Match 14: Uruguay vs Korea Republic (South Korea) BBC1 & BBC iPlayer live from the Education City Stadium at 1pm GMT

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

In which case, drop out some of the ancient defenders.  You can make a case for them starting if they've got an understanding with the keeper which goes back years and years.  If you want to play a different keeper, you may as well put some fresher legs in the back line as well.

If the keeper has lost it you have to get rid, you can't afford more clangers or play deeper to compensate.

2 minutes ago, brez22 said:

Reflective of the wider picture of there not being many top quality strikers out there at the moment.  Not helped by some of the more prolific strikers like Benzema, Haaland, Osimhen, Immobile not being there. 

And that lots of teams are happy to play without them so there are fewer forwards in general.

3 minutes ago, Darius1998 said:

I've seen him play for at least 8 years and I still don't see what Caceres is good at.

I've watched him since he was at Barcelona in 2008 and at various other clubs and for Uruguay at the WC in that time and he's simply a utility man. CB/FB/WB, defensively minded. Had a good career I guess. 

Edited by craigcwwe

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Fair result. 

Uruguay didn't have enough courage in themselves going forward. 

I think they lack a full back that can get forward. Caceres is obviously defensive-minded but Olivera was poor going forward as well. Ended up with Pellistri and Nunez both being isolated out wide.

Uruguay couldn't afford a high back line, and don't really have a creative midfielder a la Modrić- they are all box-to-box or defensive MF-s. They prevented Korea from using their pace, and threatened from long passes and set pieces. As a fan of South Korea, I will take the point.