Kane, Neuer and Van Dijk risk instant booking over one love armband

decapitated

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/20/england-harry-kane-may-abandon-onelove-armband-booking-fear-world-cup-qatar-take-knee

England’s players will take the knee before the start of their game against Iran on Monday but Harry Kane must decide whether to support LGBTQ+ rights by wearing the “OneLove” rainbow captain’s armband amid fears that the gesture could earn an instant booking.

In the latest farcical development to grip the World Cup, a potential row is brewing after it was suggested that referees could be left with no option but to caution captains who wear the “OneLove” armband in Qatar. Fifa has asked that all captains wear a different armband on each match day, promoting social messages such as “Football unites the world”, “Share the meal” and “Bring the moves”.

England and Wales had planned to defy Fifa’s request by wearing the rainbow armband. The Football Association wrote to the game’s governing body about its plans in September but received no response. The FA had indicated it would be prepared to receive a fine and is seeking clarification over whether Kane could start the game on a booking if the England captain dons the armband against Iran. As there is no precedent there is no clarity over what the punishment would be for breaching Fifa’s equipment regulations. Fifa has been approached for comment.

Kane stressed his desire to wear the armband before England face Iran in their opening game in Group B. “We’ve made it clear as a team and a staff and organisation that we want to wear the armband,” the striker said. “I know the FA are talking to Fifa at the moment and I’m sure by game time tomorrow they will have their decision. I think we’ve made it clear that we want to wear it.”

Gareth Southgate echoed those comments. “I know there are conversations going on,” England’s head coach said. “I think a number of European countries have spoken. We’ve made our position clear. Hopefully everything will be resolved before the game.”

The president of the German football federation (DFB), Bernd Neuendorf, has said Germany are prepared to be fined if Manuel Neuer wears the rainbow armband against Japan on Wednesday. However the DFB is concerned that Neuer could be booked.

Virgil van Dijk is worried about the consequences of wearing the armband when the Netherlands face Senegal on Monday. “I will wear the one love armband,” the Netherlands captain said. “Nothing changed from our point of view. If I will get a yellow card for wearing it then we would have to discuss it because I don’t like to play while being on a yellow.”

Van Dijk is expected to wear two armbands, also taking the field with the official Fifa one.

England’s players will demonstrate their opposition to discrimination by taking the knee before kick-off. The squad discussed the issue before training on Sunday. “We feel we should,” Southgate said. “We think it’s a strong statement that will go around the world, especially for young people, that inclusivity is important.”

I would imagine if Kane got booked instantly after kick-off it would be amazingly bad PR for Fifa and Qatar.

Edit: Telegraph is reporting its officially banned by FIFA. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2022/11/20/fifa-ban-harry-kane-england-wearing-onelove-armband-world-cup/

The Football Association has been told by Fifa its regulations do not allow for Harry Kane to wear the “OneLove” armband designed to express solidarity with marginalised people, including the criminalised gay community, at the Qatar World Cup finals.

The latest conversation, part of a standard meeting between team officials and the Fifa match commissioner on Sunday, has left the FA deeply frustrated with Fifa on the eve of the first game against Iran.

There is concern among some European nations who have pledged to wear the armband in Qatar that the team captain could be subject to a booking as soon as the game kicks off, although that has not yet been conveyed to the players.

Fifa has said in private that it has to approve any change to the equipment worn by the players on the pitch. The governing body has so far failed to respond to the FA’s requests to get approval for the “OneLove” armband which Kane wore in the two most recent Nations League games in September. Fifa has also failed to offer any clarity on the issue to the media.

On Saturday, Fifa launched alternative armbands with what it describes as messages of solidarity. The Fifa armbands have different slogans for each round, most of them meaningless. The design of the Fifa armbands is said to incorporate the heart of the “OneLove” armbands favoured by the European nations but not the rainbow of the “OneLove” version that represents the LGBT community.

Speaking earlier in the day, the Holland captain Virgil van Dijk, whose side face Senegal on Monday, alluded to the risk of a booking for wearing the armband.

Van Dijk said: "I will wear the one love armband tomorrow. Nothing changed from our point of view. If I will get a yellow card for wearing it then we would have to discuss it because I don't like to play while being on a yellow [card]."

The England and Wales team operations groups both met with Fifa officials ahead of their opening games in Qatar. That is a standard meeting that takes place with officials from both sides before every game. Fifa declined to comment.

Edited by decapitated

The Sun, however, is reporting Kane is preparing to wear the armband even if he gets booked.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20487476/harry-kane-armband-one-love-fifa/

ENGLAND skipper Harry Kane WILL wear the One Love armband in the Three Lions’ opener against Iran - despite a threat that he could be BOOKED for doing so.

German FA chiefs were warned that there was a possibility that any team skipper wearing the armband in defiance of Fifa’s demand to only wear the official slogan could be cautioned before the game started.

With two bookings bringing a one-match ban, such a policy could have a major impact of the tournament.

England are the first of the eight European teams committed to the policy to go into action when they kick off against Iran tomorrow.

It meant a shadow potentially hanging over the Spurs man, Liverpool’s Dutch captain Virgil van Dijk and Wales leader Gareth Bale.

Fifa declined to make any comment on “speculation” and it does seem it was a situation that was hinted at, rather that stated directly.

But with the FA insisting Kane WILL wear the armband, there was a unified approach from the Germany camp in the north of Qatar.

And the striker says he is ready to risk being booked or fined for wearing the One Love armband at today's World Cup opener.

Kane said: "I feel we've made it clear as a team, as a staff and as an organisation that we want to wear the armband.

"I know the FA are talking to Fifa at the moment.

"I'm  sure by game time tomorrow they'll have their decision.

"We've made it clear that we want to wear it."

Meanwhile, German FA President Bernd Neuendorf told broadcaster ZDF: “We will stay with the European position.

“We will play with it and tomorrow England, Wales and the Netherlands will play with it. 

“Fifa came up with their own armband idea just two days ago. 

“That’s was not acceptable for us. 

“England have played with the One Love armband already and the captains of the teams said, they will play with it. 

“So we could not agree with Fifa on this point.”

If Fifa were to order referees to caution Kane and the other seven European skippers, the world body would be in breach of its OWN rules.

Fifa President Gianni Infantino spoke on Saturday about the revised “statutes” of the organisation.

And Article 3 of the Statutes reads: “Fifa is committed to respecting all internationally recognised human rights and shall strive to promote the protection of these rights.”

By booking a player for an armband supporting those SAME rights, Fifa would be actively stopping the “protection of those rights” rather than promoting them.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fa-fears-harry-kane-may-be-stripped-of-one-love-armband-in-dressing-room-before-opener-b8zlwft2w

The FA fears Harry Kane could be ordered to remove the “One Love” armband by a Fifa official in the England dressing room before Monday’s World Cup opener against Iran.

The FA wrote to Fifa in September requesting permission for Kane, the England captain, to wear the rainbow-coloured armband in Qatar but, much to the FA’s annoyance, it was still seeking clarity late on Sunday night.

Gareth Southgate, the England manager, is set to name an attacking team for the group B opener at the Khalifa International Stadium, utilising a back four. England have never started Mason Mount, Bukayo Saka and Jude Bellingham together, but the trio are poised to play with Raheem Sterling and Kane.

Kane, 29, is one of seven captains from European countries, including Wales, who announced their intentions to wear the armband as a message against discrimination in Qatar, where homosexuality is illegal.

But late on Friday night, Fifa informed the federations that it had produced armbands, promoting messages such as “football unites the world”, “share the meal” and “bring the moves”. An anti-discrimination message is not due to feature on armbands until the quarter-finals.

The FA is said to be liaising with the German federation over how to approach the matter, after suggestions that any player wearing the One Love armband could be booked. Two yellow cards would trigger a suspension. Fifa would not confirm any potential punishments until rules are breached.

The FA had planned to ignore Fifa and wear the armband, even if it led to a fine. The possibility of a booking as punishment came as a surprise to the FA, but Kane reiterated his desire to wear the armband.

“We’ve made it clear we want to wear the armband,” Kane said. “I know the FA are talking to Fifa, and I’m sure by game time they will have their decision.” Southgate, who confirmed that his players will take a knee in their matches at the World Cup, added: “We’ve made our position clear, hopefully everything will be resolved before the game.”

Fifa rules prohibit players from wearing any items of kit with political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images.

Spineless cowards, no bottle to boycott back in the day and now won't even take on Fifa for a gesture of solidarity. Players should just take matters into their own hands. They've done far worse, such as down tools for managers they dont like anymore. If all them do it, will Fifa have the stones to book the whole squad at kick-off? Doubt it.

Utterly pathetic by the FA's, and the players if they also follow suit, by backing down here. The armband was a token gesture but at least it was something, the fear of a booking was all it took to have them running. Not a single backbone among them. Protests are not meant to be comfortable and are meant to have consequences and this was the mildest consequence ever. 

6 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Literally not the point. Either you do it or you don't mention it at all. 

Then we go back to the discussion we had the other day and me trying to convince you they're just trying to play both sides and there won't be any support if there are consequences that would jeopardize the result in any way.