How to make countries generate players?

What is the best set up to ensure countries generate domestic players? 

What I mean is, when I played FM2020, African countries such as Nigeria, Ghana etc, were not generating any domestic youth players at all, and therefore their whole U20's squads were full of players that generated in England.

I don't want to have to load the Nigeria league to resolve this, on previous FM's this used to happen normally, im not expecting a full Nigeria U20 squad of Nigerian league regens but the big Nigerian clubs should surely be generating a few players every year.

Is there a way to 'fix' this?

To show this is not just a me issue, it was reported in the bug forum by someone else 

Now I don't know if it's just an African thing or what. I remember South Africa generating domestic players fine when I didn't have the leagues loaded. But none of the West and East African countries seemed to

Basically, it depends on how you set up the initial database. The game tried to keep it just as balanced as that was. So if you have lots of African players in the original database, your game will keep start generating more when the older ones retire. That's why I suggest adding all international players from all continents whenever starting a new save. It might slow down things a bit, but you get a greater variety of players.

I always add it to my saves, and it makes all nations have a full national side at the very least, even with a limited set of nations and leagues actually loaded.

image.thumb.png.684525df75c4264a8f522c57429522eb.png

image.thumb.png.757cee1ef77e7d945f93bcca02683bec.png

image.thumb.png.027d543d15432bd1bb04cacd667ff14a.png

4 hours ago, XaW said:

Basically, it depends on how you set up the initial database. The game tried to keep it just as balanced as that was. So if you have lots of African players in the original database, your game will keep start generating more when the older ones retire. That's why I suggest adding all international players from all continents whenever starting a new save. It might slow down things a bit, but you get a greater variety of players.

I always add it to my saves, and it makes all nations have a full national side at the very least, even with a limited set of nations and leagues actually loaded.

Thank you! Also thanks to the guy above

I guess your screenshots are from the start of the game (I recognise Bong Kalo from Vanuatu lol) so what happens in say, 2035, will countries continue to generate national players? Like will it go as im hoping and Nigerian players will generate in clubs such as Enyimba, Lobi Stars etc?

57 minutes ago, ryanlion28 said:

Thank you! Also thanks to the guy above

I guess your screenshots are from the start of the game (I recognise Bong Kalo from Vanuatu lol) so what happens in say, 2035, will countries continue to generate national players? Like will it go as im hoping and Nigerian players will generate in clubs such as Enyimba, Lobi Stars etc?

No, my screenshot is from 2028, so quite a few of those players are newgens. Also, the youth teams are also nicely filled out, even if most of the players are utter crap, as you would expect.

Ut8LIzs.png

bEwMXpD.png

78B5dPl.png

For this game, I manage in Denmark and this are the loaded leagues:

sAao01z.png

The biggest playable leagues are loaded (top playable, rest view only), as well as countries close to Denmark. It still give a nice player count and lots of players from around the world.

yUl2lfY.png

For me, this is the best way to play, but it does make things a bit slower as the years go on, but I don't mind that.

1 minute ago, XaW said:

No, my screenshot is from 2028, so quite a few of those players are newgens. Also, the youth teams are also nicely filled out, even if most of the players are utter crap, as you would expect.

Ut8LIzs.png

bEwMXpD.png

78B5dPl.png

For this game, I manage in Denmark and this are the loaded leagues:

sAao01z.png

The biggest playable leagues are loaded (top playable, rest view only), as well as countries close to Denmark. It still give a nice player count and lots of players from around the world.

yUl2lfY.png

For me, this is the best way to play, but it does make things a bit slower as the years go on, but I don't mind that.

Brilliant, thank you! Nothing worse than being a few years into a save and realising you didn't set up your game properly 

2 minutes ago, ryanlion28 said:

Brilliant, thank you! Nothing worse than being a few years into a save and realising you didn't set up your game properly 

Yeah, it can make or break the enjoyment for me. For what it's worth, this is what I do, in detail:

Advanced setup, select the leagues I want, then I set a medium database and tick of this for all continents:

tDX44sT.png

This will increase it a bit more, but it will also make sure every nation has a decently sized pool of players.

If I were to mange in England, for example, it would look like something like this:

STC2sfP.png

6 hours ago, XaW said:

So the game will generate new players even if a league isn’t loaded? Will these players normally be at playable leagues or will they still be based in their home country?

6 minutes ago, oi_oi_ginger_roy said:

So the game will generate new players even if a league isn’t loaded? Will these players normally be at playable leagues or will they still be based in their home country?

Yes, it will add players domestically in the country if it is like that initially. Taking Eswatini as an example since I showed that above, here are a few of the squads of the biggest teams there:

drPxWFj.png

kPTTJhO.png

V1KV143.png

As you can see it varies how many players they have, but the biggest clubs still have some even in quite the obscure place as Eswatini is, in a footballing sense at least.

6 minutes ago, XaW said:

Yes, it will add players domestically in the country if it is like that initially. Taking Eswatini as an example since I showed that above, here are a few of the squads of the biggest teams there:

drPxWFj.png

kPTTJhO.png

V1KV143.png

As you can see it varies how many players they have, but the biggest clubs still have some even in quite the obscure place as Eswatini is, in a footballing sense at least.

That’s great thank you. I was toying whether to load the leagues to get players or just tick the option in the advanced section. You’ve answered my question 👍🏻

Just now, oi_oi_ginger_roy said:

That’s great thank you. I was toying whether to load the leagues to get players or just tick the option in the advanced section. You’ve answered my question 👍🏻

Happy to help! At least this is how I prefer it, as I hate to see national sides that are empty or with all grays. It also makes it (more?) possible for random small nations to pop up with some great talents, at least I think/hope so.

23 minutes ago, XaW said:

Happy to help! At least this is how I prefer it, as I hate to see national sides that are empty or with all grays. It also makes it (more?) possible for random small nations to pop up with some great talents, at least I think/hope so.

This is another thing I wondered, would it increase the possibility of someone good coming through from Eswatini, or are they hard stuck being Eswatani level league players?

I feel most of the time on FM, when you see a wonderkid from a random nation, when you look at their history they generated at a European 'big' club, which is a shame, as it would be amazing if you could just pick up a 15 year old gem who's popped up in the Seychelles league!

As it does happen in real life, Victor Wanyama was playing in the Kenya league as a youngster before being taken on trial by Beerschot in Belgium, Mkhitaryan was at Pyunik in Armenia before being picked up by a Ukrainian side, i'm sure there's many other examples out there

Eusebio was playing in the Mozambique league when Benfica picked him up! 

4 minutes ago, ryanlion28 said:

This is another thing I wondered, would it increase the possibility of someone good coming through from Eswatini, or are they hard stuck being Eswatani level league players?

I feel most of the time on FM, when you see a wonderkid from a random nation, when you look at their history they generated at a European 'big' club, which is a shame, as it would be amazing if you could just pick up a 15 year old gem who's popped up in the Seychelles league!

As it does happen in real life, Victor Wanyama was playing in the Kenya league as a youngster before being taken on trial by Beerschot in Belgium, Mkhitaryan was at Pyunik in Armenia before being picked up by a Ukrainian side, i'm sure there's many other examples out there

Eusebio was playing in the Mozambique league when Benfica picked him up! 

Well, I don't have any proof of it working, but since FM is a game or numbers and chance, I think it's likely when more players generate there.

On 23/11/2022 at 21:45, XaW said:

Yeah, it can make or break the enjoyment for me. For what it's worth, this is what I do, in detail:

Advanced setup, select the leagues I want, then I set a medium database and tick of this for all continents:

tDX44sT.png

This will increase it a bit more, but it will also make sure every nation has a decently sized pool of players.

If I were to mange in England, for example, it would look like something like this:

STC2sfP.png

Awesome! I will try this instead of loading 32 leagues for 115k players and variety as I just did.. :rolleyes::) 

1) Playing 15 leagues with 100k players instead of 30 leagues with 100k players should be a bit faster right? =)

2) What's the point of "View only below" tho? I dont understand that choice as you only load the top division anyway?

3) Are China and USA loaded because it is rich transfer markets? I can go along with that.

Thanks @XaW

Edited by Dreambuilder

40 minutes ago, Dreambuilder said:

Awesome! I will try this instead of loading 32 leagues for 115k players and variety as I just did.. :rolleyes::) 

1) Playing 15 leagues with 100k players instead of 30 leagues with 100k players should be a bit faster right? =)

2) What's the point of "View only below" tho? I dont understand that choice as you only load the top division anyway?

3) Are China and USA loaded because it is rich transfer markets? I can go along with that.

Thanks @XaW

1) Yes, this should make things go a bit faster as far as I can tell. There are less matches played at any rate, so it makes sense for me.

2) I do it because I sometimes like to see how teams do down there, It's a personal preference, so just loading the top tiers is an option.

3) I usually add a few countries outside the continent I'm playing on to expand the world a bit. China and the US makes the most sense to me since they have money as well as being some of the bigger leagues in North American and Asia.

Thanks @XaW. One problem I see with for example not loading Brasil and Argentina leagues is that there is like no scouts with knowledge there without the leagues. And unfortunately staff cant be loaded customly, thats a shame.

Edit: Found a few good scouts tho with Brazil and Argentina knowledge. Some Portugese nationality scout. That will do.

Another question is if scouts will be able to scout players in countries without leagues as there wont be many games to watch. Might be an issue if I dont load for example Brazil and Argentina which are top regen producers in regen quality.  (se https://www.passion4fm.com/football-manager-scouting-regions-nations-youth-rating/)

Edited by Dreambuilder

17 minutes ago, Dreambuilder said:

Thanks @XaW. One problem I see with for example not loading Brasil and Argentina leagues is that there is like no scouts with knowledge there without the leagues. And unfortunately staff cant be loaded customly, thats a shame.

Edit: Found a few good scouts tho with Brazil and Argentina knowledge. Some Portugese nationality scout. That will do.

Well, I have Brazil added in my picture, so there's that! ;) 

I landed in a compromise. I loaded about 15 nations that I like and who also gives a fluid transfer market.

Then I used your tip on adding custom data. But I didn't load every single country in the world as some of them doesent seem to produce very much quality newgens. 

So for newgen quality and less slow game speed, I added quality players from all countries with 3 star or more in this list kind of: https://www.passion4fm.com/football-manager-scouting-regions-nations-youth-rating/

The result is about 16 leagues and 90000 players.

On the other hand, loading quality players in all nations will give that occasional exotic nation newgen. Damn I'm torn what to load up in relation to game speed and a good transfer market. I'm now leaning towards  @XaW's loading all international players + @Neil Brock's loading all players globally with continental reputation + players from clubs in continental competitions in Europe so I dont have to face teams with all grey players in UCL. 

With about 16 leagues this nets about 90k players which is fine. The remaining question now is if it's too many players for too few leagues, if I will be able to sell the players I need to sell.

Edited by Dreambuilder