminder that Blatter actually awarded "the 2-22 World Cup" to Qatar. We've been calling this whole tournament wrong the whole time! :p

Just now, git2thachoppa said:

Worst World Cup tv intro ever? What WAS that?

Suspect they have gone out of their way to not “celebrate” Qatari culture in the way they normally would with the host nation? So the titles are simple. Just WC goals and big players, but not having them juxtaposed with deserts and camels and massive infrastructure projects.

Just now, Rob1981 said:

How are they already talking about Gareth’s team selection? :D  Give us something on Qatar and Ecuador ffs.

This is why World Cups are always better when we're not there. I ****ing hate the England chat before, during and after every single game at the tournament. I want to hear about the actual game being played.

Just now, Rob1981 said:

How are they already talking about Gareth’s team selection? :D  Give us something on Qatar and Ecuador ffs.

It's not a major tournament if 5 mins is only spent on actual game, rest on discussions about England and interviews about England.

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Suspect they have gone out of their way to not “celebrate” Qatari culture in the way they normally would with the host nation? So the titles are simple. Just WC goals and big players, but not having them juxtaposed with deserts and camels and massive infrastructure projects.

My problem was the visuals and the bizarre 'music' which sounded like a 9-year-old discovering the button on a keyboard that says a quote.

I would say it was straight out of the 90s but that's an insult to the 90s, it was just horrible.